MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Wow.

Not perhaps the most noteworthy of news, but it's a big thing for me. I finally have my own private corner to paint, a little dungeon of colour one could almost say.

Previously all my painting has been done in a basement where my local gaming group gathers. However I needed more space and it wasn't fair that my stuff cluttered up the gaming room. So I checked with the landlord where I live and he had a storage room available in the basement, almost directly below my own apartment. Best of all, I don't even have to pay any extra for it!

While all my stuff has been moved already, some additional organising is needed, and I'm in dire need of a better spray booth. The cardboard box that I've previously used just isn't going to cut it any more so I'm in the process of building a proper spray booth. Buying a commercial one however is out of the question. Most that are in my price range are too small, and those that are big enough are ridiculously expensive. In any case, I'm certainly a happy camper!

Oh and if you squint really hard you can get a glimpse of what I'm currently working on.

Falcon and consular colored Blockade Runner?

good for you man!

it is really great when you can have your own corner to phase out and enjoy painting, congrats!

Macross,

I figured you would help me with a painting problem I have (not for X-wing).

I have a model of a 1:48 P-51 that I have, naturally, painted with silver Testors enamel paints.

When I tried to put a black wash on it, the silver immediately came off and covered my brush and got in the wash.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to use an acrylic wash on enamel paint?

Recently, I had the same problem on an E-Wing using Revell Silver enamel paint. The wash consisting of black enamel and Revell thinner made the silver come off. I never had this effect before using any other enamel base color. You could try to add a layer of gloss acrylic paint on top of the silver and then do the wash. The acrylic paint should not be affected by the enamel wash. However, let me suggest you do the wash with oil instead of enamel as described here.

http://www.justanothersnakecult.com/x-wing-miniatures/oil-washing-x-wing-miniatures/

I mix acrylic and enamel paints a lot on my X-Wings minis, never had a problem with this combination. I prefer acrylic paints for base colors and then the enamels for weathering - especially drybrushing works better with enamels. Never experienced any melting. I use Revell enamel colors, they are explicitly designed for painting plastic models.

Hmm ok, so I just need some gloss.

WonderGecko got it kinda right, I'm currently repainting a Corvette. What I've got here is a preview, I estimate I'm about 70% done. Ironically, Sixwood just posted a similarly painted Tantive IV. *Shakes fist at meddling kids* :D

RepCR90_6.jpg

.... sooo Macross. How's your shuttle going?

I loved watching the build, do you have any plans for the next project?

Hopefully we will see the shuttle painted in a few weeks however it will not be by my hands. I was only commisioned to build it, nothing else.

On the other hand I can tell that I will next paint another Krayt Fang.

Edited by MacrossVF1

I look forward to seeing it .. truly.

You're X-Wings particularly make me druel.

Finished Corvette! I would have liked to have more pictures but my photo set-up can barely handle a model of this size so these will have to do.

*Edit* I've re-uploaded the pictures as there were some strange background artifacts left from the editing process. I didn't notice them myself until I changed the contrast and brightness on my monitor. These should look much better. Also, I managed to find who made the source picture! http://dlamont.deviantart.com/art/Corellian-CR90E-D-342716239

uc?export=download&id=1A54I8bU-LojL_EIDl

uc?export=download&id=1xnUBQuCe1WMcqyUET

Edited by MacrossVF1

And here's the promised Krayt Fang! It's actually the second one I paint and yet despite using mostly the same paints, mixes and techniques it's a somewhat different beast. Just goes to show the difference half a year of extra experience does.

uc?export=download&id=17NSa3moaU1YgGEbHi

uc?export=download&id=1pFGelMcrnK_laD5KT

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Oh wow really nice !

It seems that we have the similar tast with color schem ^^

I was planing to paint a Krayte fang yt too :) But i have totally fail the "brown" color so...

Oh wow really nice !

It seems that we have the similar tast with color schem ^^

I was planing to paint a Krayte fang yt too :) But i have totally fail the "brown" color so...

When I painted my first Krayt Fang I had to experiment quite a bit with several colours and mixes before I was pleased. In the end it was actually a rather simple mix, just a 1:1 mix of VGC Beasty Brown (Old GW Bestial Brown / New GW Mournfang Brown) and VGC Parasite Brown (Old GW Vermin Brown / New GW Skrag Brown. The paint guide I published on how I painted the first ship can be found here .

