Resistance XXX + ?: a fun entry point to Resistance

By GreenDragoon, in X-Wing Squad Lists

9 hours ago, bitsai said:

The Tavson player surprised me by taking first player so he could corner 2 of my 3 rocks, so I put the one rock in my control in the center. The gas clouds ended up sprinkled fairly evenly around the remaining spaces. I elected not to straight-up joust Tavson + friends (again, not sure if this was the right call), so I split up into 2 groups (Finn + Bastian just right of center, Snap + Jess in the SW corner) with the idea of making Tavson commit to one side of the center rock and bringing in the other group behind him. Tavson and the SF's set up in the center.

We both spent the first several turns not commiting; Finn + Bastian hard-turned and then k-turned back and forth along my board edge, Snap + Jess crawled up the west edge with 1-speed maneuvers, Tavson stopped as much as possible and intentionally blocked the faster ships from zooming ahead. When I turned Finn + Bastian up the east edge, that's when Tavson and the SF's finally committed and zoomed in hard on them. Once I saw that, I moved Finn + Bastian as slowly as possible while bringing Snap + Jess over as fast as I could to help out, but the first engagement still ended up with Finn + Bastian at range 1 of Tavson (yikes), range 2 of the SF's, while Snap + Jess only had range 3 shots on the enemy formation.

First round of combat, Quickdraw used Swarm Tactics to give IN 6 to Tavson, who rolled (after a Target Lock re-roll) Hit, Hit, Crit, Crit. Finn rolled double blanks, then re-rolled with Heroic into... double blanks. I used his ability and spent 1 Focus for one Evade, but still ate Hit, Crit, Crit. The second Crit drew Direct Hit, and that was it for Finn. No one else did any damage.

After that, things devolved into a scrum behind Tavson. Nothing else died, and when time was called, I lost 66 (halved Tavson + Backdraft) to 67 (lost Finn, Bastian halved). Initially I chalked it up to bad luck on that very first shot, but in retrospect, even if Tavson didn't one-shot Finn he might still have died to follow-up shots from Quickdraw and Backdraft. Hence my questions to see what I could/should have done to create a better engagement for Finn + friends against this list.

One thing, on that Finn Heroic reroll, you could have (and probably should have) added his BLANK die and re-rolled all three dice. His ability and Heroic have the same timing window, so you can choose the order.

As far as the other stuff, I'll just ping those who know the squad better... @RStan , @GreenDragoon , @Mistborn_Jedi

44 minutes ago, gennataos said:

One thing, on that Finn Heroic reroll, you could have (and probably should have) added his BLANK die and re-rolled all three dice. His ability and Heroic have the same timing window, so you can choose the order.

I can’t remember exactly, but I think it was @GreenDragoon or maybe Nathan from Australia who did the math, and it was a bit better to reroll 2 blanks and add the focus. At least like this you guarantee 1 evade, while a 3 blank into 3 blank roll (hard to happen, but not impossible), would leave you with no evades

1 hour ago, RoockieBoy said:

I can’t remember exactly, but I think it was @GreenDragoon or maybe Nathan from Australia who did the math, and it was a bit better to reroll 2 blanks and add the focus. At least like this you guarantee 1 evade, while a 3 blank into 3 blank roll (hard to happen, but not impossible), would leave you with no evades

Yes, I mentioned that in the list spotlight. Maybe even more importantly here, chance to take 0 damage jumps from 25% to 35ish (i don't remember the numbers)

Anyone have any tips for swarms (6+ships) i.e. Trade drones, torrent swarm. etc
Been having problems with the attrition. Usually try to dodge most arcs in the first engagement and can usually take 1-2 ships off the board, but the following engagements... usually always lose to points.

It’s late so just a quick update. Myself and 2 others running Cova/Finn/Jess/Bastian at 62 person Hyperspace Trial in Seattle today. 2 of us finished 5-1 in the top 8 and made the cut. (4 Resistance lists made the top 8.) I lost my top 8 to Anakin/Ric/2 torrents, the other guy went to the final table and lost to a buddy of mine running Guri/Fenn. This list has legs and is fun to fly, definitely recommend it. I need to figure out how to beat Jedi with it though...

So do we still think Finn is worth it? I lean yes.

So the RRG just nurfed Finn. Probably the end for the Big XXX deal as his survivability just tank.

So new ideas for 4th ship?

3 minutes ago, Tyhar7 said:

So the RRG just nurfed Finn. Probably the end for the Big XXX deal as his survivability just tank.

So new ideas for 4th ship?

Cova + R4 + Heroic is cheaper than Finn. And confirmed to work.

Just now, Flurpy said:

So do we still think Finn is worth it? I lean yes.

I mean he can still tank some shots. But if you do your offence is blown.

He might be better used with C3PO to become a coordinator.

Since this kinda blindsided me do this weekend I'll run.

Pava with BB

Bastian

Wexley with Black One and Composure

Cova with Heroic and R4

And Ill report back next week.

Edited by Flurpy

Finn will still be good, he's just not going to be so broken. With the immediate-Strain-removal, a lot of times my opponents just wouldn't shoot at him as they knew it would be too hard to do damage even with focused fire. Now I suspect that he will be a target earlier as he'll burn down easier. I'll probably fly him a bit more conservatively so he's not in so many arcs.

