Resistance XXX + ?: a fun entry point to Resistance

By GreenDragoon, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Im bringing version one (Adv. Opt.) to a tournament next weekend and trying to get as many games as i can before.
I just want to thank you for sharing this list, i absolutely love it.

Rumor has it that @RStan plays that list at gencon and he placed as the best 6-1 of day 1a!

Also I'm a firm believer in Pattern Analyzer over Adv Optics on Finn. Way more consistent and dangerous being able to use all those reds and still get double focus.

I’m going to try to keep this brief. I flew the Advanced Optics/PerCop version in 1a heat at GenCon yesterday. I can confirm @GreenDragoon ‘s points about watching out for double reposition aces and moving first. If you face other I2s, you want to take First Player!

I started 4-0, only to drop the last 3 and finish 4-3. Good enough for 35th (of 119). Congrats on the great finish @RStan !

R1: 200-97 win vs Fenn, Torkil, 2 Goons with Ion Cannons.

R2: 200-103 win vs RAC and 2 cannon Rhos

R3: 200-97 win vs Dutch, Ten, 2 Gray double-tap Ions

R4: 44-24 win vs Anakin & ObiWan

**Such a hard game. He got half of Bastian and I just had so few quality shots. Late in the game I got Anakin shields down and out of regen. Last turn, Finn does a desperate 3K and ends up with a range 3 shot on Force-less Ani. I roll blank-crit, he rolls blank-blank-focus and the crit lands. Crazy end.

R5: 79-200 loss vs Ric, Sinker and 4 Torrents. (Andrew Nuckols)

**Here’s where I learned my lesson about moving first. I had the 1 point bid and gave him First Player. Second round of shooting he forces 3 bumps and it’s lights out. Not sure I would have won if I’d moved first but sure would have done a lot better.

R6: 62-200 (I think) loss vs Ric, ObiWan, Anakin (Carson Wray)

R7: 76-200 loss vs Kylo, Scorch, 2 Zeta (Chris Allen for the podcaster trifecta)

**Killed things that didn’t matter, then didn’t have enough guns left to take on Kylo.

Edited by Mistborn_Jedi
Fixed R5 opponent; updated tourney player count

Clarify @Mistborn_Jedi Rd5 was against Andrew Nuckols running the Sinker Swarm + Ric.

My loss was to 2 Juke Sigmas and Juke Rexlar, hard to catch and finish off, but was 1 health away from half on Rexlar that would've gotten me the win.

For a more detailed breakdown, tuned into OCX Radio live on Wednesday night at 830 US central ;) also available in podcast form usually 3-7 days after livecast.

Edited by RStan
39 minutes ago, RStan said:

Also I'm a firm believer in Pattern Analyzer over Adv Optics on Finn. Way more consistent and dangerous being able to use all those reds and still get double focus.

I agree. Didn't realize that from looking at it, but the first real game showed it already.

@Mistborn_Jedi wow, that's rough to go through those three players! The r5 game might have been winnable with first player, but almost impossible if you get blocked.

48 minutes ago, RStan said:

For    a more detailed breakdown, tuned into OCX Radio live on Wednesday night at 830 US central ;) also available i  n podcast form usually 3-7 days after livecast. 

I always listen anyway, but unfortunately never live

So took the advanced optics version to a small store tourney today and won with it!

First match was a Soontir, Vader and Duchess build. Was a low scoring game. Managed to take Duchess off the board and only took half points on Jess.

2nd game was a Quad U-wing list which I straight out jousted and the odds went in my favour. Took your advice and avoided the block that came after. After which I split my pack and dodge arcs while stripping the list down slowly.

3rd game was a Soontir, Sao and Admiral Chiranaue. Maintained my pack for 2 rounds but when it was clear he wasn’t going to joust I broke formation and got behind them. Was a close game, was anyone’s until I popped Soontir. He went head on with Finn. Finn weathered it and got a hit through back at him. Which triggered a double mod shot with Bastian.

So apparently I’m hearing that Gencon ruled Finn must keep the strain after defending.

Which is apparently a precursor to an incoming rule change that will be that strains are removed after green dice are rolled.

So this list might be short lived, Finn isn’t worth this investment if he gonna be taken out that quickly.

Is it true @RStan ?

3 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Is it true @RStan ?

Not true at least of the Gencon ruling. I played Friday and Ryan Farmer played Saturday. Each using Finn and was used as the current RAW "broken" one. Unsure of their intent for Finn going forward.

GSP streamed a game with this list and Finn got one-shotted by Fenn lol. It was pretty rough. IIRC, it was a later in the day game and people weren't at their sharpest so maybe not the best example of the list

Edited by cpdilloway

Quoting Farmer on Facebook:

"it was ruled Finn loses the strain. Whoever says it was ruled otherwise is misinformed, as I’m currently in a room with most of the judges."

On 8/3/2019 at 5:21 AM, RStan said:

Clarify @Mistborn_Jedi Rd5 was against Andrew Nuckols running the Sinker Swarm + Ric.

Yes, thanks that was Andrew not Farmer. I fixed it. Still brain dead while writing that after playing 7 rounds I guess.

I flew the Finn + Pattern Analyzer version at the FLGS tonight, against an ultra loaded Darth Maul + 3 Precise Hunters w/ Energy Shell Charges. Despite having zero practice beforehand AND flying like hot garbage (got baited into flying the group right through a cluster of obstacles and lost multiple actions on consecutive turns), the power of the list ground down the enemy ships and gave me a chance to win on the final shot; just needed 1 damage to get half points on Maul for the win, and had I remembered the Lock I had on Maul, very well could've had it.

