PBP Alt Univ: Clone Wars: Misc

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

3 hours ago, Rabobankrider said:

http://swsheets.com/c/ft3mcaqke-tuno-gos This is my finished character (I think).

Looks good... I still need a write up of what you'd like for your campaign spanning character growth story line (the more hooks the better) but it is conceivable to find a druid on mon cal (where there is a battle)

You'll get introduced at the battle of christophsis

Edited by EliasWindrider
On 7/7/2019 at 9:27 PM, Daeglan said:

Well we know he is manipulating the trade federation directly. We know he is manipulating grievous directly. We know he is manipulating dooku directly. We know dooku is running the separatist council.

It is ultimately your world. You can create any connections you want. There is also Jangos ship. There are all the computer logs on geonosis that could have clues. It is supposed to be a mystery to solve. I cant solve the mystery if i am the one writing it. And i am pretty sure all of these connections are a blank slate. But consider people like Tarkin, Raith Seinar, Yolarin and other major players are working with Palpatine to improve their position power money influence and the same can be said for the Separatists Sidious is manipulating.

Really this is a web you have complete freedom to build. And you can build it in a way that serves your story. On Christophses there is the guy Obi Wan was "Negotiating surrender" with. Tie him into the web of your choosing that leads wherever we go next. There is the inhibiter chips in the clones. I could possibly have found out about them during investigating the clones. Also i am sure there are records on Kamino. The clones were ordered. The inhibitor chip is in the spec. Someone put that in the spec. Someone chose Jango. Someone chose the clone trainers. Treat it like any other mystery. All the major players like Kuat, Seinar, Roth Heavy industries, the Commerce guild, the trade federation, the banking clan, the techno union, geonosians, every major player is being manipulated. There manipulation is going to leave traces of some sort. Comlogs, cut outs. Dead drops. Messegers, droid messengers. So on.

And while Sidious is careful. Not everyone he is manipulating is going to be.

Your non-essential to the primary plot special request is creating an awful lot of work, which you want to put on me and as I've already told you I don't have time for. There is this thing called separation of player and character knowledge, so you could do most of the leg work to develop the mystery that your character solves.

Here are some parameters... something that transpired differently (maul is *dead* ?so what happens to savage oppress later, a good way to gain intel on Dooku?, naboo is occupied, no senator amidala or binks, palpatine doesn't have emergency powers and isn't in charge of the war effort, HINT later in the clone wars sidious sends cad bane to kidnap force sensitive younglings, maybe one of them is Anakin's kids after sidious approached Anakin discreetly and he said go take a flying leap over a sarlaac pit, the jedi are useless but they aren't evil, and from obiwan the jedi know that Anakin was exceptionally strong in the force, maybe you could beat bane there and catch him) or something that YOU do differently than Obiwan/Anakin did in canon has to lead to this discovery, probably in a war zone, although there were some run ins with fringe elements and an onscreen investigation into the creation of the clone wars.

Prior to the battle of genosis, the jedi don't know that sidious directed the trade federation at naboo (because they didn't get to interrogate the defeated trade federation leaders), they don't know that sidious directed grievous (who's he?) or Dooku. That Dooku is the sith apprentice gets discovered in the original timeline by Yoda because Anakin and Obiwan delayed him long enough for Yoda to get there and this time around Obiwan will be dead by the time that happens and Anakin is on tatooine, so if no PC delays Dooku long enough for Yoda to get there or doesn't outright defeat Dooku on genosis (which would change a lot, maybe even preempt the clone wars which actually IS ON THE TABLE), then the jedi won't know, at least not yet, that Dooku is a sith lord.

Then nevermind. No game is better than a game where the GM refuses to work with the player to have fun. Im out. You attitude that is it a lot of work is silly because I already told you how to do it for minimum fuss. But all you were was a box of no I dont wanna. Well then no I dont want to play with that kind of a GM.

18 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Then nevermind. No game is better than a game where the GM refuses to work with the player to have fun. Im out. You attitude that is it a lot of work is silly because I already told you how to do it for minimum fuss. But all you were was a box of no I dont wanna. Well then no I dont want to play with that kind of a GM.

Asking you to do most of the heavy lifting for your time intensive special request is not "no I don't wanna" or unfair, but if you'd rather leave the game than do the heavy lifting that's fine with me.

@MrTInce you're in, @Bellona since I haven't heard from any of the 2 outstanding invites, you're in too. And we likely have 1 more slot.

50 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Asking you to do most of the heavy lifting for your time intensive special request is not "no I don't wanna" or unfair, but if you'd rather leave the game than do the heavy lifting that's fine with me.

