Finding Rey a wing-man for the prom

By Flurpy, in X-Wing Squad Lists

That game gave me an idea* for a well determined debris: place one at range4 from your own edge and Rey will land on it with two 3straights. Or a bit more than range 4 from the opponent's edge, but then you have to make sure it is slightly further away (1 range ruler width) to not block the boost template.

Should be possible to take someone by surprise with that setup. It might also make sense to figure out where to place obstacles to allow for the 3straight 3bank 1bank chain.

edit: * or rather, helped me understand @gennataos ' idea

Edited by GreenDragoon

It is with a sad heart that I think I'm hanging up the Poe version of the list. I just can't get over the hump. Honestly, @GreenDragoon , I feel your last game is a favorable match-up. That's not to take away from the win or discourage you, but I think most 2-3 ship lists will be favorable match-ups. It's everything else which is just too much of a climb, I can't do it anymore. I'd love to see you make it happen, though!

I'm not sure where I'm going to go from here. I should probably revisit the 2 A-Wings, I didn't really give them much of a shot. It's kind of hard to believe that Rey would be better than 3, though.

I get that @gennataos , and I agree on the matchup. It depends on your local meta. Nobody here plays swarms, and even 5 ship lists are rather rare. See our latest local tournament for example , only two lists with 5 ships. 4 ships are normal. It's rough terrain for 5 Awings (I think?), but ReyPoe might do ok.

I hope you keep checking the thread a bit?

Questions for all:

1) what maneuvers would you expect for turn 2? Turn 3?

2) what maneuvers would you have chosen for turn 2 and turn 3?

3) Rather boost with Rey or rotate (in turn 2)?

Edited by GreenDragoon
2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I get that @gennataos , and I agree on the matchup. It depends on your local meta. Nobody here plays swarms, and even 5 ship lists are rather rare. See our latest local tournament for example , only two lists with 5 ships. 4 ships are normal. It's rough terrain for 5 Awings (I think?), but ReyPoe might do ok.

Questions for all:

Oh, I'll definitely keep tabs on the thread. I do absolutely love that Rey and I might just try 2 A-Wings more. What makes you feel that meta is tough for 5A? All the higher initiative stuff? I'm seriously considering revisiting 5A...I'm kind of floundering to figure out what's "useful" to play prior to points.

• Turn 2, probably a 1-forward or bank to the right. Turn 3, sloop.

• Actually, I would have probably red 4-F -> boosted with Rey turn 1. With that setup, there was a decent chance you'd catch one of his ships with Rey turn 1.
  • Given where you were, though, I'd have probably done a 1-straight on turn 2. Chances are none of them would have a shot on you without you having a return shot on that ship. 1 or 2 bank probably would have been fine, too, but I like the 1-forward to leave you open to do just about anything turn 3.
  • Turn 3, sloop.

• I, uh...never would have done that 3 bank in the first place, lol. If I was going to move away from them turn 2, I'd have done a hard turn away, planning for a sloop the next turn. Given what you did, though, I probably would have tried the boost as well. You were already kind of left hanging out there, so might as well try to gain some position. There's 3 rocks out there, and you flew right toward one of them! WTH! ;)

1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

Questions for all:

No offense to your opponent, but I think he misplayed both turns 2 and 3. Leaving Duchess out to dry and a horrible position for Deathrain on the second turn, and yeah even with that you only really had the option to either sloop or hard turn on the third turn, both of those options he should have easily covered.

That being said.

1) I wouldent have done the three forward on the first turn, in my opinion it looked you into an engagement with Deathrain one way or the other, I would have tried to isolate one of the ships or failing that run away until Deathrain makes a mistake and try to get an engagement only on Duchess or Vader.

2) If I am already in that position on turn 2 then I would have done the same.

3) Boost. Gets distance between the ships and you dont need to re-rotate on the sloop.

Watched this on my bus home for the holidays. I think it captures the spirit of the list nicely.

Merry Christmas to the hopeless few.

After reading this thread I’ve finally bit the bullet and packed up Rey for my next game night. Will report back on the inevitable thrashing since I’ve not put a large base turret on the table yet. Also merry Christmas!

On 12/24/2019 at 3:49 PM, gennataos said:

Actually, I would have probably red 4-F -> boosted with Rey turn 1. With that setup, there was a decent chance you'd catch one of his ships with Rey turn 1.

I think the punisher would be in range, yeah. And without a lock even.

Given where you were, though, I'd have probably done a 1-straight on turn 2. Chances are none of them would have a shot on you without you having a return shot on that ship. 1 or 2 bank probably would have been fine, too, but I like the 1-forward to leave you open to do just about anything turn 3.

I played around a bit after the game. The 1bank fit exactly before the punisher. Both 1 bank and straight would have eaten an advanced proton torp. I was scared of that, maybe too much. Rey'd have had 2-3 greens to defend against it.

