Imperial Census (Spoilers for Kyotei Castle)

By Tonbo Karasu, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

8 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

The problem with the RPG fiction is that they don't have names, leaving me slightly floundering for what to name the Keys.

I honestly just go with the name of the book it comes from and than FT (for flavor text) and page number so for example:

Agasha Johei - L5RRPGFTpg142

Edited by Schmoozies

Typo: Soshi Ezo, not Ezu

Kitsuki Jusai is mentioned on page 63/64 of Whispers of Shadow and Steel as being the Kitsuki family daimyo.

Some characters missing or with an errata from your spreadsheet:

Imperial Families

• Hantei III (m) - existing character - BA
  • Miya (?) - existing character - RPG:Core
  • Otomo (?) - existing character - RPG:Core
  • Seppun (?) - existing character - RPG:Core

Crab Clan

• Hida Kayo (m) [ distinct from his descendant Hida Kayo] - new character - ARP
  • Hida [ Kakita ]] Suzu (f) - new character - RPG:Core

Crane Clan

• Asahina Kenji (m) - new character - TaT
  • Doji Akari (m) - new character - Imperial Gifts fiction
  • Doji Fumiki (f) - new character - card
  • Doji Kiseki (m) - new character - RPG:Core
  • Doji Shike (f) - new character - card flavor
  • Kakita Hikaru (m) - new character - TWaKC

Dragon Clan

• Agasha Johei (?) - new character - RPG:Core
  • Agasha Seigen --> instead of Agasha Saigen [ errata ]
  • Kitsuki Shimada (m) - new character - RPG:Core
  • Kitsuki Tai Yu --> instead of Kitsuki Ti Yu [ errata ]
  • Mirumoto Ichirō (m) - new character - SaS

Falcon Clan

• Toritaka Nyotaka --> instead of Toritaka Naotaka [ errata ]

Lion Clan

• Akodo Kiruhage --> instead of Akodo Kiruhige [ errata ]

Mantis Clan

• Hanako (?) - new character - RPG:M antis
  • Miaka (?) - new character - RPG:M antis
  • Tōya (?) - new character - RPG:M antis

Phoenix Clan

• Asako Yogo (m) - existing character - RPG:Core
  • Isawa Asahina (m) - existing character - RPG:Core, TaT
  • Isawa Ranmaru (m) - new character - Isawa Aki portfolio from Beginner Game
  • Kaito Gensa (f) - new character - TSaTS
  • Shiba [ no Sesai ] Yasuhide (m) - new character - RDNCF
  • Shiba Isonashi (m) - new character - RPG:Core
  • Shiba Itsuyo --> instead of Shiba Itsuya [ errata ]
  • Shiba Musamu (f) - new character - TSaTS
  • Shiba Seinaru (m) - new character - RPG:Core

Scorpion Clan

• Bayushi Ago [ non existing ] --> (persona of Shosuro Hametsu)
  • Bayushi Umiko (f) - new character - Doji Ren portfolio, ItPotEC
  • Shosuro Chiyome (m) - new character - WoSaS
  • Soshi Ezo --> instead of Soshi Ezu [ errata ]

Unicorn Clan

• Iuchi Takuya --> instead of Iuchi Takeya [ errata ]
  • Utaku Yumino --> instead of Utaku Yamino [ errata ]

Wasp Clan

• Tsuruchi (m) - exisiting character - RPG:Core

Fortunes

• Jiro (m) - exisiting character - RPG:Core, SM

Non-humans

• the Ishikibel --> instead of the Ishikibal [ errata ]
  • Fumio (cat) - HFD
  • Genki (rat) - RPG:Core
  • Irugel --> instead of Irugei [ errata ]
  • Kiso (horse) - FD
  • Mayu (horse) - O
  • Rakusetsu (horse) - TRW
  • Takuhiro (dog) - KV
  • Tsubasa (horse) - FD
  • Umeboshi (horse) - FD
  • Yue (horse) - FD

Yay! Got a name for the Asahina daimyo. We're only missing 4 now - Seppun, Agasha, Kitsu and Utaku. What do they have against shugenja daimyo?

12 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Yay! Got a name for the Asahina daimyo. We're only missing 4 now - Seppun, Agasha, Kitsu and Utaku. What do they have against shugenja daimyo?

The Utaku are noted for their shugenja?

1 hour ago, Mangod said:

The Utaku are noted for their shugenja?

No, but 3 out of 4 of the missing families are - 75%. Whereas there are only about 1 in 3 major families which are known for shugenja.

