A Web-Based Character Generator - The Genesys Emporium

By SkyJedi, in Genesys

Maybe I'm being a bit thick, but

what's the difference between "archetype talents" and "talents" in the custom data section?
Or rather, when should I choose to use any particular section?

1 hour ago, Bram Stoker said:

Maybe I'm being a bit thick, but

what's the difference between "archetype talents" and "talents" in the custom data section?
Or rather, when should I choose to use any particular section?

Archtype talents are the special abilities that archetypes have. I should call them "archetype abilities" but I'm not a smart man.

@SkyJedi

I logged into my character sheet yesterday for the first time in a few weeks. My Bow changed to Ranged (heavy) instead of Ranged. I deleted it and tried to add it again but there is no bow with Ranged to select in the weapon list. Is that a new bug?

Edited by kkahl395
11 minutes ago, kkahl395 said:

@SkyJedi

I logged into my character sheet yesterday for the first time in a few weeks. My Bow changed to Ranged (heavy) instead of Ranged. I deleted it and tried to add it again but there is no bow with Ranged to select in the weapon list. Is that a new bug?

I have it as Ranged. Do you have a custom weapon Bow set to Ranged Heavy?

Thank you very much for your work on this project, SkyJedi. I sus[pect there is likely some user error on my part because I am doing something out of order, but when I select the Natural archetype, I don't seem to be able to select skills from the dropdown menu for "Select 2 options to get 1 rank". Essentially, nothing shows up when the dropdown is clicked. This is true whether or not I have also selected a career and whether or not I have selected any career skills (to be fair, I only tested with Con Artist, which is what I was doing a sheet for). Thank you for any advice you or others might have.

2 hours ago, Khesh said:

Thank you very much for your work on this project, SkyJedi. I sus[pect there is likely some user error on my part because I am doing something out of order, but when I select the Natural archetype, I don't seem to be able to select skills from the dropdown menu for "Select 2 options to get 1 rank". Essentially, nothing shows up when the dropdown is clicked. This is true whether or not I have also selected a career and whether or not I have selected any career skills (to be fair, I only tested with Con Artist, which is what I was doing a sheet for). Thank you for any advice you or others might have.

Yeah that's a technical issue called "busted as butts" I'll look at it tomorrow

Is there any way to change the margins when printing or saving to PDF? There is no top margin but big side margins. You can de-select headers/footers to get rid of the dates and urls on the top and bottom. But setting border to none doesn't change the borders.

Edit: never mind, was a problem on my end

Edited by bigbucky

Looks like the custom settings is disabled. I lost the custom setting I had entered as well as the four custom skills I entered this morning. If we're in development transition, I'll wait to reenter any more custom stuff.

Edited by Dragonshadow
13 hours ago, Dragonshadow said:

Looks like the custom settings is disabled. I lost the custom setting I had entered as well as the four custom skills I entered this morning. If we're in development transition, I'll wait to reenter any more custom stuff.

Custom setting are disabled right now.

All the custom data should be in there and should work just fine If you're missing skills double check they are enabled in the skills list.

3 hours ago, SkyJedi said:

Custom setting are disabled right now.

All the custom data should be in there and should work just fine If you're missing skills double check they are enabled in the skills list.

Any ETA on the custom settings being reenabled? It looks like I can't pull up the custom skills into the generic setting, and can't select the new setting to try to enable them that way.

Likewise, am I able to add other custom items such as talents? I have my setting "trimmed" down to 285 talents from the extended talent book and was hoping to import them via JSON.

One other item of note: it seems like when I do an import, it duplicates other same-named items rather than overwriting them. That will make it difficult to share updated custom export files with the rest of the group since the import will explode their lists. Is there a way to force an overwrite?

32 minutes ago, Dragonshadow said:

Any ETA on the custom settings being reenabled? It looks like I can't pull up the custom skills into the generic setting, and can't select the new setting to try to enable them that way.

Likewise, am I able to add other custom items such as talents? I have my setting "trimmed" down to 285 talents from the extended talent book and was hoping to import them via JSON.

One other item of note: it seems like when I do an import, it duplicates other same-named items rather than overwriting them. That will make it difficult to share updated custom export files with the rest of the group since the import will explode their lists. Is there a way to force an overwrite?

ETA: when I have the time

There is no filter right now so all custom objects are loaded regardless of what setting is selected.

Just tested skills, talents and weapon all are working.

Import duplicates right now, haven't thought up a better way to handle that

Is the wish list on the front page the order you think you're going to work on things as you have time? Magic and Heroic abilities are high on my wish list but I understand this is a free tool and I'll be patient. :D

all SOTB databasing is done for the emporium. I still have to get the talents that allow a choice of careerskills to work

Love the work in this and as a new SotB user, anxiously awaiting the Talents allowing a choice of Career skills. :)

One minor thing. :) On the Talent list, would it be possible to display "-" for the rank of Talents that are "Not Ranked"? At first glance, I thought I had chosen a lot of Ranked Talents... LOL

I had a thought; I think it'd be easier to determine Career skills by a checkbox next to each skill, then maybe a counter to determine how many skills you'd checked. Seems like less of a hassle than trying to create a new Career; I know some people don't use careers at all, just house rule that each player can choose eight or so skills.

It is possible to change a skill to a career skill, as the result of a talent.

For example: If I choose "Years on the Force" (from SotBS) I can choose either Ranged Light or Perception as a career skill. Can this be reflected in the Emporium so XP is spent correctly?

Sorry if I have missed this explanation in an earlier post.

PS - thanks for the excellent site! I am loving it.

Edited by Andreievitch
Added the PS for thanks
6 hours ago, Andreievitch said:

It is possible to change a skill to a career skill, as the result of a talent.

For example: If I choose "Years on the Force" (from SotBS) I can choose either Ranged Light or Perception as a career skill. Can this be reflected in the Emporium so XP is spent correctly?

Sorry if I have missed this explanation in an earlier post.

PS - thanks for the excellent site! I am loving it.

Not yet, soon though

# 1.7.4
added check to stop duplicate data import

you'll need to remake your export files in order for this to work.

Edited by SkyJedi
On 3/10/2019 at 10:47 AM, TCArknight said:

Love the work in this and as a new SotB user, anxiously awaiting the Talents allowing a choice of Career skills. :)

One minor thing. :) On the Talent list, would it be possible to display "-" for the rank of Talents that are "Not Ranked"? At first glance, I thought I had chosen a lot of Ranked Talents... LOL

done

Great stuff.

One suggestion. It would be a great time saver if the skills displayed/hidden on the page by default, could correspond to the selection made in the "Theme" menu at the top of the page. Sorry if this is already planned ( settings filter?) or has already been suggested.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by Aazlain
21 minutes ago, Aazlain said:

Great stuff.

One suggestion. It would be a great time saver if the skills displayed/hidden on the page by default, could correspond to the selection made in the "Theme" menu at the top of the page. Sorry if this is already planned ( settings filter?) or has already been suggested.

Keep up the good work.

Settings filter will do this

is there an option to have an Archetype that allows to select from several talents, similar to what has been done with skills for archetypes?

Additionally, I am trying to setup a spreadsheet to generate the JSON text for uploading custom data. In examination of the CUSTOM TALENTS export, parts of it are unclear. The ANTIREQUISITE and PREREQUISITE fields contain a condensed name of the referenced talent (ie: CleverRetort for Clever Retort). However, unlike Archetype Talents, there is not a field that stores the custom talents condensed name. Is the condensed name encoded in the ID field? If so, how is the ID field generated? If the ID field is just a random 20 digit upper/lower case alphanumeric number, does the condensed name matter for CUSTOM TALENTS?

Is there a maximum number of records (ie talents) that can imported at once

Thanks

Edited by lyinggod
More Questions

How does one select the Strain-free cybernetic for the Cyborg archetype?

How do I restore all settings to default? I don't have the option to delete imported data sets.

Anyone working importing the Dark Heresy ruleset, as created by Tom Cruise?