@MrTInce you're in, @Bellona since I haven't heard from any of the 2 outstanding invites, you're in too. And we likely have 1 more slot.

Your i want you to write your mystery that you are investigating attitude is counter productive to the point of a mystery. If i write it it is no longer a puzzle to solve and instead a boring novel where i may as well write a book. The fact you cant recognize this fundrmental flaw in your request is kinda disturbing.

Edited by Daeglan
2 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Your i want you to write your mystery that you are investigating attitude is counter productive to the pount of a mystery. If i write it it is no longer a puzzle to solve and instead a boring novel where i may as well write a book. The fact you cant recognize this fundrmental flaw in your request is kinda disturbing.

1) I do get the "point" you are trying to make, but 2) it's not my request it's yours and 3) it requires a lot of work to make it fit in seemlessly because 4) it's a rather large departure from the intended scope of the campaign and 5) as I've said repeatedly I don't have sufficient time to do most the leg work myself, moreover 6) we all already know that palpatine is "secretly" the sith lord orchestrating both sides of the war so asking me to make that somehow surprising for you is a pretty impossible task no matter how you slice it so your "point" isn't exactly relevant to this campaign. If it was a completely original story where you didn't already know who the BBEG was (but it's not) that would be a different matter and expecting surprise while "solving the mystery" would be a reasonable request.

So as a compromise to accommodate your desired storyline/roleplay experience I'm asking you to do most of the leg work of figuring out something that will fit within the scope of the campaign. That way you'd get your storyline and you'd get your roleplaying experience because this is more like improv acting than writing a book, but you wouldn't get the surprise/whodunnit factor but it'd be pretty impossible for me to deliver on that because you already know that palpatine is the one whodunnit.

33 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

1) I do get the "point" you are trying to make, but 2) it's not my request it's yours and 3) it requires a lot of work to make it fit in seemlessly because 4) it's a rather large departure from the intended scope of the campaign and 5) as I've said repeatedly I don't have sufficient time to do most the leg work myself, moreover 6) we all already know that palpatine is "secretly" the sith lord orchestrating both sides of the war so asking me to make that somehow surprising for you is a pretty impossible task no matter how you slice it so your "point" isn't exactly relevant to this campaign. If it was a completely original story where you didn't already know who the BBEG was (but it's not) that would be a different matter and expecting surprise while "solving the mystery" would be a reasonable request.

So as a compromise to accommodate your desired storyline/roleplay experience I'm asking you to do most of the leg work of figuring out something that will fit within the scope of the campaign. That way you'd get your storyline and you'd get your roleplaying experience because this is more like improv acting than writing a book, but you wouldn't get the surprise/whodunnit factor but it'd be pretty impossible for me to deliver on that because you already know that palpatine is the one whodunnit.

The surprising part would be the journey. You should already know all the players. All you needed to do was leave interesting clues linking the various separatists in a web around the spider pulling the strings. For someone who claims to know how to do amystery you sure dont act like someone who does or gets it. Many mysteries not about who done it but about how they did it. And as i said put the clues on the same path as the game. It is not hard.

Edited by Daeglan
3 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

The surprising part would be the journey. You should already know all the players. All you needed to do was leave interesting clues linking the various separatists in a web around the spider pulling the strings. For someone who claims to know how to do amystery you sure dont act like someone who does or gets it. Many mysteries about who done it but about how they did it. And as i said put the clues on the same path as the game. It is not hard.

You already know all the separatists are linked, there's nothing surprising about that. I have run mysteries that the players had to figure out because they didn't know the answers already. This (the players knowing all the answers and retelling nearly the same story in a surprising way) is entirely different. What's up in the air for this campaign is not whodunnit or even how they dunnit but (because this is Alt Univ) whether their plan succeeds. That's the catch/punchline/surprise I have a good idea what to do with

6 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

You already know all the separatists are linked, there's nothing surprising about that. I have run mysteries that the players had to figure out because they didn't know the answers already. This (the players knowing all the answers and retelling nearly the same story in a surprising way) is entirely different. What's up in the air for this campaign is not whodunnit or even how they dunnit but (because this is Alt Univ) whether their plan succeeds. That's the catch/punchline/surprise I have a good idea what to do with

And you still dont get it and that is just sad. Because they are also all linked to sidious and how that connection all connects to the same guy in some subtle way is the interesting part. Ie gee theses 2 guys are connected to this same holonet drop box id shared by supersecretsith999. Which the banking clan pays for out of numbered account. Oh look it is paid for by x. And so on. You keep focusing on the uninsteresting part. Yes we know all the players. Yes we know Palpatine is the mastermind. But you keep missing the interesting part. Which is how does he do it? Can the characters piece together the puzzle between the separatists and palpatine. And can they do it before he enacts plan b? Because you know he had a contingency for not having order 66. You had a plan b right? Because Palpatine would.