I, uh...never would have done that 3 bank in the first place, lol. If I was going to move away from them turn 2, I'd have done a hard turn away, planning for a sloop the next turn. Given what you did, though, I probably would have tried the boost as well. You were already kind of left hanging out there, so might as well try to gain some position. There's 3 rocks out there, and you flew right toward one of them! WTH! ;)

Haha, I facepalmed a bit. It went better than expected, but very likely despite that maneuver, not because of it.

On 12/24/2019 at 4:55 PM, Flurpy said:

1) I wouldent have done the three forward on the first turn, in my opinion it looked you into an engagement with Deathrain one way or the other, I would have tried to isolate one of the ships or failing that run away until Deathrain makes a mistake and try to get an engagement only on Duchess or Vader.

I agree, I put myself in a bad position to start. Unless I'd have gone for the 4s+boost to quasi "isolate" Deathrain when only those two trade shots in the furst turn. Would you prefer a different setup for Rey to begin with? Does that mean you'd have put her into a corner, and if yes, which one? (Only Deathrain was already placed)

2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I agree, I put myself in a bad position to start. Unless I'd have gone for the 4s+boost to quasi "isolate" Deathrain when only those two trade shots in the furst turn. Would you prefer a different setup for Rey to begin with? Does that mean you'd have put her into a corner, and if yes, which one? (Only Deathrain was already placed)

You didn't ask me, but I liked the Rey placement. It gave you plenty of options for the first few turns. If you put her in a corner, you're often locked in to an engagement at some point, not necessarily of your choosing.

2 minutes ago, gennataos said:

You didn't ask me, but I liked the Rey placement. It gave you plenty of options for the first few turns. If you put her in a corner, you're often locked in to an engagement at some point, not necessarily of your choosing.

Appreciate it anyway. So far I placed her about 2:1 in the middle vs a corner, and I liked the middle more. For the reason you mention.

T-70 X-wing - •Ello Asty - 64
•Ello Asty - Born to Ill (56)
Crack Shot (1)
•M9-G8 (7)
Integrated S-foils (Open) (0)

Scavenged YT-1300 Light Freighter - •Rey - 93
•Rey - Resourceful Scavenger (73)
•Rose Tico (9)
•Korr Sella (6)
•Rey’s Millennium Falcon (5)

RZ-2 A-wing - •Tallissan Lintra - 41
•Tallissan Lintra - Deadly Approach (36)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Total: 198/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

I'll jump into this discussion a bit late, but I've tried to get Rey working off and on all year as well. I've tried Fat Rey/Poe, Various builds of Rey with A's, and an almost naked Rey + Poe / A-Wing. None of them really worked out all that well outside of favorable match-ups.

This is my current list, and the one I've been most happy with so far. Tallie isn't necessarily the best A-Wing here, but she's still I5 and can help keep Rey or Ello alive while plinking some damage

Took a tricked-out Rey along with Lulo + Tallie to the store last night and played against a Scum 3-ship list (Boba/Dengar/IN 4 Z-95). It's very powerful when facing a favorable match-up; only 3 enemy guns to worry about, and I happened to win the bid so my 3 ships moved after all but one of his (Dengar), and Dengar burned down in 2 rounds of shooting. Still, I'm not sure how to play this list when facing swarms or multiple mobile aces moving after me.

6 hours ago, bitsai said:

Took a tricked-out Rey along with Lulo + Tallie to the store last night and played against a Scum 3-ship list (Boba/Dengar/IN 4 Z-95). It's very powerful when facing a favorable match-up; only 3 enemy guns to worry about, and I happened to win the bid so my 3 ships moved after all but one of his (Dengar), and Dengar burned down in 2 rounds of shooting. Still, I'm not sure how to play this list when facing swarms or multiple mobile aces moving after me.

Yeah that's the core problem isn't it?

For pure aces, Like I mentioned a lot. Sense. Sense. Sense. After that it just comes down to practice. The good news is that aces are scared of front arc Rey. She will ruin any ace in front of her. Use the A-Wing to protect flanks and almost play like a beef list. Slow roll and deny approach vectors.

Best list to practice against are triple Jedi and triple Imperial aces all moving after you. That's the easy part, now for the problem.

Swarms.

**** this is an uphill battle. What I do for practice is simple. Download Fly Causal since I don't have anyone willing to iterate enough games with such boring lists. Enable no rules lists building. Build the following three lists.

1) Sear with Impervious Plating, Soulless One, TA175 and Eight yes Eight Trade Federation Drones.

2) Five Khiraxz Fighters with Shield Upgrade.

3) Howlrunner and Seven Academy Pilots

And then just fly against it. And fail and fail and fail. Until you don't. There's no grand secret or aha moment. You just get slowly better.

Hey! Lets say Rey with Korr/Title/Finn sees a 2 pt total reduction and for some reason Kazuda ends up 36 pts semi randomly. I think I would be in on Poe Rey Kazuda at 200 pts. Seems fun at least.

