Imperial Census (Spoilers for Kyotei Castle)

By Tonbo Karasu, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

I have added the new characters from Tempests and Tides in.

I have updated for the most recent 2 stories, as well as the family trees on the linked spreadsheet (okay, just the Crane one).

Quick note - we're still missing confirmation of the Daimyo of several major families:

Seppun, Asahina, Daidoji, Agasha, Kitsuki, Kitsu, Moto and Utaku

Edited by Tonbo Karasu

I have updated this with the most recent non-human interest.

I have added the characters from the latest fiction. The two living peasants who escaped have made their way onto the list as viewpoint characters, and someone who killed a Lost(!).

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I have added the characters from the latest fiction. The two living peasants who escaped have made their way onto the list as viewpoint characters, and someone who killed a Lost(!).

Missed the father and the dog that were with them at the end.

First, I am praying for an Isawa Eju card before he's inevitably replaced by Uona. We need more male air and water shugenja and more female fire and earth shugenja.

Second, they could always be shifting ages again and Tomo could be much younger. Whether he'd still be Kaede and Tadaka's sibling (assuming their relation is still canon) is completely up in the air.

I have made modifications as a result of Outsiders.

I love how even the spirits/kami have been diligently reported :D

They will not be exempted from paying their annual tribute to the emperor!

9 minutes ago, mirrorcat said:

I love how even the spirits/kami have been diligently reported :D

They will not be exempted from paying their annual tribute to the emperor!

... how would a Kami pay taxes?

Water Kami have to provide a certain amount of rain per month? Fire Kami have to burn a certain amount of cooking fires, charcoal kilns and lanterns? And how do you punish them if they don't pay tax?

1 hour ago, Mangod said:

Water Kami have to provide a certain amount of rain per month? Fire Kami have to burn a certain amount of cooking fires, charcoal kilns and lanterns? And how do you punish them if they don't pay tax?

to begin with, the Water Kami could show some consideration and mantain a serene sky during the daily training practice of the most noble child the Heavens ever put on this god earth!

I'm sure the Imperial advisor and his ministers can come up with some proper offerings after careful consideration (Earth kami could provide a raw ammount of materials available for mining; the pastry kami could ensure the right ammount of sweetnes in each of its imperial majesty's desserts and so on...)
afterall, if the Kami are celestial beings with great power, why shouldn't their services be of equal magnitude?

For what concerns the punishment for violating the terms of their duty... well, Kami loves shrines,don't they? it'd be a shame if the water shrine were to be relocated near the town public latrine or if the works of renovation would extend over an undetermined ammount of time or be halted due to lack of available funds...

5 hours ago, Mangod said:

You're the Unicorn here, why do you think the Emperor wants to know how to enslave kami...

On 7/19/2018 at 5:04 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

You're the Unicorn here, why do you think the Emperor wants to know how to enslave kami...

Speaking of which: Shahai turns up and is nothed.

Beaten by Manchu. :)

Updated with RPG character notes

Good work, just two things:

- You should note that Togashi Yoshi is Tadakatsu’s student.

- You listed Togashi Kaie as female. When I first read Yoshi’s story, I assumed Kaie was male and the reason the relationship was not approved was because it was homosexual. Maybe I read it wrong or missed something?

Do we have any evidence that homosexual relationships are in themselves discouraged (as opposed to non-marital relationships generally)?

9 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Do we have any evidence that homosexual relationships are in themselves discouraged (as opposed to non-marital relationships generally)?

I thought it was similar to feudal Japan, where homosexual relationships were pretty common, moreso between monks and bushi, but they were not publicly talked about.

P.S: Between monk and bushi I mean sometimes the older one (the master) and the younger (the apprentice) would engage in a relationship for the duration of the learning period, which normally was “monogamous”, until the apprentice was formed as a monk/bushi, and then they can pursue other relationships.

Edited by Tabris2k

I believe the general stance of the Story Team is that homosexual relationships are not disapproved of on moral grounds -- just on the general grounds that being in love is frowned upon by samurai society.

In the case of Yoshi, the disapproval might just be that he's a monk . I'm not actually certain whether the reboot is going with the assumption that ise zumi are generally supposed to be celibate, but that was the case in old canon, so it's possible.

In this specific case, even if they love each other, there’s still celibacy as long as they don’t marry each other. That’s talking about a “pure” love, because I assume no sexual relations.

Mostly because Yoshi has not passed his gempukku, so he’s still a child, and I don’t think the story team wants to go there, as much as it happened in real feudal Japan.

10 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

In this specific case, even if they love each other, there’s still celibacy as long as they don’t marry each other. That’s talking about a “pure” love, because I assume no sexual relations.

Mostly because Yoshi has not passed his gempukku, so he’s still a child, and I don’t think the story team wants to go there, as much as it happened in real feudal Japan.

Well they were both students so it's not that impossible that they may have had reciprocal feelings.

There's a few things missing/not labelled:

Ide Tadaji is the Ide daimyo; from the fiction "Flying Chariot, Standing":

As tradition dictated, Tadaji had walked alone, save for a single bodyguard. Even though this visit was unofficial, no ambassador—much less a family daimyō—could be expected to travel without some protection, even within the safest part of the capital.

Shosuro Hametsu is the Shosuro daimyo; from the fiction "Her Father's Daughter":

Kachiko’s brother, Hametsu, daimyō of the Shosuro family, was reputed to be a master of poisons, more than capable of making it appear that someone had simply…died.

Kaito Kosori is the Kaito daimyo now (possibly even before, though I'm not sure how the daimyo system works in vassal families); in "Outsiders":

That she was the daimyō of the Kaito family.

Matsu Tsuko is confirmed to be Matsu daiymo; from "The Price of War":

“Fool. Lady Tsuko’s ways are unbecoming of the Matsu family daimyō.”

Daidoji Uji is the Daidoji daimyo; it takes a couple lines examined together to establish it, but it's in "The Specters of War":

“Daidoji Uji holds the city now,” he explained. “The Iron Crane could take offense at assertions his shugenja have failed to appease the fallen. That’s why I must refuse the Phoenix petition.”

Hotaru would not have sought war had the Crane Clan Champion stayed in the city, but he did not know enough of the Daidoji daimyō to be sure of his actions.

Thankyou @kTravio . One of the problems of doing this in such a piecemeal manner is that little additions to information sometimes get missed, and a newer pair of eyes catch things for me. I have updated with your information (and changed the monk's gender to (?)).

Updated with the last Elemental Cycle Pack fiction.

I just noticed Ikoma Anakazu as an existing character. He is either a new character or a modified character (I don't think we ever knew who was the Ikoma Daimyo before Tsanuri in Old5R)

Ikoma Anakazu existed in the old continuity. The new continuity story Between the Lines explains that Ikoma Tsanuri recieved her name by standing on a deadly viper (called a tsanuri) to prevent it from biting her. In the old continuity, this happened to Ikoma Anakazu's then-missing daughter while he and his family were living among the Unicorn. It is not clear whether Tsanuri is Anakazu's daughter in the new continuity.