Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Painting

11 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

@ Sorastro

Is the Airspeeder likely to be any time soon? I am possibly starting mine this weekend and I love drawing a lot of inspiration from your brilliant vids then adding a few different things too.

Hi Vayasan! I'll be finishing my T-47 soon, but I can't say exactly when the video will get a release due to the uncertain length of the approval process :)

On 4/7/2018 at 2:37 AM, Sorastro said:

Hi Vayasan! I'll be finishing my T-47 soon, but I can't say exactly when the video will get a release due to the uncertain length of the approval process :)

What is the weirdest comment you've gotten back from LFL?

Well, @Sorastro , thanks is in large part to the pleasure I have gotten out of watching your IA videos and painting those minis (I finished the core set, Han, Chewbacca and I have Boba Fett primed) I went ahead and picked up the Legion starter box. Now I’m staring at a very intimidating pile of parts and both anxious/excited to get started.

One quick question. Do you wash these before you prime them? Lots of people seem to insist this is required, but it seems like a lot of work for dubious benefit to me.

Edited by BigBadAndy
2 minutes ago, BigBadAndy said:

Well, @sorastro, thanks is in large part to the pleasure I have gotten out of watching your IA videos and painting those minis (I finished the core set, Han, Chewbacca and I have Boba Fett primed) I went ahead and picked up the Legion starter box. Now I’m staring at a very intimidating pile of parts and both anxious/excited to get started.

One quick question. Do you wash these before you prime them? Lots of people seem to insist this is required, but it seems like a lot of work for dubious benefit to me.

Ive painted miniatures for decades and never washed em and everythings been fine.

First time ever I washed the Legion figures...just to avoid any doubt. I guess the answer is .....you do not need to.

However, spending a little time doing it removes any doubt in your mind.

7 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

Ive painted miniatures for decades and never washed em and everythings been fine.

First time ever I washed the Legion figures...just to avoid any doubt. I guess the answer is .....you do not need to.

However, spending a little time doing it removes any doubt in your mind.

Thanks man. I have a jewelry cleaner that I picked up to strip minis (mostly so I know I could if I ever decide I hate one I did). I’m thinking I might just toss them in there with plain water and run it for a minute or two. Then at least I don’t have to try to rinse the soap off. I’m worried I will lose a tiny arm down the sink!

11 hours ago, flightmaster101 said:

What is the weirdest comment you've gotten back from LFL?

Hey! Nothing weird really - I think they mostly check that I'm not using bad language or discussing plot spoilers/speculation etc. :)

31 minutes ago, BigBadAndy said:

Well, @Sorastro , thanks is in large part to the pleasure I have gotten out of watching your IA videos and painting those minis (I finished the core set, Han, Chewbacca and I have Boba Fett primed) I went ahead and picked up the Legion starter box. Now I’m staring at a very intimidating pile of parts and both anxious/excited to get started.

Hi Andy!

I'm pretty much with Vayasan here; I don't usually find it necessary to clean minis prior to painting - and certainly didn't clean my Legion figures. The only time I really felt it was needed was with my core-box Descent minis as some of them really did have release agent on that made it very difficult for the paint to adhere to the models in places. I have also scrubbed one or two others in the past - such as the Blood Rage monsters - because they looked a little greasy and I wanted to be safe. :)

5 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Hey! Nothing weird really - I think they mostly check that I'm not using bad language or discussing plot spoilers/speculation etc. :)

Good to know. I was just curious if you ever turned an ep in and they started asking if you could use a different skin/hair color for Luke, or some out of left field thing that executives seem to do to technical people.

Looking forward to your Airspeeder video Sorastro!

While I am mainly focused on getting the paints I need to finish up my Legion minis, I am probably going to start on some of my IA minis as well. (Not sure I am up for Stromtroopers again just now as I finish up my Legion ones :D )

I’m looking forward to the airspeeder too. @Sorastro on a lark you should send them a version with thebaorspeeder guns mounted upside down - since everyone seems to do that, and see if they catch it.

3 hours ago, BigBadAndy said:

I’m looking forward to the airspeeder too. @Sorastro on a lark you should send them a version with thebaorspeeder guns mounted upside down - since everyone seems to do that, and see if they catch it.

Lol Andy! I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it - even in jest :)

They won't catch upside down guns. Now if the speeder guns were made phallic they would go crazy. Disney can be very thuggish when they want to be. They will send Goofy over to Sorastro's house to do things to his terrain that just isn't natural.

