Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Painting

Once again I had already painted Boba per you IA guide :)

Still, amazing work as always! (I also saw you put up the guide for the IA Thrawn! Now I need to go get him and paint him!)

So happy i waited for the Legion version of Boba video, so amazing! Will be splatting some paints on him as soon i've done all rest of the rebels!

On 11/15/2018 at 6:22 PM, Thevshi said:

Once again I had already painted Boba per you IA guide :)

Still, amazing work as always! (I also saw you put up the guide for the IA Thrawn! Now I need to go get him and paint him!)

2 hours ago, xmarkusx said:

So happy i waited for the Legion version of Boba video, so amazing! Will be splatting some paints on him as soon i've done all rest of the rebels!

Thanks a lot guys! I'm really glad you enjoyed the Boba episode 😃

@Sorastro what primer would you use in place of Mechanicus Standard Grey for use with an airbrush?

Looking to do the vehicles and your guides use Mechanicus spray primer but I try to always use an airbrush as I find the finish is smoother than that I get with the rattle can.

On 11/25/2018 at 5:52 PM, ThumperLOLZ said:

@Sorastro what primer would you use in place of Mechanicus Standard Grey for use with an airbrush?

Looking to do the vehicles and your guides use Mechanicus spray primer but I try to always use an airbrush as I find the finish is smoother than that I get with the rattle can.

Hi Thumper! Sorry for the late reply.. I'd strongly recommend the Badger Stynylrez Grey Primer. It's a fair bit darker than the Vallejo's Grey Primer, and very close in tone to Mechanicus Standard Grey. 😃

On 11/25/2018 at 12:52 PM, ThumperLOLZ said:

There is also Mechanicus Standard Grey (Air) right from Games Workshop with you want it.

4 hours ago, Skyguard said:

There is also Mechanicus Standard Grey (Air) right from Games Workshop with you want it.

Hi Skyguard! I'm not sure that's an actual primer..?

17 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Hi Thumper! Sorry for the late reply.. I'd strongly recommend the Badger Stynylrez Grey Primer. It's a fair bit darker than the Vallejo's Grey Primer, and very close in tone to Mechanicus Standard Grey. 😃

Would you also recommend the stynylrez black and white primers or would one of the offerings from vallejo be a better choice?

I've been looking for some basic airbrushing supplies since I splurged for a brush on kickstarter in an attempt to be able to keep zenithal priming and spray varnishing despite going into the cold season.

Do you know if the white is a pure white or closer to corax white?

19 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Hi Thumper! Sorry for the late reply.. I'd strongly recommend the Badger Stynylrez Grey Primer  . It's a fair bit darker than the Vallejo's Grey Primer, and very close in tone to Mechanicus Standard Grey. 😃

16 hours ago, Skyguard said:

Thankyou for the suggestion!! I'll pick it up straight away and try it out! The Mechanicus Standard Grey (Air) by CW is indeed not a primer so wouldn't work and if I primed black/white it would affect the end shade of the grey.

3 hours ago, aniron said:

Would you also recommend the stynylrez black and white primers or would one of the offerings from vallejo be a better choice?

I've been looking for some basic airbrushing supplies since I splurged for a brush on kickstarter in an attempt to be able to keep zenithal priming and spray varnishing despite going into the cold season.

Do you know if the white is a pure white or closer to corax white?

Hey! I only recently purchased the Badger black, white, and grey primers but yes I think I prefer them to the Vallejo ones and would recommend them. And yes, the white is a pure white :)

Ive been watching your videos preparing to paint my own core set. I'm trying to learn zenith lighting never done it before, any specific advice? Also with the stormtroopers do you leave the primer you use exposed? I was under the impression that that was a no no.

On 11/28/2018 at 3:26 PM, Sorastro said:

Hi Skyguard! I'm not sure that's an actual primer..?

Is the spray can version of Mechanicus Standard Grey an actual primer or just a paint? The game workshop website only states " Mechanicus Standard Grey is designed for basecoating all Citadel miniatures. When sprayed over an undercoat , it's a fast way to get a uniform base of colour onto your models." which implies that it isn't really a primer either.

Edited by Skyguard
24 minutes ago, Skyguard said:

Is the spray can version of Mechanicus Standard Grey an actual primer or just a paint? The game workshop website only states " Mechanicus Standard Grey is designed for basecoating all Citadel miniatures. When sprayed over an undercoat , it's a fast way to get a uniform base of colour onto your models." which implies that it isn't really a primer either.

Interesting! Whether the spray-can MSG is technically a primer or not, it sure goes on the mini and provides a nice coat for painting on - just like a primer. I've not tried the airbrush MSG however so can't compare the two. It could be that it's the same..? :)

On 12/4/2018 at 2:29 AM, Ocule said:

Ive been watching your videos preparing to paint my own core set. I'm trying to learn zenith lighting never done it before, any specific advice? Also with the stormtroopers do you leave the primer you use exposed? I was under the impression that that was a no no.

