Shipping Now

By Duciris, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

1 hour ago, Mimi61 said:

Have you played her yet? I found Dark Revelations on Amazon, so it will be here next week.

Oh no! Sorry to hear about your mom, Mimi! ❤️

Also, I have not had a chance to play with her yet. She'll be my next deck, but I'm not sure who/what I'll be running her through. I'd like to have her on arkhamdb before then so I can play around with deck ideas a bit more easily. I honestly am not sure what secondary to choose. We don't use taboos, so it seems very difficult not to choose seeker for Knowledge is Power so you can get more uses and efficiency out of Scroll of Secrets.

I'm also tempted to try to make a curse mystic deck with the inclusion of the new In too Deep cards, but she is restricted to the mystic covenant. Oddly, she can't take the Otherworld Codex like I had hoped she would be able to, so her options for triggering her ability are more limited. There's scroll of secrets, Alyssa Graham, Scrying, and Parallel Fates.

I'm of two minds for a deck right now. I could go secondary rogue or seeker and include Faustian Bargains/Stirring up Trouble/Deep knowledge to trigger the new Armageddon/shroud of shadows/eye of chaos suite.

The other half-baked idea is to take Mind's Eye (mostly because I've never used it in a deck before) and limit my arcane assets. With a seeker secondary, I can pack in some Truth from Fictions to top off the Mind's Eye as needed (as it runs on secrets). With card draw, you could throw in some astounding revelations as well. The biggest problem is that if you lean into Mind's Eye, there's no solid way to deal additional damage as a Mystic with no out-of-class assets. I mean, there's the enchanted blade, but that takes an arcane slot which is not compatible with Mind's Eye. So barring the xp expensive Time-Worn Brand, if you go the Mind's Eye route, you'd likely be stuck relying on others for monster duty.

Any thoughts on why Gloria might want to take a secondary guardian role? There are some minor support type abilities, but I can't see why one would bother when seeker and rogue are options.

Edited by Soakman

I did make my bicycle run to pick up In Too Deep at the local shop yesterday. I was surprised to see that they also had Dark Revelations , when they have not previously stocked any of the novellas. My pre-ordered copy hasn't arrived yet, but UPS tracking shows it has made it to my local post office.

I received my copy of In Too Deep yesterday, looking forward to giving it a go this evening.

Thematically this was the pack I was waiting for in this cycle. I really liked it.

On 11/7/2020 at 7:08 PM, Soakman said:

Any thoughts on why Gloria might want to take a secondary guardian role? There are some minor support type abilities, but I can't see why one would bother when seeker and rogue are options.

First Watch seems to be right up Gloria's alley. She would get to decide both who got each encounter and what order they would resolve in. She's got special chops to get the most out of Fool Me Once.

On the Skill front, Take the Initiative is perfectly bankable for her in the encounter phase, and Intrepid is quite nice too.

At 2x, that's 8 cards out of the 10 subclass cards she could take, not too discouraging as an option. Most of the cards she really wants are Mystic cards anyhow.

I have a quick question about Gloria's control who goes first during the mythos phase ability, does that mean she just chooses in what order players reveal their cards or can she actually change the order once a card is drawn, therefore controlling who draws it. I was assuming it was the first one, just wanted to make sure.

Just the first one. But the assumption would be that you combine it with some kind of manipulation ability like scrying.

I haven’t fiddled around with her yet. My first thought was Seeker like Soakman, but partly because I play them a lot and know the cards so well. Though First Watch did come to mind. I’m wasn’t sure of it would be a little redundant or not.
Mind’s Eye is a pretty good card. I played it with Dexter to good effect. It can free up space for other things.
Some good thoughts though.

On a different note, the Upcoming page has been updated and Arkham is back in the queue!

Edited by Mimi61
10 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

On a different note, the Upcoming page has been updated and Arkham is back in the queue!

Hoorah! This thread was going to be a little dificult to sustain without anything on the Upcoming page.

I also haven't spent much time with Gloria (just started reading the novella for inspiration). It's a pity that she can't take Truth from Fiction (2)...as that seems pretty much on the nose, thematically.

Edited by Dr Dee
1 hour ago, Dr Dee said:

Hoorah! This thread was going to be a little dificult to sustain without anything on the Upcoming page.

I also haven't spent much time with Gloria (just started reading the novella for inspiration). It's a pity that she can't take Truth from Fiction (2)...as that seems pretty much on the nose, thematically.