A very brief first update from Emerald Empire with a couple of Minor Clans that are mentioned - the destroyed Snake and the Moth Dreamweavers.

Moth were mentioned in the Core book, though the family name is first mentioned in EE.

dj-a4_lord-graph.png

dj-a4_death-graph.png

Many of the groups who played competitively proved more willing to challenge the Crane’s dominion over Kyotei Castle. Seven groups in total (37%) sided with the Lion Clan and supported Damasu Maeda’s claim to the castle. One group refrained from backing any single clan, instead negotiating a truce during which Maeda’s claim could be validated and a path to peace in the region found. Overall, however, it was the Crane Clan that prevailed (58% of all sessions), but different samurai were installed as lord depending on the outcome of the PCs’ choices. If Tsume Takashi was killed during the ambush on the way to the shrine, his heir and captain of the guard, Tsume Kotonoha, would be lifted as heir instead (27% of the Crane-loyal groups). The same percentage convinced Tsume Takashi to accept his duty and stay on as lord, despite his disinterest in the responsibilities. Ultimately, however, it was the newly married Tsume no Doji Itsuyo who became the custodian of the valley (46% of all Crane groups), sealing the alliance between the Crane and Phoenix Clans.

In the process, Damasu Maeda was slain, either by Shiba Itsuyo in single combat or by the combined might of the player characters. Tsume Takashi, heartbroken at being united with his former lover only to lose her again, resigned his position and committed seppuku after fulfilling his last duty as lord in marrying Itsuyo. Now, Tsume no Doji Itsuyo, a trained warrior and willing leader, has flourished in her new role. Doji Kuzunobu, husband to Doji Hotaru and one of the wedding’s guests, accepted her oaths of fealty to the Doji family and recognized her as the new lord. Though Toshi Ranbo has been named an Imperial City under chief magistrate Bayushi Yojiro, the Crane Clan maintains an outpost in the region at Kyotei Castle. Most importantly, if the Lion Clan threatens the Golden Valley, they know that the Shiba family will defend their daughter’s claim.

Since these are announced "official" results, (equivalent to 'story choice' championship decisions), then I would guess the census should be updated appropriately - Shiba Itsuyo > Tsume no Doji Itsuyo, Lord of Kyotei Castle, for example.

From Emerald Empire (the new RPG sourcebook):

Lion Clan

• Akodo Minami, ranking soldier in the City of the Rich Frog

• Matsu Hideji, magistrate of the Lion Clan
  • Matsu Chieko, Daidoji Narisawa's betrothed, at Last Breath Castle
  • Ikoma Honzo (Eighth Century), wandering duellist, writer of the journal The Days of Salt and Sun

Crane Clan

• Daidoji Narisawa, a Crane Samurai
  • Hiramichi Asao, travelling companion to Daidoji Narisawa and a Daidoji Vassal
  • Doji Suko (Ninth Century), artist, painter of Red Steel
  • Doji Retsu (Deceased), former daimyo of Kyotei castle and original capturer of Toshi Ranbo
  • Kakita Ryoku (Ninth Century), writer of the novel Winter
  • Kakita Ume (Ninth Century), artist, inventor of screen printings
  • Kakita Mako, (Ninth Century), poet, rival of Bayushi Kiko
  • Kakita Sukenobu, Steward of Toshi Ranbo (prior to it being made an Imperial City and Bayushi Yojiro being made governor)
  • Kakita Shijin, Poet
  • Kakita Shiko, Artisan, Daughter of Kakita Shijin
  • Kakita Torikago, Artisan, appointed to the Crane guest home in Otosan Uchi, Lover to Kakita Shiko

Crab

• Kuni Hazu, Founder of the Imperial Museum of Antiquities
  • Murata Hisao, priest at the Shrine of Four Gifts

Scorpion

• Bayushi Kiko, (Ninth Century), poet, rival of Kakita Mako

• Bayushi Tesaguri (Fifth Century), traitor, sold three black scrolls to the Phoenix clan