Might be worth testing R4 Poe, Rey, Naked Greer in anticipation of some room freeing up. 3 ship rey cant be bad forever right?

Edited by Boom Owl
2 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Hey! Lets say Rey with Korr/Title/Finn sees a 2 pt total reduction and for some reason Kazuda ends up 36 pts semi randomly. I think I would be in on Poe Rey Kazuda at 200 pts. Seems fun at least.

Might be worth testing R4 Poe, Rey, Naked Greer in anticipation of some room freeing up. 3 ship rey cant be bad forever right?

I'm really not sure where Poe would have to drop to be the right choice. If i were to bring a T-70 with Rey and an A-Wing, that T-70 should probably be treated as a jouster.

32 minutes ago, gennataos said:

I'm really not sure where Poe would have to drop to be the right choice. If i were to bring a T-70 with Rey and an A-Wing, that T-70 should probably be treated as a jouster.

Luke Trick Han Crack Braylen is 200 right now. My best guess is Poe Rey + Good 3rd thing is gonna happen. I dont really believe in 2 i5 Awings or an i5 T70 as a better alternative to Poe even on the joust risking half pts early. Or at least I havent been able to make any of those variants work better than just bringing Poe (which still hasnt worked great given current alternatives across factions)

Edited by Boom Owl

3 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Minimum viable Thicc Rey + Poe list is 176. It needs between 10 and 15 points reduction for a viable 3rd ship. I mean yeah if it drops that much its hilariously viable but I am not that optimistic.

1 minute ago, Flurpy said:

I am not that optimistic.

Its actually more pessimism than optimism that makes me think its gonna get massively reduced. Mostly about the 3rd ships costs being cheap while Rey sees minor reductions. Thats sorta what im expecting.

Edited by Boom Owl
6 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Its actually more pessimism than optimism that makes me think its gonna get massively reduced. Mostly about the 3rd ships costs being cheap while Rey sees minor reductions. Thats sorta what im expecting.

A lot of the future Resistance lists, this one included, depend on the initial Zizi cost. If she costs like Tallie its not gonna be an must include. Its literally going to be Resistance have 165 points to build and Zizi bolted on.

Rey Poe Zizi is the dream

I have about 10 games in by now. And it works ok, that's not a problem. It's also fun in a way.

But the list is a huge swing, hit or miss. So far my experience is that games are decided within 3 turns of combat. Either you get the (hopefully double modded) 4-5 hits with Rey, or you do not. In both cases that's game over. There are not many ways to cleverly claw back into the game. And that's definitively something I miss.

I'll also keep following the thread, but I think I'll put ReyPoe away again for the near future. Rey Greer Zizi is something I could maybe get behind, and maybe we get lucky with the points cost. But not now for me.

You wisely waved off far sooner than I! It is super swingy. I felt I either won big or lost big. Winning big happened quickly, losing big usually took longer.

7 minutes ago, gennataos said:

You wisely waved off far sooner than I! It is super swingy. I felt I either won big or lost big. Winning big happened quickly, losing big usually took longer.

Much easier to follow steps than to carve out a new path :)

In my experienece with resistance earlier in the year, Han with Rey crew was just substantially better than Rey pilot cuz you use Reys ability from the turret arc. Once rey stops using that front arc, she is just an expensive yt1300. And during swarm matchups, etc. You dont want to just fly into certain death.

I think reys title needs to be like 1pt, yes, basically autoinclude, on this weaker falcon version with red rotates. And alot of resistance crew that is in the 6-9pt range needs to drop in price as they arent anywhere near as powerful as leia at 6pts. This can open up Rey builds.

5 hours ago, wurms said:

In my experienece with resistance earlier in the year, Han with Rey crew was just substantially better than Rey pilot cuz you use Reys ability from the turret arc. Once rey stops using that front arc, she is just an expensive yt1300. And during swarm matchups, etc. You dont want to just fly into certain death.

I think reys title needs to be like 1pt, yes, basically autoinclude, on this weaker falcon version with red rotates. And alot of resistance crew that is in the 6-9pt range needs to drop in price as they arent anywhere near as powerful as leia at 6pts. This can open up Rey builds.

Never thought about it that way actually. Yeah I noticed against swarms that half of Rey isn't getting triggered unless I am being greedy.

And you can fit Han with Rey, PA Nien and fully loaded Lulu with points to spare. I should test this out

36 minutes ago, Flurpy said:

Never thought about it that way actually. Yeah I noticed against swarms that half of Rey isn't getting triggered unless I am being greedy.

And you can fit Han with Rey, PA Nien and fully loaded Lulu with points to spare. I should test this out

This is what I was flying last spring:

Poe Dameron (68)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Black One (2)

Han Solo (71)
Rey (14)

Tallissan Lintra (36)
Heroic (1)
Total: 195