Hi Ocule!

Sorry for the late reply; your comment sneaked under my radar! For most of my stormtroopers after priming with the off white, you can see I actually used Vallejo's Dead White (which isn't a primer) to provide the white highlights from above. However, I didn't have any problem using the Tamiya fine white surface primer to provide the highlights on those that I tested it on.

To be clear though, this isn't how I would paint white if I was painting a single hero figure or something because I would usually build up the tone using off-whites/creams etc to create more nuance and volume, but for masses of stormtoopers I think it's a nice quick way to get them ready for the table. :)

Hi folks!

I've got another PDF guide for anyone who might be interested in trying a camo variant for their Scout Troopers. You can download the PDF for free HERE . Enjoy!

45292998965_3a55a50f5a_b.jpg

Thanks for the reply, ive been painting a bit and trying to get into the groove of it. Though the first two i ended up with a wash that tried to mimic nuln oil, was vallejo glaze medium and pure black paint watered down a little bit. Was thinking of trying to lighten them up a bit though im starting to wonder if the wash was overkill on a white mini. Sorry for the poor picture quality im still learning. Its been a good year or so since ive touched a brush.

47579242_234343080614219_4250728772073947136_n.jpg

17 hours ago, Ocule said:

Thanks for the reply, ive been painting a bit and trying to get into the groove of it. Though the first two i ended up with a wash that tried to mimic nuln oil, was vallejo glaze medium and pure black paint watered down a little bit. Was thinking of trying to lighten them up a bit though im starting to wonder if the wash was overkill on a white mini. Sorry for the poor picture quality im still learning. Its been a good year or so since ive touched a brush.

47579242_234343080614219_4250728772073947136_n.jpg

Hi Ocule!

Firstly - well done! He doesn't look too bad at all (many people forget to paint the black band across the front of the helmet!). There are so many ways to paint any figure, and the stormtroopers are no different. For my preferred way of painting large numbers of the Legion stormtroopers you can see in my video that I chose not to shade the figure, but draw in the dark lining by hand to avoid having to spend time highlighting the white armour back up again. You may of course prefer to do what I did with my IA stormtroopers and shade the whole mini to more easily define the recesses - you'll just then probably want to spend time highlighting the white armour which can be a bit of a pain. Some people even like to dry brush their stormtroopers from black or grey all the way up to pure white (and then paint the dark details). I think it's good to explore a range of options and go with what works for you! :)

Any news when we could expect Palpatine video? I painted SW:IA Palpatine freehand and would really love to try your vision of Legion's version!

1 hour ago, xmarkusx said:

Any news when we could expect Palpatine video? I painted SW:IA Palpatine freehand and would really love to try your vision of Legion's version!

Hi! I'm actually not yet sure whether I'll cover Palpatine as a video or not as I fairly recently covered the Imperial Assault Palpatine miniature and I'm not sure whether there's much that I would do differently (except I wouldn't do the force lightning effects of course). :)

Edited by Sorastro
Spelling mistake
18 minutes ago, Sorastro said:

Hi! I'm actually not yet sure whether I'll cover Palpatine as a video or not as I fairly recently covered the Imperial Assault Palpatine miniature and I'm not sure whether there's much that I would do differently (except I would do the force lightning effects of course). :)

Thanks! I'll then head onto IA -video and follow that :)

2 minutes ago, xmarkusx said:

Thanks! I'll then head onto IA -video and follow that :)

Cool - (I meant to say "except I wouldn't do the force lightning effects..") :)

1 minute ago, Sorastro said:

Haha yeah i got you, not intending to try thath :)

44 minutes ago, Sorastro said:

Maybe hide a Van Der Graff generator under the base, then ask your opponent to move him for you? 🙂 *cackles evilly*

Sorastro. Huge fan and i use all your videos and guids. Can you advise on a color for the imp gurd undergarments? Based on thr ffg paintings its like a darker red and im terrible with colors. Was hoping you could advise so ibcan start painting them asap. Thank you!!

2 hours ago, Shecian said:

Sorastro. Huge fan and i use all your videos and guids. Can you advise on a color for the imp gurd undergarments? Based on thr ffg paintings its like a darker red and im terrible with colors. Was hoping you could advise so ibcan start painting them asap. Thank you!!

Hi Shecian! Thanks a lot! It looks like they've used quite a dark pink-ish tone for the arms and legs, and I think Screamer Pink (if you're using Citadel paints) would be a close match. You could then add some gentle highlights by mixing in a little ivory or cream (like Screaming Skull) perhaps. :)