MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

First attempt at an engine. The pointy part at the front? That's half of an old school Imperial Guard Leman Russ searchlight.

QYG24cO.jpg

So you do custom X-Wing ships?
Still looking for someone to do some extra wings on an Upsilon...

1 minute ago, Celestial Lizards said:

You see, I want to chop off about 1/3 of my upsilon's wings.

1 minute ago, Celestial Lizards said:

Just now, Yakostovian said:

You see, I want to chop off about 1/3 of my upsilon's wings.

Sounds like you two need to do a trade. @Yakostovian cuts 1/3 of his wings off and @Celestial Lizards glues them to his model. Everyone wins. :P

6 hours ago, ZealuxMyr said:

Sounds like you two need to do a trade. @Yakostovian cuts 1/3 of his wings off and @Celestial Lizards glues them to his model. Everyone wins. :P

They totally should!

Anyway, current build progress. With most major pieces complete I've begun the process of detailing the ship.

gtk3yqB.jpg

PM3V4RA.jpg

Detailed the underside of the rear/cargo bay. I installed some pretty heavy duty landing gear struts in each corner of the thing.

4Wc0mh5.jpg

Updated and improved engine design.

QhMCTWJ.jpg

The top of the cargo bay has been further detailed and received a much needed engine installation.

7EHVTAV.jpg

More detailing on the front/bridge. The gun pods are magnetized but only for storage purposes.

99Uebeg.jpg

And finished! This is a rather big ship, about 15.5 cm long (14.5 excluding gun barrels), 13.5 cm wide and 6.2 cm tall (5.2 without fins). For comparison a VCX-100 is about 16.5 x 12.5 x 5.5 cm, which means it's still a bigger ship though not by much.

i69AEti.jpg

MrL1NEn.jpg

3gEjhai.jpg

7tZ5trJ.jpg

mqXAZHp.jpg

t4eIr90.jpg

1 hour ago, MacrossVF1 said:

Karabast! That's a thing of beauty.

9 hours ago, patox said:

Karabast! That's a thing of beauty.

Very good work.

Now time to paint and get finished!!

Looks it’s going to be a really good ship, congratulations

On February 11, 2018 at 2:05 PM, MacrossVF1 said:

And finished! This is a rather big ship, about 15.5 cm long (14.5 excluding gun barrels), 13.5 cm wide and 6.2 cm tall (5.2 without fins). For comparison a VCX-100 is about 16.5 x 12.5 x 5.5 cm, which means it's still a bigger ship though not by much.

i69AEti.jpg

MrL1NEn.jpg

3gEjhai.jpg

7tZ5trJ.jpg

mqXAZHp.jpg

t4eIr90.jpg

SWEET!

And bonus: now you can do an all-TV-show force!

nice... I want one. lol

I can now also safely say the Lego Star Wars show had a better ending than Rebels.

On 3/6/2018 at 3:00 PM, BenderIsGreat said:

I can now also safely say the Lego Star Wars show had a better ending than Rebels.

How so?

And here is the finished product. Enjoy!

6xS3aCX.jpg

sOF3AAm.jpg

vgc6gqh.jpg

1c90UIt.jpg

3EzV6KB.jpg

DX2uhpd.jpg

Lw805Vh.jpg

2 hours ago, MacrossVF1 said:

And here is the finished product. Enjoy!

6xS3aCX.jpg

Glorious!

Ready for Rowan, Kordi, Zander, and R0-GR!

Strong work! Now get that thing scanned for @melminiatures . lol

**** that is pro.

It was a long wait. But well worth it

Edited by IDieALot

Sexy beast!! Oh, and nice paint job. :P :wub:

Also, is it just me, or does it look like it needs windshield wiper blades on the cockpit windows....?

:blink: :P

On 7/24/2017 at 3:11 PM, MacrossVF1 said:

Double post today, because here's better pictures of the shuttle.

The shuttle should ideally have been equipped with folding wings, but I couldn't find any hinges small enough for the job. Instead I built it with permanently folded wings. It also has been 'improved' in the same manner as its parent ship.

rD2w7Tv.jpg

hKqm00B.jpg

XWT8Vq6.jpg

heFGNog.jpg

yq2P17C.jpg

I've been looking for a past article on hinge making but couldn't find it. A modeler used hypodermic needles and fine piano wire to make very tiny hinges. Basically he cut the needle into an odd number of equal lengths and super glued them to the model. IIRC, he was making working doors for the equipment boxes on a fire truck. Odd numbered sections of the needles were glued to the model and even numbered sections to the door making a tiny piano hinge. The hardest part is cutting the hardened needles and crushing the ends.

Albion Metals makes some VERY tiny tubing that may be usable for this application.

4 hours ago, Stoneface said:

I've been looking for a past article on hinge making but couldn't find it. A modeler used hypodermic needles and fine piano wire to make very tiny hinges. Basically he cut the needle into an odd number of equal lengths and super glued them to the model. IIRC, he was making working doors for the equipment boxes on a fire truck. Odd numbered sections of the needles were glued to the model and even numbered sections to the door making a tiny piano hinge. The hardest part is cutting the hardened needles and crushing the ends.

Albion Metals makes some VERY tiny tubing that may be usable for this application.

I kinda figured it would have to be a custom solution like the one you describe above. Still, it's good information and I will definitely check out Albion Metals. Thanks mate!

6 hours ago, MacrossVF1 said:

I kinda figured it would have to be a custom solution like the one you describe above. Still, it's good information and I will definitely check out Albion Metals. Thanks mate!

I wish I could find the article because it described in detail how the guy did it. He also fabricated the working quarter turn latches for the equipment bins. Not very useful in this scale but a nice how-to on thinking outside the box.

You do such nice work it is amazing!