• Shosuro Sanae, Travelling Go Champion and rival of Kitsuki Taizo

Phoenix

• Shiba Kanko (Ninth Century), artist, painter of Plum Blossoms

Imperial

• Miya Tetsua, Governor of the City of the Rich Frog

• Miya Chinatsu, Imperial Scribe and writer of the Age of Heaven And Earth

Dragon

• Kitsuki Taizo, Go Champion and rival of Shosuro Sanae

Mantis

• Koharu, Mantis Mercenary
  • Kanidoko Itte, Chartmaster in Gotei Port City

• Captain Byakko, Fifth Cousin of Yoritomo, captain of the Takarabako

Unicorn

• Moto Rurame, Noyan of the Scarlet Banners and sister of Moto Ogödei

• Utaku Anbasukai, Discover of an ore deposit now worked by Anbasukai Village

• Uchida, a former Crab Ronin, now a guard at Anbasukai Village

Other

• Yuzue, Shinseist Monk (Ninth Century), philosopher who inspired the Perfect Land Sect
  • Gatai, Shinseist Monk (Ninth Century), student of Yuzue, founder of the Perfect Land Sect
  • Hanako, a Ronin in Toshi Ranbo, last survivor of the Goseki family
  • Reiha, brewmaster of Buzzing Fly Village

• Chinoko, a Geisha and Kolat member in Red Horn Village

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I think the Goseki family can also be added consideging Wedding at Kyotei castle, even if their status is unclear.

More from Emerald Empire:

Imperial

• Miya Hisano (1088) Artist & Author, Writer of the Travelogue of Miya Hisano and accompanying woodblock images
  • Miya Boshin, son of the Governor of Ukabu Mura and student at the Shrine of the Kami of Kanawa Lake

• Seppun Meiko, Daidoji Hisao's betrothed

Crab

• Yasuki Nobuko, Merchant in Ryokō Owari Toshi

• Kuni Kayo, shrine keeper at the shrine of the Willow-Healing Kami

• Kuni Haruna, witch hunter at west mountain mine village

• Kaiu “Shibito” Tsuneko, scholar in the architecture of ancient ruins

Scorpion

• Rokugo Family, Bayushi Vassals, Manage the black market and anti-piracy patrols along the River of Gold

• Aotora Akira, a pilgrim at Silent Ones monastary

Phoenix

• Asako Taishi, Itinerant Scholar
  • Asako Takahiro, inquisitor at west mountain mine village

Dragon

• Agasha Kiori, a shujenga at the Shrine of the Kami of Kanawa Lake

• Agasha Susumu, guide to the Dragon Mountains and scholar of herbcraft

• Chikako, initiate monk at the High House of Light

Unicorn

• Utaku Sabuteki, Cousin of Utaku Kamoko, Quartermaster and Outpost Commander of Hyōzenshō, The Outpost Of Ice

• Utaku Takeko, pilgrim at the Shrine of the Ki-Rin

Crane

• Daidoji Hisao, A bridegroom at Benten Seidō

• Daidoji Haranobu, a governor and father of Daidoji Hisao

• Kakita Sakura, a samurai missing in Dragon Clan lands

Other

• Yōji, head priest at the Shrine of the Kami of Kanawa Lake

• Kokka, shrine keeper at the Shrine of the Kami of Kanawa Lake, a former Asako

• Tsubaki, head priest at Benten Seidō

• Kawana, assistant priest at Benten Seidō, a former Kakita

• Takeshi, Sohei at Shinden Kasai

• Shu, a monk at the Temple of Listening Ghosts

• Jun, a wandering Shinseist monk

• Yoshi. head monk of the Western Temple

• Dai, "Definitely Not The Head Monk Because We Don't Have One" at Plains Wind Monastary

Lion

• Matsu Nioko, a bushi seeking a blessing for a new sword at the Shrine of the Kami of Kanawa Lake

Mantis

• Uranaishi no Manami, a Pirate Captain

Sparrow

• Suzume Hinagiku, a samurai at Benten Seidō, childhood sweetheart of Daidoji Hisao

Spirits and Non-Humans

• Ha Iwa, a Kitsune

• The Willow Kodama, spirit of the shrine of the Willow-Healing Kami

• Iht-zyk, a Nezumi Forager

• Kasai, a troll in the Valley of Spirits

6 hours ago, Suzume Chikahisa said:

I think the Goseki family can also be added consideging Wedding at Kyotei castle, even if their status is unclear.

Functionally exterminated. Hanako is listed as 'the last survivor of the family' in Emerald Empire , and she's a Ronin in Toshi Ranbo who no longer uses the family name.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I've been spending a bit of time updating the linked Google sheet, and trying to sort the characters into categories (Core characters, Secondary characters, background characters etc.) Once that is done, I'll update the whole thing. My current plan is to only have about 1/2 the total number on the OP, so as to save space!

Quick question, does anyone know how to count the number of times a certain character appears in one cell with a google sheet formula?

Updated with new fiction!

I've added in a bunch of the statted up characters from Emerald Empire, and a large selection of Fortunes.