Right? And it's much better than the lvl 0 version. I'm not particularly thrilled with her deck composition to be honest. But beggars can't be choosers. At least I have her. I'm interested to see what her original signatures are since her weakness(es?) appear to be shuffled into the encounter deck after set-up.

Edited by Soakman
1 hour ago, Soakman said:

I'm interested to see what her original signatures are since her weakness(es?) appear to be shuffled into the encounter deck after set-up.

Yes. I was very intrigued to see her deckbuilding requirements...I wonder what those two sets of 3 cards are...and how the weaknesses work when drawn from the encounter deck. I'm going to assume that she is a dead cert for the next cycle...but that is a long way off. Aside from Truth from Fiction what are your thoughts about other cards that are thematic for her?

5 hours ago, Dr Dee said:

Yes. I was very intrigued to see her deckbuilding requirements...I wonder what those two sets of 3 cards are...and how the weaknesses work when drawn from the encounter deck. I'm going to assume that she is a dead cert for the next cycle...but that is a long way off. Aside from Truth from Fiction what are your thoughts about other cards that are thematic for her?

As Truth From Fiction attests, I think Seeker has the most thematic secondary cards to her backstory: Connect the Dots, Expose Weakness, Glimpse the Unthinkable, Seeking Answers, Curiosity, The Truth Beckons (which is coming soon), and of course what always happens when she has these visions; Stirring up Trouble

Guardian: Kind of thematic with her ability and a Gloria that wants to work with you: The aforementioned First Watch, Let Me Handle This, Stand Together, Inspiring Presence, Ever Vigilant and depending on her deck build, On the Hunt, Get Over Here

Rogue: Kind of the opposite of the Guardian idea. Still thematic with her ability, but a Gloria following her own lead (and if you want to follow along, so be it).
You Handle this One, Think on your Feet, Momentum, Quick Thinking, Narrow Escape, Elusive, Eavesdrop

Edited by Mimi61
On 11/7/2020 at 12:00 AM, Mimi61 said:

Same. My mom had a stroke around that time, so I don’t think I even knew about the Novella until it was too late.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! Wishing you (all) well!

On 11/8/2020 at 2:08 AM, Soakman said:

I'm also tempted to try to make a curse mystic deck with the inclusion of the new In too Deep cards, but she is restricted to the mystic covenant. Oddly, she can't take the Otherworld Codex like I had hoped she would be able to, so her options for triggering her ability are more limited. There's scroll of secrets, Alyssa Graham, Scrying, and Parallel Fates.

I'm of two minds for a deck right now. I could go secondary rogue or seeker and include Faustian Bargains/Stirring up Trouble/Deep knowledge to trigger the new Armageddon/shroud of shadows/eye of chaos suite.

The other half-baked idea is to take Mind's Eye (mostly because I've never used it in a deck before) and limit my arcane assets. With a seeker secondary, I can pack in some Truth from Fictions to top off the Mind's Eye as needed (as it runs on secrets). With card draw, you could throw in some astounding revelations as well. The biggest problem is that if you lean into Mind's Eye, there's no solid way to deal additional damage as a Mystic with no out-of-class assets. I mean, there's the enchanted blade, but that takes an arcane slot which is not compatible with Mind's Eye. So barring the xp expensive Time-Worn Brand, if you go the Mind's Eye route, you'd likely be stuck relying on others for monster duty.

I quite like the Curse options for her as well, though I think that Jim and Luke are probably better-suited to it overall.

Mind's Eye is good but, as you say, at that point you are basically playing a weird seeker with Mind's Eye as a way to cover for your bad stats. With Arcane Studies (4), St Hubert's Key, Read the Signs, etc., you can do pretty well as a Mystic using intellect to investigate, which is nice because it unshackles (most) mystics from needing an investigation spell.

As for Guardian Gloria, I have plenty of thoughts on the matter! Thematically it's gold - she's basically Agatha Christie but with the ability to melt monsters into slag, which is one of the coolest sentences imaginable. On top of that, her ability redeems or improves a number of Guardian cards. Second Wind is a great way to cover for her low health since she can more or less guarantee that she'll draw a treachery. A more combat-focused Gloria can funnel the monsters to herself with ease, allowing her to use Evidence! and Glory whenever she needs to, as well as letting her prepare to get optimal use from Scene of the Crime. Daring is an excellent card for anyone who is likely to be fighting at some point, since it also works with Fight or Evade using willpower. Reliable Sword Cane could be fun to play around with. If playing with bless-adding cards, or alongside Sister Mary, Radiant Smite is a really solid attack spell. In 3-4 player games, her ability synergises really well with First Watch. Inspiring Presence synergises quite well with Alyssa Graham, giving you two opportunities to scry the encounter deck and trigger her ability in a single turn. But, for me, the most exciting synergy (because I love it when seemingly bad cards get redeemed) is with Ambush - if you know when an enemy is coming, and can guarantee that you're the one who draws it, Ambush becomes an excellent card, letting you pre-emptively kill a 2-health enemy or set up a tougher enemy for an easy takedown.

