Resistance XXX + ?: a fun entry point to Resistance

By GreenDragoon, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Just to pitch the idea properly:

three and a half X-wings

Lieutenant Bastian — Integrated S-Foils

Jessika Pava — Integrated S-Foils

Temmin Wexley Composure, Integrated S-Foils

L'ulo L'ampar — Heroic

195 points for basically 4 Xwings on the table. The important point: Snap, Jess and Bastian all have double mods*

I'm tempted to add lone wolf to Lulo and use him as flanker/bait. There are no points for secondary weapons. Maybe R4s, maybe R3 on Bastian? But other upgrades on the xwings are rather pointless.

Thoughts?

Edit: *Snap intentionally fails his boost, Jess has wingmen, and Bastian gets the free lock from dealt damage by the other 3 ships.

Edited by GreenDragoon
Changed list name

I'd get Predator on Lulo for sure, and I'm unconvinced by Snap, but I suppose he could do work

17 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Snap intentionally fails his boost

Nice trick. He's one of the few people to get a bonus action that's not red; good call on composure.

15 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Nice trick. He's one of the few people to get a bonus action that's not red; good call on composure.

Sabine is the other and Jake the third. There are possibly more, but those are the ones I care about.

What do you think about 4x3 red dice, 3 of them with double mods?

2 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Sabine is the other and Jake the third. There are possibly more, but those are the ones I care about.

What do you think about 4x3 red dice, 3 of them with double mods? 

It has a lot of potential. L'ulo is definitely 'half an X-wing' in that he's going to get shot up very badly if he gets attacked whilst stressed. A high initiative and gyrostabilizers should be enough to avoid most attackers, though. Since he's going to need to play arc-dodger, I really think there's a good argument for hanging on to that 5 point initiative bid. Heroic vs lone wolf is a wash:

• Heroic is harder to trigger but turns up when you REALLY need it
  • Lone Wolf is always there but is once per turn - a problem if you face multiple attackers - and limits your ability to support what is a pretty large squad by resistance standards.

R3 on bastian is nice in theory, since he can grab two bonus locks as damage pops up. He should never be actively taking a target lock action, though, and presumably you'll be concentrating fire on something till it's dead, so it's not that big a bonus.

Jess and Bastian can't have talents, so heroic is out. R4 astromechs aren't a bad call but you can't give all 3 X-wings them so it feels a little off since their main use is letting the squad pull an en-masse hard turn out of a koiogran or tallon manoeuvre.

I'd maybe consider a BB astromech for Snap? If you find yourself needing to actually dogfight it opens up a lot of manoeuvrability for him, and potentially lets you 'burn' a charge to focus with composure when flying slower or if you particularly need your boost to cover distance or turn your nose around, or if he won't have a convenient 'bumper' after moving.

Jess, Bastian and Snap are a decent trio for 'cheap' X-wings. Since Snap needs someone to not crash into and Jess needs a wingman, flying the two of them basically nailed nose-to-tail makes sense, whilst Bastian can afford to be in a slightly looser formation. Exchanging one T-70 for a more fragile RZ-2 with L'ulo's ability gives you a lot of primary weapon firepower.

Edited by Magnus Grendel
2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Jess and Bastian can't have talents, so heroic is out. R4 astromechs aren't a bad call but you can't give all 3 X-wings them so it feels a little off since their main use is letting the squad pull an en-masse hard turn out of a koiogran or tallon manoeuvre. 

So I've been playing around with this list on Fly Casual for about a day and half since the OP suggested it on another thread. It hits hard!

My most common issue is limited turning options after pulling a red move. So the R4's on Bastian and Jess are my suggestion. Snap can get away without, the limited blue move is mitigated by his free boost.

Are the R4's worth it over the bid is what I'm trying to way up. Jess and Bastian gain TL/RR abilities after movement, so the issue with moving before and being out of range for TL isn't as great. L'ulo will suffer moving first.

Edited by Tyhar7
3 hours ago, Tyhar7 said:

So I've been playing around with this list on Fly Casual for about a day and half since the OP suggested it on another thread. It hits hard!