I had a game 2 weeks ago against a Rebel alpha strike list where it took 3 Proton Torps in the same turn to kill Finn. He's not going to shrug that off anymore. But with Heroic & PerCop he can still absorb a couple shots in the same turn (depending on the strength of the attack, of course) by taking a second Strain to add a Focus after rolling 1 Green after the first attack.

Until they raise his point cost in the next adjustment (and they will) I think he'll still see plenty of table time.

@GreenDragoon and @RStan curious to get your thoughts as well.

@Flurpy and @Mistborn_Jedi

XXXCova

PA allows the reverse and 0 maneuvers on Cova while keeping the 1 hard via R4 without stressing. I think this is officially Resistance Beef now...

Edited by RStan

Finn is dead. There is now no reason anymore to take him.

29 minutes ago, Mistborn_Jedi said:

Until they raise his point cost in the next adjustment (and they will) I think he'll still see plenty of table time.

I really can’t see them nerfing him and raising points as well.

The Pods themselves are pretty bad place now. I can’t think of any good reason to take a pod unless it’s just points filler.

Resistance crew cards don’t have any AOE abilities to make the useful support carrier, plus the ship doesn’t have any built in support function. A 4 HP 2 agility ship will get burned down to quickly for anything else.

The only thing that made Finn good was that he could tank and fire. No point investing the extra points in him now cause he won’t last any concentrated fire.

In fact Rose might look like a better choice at this point. Cheaper and better Ini with sustainable re-rolls.

22 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Finn is dead. There is now no reason anymore to take him.

I don't agree. He's just not worth invest a lot of pts into anymore. Heroic and MAYBE Pattern Analyzer now, that's as far as I'll go.

We need a name other that XXX Cova, sure as **** ain't Googeling that or suggesting younger players to Google it.

3 minutes ago, RStan said:

I don't agree. He's just not worth invest a lot of pts into anymore. Heroic and MAYBE Pattern Analyzer now, that's as far as I'll go.

I’m questioning if a Rose + C3PO is a better option for the points.

57 minutes ago, RStan said:

I don't see why you would take Finn over alternative options. Even other pods are now IMO better. Finn with heroic is a cheap 3 dice attack that dies if looked at. Why would you prefer him over Rose, or Awings, or Cova. Or even Leia and some other upgrades if we're at it.

I genuinely don't see why Finn would be played now. And as disclaimer, I've personally dropped the list *almost 2 weeks before the faq hit.

Edited by GreenDragoon

Roll on Resistance Y-wing or T-85.

3 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I don't see why you would take Finn over alternative options. Even other pods are now IMO better. Finn with heroic is a cheap 3 dice attack that dies if looked at. Why would you prefer him over Rose, or Awings, or Cova. Or even Leia and some other upgrades if we're at it.

I genuinely don't see why Finn would be played now. And as disclaimer, I've personally dropped the list *almost 2 weeks before the faq hit.

I've never run Finn with anything more than Heroic and thought he was a fantastic use of 30 points. I don't see that changing much. Granted, I don't run this list, and maybe that's what you were talking about?...specifically in this list?

7 hours ago, gennataos said:

I've never run Finn with anything more than Heroic and thought he was a fantastic use of 30 points. I don't see that changing much. Granted, I don't run this list, and maybe that's what you were talking about?...specifically in this list?

No I meant in general. But I also don't understand why you played him at 30pts.

I have a league game tonight, where you get bonus points for fielding a Heavy Laser Cannon and Resistance get a bonus point for including Lulo.

I did have a list with Cova (with Leia), Lulo, Finn and Bastian (HLC), but the Finn nerf has me considering the below instead. I still think Finn is good, but 43 pt Finn is going to give you some real hard choices around when to take the Strain or to let a hit or two go through.

I'd thought about the below:

Cova Nell (38)
Heroic (1)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
R4 Astromech (2)

Ship total: 46 Half Points: 23 Threshold: 4

L'ulo L'ampar (43)
Heroic (1)
Crack Shot (1)

Ship total: 45 Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

Lieutenant Bastian (48)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Ship total: 52 Half Points: 26 Threshold: 4

Jessika Pava (51)
BB Astromech (3)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 54 Half Points: 27 Threshold: 4

Total: 197

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZsZ200Z351X172W206WWWWW5WY239X172W116WWY254XWW175WWW10Y296X196WW175WWW&sn=Week 3&obs=

Without the HLC restriction it would open up a few more points, either for a Tactical Officer on Cova or some Bastian M9-G8 shenanigans.

7 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

No I meant in general. But I also don't understand why you played him at 30pts.

It's been mostly with Resistance Chewie and some A-Wings, so I'm kind of ambivalent about how long he lives.

Have to say I just watched a XXXx decimate a Resistance Ace list.

At least it’s still alive!

Edited by Tyhar7

Made the cut with XXX Cova (jesus) at the Italian Nationals and went home with Best Of Faction.

Will update this post with more info once I crash and burn out of the top cut tomorrow.