3D printed Talisman miniatures/Terrain

By Leavon, in Talisman

Only another 17 to go then... (so far!) ;)

Fabulous work. I'll be looking at these for a Christmas present for Hubby.

Would you also be interested in doing any work for replacement pieces for the character miniatures that shipped with the game/expansions? My kids have very graciously lost our Dragon Priestess and Ranger miniatures, and the spear has broken off of our Amazon. Being able to get replacement pieces that at least look like the characters (instead of using the paper tokens or third-party miniatures that don't exactly match) would be awesome.

Would you also be interested in doing any work for replacement pieces for the character miniatures that shipped with the game/expansions? My kids have very graciously lost our Dragon Priestess and Ranger miniatures, and the spear has broken off of our Amazon. Being able to get replacement pieces that at least look like the characters (instead of using the paper tokens or third-party miniatures that don't exactly match) would be awesome.

I personally had a great experience with Fantasy Flight when my dog ate a few of my cards. They sent me replacements with no hassle and no cost - they were pretty awesome about it. You might send them an email while they still have stock!

You can follow my little ordeal here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/186765-replacement-card/

:)

Edited by chemical22

Thanks! I would say don't leave it too late to order before Christmas though, I'm currently limited to printing on one machine and it takes around 15 hours to print something like the Crown of command. Currently orders are taking around a week to process and ship but depending on demand that could go up getting closer to Christmas.

To be honest I wouldn't like to get in to producing replicas of existing miniatures, there are some definite copyright issues there. My aim here is to produce original pieces to accessorise the game and create miniatures for Characters that currently only exist as character cards.

I should have the Sentinel available to order from tonight, there have been some technical problems to overcome with the print on this one but I'm hoping that this afternoons test print will come out cleanly and I can get him listed. I'll keep the thread updated.

Meanwhile these crowns are shipping this morning and will be winging there ways to their new owners!

20161017_142725.jpg?raw=1

What is this Leavon?!? .. trying to make us jealous with such pics, are you ??!! ( and it works! ) :-D
GREAT, EXCELLENT, SUPERB work btw !
Big respect!

What is this Leavon?!? .. trying to make us jealous with such pics, are you ??!! ( and it works! ) :-D

GREAT, EXCELLENT, SUPERB work btw !

Big respect!

Heheh, maybe a little ;) . Thanks for the kind words.

Okay, I've received the print from Shapeways and I'm really happy with the detail, the pictures don't really do it justice, it looks far grainier in the photos that in reality. The material is quite brittle and the cross had snapped off on one of the figures so this is something I need to bear in mind in future designs, I've got make the weapons or objects quite chunky.

Unfortunately when I compared it to an original Talisman figure I noticed a couple of problems; the first is that 28mm doesn't really mean 28mm in the world of Talisman, when I measured the Wizard model he comes in at about 31mm, which can make quite a big difference to detail at that scale and secondly the proportions of the Talisman figure are way more cartoony than mine, bigger hands and head which again means you can get more definition in to the facial features.

So really I need to go back and re-work the figure again and then re-submit to shapeways to get something that I'd be happy to cast and sell.

The only thing I'm unsure of now is how much I'm willing to invest in making and designing the character miniatures, It's costing me £15 per mini from Shapeways and then there will be the cost of producing a mould and doing the resin casts. So I've run the numbers on producing a range of 10 miniatures, to print them and then get a mould made I'm looking at around £250, that's without producing a single cast minature. If I factor in roughly 4 weeks of my time producing the sculpts and I'm into the thousands in terms of cost.

I would need to know that there were a LOT of customers out there for these miniatures for it to be worthwhile. So I'm a little unsure on how to progress at the moment, I do plan to have a go at making a mould myself but it's nothing like as efficient as getting one done professionally. If anyone has any thoughts on this then please post up.

exorcist1.jpg?raw=1

exorcist2.jpg?raw=1

exorcist3.jpg?raw=1

exorcist4.jpg?raw=1

I think you are right, a professional mould would be best, and last longer too. (resin cast or plastic injection)

I don't know if there would be thousands of people interested in the figurines, but maybe enough still?

What about crow-funding ? (I have seem stupid projects getting thousands €!)

.. if the community supports it, and you get a bit of 'view-time' from Talisman-Island (biggest fan site after all ^_^ ) or others (players, Boardgamegeeks, ..), it might just work .. I'd definitely participate, specially if the work is as good as yours.

If every player gives 1€ (or pound or $) your mould is payed for ! :-)

Count me in, I'm up for crowd funding or even buying a a few doubles if that helps

Thanks! I would say don't leave it too late to order before Christmas though, I'm currently limited to printing on one machine and it takes around 15 hours to print something like the Crown of command. Currently orders are taking around a week to process and ship but depending on demand that could go up getting closer to Christmas.

To be honest I wouldn't like to get in to producing replicas of existing miniatures, there are some definite copyright issues there. My aim here is to produce original pieces to accessorise the game and create miniatures for Characters that currently only exist as character cards.

I should have the Sentinel available to order from tonight, there have been some technical problems to overcome with the print on this one but I'm hoping that this afternoons test print will come out cleanly and I can get him listed. I'll keep the thread updated.

Meanwhile these crowns are shipping this morning and will be winging there ways to their new owners!

20161017_142725.jpg?raw=1

Can I reserve a Sentinal please Leavon. Thats a fantastic piece. Money to you in the usual way.

I read the abridged version of how he was made :rolleyes:

I too would be in for all the miniatures you can manage! If it were possible a crowd funding type idea that could then be advertised on Talisman Island sounds like a great idea.

Please excuse my ignorance but what us crowd funding, Is it similar to kickstater? Any I would also be interested in getting everything you make.I am just fanatical about everything Talisman ;)

Thanks for the feedback folks, I am going to carry on with the character mini development, I'll be doing a bit of another re-sculpt on the Exorcist and this time using Shapeways Extreme detail to get a smoother finish.