So I am thinking of going to a force user (Jedi) who does long range tracking and works best at range. I'll get something together soon.

So I've created a character, what's the best way to share it with ya?

With this starting in October, how soon do you want characters by?

18 hours ago, Daeglan said:

And you still dont get it and that is just sad. Because they are also all linked to sidious and how that connection all connects to the same guy in some subtle way is the interesting part. Ie gee theses 2 guys are connected to this same holonet drop box id shared by supersecretsith999. Which the banking clan pays for out of numbered account. Oh look it is paid for by x. And so on. You keep focusing on the uninsteresting part. Yes we know all the players. Yes we know Palpatine is the mastermind. But you keep missing the interesting part. Which is how does he do it? Can the characters piece together the puzzle between the separatists and palpatine. And can they do it before he enacts plan b? Because you know he had a contingency for not having order 66. You had a plan b right? Because Palpatine would.

You were correct, FOR THIS CAMPAIGN (for which you already have this information), to say that I was focusing on the uninteresting stuff however under normal circumstances what I have been focusing on is about 80% of what's important to a mystery. Whenever I've previously run a mystery, I've had the "crutch" of the players not knowing where the journey ends to help make the journey surprising. Teasing information the players don't know with clues that can be misinterpreted builds suspense, teasing information that they do know with clues that could be misinterpreted not so much because it WON'T BE misinterpreted.

I am not a New York times best selling mystery writer, I don't have experience surprising people with information they already know by just adding a few interesting details of the exact right level of obscurity. BTW I'm just going to throw it out there that sir aurther conan doyle cheated in that he didn't reveal the information that clued Sherlock Holmes into the culprit until Sherlock's expository. But back to the point, best selling authors also put a lot of time into their chosen career, and if the effort i put into this campaign was equivalent to a full time job, I'd guess that i have a decent shot of pulling off what you're asking of me (without hosing the game for the other players in the process) .

However supporting your special request with a full time job's worth of effort is a completely unreasonable expectation to put on me (Let me say it plainly... it's not going to happen). Particularly because it expands the scope of the campaign into ANOTHER new to me area. This is my first alternative universe campaign and it's not even a standard one at that. In typical Alt Univ campaigns, (typical judging from the ones I've read), there is an event that cause the universe to diverge, and AFTER that shakes out to a new equilibrium, there is a new sand box that the players get to explore.

In this alt u campaign I've kicked the key supports out of a large tower (the cannon timeline), it's wobbling unsteadily and the players get push on it to influence the way it falls. In this environment if I risked fulfilling your entire request and happened revealed too much or the wrong type of information too soon (because you are going to come to the right conclusions because you already know what they are) it will end the campaign prematurely. So attempting to fulfill your request in its entirety would risk spoiling the game for the other players, particularly because I'm already trying a few new things with this campaign. But a collaborative/scripted effort can avoid that. I'm willing to work WITH you on it but if you want me to fulfill your special request in part you're going to have to do most of the leg work/research with up front agreement/understanding that you're going to keep player and character knowledge separate.

Because yes palps has a plan b and c and I've already mentioned them in broad strokes. You're going to get to reinterpret roughly cannon events to figure out what they are and try to stop them. This is besides the special request investigation you're asking for.

10 hours ago, MrTInce said:

So I've created a character, what's the best way to share it with ya?

Either a ogg dude character sheet linked to from Google drive/media fire/drop box/etc or a swsheets.com character sheet with a link posted here. I'll repost the links into the first post of the ooc thread.

4 hours ago, AnomalousAuthor said:

With this starting in October, how soon do you want characters by?

I figured on just starting as soon as everyone's character was ready instead of waiting to October (which was more of a timeline for my live play group if I ran it that way)

2 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Because yes palps has a plan b and c and I've already mentioned them in broad strokes. You're going to get to reinterpret roughly cannon events to figure out what they are and try to stop them. This is besides the special request investigation you're asking for.

SO basically you are doing what I asked you to do but you were so focused on no that you completely missed my request got it. Good job. Read what you just wrote. Consider what my request is. I'll wait while it dawns on you that basically my request was to be looking for clues to plan B and C etc.

2 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Either a ogg dude character sheet linked to from Google drive/media fire/drop box/etc or a swsheets.com character sheet with a link posted here. I'll repost the links into the first post of the ooc thread.

I figured on just starting as soon as everyone's character was ready instead of waiting to October (which was more of a timeline for my live play group if I ran it that way)

Gotcha. I’ll probably write up a clone trooper since there are already plenty of Jedi.