Finn was the star of the show, soaking up and dishing out big hits. IMHO Pattern Analyzer was key, ensuring he had double Focus tokens at all times.

I put together a Poe, 2 Blue T-70s, and a Blue A-Wing list and flew it this week 3 wins, no losses. It was an interesting kind of list to fly with one "ace" and three initiative 1s. Probably the most fun part was only having to remember one pilot ability and only a couple little "tricks" to the list, but they hit pretty good and usually tried to keep everyone working relatively together to eliminate targets.

On 8/3/2019 at 2:21 PM, RStan said:

For a more detailed breakdown, tuned into OCX Radio live on Wednesday night at 830 US central ;) also available in podcast form usually 3-7 days after livecast.

about that... I heard there were some problems?

With Bio's new article in mind: how often did you approach dispersed vs the box? Generally, how did you play the list? There is one on stream I think?

Does anyone have the link for the stream game?

7 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

about that... I heard there were some problems?

With Bio's new article in mind: how often did you approach dispersed vs the box? Generally, how did you play the list? There is one on stream I think?

Does anyone have the link for the stream game?

Oh yeah lol, technical difficulties because Google killed Hangouts On Air connection for YouTube.

I generally stayed in a box unless I went up against something I knew I couldn't out joust. Example TIE Swarm I faced in round...4 or 5. I started in a box, kept Jess and Finn together in my corner while flexing Bastian and Snap high. Similar to how you may have seen my 5As vassal images, I kept Snap going high and around like Lulo and Bastian cut in eventually in the middle while using BRs to keep distance before the cut in. Nothing on stream unfortunately. TIE Swarm ended up going for Finn and Jess because more ships there to target. Ended up trading Finn for Howlrunner which I'll take all day with 3 full health T70s left all surrounding the TIE Swarm and clean up. BB Astromech on Jess was HUGE for her. That would've been good to see on stream.

Edited by RStan

@RStan

Thanks! I ran into troubles (read: lost) facing a VCX, a crack TIE swarm, AniObiTorrent, and QD Blackout Tavson. The first two I wanted to see whether I can simply joust them and it was rather close and could have fallen either way - even though I think it's obvious that I shouldn't joust a swarm. I outplayed myself in the other two. Especially against Tavson I can't really afford to ignore him, but his reinforce + extra actions take long to punch through.

Bio with his post got me thinking: I only need Jess with someone close by. Going down to 1 reroll should be fine in many cases, even if it's not ideal. His images reminded me a lot of the 5A vassal images you mention. If I were a better player, I would play this list with Finn in a similar way. All Bastian needs is the range 2, Snap could get his bonus with an obstacle, and Jess needs just someone (potentially blocking Snap? Helping Bastian with the lock?) anyway.

So, why do you not do that all the time?

Is it because it's often not necessary but opens yourself up for mistakes and messed up timings?

3 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

@RStan

Thanks! I ran into troubles (read: lost) facing a VCX, a crack TIE swarm, AniObiTorrent, and QD Blackout Tavson. The first two I wanted to see whether I can simply joust them and it was rather close and could have fallen either way - even though I think it's obvious that I shouldn't joust a swarm. I outplayed myself in the other two. Especially against Tavson I can't really afford to ignore him, but his reinforce + extra actions take long to punch through.

Bio with his post got me thinking: I only need Jess with someone close by. Going down to 1 reroll should be fine in many cases, even if it's not ideal. His images reminded me a lot of the 5A vassal images you mention. If I were a better player, I would play this list with Finn in a similar way. All Bastian needs is the range 2, Snap could get his bonus with an obstacle, and Jess needs just someone (potentially blocking Snap? Helping Bastian with the lock?) anyway.

So, why do you not do that all the time?

Is it because it's often not necessary but opens yourself up for mistakes and messed up timings?

Keeping them all together in a box and at least for the first few turns leading up to the main engagement just makes it that much more threatening and creates an extremely dangerous "no fly zone" in front of them for most ships/lists. When deciding on splitting them off a bit (usually Bastian & Snap) after being a box most of the start, it depends on opposing ships I want to threaten and there ability to create damage output that could gain them half pts on any of my T70s. If I don't think they can gain points, but I want to threaten, I'll simply, for example, 1 or 2 bank snap/bastian while letting Finn/Jess 1 or 2 forward. The threatened area is increased, but each it obviously isn't as effective together anymore, but it doesn't allow a flanking ace free reign to spend a focus offensively without the potential of losing some very valuable health or even half pts. As long as I leave either group the ability to turn back into either direction to put all guns on target the following turn(s), I'm willing to threaten a bit, but then cut back in hard to pursue where necessary.

I've been having trouble against aces with fin and friends. Any tips to help deal with aces?

7 hours ago, bumbleb1492 said:

I've been having trouble against aces with fin and friends. Any tips to help deal with aces?

It really depends on the aces and the rest of their squad loadout. Like I mentioned before, the likely incoming damage to a focused T70 will matter if it's best to make an in game decision a few turns in to split Snap and Bastian off from the formation to threaten a wider area against aces flanking. Against aces it just comes down to correct decision making and reading your opponent. Make the most correct guesses because they can decide later where they'll be with repositions.

Just played my first game with the pattern analyzer version. This list just runs threw things that decide they want to joust 😆