Imperial Census (Spoilers for Kyotei Castle)

By Tonbo Karasu, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

3 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

I think you can add Hatsuko now, seeing that she’s mentioned in the last Scorpion fiction as “Kachiko’s favorite geisha spy”. So she’s has appeared in two fictions now.

Indeed, but notice that she's a Shosuro spy this time, rather than an actual geisha.

Also, Goshiu's back.

3 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Indeed, but notice that she's a Shosuro spy this time, rather than an actual geisha.

Also, Goshiu's back.

Well, in the old lore she was raised and trained by the Shosuro, but of course she didn’t take their name, for obvious reasons.

And this time, although she’s called as Shosuro by Yojiro, I doubt she use that name in her work in the sake/geisha house. I even doub anyone outside Kachiko’s circle knows she’s a Shosuro. It’ll make a terrible spy of her.

I wonder... while Toturi being appointed Emerald Champion seems to be out of track for the Rokugan we knew, on the other hand it sets the situation so that his "fall from grace" makes more sense after the Coup (if it ever comes to that). Certainly, as EC he would have way more personal responsability over the wellbeing of the Emperor than just being one of seven (or six, if you discount the couping clan) champions. The original reasons why he was singled out to take the fall, when all other Champions weren't, were too convulted. I hope this new version still takes some elements we know (Hatsuko seems to be being set up for something) but certainly this EC-ship makes the outcome more logical.

Edited by Mon no Oni

Being caught declaring yourself Emperor when the new one is still alive is too convoluted?

23 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Being caught declaring yourself Emperor when the new one is still alive is too convoluted?

Exactly. Do you see it a logical thing to do, in this setting? Toturi thinking "Oh, jeez, why not? Nobody will object" even if the prince happens not to be dead after all?

4 minutes ago, Mon no Oni said:

Exactly. Do you see it a logical thing to do, in this setting? Toturi thinking "Oh, jeez, why not? Nobody will object" even if the prince happens not to be dead after all?

The way it's presented in the Otosan Uchi box set is "**** the entire Imperial line has been wiped out, I can see all their bodies! The Scorpion clan has been destroyed, more or less, the Crab are here ! Someone needs to take charge now, or the whole Empire's falling apart - I can see it now. Right, better start giving orders."

Exactly.... The OU boxset. Distant Thunder, postponed for years and written by other storyline team, that had to make a story that had to make sense of a bunch loose plot points that had been already written during the intervining years. And they did a phenomenal job! But it's just soap-opera convulted.

You can update Ide Tadaji as Ide daimyo.

I think I have brought this up to date with the fictions and the new set announcement.

Missing:

• Daidoji Uji - existing character - RPG (Beta) page 14
  • Doji Shigeru - new character - RPG (Beta) page 14
  • Satto - ronin - new character - ItGoL
  • Kabuto no Oni - Oni - RPG (Beta) page 109
  • Sanjiro - heimin - TRW
  • Yuki - heimin - TRW
  • Tama - Ashigaru - TtS

To be modified:

• Kakita Asami - existing character - appeared in Roleplaying the Emerald Empire (1st Edition Core book) as Yuri's daughter and Kuwanan's childhood sweetheart
  • Akodo Kozue - new character - I have no reference of such character in old L5R. If existed, may you describe where, please?
  • Akodo Matoko - existing character - appeared in CCG (Scorpion Clan Coup Scroll 3) and Otosan Uchi book as Daidoji Uragirin's wife
  • Akodo Yok u tsune - new character - I have no reference of such character in old L5R. If existed, may you describe where, please?
  • Isawa Rujo - existing character - no interrogation on him, appeared in Way of the Phoenix, Imperial Histories, ... as sensei to Tadaka who resigned as Earth Master after Tadaka won him at a duel (as described in Meditations on the Ephemeral fiction)
  • Shiba Sukazu - new character - no reference about him on Old L5R
  • Soshi Shiori - new character - no reference about him on Old L5R

Typos:

• Bayushi Yunako (f) - commander of Bayushi Guard - new character - card, TWaS
  • Akodo Yok u tsune

Races/Creatures:

• Ogres - RPG (Beta) page 99
  • Trolls - RPG (Beta) page 109
  • Hibagon - mythical Ape-men - TtS
  • Orochi - sea serpents - RPG (Beta) page 109
  • Fushichō - Phoenix spirits - card

I'll grant you Uji, since that's a known name and is obviously setting material in the example, but I feel that a sample PC in an example of play isn't quite canon.

I've also decided just to stick to Samurai caste characters, even then it's beginning to get unwieldy :)

I'm trying to stick solely to data which we have got from FFG so, for example, Rujo's position as Master of Earth has never been stated, even though we assume it.

Nevertheless, thankyou, there were a number of things that really needed updated from your list.

Updated with a couple of old friends arriving in the fiction -

• Uji, everyone's favourite mirror universe assassin
  • Kagi, who appears to be a new spelling of the famed ninja-hunter
On 12/18/2017 at 2:23 AM, Oni no Pikachu said:

Soshi Shiori - new character - no reference about him on Old L5R

For the sake of correctness, Soshi Shiori is female, so "her", not "him".

Just wanted to say thank you so much for maintaining this: it helps a lot when I'm planning out a future fiction and need to double-check what's been said so far about a given character. :-)

I have updated the list with the uniques from Disciples od the void. Except Lion.

I've updated this for the latest story, including the existence of the Dragonfly (Yay!!) and the Sesai vassal family (Boo!! Sorry, got a bit panto there. Nothing against them in particular, but they are the Phoenix ninja, so can expect the occasional boo.)

We get confirmation of some names of the current Masters (and and old one) in the Disciples of the Void insert, which is itself the first chapter of the novella.

Asako Azunami (f) - Master of Water

Isawa Kaiyoko (f) - previous Master of Water, retired to study the Tao shortly after the Crane tsunami.

(Isawa?) Eju (m) - Master of Air

Also Rujo is confirmed as Isawa Rujo in the "Repentance..." story

I'm pretty confident that Eju is an Isawa as well, since they've started with the Council of Five as it was in the pre-coup time, but have brought in a completely new replacement Master of Water since then. This probably also means we won't be seeing Isawa Tomo.

Yep, Azunami seems to take the place of Isawa Tomo at this point and unless something unexpected happens. On the other hand, Eju is shown to be very elderly (decrepit is the world used) so he will probably be replaced soon, maybe Isawa Ouna is his the Scion of Water.

There was also a mention about Tsuke new student. "I liked your last one better" says another of the Masters.

I was also trying to read between lines in Ujina scenes, to see if there was some shadowy implications, but I didn't find anything. The only weird thing was a reference to a "butterbur leaf", which may have been a reference to a previous line in the story but I must have missed it.

I thought one of the things they talked about was that Eju hasn't yet got a Scion of Air.

Unfortunately, Tsuke's last one was sent off as a ronin as cover-up for the disaster at Ujimitsu's funeral. I still think it would be funny if he was Isawa Dairya.

I'm going to reserve comment on Ujina's motives until I've read the rest of the book, I think.

Should I add the RPG pregenerated characters to the Census? They're contestants for the Topaz Championship (as usual).

Yes please do.

I noticed when glancing at this that Satto (ronin) is listed as male. She's actually a female character.

Added Uona, from the article.

I've added in the various appearances in of everyone after Chapter 1 of the Phoenix Novella.