I like the crowd funded mould development idea but it's also been mentioned that it could put me squarely in the spotlight for GW to issue a cease and desist (which could happen at any time tbh).

Another idea is, once I've got a few minis designed and printed at Shapeways and was able to give a good idea of final quality, I could take pre-orders with, say a 50% deposit, and the rest payable once the minis have been produced, would people be okay with this?

Anyway back to the saga of The Sentinel, I awoke this morning full of expectation at what I might find in the printer, unfortunately it's still struggling with certain aspects of the figure. I've tracked this down to a flaw in the cooling process so I've ordered a 2nd fan and I'll be printing a new housing for it and fitting it over the next couple of days which will hopefully sort this issue and make it easier for me to print more complex designs in the future.

So the Sentinel launch is gonna be postponed for a few days but it will look cool once it's done.

80svamp you are 2nd on the list for the Sentinel!

Edited by Leavon

I'd be happy with a "lay away" deposit system :)

Thanks Leavon,for the prompt posting. The parcel arrived this morning.

I'm going to wait until my day off work on Friday to open it so I can enjoy it rather than opening it and then having to dash off to work. :)

20161016_173410_zpspefieamy.jpg

First print of the Crown of command model. A bit of work left but I think will turn out quite nice. Thanks Leavon. :)

I personally would be fine with whatever payment method tbh, even if it is as much as 15 pounds per mini. Crowdfunding, preordering... Whatever you go with, I'm keen.

Also, I know you're planning on producing minis for all the mephisto characters, but are you planning on doing ones for the digital edition originals? (Ninja, pirate, and shaman so far). That's definitely something I'd be interested in getting as well.

The other thing is that when designing the minis it would probably be better to use some of the more recent expansions as reference... The base game and some of the early expansions were super inconsistent in their scale, whereas that was pretty much sorted out later on.

And one final thing... Are you planning on changing the base slightly? Just from your photos it doesn't look like it exactly matches the standard official base, in shape or thickness, and that's something that seems like it could be doable.

Keep the good work up though man, loving what we've seen so far!

Edit: Also lovfinion, Kickstarter is a crowd funding website, yeah. Crowd funding is just a method of raising money (primarily on the internet) where a bunch of people (the "crowd") chip in.

Edited by Cookierobber

Portal of power arrived today, again a fantastic piece of work, amazing Leavon. Will post pictures when I get back home on Sunday. Looking forward to painting this and the crown next week

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/3227990/sithassassin

Edited by Sithassassin

Likewise both arrived. Nicely packaged.

Well impressed with the results and am looking forward to painting them. That Sentinels going to be awesome.

Portal of power arrived today, again a fantastic piece of work, amazing Leavon. Will post pictures when I get back home on Sunday. Looking forward to painting this and the crown next week

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/3227990/sithassassin

Likewise both arrived. Nicely packaged.

Well impressed with the results and am looking forward to painting them. That Sentinels going to be awesome.

Hey folks, really pleased the models arrived safe and sound and that you're happy with the models!

So it's been a frustrating weekend, I did the "upgrade" to the printer and since then I've had 2 failed Sentinel prints and 2 blocked extruder nozzles (oo-er)which have required complete disassembly of the print head. As this is my first printer the whole thing has been quite a steep learning curve, particularly as I'm being quite demanding of it in terms of quality and output. At the moment it's a case of change a setting, print for 10 hours, tweak another setting, repeat and hope for the best.
All of these problems have been with the Sentinel, everything else is printing fine. I've just set it printing again this morning and fingers crossed that this is the one....
In other news I've just taken on a 3 month block of freelance work, this will affect the development of new pieces, particularly character minis. I'm hoping to be able to produce a new terrain piece every 1-2 weeks but the character minis are much more time consuming.
I do still intend to do a run of them but they may now be pushed back a few months, I've re-sculpted the Exorcist, re-scaled him, thickened up the base to better match the existing minis. I'm not sure whether I'll do another test print with Shapeways right now or wait and go with Zealot Minatures ( http://zealotminiatures.com/production/ ) when I've got a few more minis to test. I'm sorry if this is disappointing news, I was both really happy about the freelance work as it's a great project for a AAA PS4 title but at the same time I've been really enjoying the miniatures work, unfortunately it doesn't quite pay the bills.
Fingers crossed I'll have a successful pic of the sentinel this evening.

Slow and sure wins the race!

You have to eat after all :)

The Tavern from Zealot does it fit on the Talisman Board?

At Last!!! After 6 days of printer woes, a completed Sentinel (and defeated Sentinel feet!)has rolled of the print bed. It's been a bit of a slog to get him here but I'm delighted to say that he is now available to buy as a print and download!

I've now got a weeks worth of orders backed up as a result of my printer breakdown (the poor thing has been working it's cogs off!) so shipping time for the sentinel will probably be a couple of weeks.

The City piece design has been finalised and I'll be doing a test print this weekend, please let it go more smoothly than this one....

Special shout out to Jon New for the Sentinel feet idea :)

sentinel1.jpg?raw=1

sentinel2.jpg?raw=1

sentinel3.jpg?raw=1

sentinel4.jpg?raw=1

sentinel5.jpg?raw=1

sentinel6.jpg?raw=1

sentinel7.jpg?raw=1

sentinel8.jpg?raw=1

sentinel9.jpg?raw=1

Edited by Leavon

Beautiful!

I shall be placing my order on Monday morning. That is just sooooooo awesome

Brilliant !

Ordered all 3 just then. Yes I've already ordered the crown but I think I need a frosted one also yeah? Wife needed Xmas present ideas so tick done!