WIP, Rebel Troopers led by Gideon Argus with uniforms inspired by Fenn Signis

(it's super weird to hear the tamber of your voice on the old videos)

5lEMDLG.jpg

Edited by Zrob314
4 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

WIP, Rebel Troopers led by Gideon Argus with uniforms inspired by Fenn Signis

(it's super weird to hear the tamber of your voice on the old videos)

5lEMDLG.jpg

Hey fantastic work Zrob!

Ha - yes, I have certainly honed my vocal delivery over the years, and investing in an outrageously-good microphone since then also helps! I rarely like to look at my older stuff but I'm glad it's still proving useful :)

2 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Hey fantastic work Zrob!

Ha - yes, I have certainly honed my vocal delivery over the years, and investing in an outrageously-good microphone since then also helps! I rarely like to look at my older stuff but I'm glad it's still proving useful :)

I constantly refer to your old videos. Sometimes it's for a specific color or technique. Recently I referenced the IA AT-ST videos for the Legion AT-ST and the Hovertank for my T-47 because I have been impatient waiting for those to get published.

28 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

I constantly refer to your old videos. Sometimes it's for a specific color or technique. Recently I referenced the IA AT-ST videos for the Legion AT-ST and the Hovertank for my T-47 because I have been impatient waiting for those to get published.

Cool! You do know the AT-ST video was published last month though? :)

54 minutes ago, Sorastro said:

Cool! You do know the AT-ST video was published last month though? :)

Yes, three days after I finished mine. :wacko:

You'd said on patreon that you were finishing your legion work and I interpreted that to mean that you wouldn't be doing tutorials past the base set. I also couldn't leave my AT-ST headless. Though I guess I could have painted the mounting post to look like BB-8.

12 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

Yes, three days after I finished mine. :wacko:

You'd said on patreon that you were finishing your legion work and I interpreted that to mean that you wouldn't be doing tutorials past the base set. I also couldn't leave my AT-ST headless. Though I guess I could have painted the mounting post to look like BB-8.

Ah ok! I think I mentioned my Legion output was reducing to a more manageable level post launch, but I still intend to cover all of the releases - some as videos and the rest as quick colour guides :)

Sorastro, I can understand you not necessarily feel some of your older work is as good as it could be, but as others have said, I still find ALL of your videos super useful! I have already used some of those older techniques for Legion and certainly will be applying many for when I get to a point where I can go back and start painting my IA minis :D

its normal to not like your old videos. I dont know a single youtuber that can look at their early stuff and not cringe.
Doesnt change how useful/neat they are.

Edited by Vineheart01
2 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

its normal to not like your old videos. I dont know a single youtuber that can look at their early stuff and not cringe.

It’s like that for everything. In my early 30’s I read a journal I kept while I was in high school and early college. Sweet Jesus getting stale in a cookie jar, what a terrible read.

On 10/04/2018 at 3:12 AM, BigBadAndy said:

Thanks man. I have a jewelry cleaner that I picked up to strip minis (mostly so I know I could if I ever decide I hate one I did). I’m thinking I might just toss them in there with plain water and run it for a minute or two. Then at least I don’t have to try to rinse the soap off. I’m worried I will lose a tiny arm down the sink!

I'm usually a non-washer, and even made a video on the subject. But with some of the troop models for Legion, I definitely found there were some issues when I primed them without washing. There were signs of mold release agent (tiny bubbly areas in various spots where the primer didn't settle properly). It's probably not enough to bother either way I guess.

22 hours ago, Thevshi said:

Sorastro, I can understand you not necessarily feel some of your older work is as good as it could be, but as others have said, I still find ALL of your videos super useful! I have already used some of those older techniques for Legion and certainly will be applying many for when I get to a point where I can go back and start painting my IA minis :D

22 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

Thanks folks - I really appreciate that!

I try to balance the need to be self critical with an appreciation of how past works can offer a measure of how far I've come - partly in terms of my own painting, but also in the production values of the videos. I think I should be more worried if I looked back and didn't see any marked improvement!

Generally though I'm with Edna Mole from The Incredibles when she says "I never look back darling. It distracts from the now." :)

Edited by Sorastro

*distracts

??

22 minutes ago, MiniJunkie said:

*distracts

??

Good catch! :)

So with all the painting and videoing ... have you gotten to play much Legion?