Edited by AnomalousAuthor
On 7/9/2019 at 8:47 PM, Daeglan said:

SO basically you are doing what I asked you to do but you were so focused on no that you completely missed my request got it. Good job. Read what you just wrote. Consider what my request is. I'll wait while it dawns on you that basically my request was to be looking for clues to plan B and C etc.

From the beginning you've been demanding an active "investigation" in your backstory that proceeds forward into the campaign with in your words "dead drops" etc. You've been describing a "spy thriller." This isn't that, it's more of reinterpretting close to cannon events/a "chess match" against a, to your character, unknown opponent. But I don't participate in player vs. GM oppositional games from either side of the table, I'm play to tell a good cooperative story that everyone enjoys not to "beat" the GM/players.

I've been more than patient with you so far but if you don't check your attitude real quick, I won't let you back in the game (recall you already stated that you were out).

I've been consistently describing what I intended this campaign to be since the beginning of the OTHER thread. If you're only now deciding/realizing it's acceptable to you, after previously demanding more, don't blame me for 1) your misunderstanding or 2) me trying to meet your EXTRA demands half way.

Hey @EliasWindrider

Couple of questions on Duty.

1. What would you like my starting Duty to be?

2. Given that, am I free to take the 10 extra starting XP Duty option? ( NM, I went ahead and looked at Rabo’s character. )

Also, as far as XP is concerned, do you want us to add 900 XP after we spend our starting XP or simply cap it at 900 total?( Edit: I see that you already clarified this as 900 earned XP (so around 1000 total XP. )

Edited by AnomalousAuthor
23 hours ago, MrTInce said:

Build is fine, still need what you want your campaign spanning character growth story arc to be (with names and plenty of hooks, hopefully it involves your morality somehow) how come no one has given that to me yet?

50 minutes ago, AnomalousAuthor said:

Hey @EliasWindrider

Couple of questions on Duty.

1. What would you like my starting Duty to be?

2. Given that, am I free to take the 10 extra starting XP Duty option? ( NM, I went ahead and looked at Rabo’s character. )

Also, as far as XP is concerned, do you want us to add 900 XP after we spend our starting XP or simply cap it at 900 total?( Edit: I see that you already clarified this as 900 earned XP (so around 1000 total XP. )

Within reason, whatever duty you think is appropriate for your clone trooper is fine with me, keep in mind I expect you to play to it and your expected to command a game mechanical squad of 5 or 6 other clones and (subordinate to the jedi generals) command all the npc clones like captain Rex or Commander Cody on the clone wars series.

2 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Build is fine, still need what you want your campaign spanning character growth story arc to be (with names and plenty of hooks, hopefully it involves your morality somehow) how come no one has given that to me yet?

Within reason, whatever duty you think is appropriate for your clone trooper is fine with me, keep in mind I expect you to play to it and your expected to command a game mechanical squad of 5 or 6 other clones and (subordinate to the jedi generals) command all the npc clones like captain Rex or Commander Cody on the clone wars series.

Sounds good.

1 hour ago, EliasWindrider said:

Do you want me to add it the swsheet or have it separate?

@EliasWindrider

What’s your policy on attachment mods?

8 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

From the beginning you've been demanding an active "investigation" in your backstory that proceeds forward into the campaign with in your words "dead drops" etc. You've been describing a "spy thriller." This isn't that, it's more of reinterpretting close to cannon events/a "chess match" against a, to your character, unknown opponent. But I don't participate in player vs. GM oppositional games from either side of the table, I'm play to tell a good cooperative story that everyone enjoys not to "beat" the GM/players.

I've been more than patient with you so far but if you don't check your attitude real quick, I won't let you back in the game (recall you already stated that you were out).

I've been consistently describing what I intended this campaign to be since the beginning of the OTHER thread. If you're only now deciding/realizing it's acceptable to you, after previously demanding more, don't blame me for 1) your misunderstanding or 2) me trying to meet your EXTRA demands half way.

yeah no. because you still insist on having a chip on your shoulder instead of working with me. YOu should try not approaching things from a no point of view and more approach it from a this is what i can do etc.

My build is basically a newly-graduated mirialan Jedi Knight, trained as both a Jedi healer and a civilian doctor (parts of both specs plus two thirds of the Heal Force Power tree).

Like I mentioned on the other thread, I'm pretty much of a noob at PbP - and to the system in general (the tabletop SW group I'm in has been having lots of scheduling problems, not least because one player actually came down with Legionella!)

Anyway, can anyone tell me if it's possible to export a PDF from OggDude's character generator, please? Or shall I just enter the information at SWSheets and supply a link here?