A Web-Based Character Generator - The Genesys Emporium

By SkyJedi, in Genesys

Sorry to "bug" you, but I just added Brigadine armor and it didn't upgrade the soak or defense.

I'll leave you alone now and come back to the program tomorrow.

Thanks for what your'e doing.

No worries. Did you equip it?

Also hop on the discord if you wanna chat more back and forth.

Genesys Discord Server
http://discord.gg/3vNJa6t

Just a note for others that have gotten a blank screen with "Loading" and nothing seems to work to fix it (disabling pop-up blocker, etc.). Using MS Explorer* seemed to be the problem for me, had to switch to Edge or Chrome.

*Yes I know, I know I shouldn't be using this, I hate change.

44 minutes ago, Sturn said:

Just a note for others that have gotten a blank screen with "Loading" and nothing seems to work to fix it (disabling pop-up blocker, etc.). Using MS Explorer* seemed to be the problem for me, had to switch to Edge or Chrome.

*Yes I know, I know I shouldn't be using this, I hate change.

gasp! sorry, I don';t have access to explorer to confirm at the moment

I finally tracked down the IE no-workie issues. Turns out IE doesn't support a function I use all over the place. I'll check it out tomorrow, but thought I'd share this funny image for the compatibility of the function

6I6dCoq.png

Edited by SkyJedi
4 hours ago, SkyJedi said:

Turns out IE doesn't support a function

Old joke: How does Microsoft change a light bulb? It doesn't. It declares darkness an industry standard.

Edited by lyinggod
I think its a joke.....

fixed the loading issues with IE. its still mostly untested on IE and might have more issues. I know for sure exporting data doesn't work. At this point I'm placing this into the "Not a big but really a feature" and encourage you to instead use a browser that is supported.

I'm currently (slowly) getting a database of all the gear from the books. Once that is in place it'll probably wipe out the current gear for characters. No timeline on that so keep your backups current

On 4/30/2018 at 5:38 AM, SkyJedi said:

I'm currently (slowly) getting a database of all the gear from the books. Once that is in place it'll probably wipe out the current gear for characters. No timeline on that so keep your backups current

Hey Sky, just want to say you're AWESOME and I love the work you've been doing to help support Genesys.

In regards to equipment, will you be adding stuff like cybernetics as well? Or maybe the means of making our own, and choosing the characteristics/skills, such they alter?

Or is there something there for that already and I'm missing it? For instance, I don't see a way of manually bringing down the strain threshold to allot for Cyberware implantation, ect.

On 5/5/2018 at 8:54 PM, ArgentAngel said:

Hey Sky, just want to say you're AWESOME and I love the work you've been doing to help support Genesys.

In regards to equipment, will you be adding stuff like cybernetics as well? Or maybe the means of making our own, and choosing the characteristics/skills, such they alter?

Or is there something there for that already and I'm missing it? For instance, I don't see a way of manually bringing down the strain threshold to allot for Cyberware implantation, ect.

cybernetics will be a part of the gear manager, it'll alter stain, characteristics, skills as you would expect. ETA ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is amazing, thank you. It blows SWSheets.com out of the water (which I use for my edge of empire game) - I really like that it adds talent modifiers to the skill line. I don't suppose you've done anything similar, or know of something similar, for the SW books?

That said, I wondered if it could be possible to remove skills that don't fit the setting you are playing?

(I registered my account just to post this.)

4 hours ago, RamMegiddo said:

This is amazing, thank you. It blows SWSheets.com out of the water (which I use for my edge of empire game) - I really like that it adds talent modifiers to the skill line. I don't suppose you've done anything similar, or know of something similar, for the SW books?

That said, I wondered if it could be possible to remove skills that don't fit the setting you are playing?

(I registered my account just to post this.)

Nope nothing for star wars at the moment.

You can remove skills by clicking on the category heading(general, combat, etc)

It's not immediately apparent and I really need to make an options tab.

For star wars use oggdude. It is in the another character generator thread in the edge of the empire forum

42 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

For star wars use oggdude. It is in the another character generator thread in the edge of the empire forum

I'm afraid I'm a mac user — and while I successfully managed to get Oggdude to run via emulators, it was horrifically slow, and slightly unstable to boot — which is a rather unpleasant combination. As is, the best I've found so far is SWSheets.com.

1 hour ago, SkyJedi said:

Nope nothing for star wars at the moment.

You can remove skills by clicking on the category heading(general, combat, etc)

It's not immediately apparent and I really need to make an options tab.

Awesome! - Thank you.

Yeah, clicking titles to add talents, add skills, remove skills and alter your picture are all things I didn't spot immediately. I found how to change the image after finding out (from here) that clicking the talents title added custom talents, and as a result started trying to click other things to see if they worked (but still managed to miss adding and removing skills).

Just some consistent visual clue to indicate everything that is clickable can be clicked would help — like hyperlinks being blue in the midsts of black text.

I would suggest a cog or gear icon. As it is often used for settings in other contexts.
Maybe positioned to one side of the title, but still part of the clickable area.

Edited by RamMegiddo
4 minutes ago, RamMegiddo said:

Awesome! - Thank you.

Yeah, clicking titles to add talents, add skills, remove skills and alter your picture are all things I didn't spot immediately. I found how to change the image after finding out (from here) that clicking the talents title added custom talents, and as a result started trying to click other things to see if they worked (but still managed to miss adding and removing skills).

Just some consistent visual clue to indicate everything that is clickable can be clicked would help — like hyperlinks being blue in the midsts of black text.

I would suggest a cog or gear icon. As it is often used for settings in other contexts.
Maybe positioned to one side of the title, but still part of the clickable area.

The gear icon is a good idea!

5 hours ago, RamMegiddo said:

This, this, a thousand times this :)

I am a little late to the party but this thing is amazing SkyJedi! Thank you for all of the time and effort you have put into this thing!

With the import/export in effect, is there a place where some of you wonderful people have stored fleshed out data sets that are ready for import?

Thanks!

Just tried using this on my iPhone, it worked fine, though there were a couple of small graphical glitches that I thought might be worth mentioning. Though none of them are substantial impediments to using it;

The strain and wound fields messed up the graphics a little - with the bar between the field and the maximum appearing beneath the maximum, rather than between the field and maximum.

The centring for weapons under equipment log (with lots of dice is off) but not so under carried gear.

Thank you again!

10 hours ago, RamMegiddo said:

Just tried using this on my iPhone, it worked fine, though there were a couple of small graphical glitches that I thought might be worth mentioning. Though none of them are substantial impediments to using it;

The strain and wound fields messed up the graphics a little - with the bar between the field and the maximum appearing beneath the maximum, rather than between the field and maximum.

The centring for weapons under equipment log (with lots of dice is off) but not so under carried gear.

Thank you again!

Yeah, mobile Safari has it's own way of doing things. I have to circle back to that at some point.

Edit: iOS chrome does the same thing I believe. Mobile code is harrrrrred

Edited by SkyJedi
On 5/10/2018 at 10:21 AM, RamMegiddo said:

Awesome! - Thank you.

On 5/10/2018 at 3:36 PM, themensch said:

This, this, a thousand times this :)

added a ⚙ for all the clickable stuffs

Is there any way to keep the wounds and strain boxes empty when printing? Right now it defaults a 0 in each box which is a small annoyance when trying to track them during a session.

Also, I could not find a way to create a custom "Archetype Talent", or even just to edit/add a description to the existing ones. Is it there and I just can't see it?

Thanks.

Edited by MGChrist
6 hours ago, MGChrist said:

Is there any way to keep the wounds and strain boxes empty when printing? Right now it defaults a 0 in each box which is a small annoyance when trying to track them during a session.

hmmmmm, i'll look into it

3 hours ago, MGChrist said:

Also, I could not find a way to create a custom "Archetype Talent", or even just to edit/add a description to the existing ones. Is it there and I just can't see it?

Thanks.

on the list of todos

added a selectable for Cat Ancestry, added descriptions for weapons, armor, gear, added setting field for Characters