Updated with a new Minor clan.

Thanks as always for keeping this updated.

Took a look after the update today and found a few things that perhaps needs to be fixed.

-

The EE and RPG keys are missing in the Key-list.

-

I was checking the Imperial Census for Kakita Ryoku earlier (since she was mentioned in the new article about the Winter’s Embrace adventure). She was missing then but has now been added in this latest update.

However in your spreadsheet, she is listed to be mentioned in TAoHaE, but in this forum thread she is listed to be in EE. (TAoHaE isn’t used at all on the forum.)

Is this correct? Because in your spreadsheet both the TAoHaE-Key and EE-Key is used.

I also see another character with the TAoHaE-Key in your spreadsheet, Ide Takauji, who has a Y under the On forum-column. But I can’t find this character here on the forum?

-

Is the CotE-Key supposed to be for the three part Children of the Empire-story? I suggest to change the Key-description to something like Children of the Empire Part I - III. Also to not confuse it with the card game expansion with the same name.

However I found that Akodo Toturi is missing the CotE-Key on the forum, but not in your spreadsheet. And when I checked for that in the story, I also found that Doji Satsume is missing the CotE-Key on your spreadsheet, but not on the forum? I haven’t looked for more characters in the three part story, so there might be more that is missing.

Perhaps I am missing something here, but I see now that more of the Keys listed beside Akodo Toturi in your spreadsheet are missing on the forum. From the In-column on the spreadsheet the following is missing on the forum: TSWT, SF and WaDF. And then it is just CotE from the Mentioned-column that is missing, all the others are already included on the forum.

Also checking Doji Satsume, I see that he is missing a Key on the Forum that he has on your spreadsheet, from the Mentioned-column the following is missing: CR. And then the other way around, he has a Key on the Forum that he doesn’t have on your spreadsheet: WaDT, which seems weird.

Checking another one at random, Doji Kuwanan, is missing a Key on the forum, from the Mentioned-column on the spreadsheet: ItPotEC.

-

Ide Torao - This character has been removed, from both the forum and your spreadsheet I'm guessing. Is this correct?

Edited by R5D4

Census updated with new info.

Updated with a horde of Moto.

I've updated the OP with people and things from Shadowlands and the related scenarios.

Just a quick comment, without any update.

The Daimyo of the Utaku is identified in the Warriors of the Wind insert : Utaku Rumaru is the matriarch. This just leaves 3 Great Clan families whose Daimyo we don't know - Seppun, Agasha and Kitsu, who I believe are all shugenja.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:27 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

Just a quick comment, without any update.

The Daimyo of the Utaku is identified in the Warriors of the Wind insert : Utaku Rumaru is the matriarch. This just leaves 3 Great Clan families whose Daimyo we don't know - Seppun, Agasha and Kitsu, who I believe are all shugenja.

To be honest, I hope not all shigenja :D

2 hours ago, Victarion13 said:

To be honest, I hope not all shigenja :D

Now, I'm curious. Why do you hope that one or more of them isn't a shugenja? All three of those families have strong shugenja bloodlines, although Seppun are equally famous for their bushi. However, in the most recent story, Kachiko and Satoshi were sending for the Seppun daimyo to do the cleansing and religious duties. This implies that they're a shugenja. The Kitsu and Agasha already have prominent members who are non-shugenja as well.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:27 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

This just leaves 3 Great Clan families whose Daimyo we don't know - Seppun, Agasha and Kitsu, who I believe are all shugenja.

Well, according to O5R, the current Seppun Daimyo should be Seppun Daiori , who seems to have been a Bushi rather than a Shugenja; and the Agasha Daimyo would probably be be Agasha Tamori . The Kitsu Daimyo would probably be the mother or father of Kitsu Motso , who were never named in the old setting, or Motso himself.

But, again, that's O5R.

6 hours ago, Mangod said:

Well, according to O5R, the current Seppun Daimyo should be Seppun Daiori , who seems to have been a Bushi rather than a Shugenja; and the Agasha Daimyo would probably be be Agasha Tamori . The Kitsu Daimyo would probably be the mother or father of Kitsu Motso , who were never named in the old setting, or Motso himself.

But, again, that's O5R.

Actually if its not his parents it would likely be Motso's Younger brother Toju who was Daimyo. In old lore he was noted to be one of the most powerful Kitsu Shuganja of his lifetime and was head of the Kitsu Soden Senzo school as well as Daimyo of the family.

https://l5r.fandom.com/wiki/Kitsu_Toju