I was happy with my Speeder.

I am now not happy with my speeder.

I was happy with Sorastro

I am now not happy with Sorastro

:D

Lol Vayasan :)

On 26/04/2018 at 3:42 PM, Sorastro said:

I'm using artists sponge

Amazing isnt it. Theres now such a thing as “Artist’s Sponge”. If anyone else told me this I’d say they were having a laugh, but no. Its real

7 minutes ago, Jabby said:

Amazing isnt it. Theres now such a thing as “Artist’s Sponge”. If anyone else told me this I’d say they were having a laugh, but no. Its real

Don't waste your money on one.

If you want a good painting sponge, go to the hardware store and get some of the rough paint sponges there and break/cut it apart for use. It costs a heck of a lot less and is the exact same thing.

Of course, normally, you can also just grab a fresh kitchen sponge and do the exact same thing, but is a bit more difficult to use.

Also, those sponges are not the same as what's used for paintbrush sponges...those are an entirely different type of sponge and one that is no good for what was done here.

18 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

I was happy with my Speeder.

I am now not happy with my speeder.

I was happy with Sorastro

I am now not happy with Sorastro

:D

every single time I paint something he hasn't done yet.

I'm just waiting for my some wash on the base of my Veers to dry so I can put him on and put on gloss coats.

A month from now I will be super disappointed with my half done job.

(the afforementioned "half done job")

Wy3nFKF.jpg

Edited by Zrob314
4 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

every single time I paint something he hasn't done yet.

I'm just waiting for my some wash on the base of my Veers to dry so I can put him on and put on gloss coats.

A month from now I will be super disappointed with my half done job.

Wy3nFKF.jpg

Take it from me, your Veers is great.

What are you going to gloss, boots n goggles?

7 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Take it from me, your Veers is great.

What are you going to gloss, boots n goggles?

Already glossed.

slightly thinned satin varnish on boots, gloves and holster.

'ardcoat on google lenses.

12 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

Really lovely work Zrob! :)

13 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

the afforementioned "half done job")

I really like this. My Veers is supposed to arrive today but it may be a while before I get to him. What color did you use for his coat and for the wash?

On 4/28/2018 at 10:29 AM, BigBadAndy said:

I really like this. My Veers is supposed to arrive today but it may be a while before I get to him. What color did you use for his coat and for the wash?

I used the mechanicus standard grey with death world forest that Sorastro used in the General Weiss video for the armor.

For the fabric I used Vallejo German Uniform washed with Citadel Athonian Camoshade/Agrax Earthshade (50/50) then highlighted in three steps with base color for the first then mixed in increasing levels of administratum grey for the other two.

Edited by Zrob314

Tried the brush on Vallejo Grey surface primer (70.601) and it's really thin. After 3-4 coats it was finally starting to give an opaque covering, but didn't look too even to me, although it was smooth. If I was fully painting over it I expect it'd be fine after a single coat or two, but not for leaving any visible.

Picked up a can of Grey Primer spray from Halfords and that put on a very nice fully covered thin layer. Certainly going to be using that for priming the vehicles and rebels I think. I'd put it closer to Mechanicus Grey than the Corax White though. Just doing zenithal highlights with the White Fine Surface Primer left it a little too grey looking, so I did an extra coat from above and more from the sides too.

Still looking a little more on the light grey side than white, but, I think it'll be a good base to work from :)

Edited by DwainDibbly

@Sorastro

Tried some of your weathering tips and I think it looks much less factory new.

I wasn’t quite brave enough to try weathering the windows, but your rust effect is quite easy to do.

C836AFC5-BFA4-41C3-9C11-8224407D5177.jpeg

Edited by Orkimedes
Just now, Orkimedes said:

@Sorastro

I wasn’t quite brave enough to try weathering the windows, but your rust effect is quite easy to do.

78245398-D149-4286-9FAD-4926AFF39C33.jpeg

Superb work Orkimedes! I think you've shown admiral restraint there and added just enough to provide some character. :)

4 hours ago, Orkimedes said:

@Sorastro

Great work @Orkimedes !

- - - - -

4 hours ago, Sorastro said:

... admiral restraint...

Too cautious to ever fall for a 'trap!'.

Hey @Sorastro , or anyone else who can provide some assistance, I have a Speeder Bike question.

I recently traded my core-set rebels for a local player's core-set Imperials. Unfortunately, although unpainted, he had begun to assemble his Speeder Bikes. He has attached them to the base via the transparent mount. He he also glues in the handlebars and the arms (so the scout's aren't coming off) but he hasn't glued them down onto the seat (so I can move them around a little bit).

My question is, what is the best way to go about painting these guys?

I'm planning to wrap the transparent stand in Painter's Tape. Aside from that, I think spraying with white instead of grey would be optimal, and I can paint the Scouts like the Stormtroopers? I can't highlight the scouts without also highlighting the bikes with the white. I don't think spraying white instead of grey will alter the colours too much, but I thought I'd check in for some opinions. Am I missing anything else about painting this situation?

11 minutes ago, Copes said:

Hey @Sorastro , or anyone else who can provide some assistance, I have a Speeder Bike question.

I recently traded my core-set rebels for a local player's core-set Imperials. Unfortunately, although unpainted, he had begun to assemble his Speeder Bikes. He has attached them to the base via the transparent mount. He he also glues in the handlebars and the arms (so the scout's aren't coming off) but he hasn't glued them down onto the seat (so I can move them around a little bit).

I'm planning to wrap the transparent stand in Painter's Tape. Aside from that, I think spraying with white instead of grey would be optimal, and I can paint the Scouts like the Stormtroopers? I can't highlight the scouts without also highlighting the bikes with the white. I don't think spraying white instead of grey will alter the colours too much, but I thought I'd check in for some opinions. Am I missing anything else about painting this situation?

Hey Copes, I spray painted my speeder bikes white, and i don't think it made a big difference at all.

26 minutes ago, Copes said:

Hi Copes!

I wouldn't worry too much to be honest; you may as well just complete the assembly by gluing the bikers down, then after taping the stand I'd just prime in black or grey, then blast with white from above.

I would then probably paint the bikes first; the dry brushing bit might be a little fiddly with the bikers on the bike but if you pain the bikes first you can then touch up the bikers where they've been hit with the dry brush. :)

2 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Hi Copes!

I wouldn't worry too much to be honest; you may as well just complete the assembly by gluing the bikers down, then after taping the stand I'd just prime in black or grey, then blast with white from above.

I would then probably paint the bikes first; the dry brushing bit might be a little fiddly with the bikers on the bike but if you pain the bikes first you can then touch up the bikers where they've been hit with the dry brush. :)

3 hours ago, MightyPenguin said:

Hey Copes, I spray painted my speeder bikes white, and i don't think it made a big difference at all.

Thank you both, that's all great news. I haven't tried Zenithal Highlighting before, so maybe I'll give it a try for these bikes and see how it works. I was a little worried when he had done some gluing, but ultimately I wanted the extra Imperials. Happy to hear it'll be okay!

@Sorastro your videos are real inspiration for me, and I've learned lot of new techniques thanks to you!

I did my first AT-RT following your tutorial, with the 2 brushes I have, and my 5 basic paints that I mixed to reach more or less your colors.

I still have to finish the pilot and the base, but these pictures are some kind of "thank you"!

IMG_7755.jpg

IMG_7757.jpg

IMG_7758.jpg

IMG_7759.jpg

Edited by Ritalbringer
10 minutes ago, Ritalbringer said:

Those AT-RT's look amazing like the texture and the overall finish.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:22 AM, Ritalbringer said:

@Sorastro your videos are real inspiration for me, and I've learned lot of new techniques thanks to you!

I did my first AT-RT following your tutorial, with the 2 brushes I have, and my 5 basic paints that I mixed to reach more or less your colors.

I still have to finish the pilot and the base, but these pictures are some kind of "thank you"!

IMG_7755.jpg

Hi Ritalbringer!

Thanks for the kind words and for sharing your AT-RT; he looks fantastic! :)

On 5/7/2018 at 4:37 AM, Copes said:

You could also soak the models in Simple Green dilluted 50/50 over a few days. It should break down the super glue and allow you to paint them separately.

@Sorastro

Hi Sorastro,

Just wanted to thank you for the wonderful videos on youtube.

I applied some of the tips on my first 800 pt army!

20180512_221522.jpg

20180512_221530.jpg

20180512_221542.jpg

Looking forward to the fleet trooper and rebel commando vids!

14 minutes ago, makotosato said:

@Sorastro

Hi Sorastro,

Just wanted to thank you for the wonderful videos on youtube.

I applied some of the tips on my first 800 pt army!

20180512_221522.jpg

20180512_221530.jpg

20180512_221542.jpg

Looking forward to the fleet trooper and rebel commando vids!

That's really fantastic work makotosato! Thanks for sharing :)

Hi Sarastro,

Just been looking thru your thread and have also checked out a few of your youtube tutorials and I have to say simply amazing work mate and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Ron

On 5/16/2018 at 1:08 AM, hemblecreations said:

Hi Sarastro,

Just been looking thru your thread and have also checked out a few of your youtube tutorials and I have to say simply amazing work mate and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Ron

Thanks so much Ron! I really appreciate that. Veers should be landing any day now... :)