Edited by MacrossVF1

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!

Fella, I won't lie. I get excited when I see that there is a new post on this thread of yours. My heart drops when I see it is just a comment .. but every now and then BAM! You hit us with another spectacular repaint.

I really like your style of painting. It is very realistic yet vibrant. Weathering is subtle and not distracting, colour choices are strong but not overpowering .. just great.

May I ask, was the dish made from scratch?

Thank you for sharing.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!

Fella, I won't lie. I get excited when I see that there is a new post on this thread of yours. My heart drops when I see it is just a comment .. but every now and then BAM! You hit us with another spectacular repaint.

I really like your style of painting. It is very realistic yet vibrant. Weathering is subtle and not distracting, colour choices are strong but not overpowering .. just great.

May I ask, was the dish made from scratch?

Thank you for sharing.

I'm certainly happy that you are happy. :)

While I've grown up with Games Workshop's products and models and is still fairly rooted in that style of painting, I've seldom managed to achieve that particular look, and indeed I've never truly liked painting in that manner. In fact, X-wing models suit me quite well, I've always been better painting vehicles than organic models, and my fairly subtle style of painting works well on this scale.

And yes, the dish is scratchbuilt. It was inspired both by the dish found on the Tantive IV and the new dish for the episode 7 Millennium Falcon. Of course that's not the only modification I've made, a few of the access wells have been covered as well as some of the damage the ship already comes with.

Yeah, I noticed the open panels. I was going to comment but didn't want to blow too much wind into your sails

Latest commission and it is yet another Kath Scarlett! I think this is the fourth or fifth one I've painted and I would be honestly surprised if it's the last one. It is however slightly differently painted then the previous versions, most notably it has a few dark grey panels, and I've also tried something called hairspray chipping for the damaged areas.

The basic idea for this version comes from a bloke called Dave Fanjoy, nicknamed Heavy Gauss, so go take a look at his work .

uc?export=download&id=1PaJ9XMOLhRYv94Bvl

uc?export=download&id=1fMo0Ne9oOhuc75yUI

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

This here is the true E-wing. The Mk2 version! This is probably the smallest, yet most detailed, conversion I've yet done.

Credit goes both to MajorTom11 for giving me the idea in the first place and James McVay of the Science Fiction Modeler for his handsome looking E-wing Mk II Model that gave me the inspiration to paint the ship as Corran Horn's personal ride.

uc?export=download&id=18qS6cu_4-RvJAhhoc

uc?export=download&id=1VgmqtQNSVB6-XTvOX

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

That e wing is nice, but I dont understand putting the top gun further behind the cockpit.. when it fires it would blind the pilot.. better to chin mount it and keep the muzzel flash odf the canopy. Besides the way that works, the barrel slides forward with the canopy. Too many people are doing this and I think it looks odd...

But that really is a nice paint job, I admire your skill, and wish I could do more of my own painting. Trying to get a local guy to do some empirial ships for me so they stand out as different.

I m totally amazed by the precision of the highlights you paint.

I cannot paint as thinly.

Really cool ewing modification :)

That e wing is nice, but I dont understand putting the top gun further behind the cockpit.. when it fires it would blind the pilot.. better to chin mount it and keep the muzzel flash odf the canopy. Besides the way that works, the barrel slides forward with the canopy. Too many people are doing this and I think it looks odd...

But that really is a nice paint job, I admire your skill, and wish I could do more of my own painting. Trying to get a local guy to do some empirial ships for me so they stand out as different.

Yeah the top gun is really stupid. The thing is though a chin gun doesn't necessarily look good either, at least not without some additional modifications. If I ever do another one I think I'll just remove the top gun completely.

Hi MacrossVF1.

Very clean paintjob, as always.

I like your last Firespray too. I'm actually painting mine, so thanks for the ideas (I'll try to paint battle damages following your tutorial).

And now for my current project. I'm currently building a ship known as the Wayfarer-class Medium Transport . The Wiki claims the ship is 82m long but the commissioner is convinced it's closer to 40m and I have to kinda agree with him considering the Wiki has been wrong before.

TheRevenge_1.jpg

Anyway, I've started on the container part of the ship.

uc?export=download&id=1K7AGpmCj3NvmBGZCR

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates