A Web-Based Character Generator - The Genesys Emporium

By SkyJedi, in Genesys

Again, incredible work.

Maybe I missed the point, but, is it possible to write the dice icons on the description of the custom Talents ??

1 hour ago, Solkar77 said:

Again, incredible work.

Maybe I missed the point, but, is it possible to write the dice icons on the description of the custom Talents ??

[yellow] [success] etc....

So unless it's a setting I'm missing, the print version is barebones. Is there a way to print with the selected theme? Or to save as PDF so I can print later?

BTW incredible work! This now allows my players to play using their tablets instead of using pen and paper sheets, which makes more sense in the Android setting! If you could optimize for mobile, or make an app, that'd be incredible! Buuut we'll take what we can get for now; totally going to donate!

2 hours ago, The Mick said:

So unless it's a setting I'm missing, the print version is barebones. Is there a way to print with the selected theme? Or to save as PDF so I can print later?

BTW incredible work! This now allows my players to play using their tablets instead of using pen and paper sheets, which makes more sense in the Android setting! If you could optimize for mobile, or make an app, that'd be incredible! Buuut we'll take what we can get for now; totally going to donate!

the print is fairly barebones, but the images do change based on what theme you've selected and remain in the printout. The main logo on the printout changes as well.

Most OSes have an option in their print menus to save as a PDF, windows being the exception, but it is easy to set up. So I'm not going to bother duplicating that functionality.

The App should be fairly mobile optimized already and i recently got PWA working so you should be prompted to add to homescreen when you visit.

Not sure if this was asked yet, but is there a way to manually mark a skill as a career skill? I'm favoring more open careers that don't lock down 8 skills (I go with 4 on some very broadly defined career templates and let the player pick the other four to represent a more focused actual career within the template). This method was suggested by Paul Haakonsen in his Shadowrun conversion.

How we'll likely handle it if necessary is to give each of the more focused careers a custom name that combines the template with the 4 skills they choose. I want them to name the career more specifically anyway in their character notes, so that might work fine. That said, it would be useful to allow a manual career skill override.

No, per CRB you get four and talents can add more. The emporium is designed this way

Hey SkyJedi, I love the program!

I'm currently in the process of hacking Genesys to work for a Fallout RPG I'm currently working on, and one of the things I've done to the system is changed the six attributes into the seven SPECIAL attributes from Fallout. (these have then been remapped to skills, and custom skills have been added)

I was wondering whether you were able to open up the player characteristics to be another thing to be editable (rename them, add and remove characteristics, remap them to custom skills).

15 hours ago, RedEyeManiac said:

Hey SkyJedi, I love the program!

I'm currently in the process of hacking Genesys to work for a Fallout RPG I'm currently working on, and one of the things I've done to the system is changed the six attributes into the seven SPECIAL attributes from Fallout. (these have then been remapped to skills, and custom skills have been added)

I was wondering whether you were able to open up the player characteristics to be another thing to be editable (rename them, add and remove characteristics, remap them to custom skills).

no, this changes a core mechanic of the genesys system.

Edited by SkyJedi

Hi, one suggestion.

Is it possible to add the Encumbrance as attribute modificable by an item, so we can create Backpacks and similar containers ??

BR,

Edited by Solkar77

Wow, you've been busy since the last time I was here. This thing looks even better now!

Anyway, is there any way to make an Archetype Talent like "Ynfernael Lore", that gives both a career skill and free ranks? Can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays to you good sir!

@Nirobu , there is! Go to Archetype Talents under the Custom Data tab. When creating the talent, select Yes for Modifier, and then select Career Skills. The free skill ranks are added on the Custom Archetype tab under Free Skill Ranks.

14 hours ago, Nirobu said:

Wow, you've been busy since the last time I was here. This thing looks even better now!

Anyway, is there any way to make an Archetype Talent like "Ynfernael Lore", that gives both a career skill and free ranks? Can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays to you good sir!

You can export and edit the custom archetype talent to provide both, but there is no way to to do it in the generator.

Users the modifer object add the correct key: value pairs for what you want. You can find examples in my GitHub data/ folder or just make two talents and export both then combine the modifer objects.

3 hours ago, SkyJedi said:

You can export and edit the custom archetype talent to provide both, but there is no way to to do it in the generator.

Users the modifer object add the correct key: value  pairs for what you want. You can find examples in my GitHub data/ folder or just make two talents and export both then combine the modifer objects.

Ahh, I figured. Hehe. Thanks for your hard work!

CUSTOM VEHICLES!

i also removed settings builder and strict. it was causing a lot of issues and i need to retool it.

Screenshot-2018-12-27-at-8-05-25-PM.png

12 hours ago, SkyJedi said:

CUSTOM VEHICLES!

i also removed settings builder and strict. it was causing a lot of issues and i need to retool it.

I'm still seeing the setting builder, strict seems to still be working, and there's no vehicle tab in custom data.

1 hour ago, lbwoodard said:

I'm still seeing the setting builder, strict seems to still be working, and there's no vehicle tab in custom data.

You're using a cached version. Clear cache and it'll update

I'm getting a really odd error. For some reason the word "brother" keeps being replaced by "ROT" when I print to PDF:

thujeMw.png

I logged out, cleared the cache, but the error persists.

7 hours ago, verdantsf said:

I'm getting a really odd error. For some reason the word "brother" keeps being replaced by "ROT" when I print to PDF:

thujeMw.png

I may have an overly aggressive text replacement for print layout. I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

On 12/27/2018 at 9:07 PM, SkyJedi said:

CUSTOM VEHICLES!

Screenshot-2018-12-27-at-8-05-25-PM.png

Woot! I've been waiting for this for such a long time! Is there any way to add the vehicles to the character sheets for printing?

My question is.. I saved some of the customizations before you shut it down. If I send people the export file I created, can they use that so that it has all the new skills, talents, and restrictions of what they can take (Strict) if they import it?

I am about ready to start play testing my new Genesys setting (World of Alagaesia from the Eragon Inheritance series) and I have several customizations, including new talents and such. I had put in the strict mode so the players would know what to select, and what they couldn't. I was able to save a couple of characters before you shut it down that I used for testing, but would like to be able to have them create characters.

20 minutes ago, gm_ordon said:

My question is.. I saved some of the customizations before you shut it down. If I send people the export file I created, can they use that so that it has all the new skills, talents, and restrictions of what they can take (Strict) if they import it?

I am about ready to start play testing my new Genesys setting (World of Alagaesia from the Eragon Inheritance series) and I have several customizations, including new talents and such. I had put in the strict mode so the players would know what to select, and what they couldn't. I was able to save a couple of characters before you shut it down that I used for testing, but would like to be able to have them create characters.

The imports should still work, but it'll display and item with "all" , the selected setting, or any blank in the settings field.

A much better system is coming, I just need to move all data in the database around first.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

On 1/3/2019 at 11:58 PM, verdantsf said:

thujeMw.png

should be fixed now.

Ive also pushed the first in a major database restructuring project. your custom Archetypes have been restructured and simplified. let me know if you find any issues. upnext will be archetype talents!

Edited by SkyJedi

I'm removing the settings filter for now. its not functioning as intended right now. it'll be back at some point

I see that I broke vehicles. Hurray! All the data is still there. I push a fix tonight or tomorrow.

vehicles fixed

Edited by SkyJedi