Seeker definitely seems like the most obvious choice for her off-class (it's hard to argue with Practice Makes Perfect, Knowledge is Power, Shortcut, Burning The Midnight Oil, etc.), but the opportunities afforded by Guardian look really fun to me!

8 hours ago, Allonym said:

Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear that! Wishing you (all) well!

Thank you. She is a stubborn German so hanging in there.

I never thought about Sword Cane with Gloria. It is perfect! Especially with the “Miss Marple” sort of persona.

Edited by Mimi61

By some weird anomaly, the Upcoming page has been updated!

• Devil Reef - [December]
  • Horror in High Gear - [January]
  • War of the Outer Gods stand-alone - [December]
  • Marvel Champions: Wasp - [January]
  • Marvel Champions: Quicksilver - [February]
  • Marvel Champions: Scarlet Witch - [February]

ahc54-box.png ahc55-box.png ahc59-box.png

3 hours ago, Duciris said:

By some weird anomaly, the Upcoming page has been updated!

• Devil Reef - [December]
  • Horror in High Gear - [January]
  • War of the Outer Gods stand-alone - [December]
  • Marvel Champions: Wasp - [January]
  • Marvel Champions: Quicksilver - [February]
  • Marvel Champions: Scarlet Witch - [February]

ahc54-box.png ahc55-box.png ahc59-box.png

On 11/11/2020 at 12:44 PM, Mimi61 said:

I mentioned that too! Always good to be in sync with my favorite fine feathered friend!

Has anyone else has trouble getting Dark Revelations delivered? I got a tracking number for delivery back on November 2nd, but it's being saying "Waiting on package" ever since (as in FFG/Asmodee haven't even passed the package to UPS).

Just now, Joshuarleonard said:

Has anyone else has trouble getting Dark Revelations delivered? I got a tracking number for delivery back on November 2nd, but it's being saying "Waiting on package" ever since (as in FFG/Asmodee haven't even passed the package to UPS).

That has happened to me a couple times and eventually they said that they didn't have enough stock to complete my order. It might work out, but when it's happened to me that's why. You might want to make sure that there are other places to get dark revelations before it's impossible to find, in case ffg cancels.

Just now, Jaync said:

That has happened to me a couple times and eventually they said that they didn't have enough stock to complete my order. It might work out, but when it's happened to me that's why. You might want to make sure that there are other places to get dark revelations before it's impossible to find, in case ffg cancels.

That's what I figured was going on. I'll grab it off Amazon before it's too late. Thanks!!

Edited by Joshuarleonard
On 11/14/2020 at 12:10 PM, Duciris said:

My preorders just got processed. I believe that means they release next week!

Pretty sure the official North American release date for both of those is December 6.

On 11/18/2020 at 11:13 AM, Joshuarleonard said:

I got mine on Amazon before I realized it was back in stock and it was delivered in 3 days.

9 hours ago, Duciris said:

My preorders just got processed. I believe that means they release next week!

Mine are processed too!

Arkham campaigns always release on the first Friday of the month for us, though Standalones and Novels sometimes don’t. Unless there is a snafu, mine usually come about 4-5 days early, but there is a Holiday next week to take into account.

I wish we could all get together and play War of the Outer Gods somehow.

Edited by Mimi61
20 hours ago, TwiceBorn said:

Pretty sure the official North American release date for both of those is December 6.

18 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Mine are processed too!

Arkham campaigns always release on the first Friday of the month for us, though Standalones and Novels sometimes don’t. Unless there is a snafu, mine usually come about 4-5 days early, but there is a Holiday next week to take into account.

Pretty sure they're processing things early as next week is Thanksgiving and everything will be shutdown Thursday/Friday. So, an additional week out.

- - -

Bad news on the COVID/things-getting-shipped-on-time front. The Governor of Minnesota (where all things Asmodee ship from in America) has rolled out a new 6-week shutdown. This may or may not lead to interruptions in items being shipped again.

20 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

There's always OCTGN! Though a multi-group epic multiplayer game would need central coordination...