My most common issue is limited turning options after pulling a red move. So the R4's on Bastian and Jess are my suggestion. Snap can get away without, the limited blue move is mitigated by his free boost.

Are the R4's worth it over the bid is what I'm trying to way up. Jess and Bastian gain TL/RR abilities after movement, so the issue with moving before and being out of range for TL isn't as great. L'ulo will suffer moving first.

That's interesting to hear. I will put it on the table next Saturday I think.

I guess the question of R4 depends on your way to play them. I am thinking about R2 on Jess and R3* on Bastian - that could let him have the TL even after a talon roll AND after spending one before t-rolling.

*important to note that R3 does NOT synergize with his ability, so then rather not

Edited by GreenDragoon

The R3 doesn't seem totally useless. It might be useful to hold two locks to avoid any jamming attempts. Not sure if it's worth the points.

I'm wondering if R2-HA is a better astro on Bastian? I haven't used it much but I think Bastian is the best fit.

In someways the spread initiative is a good thing in this list. It potentially allows Bastian to regain locks throughout the round regardless what Ini your facing. Allowing him to spend those locks on Defence if required, plus potentially have one left for offence.

Between him and Jess they can reroll a lot of Defence dice which isn't common in 2.0.

16 hours ago, Tyhar7 said:

I'm wondering if R2-HA is a better astro on Bastian? I haven't used it much but I think Bastian is the best fit.

I gave this a spin in Fly Casual and R2-HA's ability saw a lot of use late in the game and did a great job keeping Bastian alive. Definitely need to fly it with my group this week.

Two games so far, on hyperspace one extended. The hyperspace was over in 3 turns of shots. The extended was a nailbiter down to the last hull (almost). I like the squad, but I need to improve playing it. Pinwheel works as a start against stuff I want to joust. I'm not so sure how to tackle others where I don't want to joust, because Lulo messes up the timing due to his high speed (lack of 1 straight/1bank)

6 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Two games so far, on hyperspace one extended. The hyperspace was over in 3 turns of shots. The extended was a nailbiter down to the last hull (almost). I like the squad, but I need to improve playing it. Pinwheel works as a start against stuff I want to joust. I'm not so sure how to tackle others where I don't want to joust, because Lulo messes up the timing due to his high speed (lack of 1 straight/1bank)

maybe use Lulo as bait on one flank and then double back to join the rest of the team b4 1st engagement?

13 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

maybe use Lulo as bait on one flank and then double back to join the rest of the team b4 1st engagement?

I did that in the game I lost. It worked quite well, but I made other mistakes.

But yes. It's just hard to do :)

Edited by GreenDragoon

could try setting up from 45 degree angle facing into the asteroid field. iv noticed most ppl are more comfortable moving straight ahead directly towards the opponents side of the map.

Assuming they have ships on the same side of the map as you... slow roll everyone towards the opposite diagonal corner until u see if they r committing to one side or the other. Send Lulo ahead and wider than the rest of ur team. if he starts in the front he can just zoom up side of the board. Meanwhile the rest of your ships bank away from the approaching enemy and pick a spot in the asteroid field that they will converge at with enemy approaching them. Lulo is trying to bait them to chase him before angling back into the steroid field. thats when ur other ships want to engage. Luol can either flip back aiming for a range 3 shot with his wingmen between him and the first approaching enemy or loop back using an obstacle for cover and hit the back of their formation or hopefully get a free shot on something that was chasing him 2 turns earlier. possibly the same turn as his wingmen if its possible to turn and boost. if its 2 turns then take a TL as you should be out of arc or at least have an obstacle for cover.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

I played against Nien/Ello/Bastian/L'ulo last night. Their lack of upgrades makes them dice-dependent, but the new A-Wing's ability to zip past targets that would otherwise block him for sure is really nice.

14 minutes ago, Stefan said:

I played against Nien/Ello/Bastian/L'ulo last night. Their lack of upgrades makes them dice-dependent, but the new A-Wing's ability to zip past targets that would otherwise block him for sure is really nice.

It's similar. Ello allows good keeping on target after the initial 1-2 combat phases, and Nien maybe too. There it is better.

But I think my version has a much stronger initial joust 1-2 turns, with all these modifications. A tough choice!

Just had a surprisingly onesided game against Boba Guri. Great sport, but it looked like a 200-0 until 2-3 turns before the end, and I haven't lost a ship.

Saturday will be the next game.

Also, plenty mistakes on my side, but the crazy efficiency doesn't care!

Yeah so just played twice with this list and there is some forgiveness in it.

First game was a dramatic loss after a promising start. Facing a BBXXA list. All generic. He spread the B's in one corner and then the X's in centre and the Awing inbetween .

Decided to joust his Bwings and lined up directly ahead placing L'ulo at the other end to draw the Xwings away.

He brought the Awing in with the Bwings and X's took the bait and in the first engagement I'd taken a Bwing out and only lost a shield in response. a L'ulo had dodge by and fired out of the rear on the Xwings Great start, so I I thought. After one lucky block in the next turn, everything cascaded to **** with more blocks and bad dice luck. Mostly a bunch of bad choices on my part, lessons learned.

Second game against a Jake, Dutch, Kyle and Wallfwarro list lasted 4 turns. Taken out everyone but Wallf, who was sheildless. Jess had lost shields, having taken two torps by Dutch and was still standing, but everyone else was fine so he conceded.

Learnt a couple of things tonight but think it's a pretty solid list.

Bastion with R2-HA and Jess can really absorb hits with the defensive rerolls mods.

L'ulo is great for bait, don't run him in the pack.

Edited by Tyhar7

L'ulo's a dude.

If you could squeeze in Nien Nunb you would get a great option against all the stress stuff that's around, but the bid would have to be tiny.

Edit: actually it's 202 with pattern analyzer, so close :(

Edited by ayedubbleyoo
6 hours ago, ayedubbleyoo said:

a   ll  the stress stuff that's ar  ou   n  d 

What stress stuff?

000 and 7th sister?

4-LOM and Phasma? But they are both not that common to see on the table.

7 hours ago, ayedubbleyoo said:

L'ulo's a dude.

If you could squeeze in Nien Nunb you would get a great option against all the stress stuff that's around, but the bid would have to be tiny.

Edit: actually it's 202 with pattern analyzer, so close :(

Sorry corrected.

You can fit Nien in if you take Talli instead.

Edited by Tyhar7

Anyone have any feedback after the weekend?

I ended up playing Awings because my opponent allowed me to proxy. So, not from me 😕

So had another 2 games with this list last night to great success.

First game was against a Wedge, Thane, Gavin list that was set with PT's with wedge and swarm tactics. Tried to lure Gavin away with L'ulo as we came closer to engagement but he decided to ignore him to focus fire 3 torps into Jess. Jess endured the onslaught taking 4 damage and still retaining a focus. The return fire on Thane brought him down 1 hull and Gavin learned to not ignore L'ulo losing 2 shields. Having closed the distance the subsequent round he lost Thane and Wedge; Gavin had lost all shields and he conceded.

Next game was a return to the XXBBA list that I lost to a couple of weeks back. It was all generic but with 32 HP to eat through quite formidable. Jousting it didn't end well last time because of too many ships that could block me up.

My opponent setup similarly to the previous game, XX in one corner BB in the center and the A in the other corner. This time I decided to split my list. Pairing Bastian/Jess across from his Xwings and Snap/L'ulo across from his Awing to present a more credible threat. Snap with his free boost can reliably keep up with L'ulo so they work quite well as wing-men.

This seemed to work as the Bwings responded to Snap and L'ulo, who had blitzed up the board. The first engagement involved this group with no damage on both sides. The following round Bastian/Jess engaged the Xwings, having slow rolled them previously, so instead of continuing to engage the Bwing, Snap and L'ulo pushed on and flanked behind his Xwings, leaving his BB's and Awing in a bit of messy position.

It allowed me to clear up the X-wing quite quickly. The annoying factor in this game however was his A-wing that just didn't want to die. Think I had 3 occasions where I had a range 1 double modded shot on the thing, where I either double wiffed or he rolled natty evades. The game ended with a full health Jess and this lone A-wing with 1 hull on the board which I finally managed to put and end too.

Really enjoying this list tho.

Edited by Tyhar7