Mansions of Madness Bug Report

By Julia, in Mansions of Madness

SUBJECT: Soft Lock after loading Saved Game

SCENARIO: Cycle of Eternity

VERSION: 1.0.3

SYSTEM: iOS 9.3.4

PLAYERS: 2 (Minh Thi Phan and William Yorick)

DESCRIPTION: After loading a saved game ( saved at the end of investigator turn, around round 6-7) all controls were inoperative except Settings and Lore (lower left corner, where the save game, etc. controls are). The map was dark but still (barely) visible, but appeared to be correct; pinching worked to zoom . Could not end Investigator Phase (or continue the game). Tried restarting app and restarting iPad; no luck.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but...

Does the latest app update actually fix the Innsmouth freezing issue? Notice there are a couple of people still having issues, but really want to give this another play.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but...

Does the latest app update actually fix the Innsmouth freezing issue? Notice there are a couple of people still having issues, but really want to give this another play.

In general it seems to have fixed the issue. The main problem I still see people reporting after the latest update is with loading saved games.

I encountered a Save Game bug while playing Cycle of Eternity on Steam. William Yorick and Min were the investigators. After saving, closing, and reopening, an attack dialogue appeared that was in error.

Version: 1.03

Steam (MacBook)

Cycle of Eternity

Thanks Inmate - I can live with that! When it first crashed for us, I presumed it was because we'd played for about 10 hours without saving!

SUBJECT: Riots not distinguished

SCENARIO: Escape form Innsmouth

VERSION: 1.0.3 (208)

PLAYERS: 3 (Agatha Crane, Minh Thi Phan, William Yorick)

DESCRIPTION: In the late game, the village mob spits into two different riot groups. These are not distinguished from each other in the app via the colour badges like other types of monsters (hybrids, deep ones, etc.)

SUBJECT: Riots not distinguished

SCENARIO: Escape form Innsmouth

VERSION: 1.0.3 (208)

PLAYERS: 3 (Agatha Crane, Minh Thi Phan, William Yorick)

DESCRIPTION: In the late game, the village mob spits into two different riot groups. These are not distinguished from each other in the app via the colour badges like other types of monsters (hybrids, deep ones, etc.)

We saw this as well. One was named Mob, the other Riot, and we were able to track them easily enough. But it did throw me a bit that there was no badge. Perhaps a problem with the names?

Problem 1: Unnecessary and problem causing pan lock because of being applied to a too broad program state.
During the state in which the app instructs placement of tokens, such as doors, walls, interactables, panning is locked. This prohibits the players occasionally to successfully view said items while they are highlighted.

Fix: Instead of applying a pan lock to this whole state, do it just for the substate in which the app auto-pans to the next point of interest. Then release.

Workaround (worse option, but useful): Allow a way to highlight/outline ALL tokens in play. This may add to interface cluttering if presented as a tool icon, so that should probably be avoided in favour of some other ways to interact. They could be highlighted when holding a finger to pan around.

Problem 2: Fidgety button presses, especially on smartphones
Confirm is too close to + and - buttons. Mistaken confirms have happened several times with my playgroup. This is especially the case when using smarphones. The interface layout should reflect and compensate for the medium platform.

A bug occured on tonight's session.

Windows 8.1, 64bit.
Program version 1.0.4
Full screen mode

During the narrated briefing, i alt+tab:ed out to lower the external background music. Alt+tab:ing in again, the continue button was locked. It seems some flag changing there is event triggered and that event didn't happen while being away, but it could also be whatdoiknow. :huh:

Edited by Aelitafrommars

Samsung Tablet - Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1

Android 4.4.2

While running multiple scenarios, using both bluetooth and a direct stereo cable, if there's an interupt outside the app that has sound (alert of some kind - once was weather note, once was a low battery alert - which has happened repeatedly when you're 3 hours in... ) the audio in-game just stops. It doesn't come back after the alert goes away. The only fix I've found is to save, and reboot the tablet and restart the scenario from the same point - the sound comes back.

Edited by JimCrim

Confirm is too close to + and - buttons. Mistaken confirms have happened several times with my playgroup. This is especially the case when using smarphones. The interface layout should reflect and compensate for the medium platform.

I've been suitably impressed with this game, and I think I was lucky to get into it after several patches have been released. But my biggest complaint is that clicking on the screen counts as clicking "Continue" even though I didn't actually click the button. What totally ruined my experience tonight and cut short my playthrough of the fourth scenario only 20 minutes in causing me to rage quit is that I was attempting an influence test talking to Marsh, I rolled 3 successes which I was very excited about and attempted to record that in the app (on Steam/Windows). I missed the plus button by a couple pixels (but I was nowhere near the continue) and it clicked out of the test with a 0, and when I attempted to try again, she was all "Not now". With the game using so much space on the table as is, my laptop ends up being pretty far away, so its not always easy to be accurate. Clicking on the screen itself SHOULD HAVE NO AFFECT AT ALL, if you're not in the border of any of the buttons?

I've been suitably impressed with this game, and I think I was lucky to get into it after several patches have been released. But my biggest complaint is that clicking on the screen counts as clicking "Continue" even though I didn't actually click the button. What totally ruined my experience tonight and cut short my playthrough of the fourth scenario only 20 minutes in causing me to rage quit is that I was attempting an influence test talking to Marsh, I rolled 3 successes which I was very excited about and attempted to record that in the app (on Steam/Windows). I missed the plus button by a couple pixels (but I was nowhere near the continue) and it clicked out of the test with a 0, and when I attempted to try again, she was all "Not now". With the game using so much space on the table as is, my laptop ends up being pretty far away, so its not always easy to be accurate. Clicking on the screen itself SHOULD HAVE NO AFFECT AT ALL, if you're not in the border of any of the buttons?

Just for the clarity for any dev or scenario designer looking through this, there are two separate issues at work here.

One is the following and has conflicting interface schemes:

In some states clicking outside does nothing, like when you enter number of successes. In cases of legend text and just one continue button, it is equal to pressing continue. In some instances (monster management from what i know), it means 'cancel'. It sort of works, but it'd be better if it did nothing during storytelling aswell, as to minimize the window for mistakes that breaks storytelling.

The other is inconcistencies in scenario specific interfacing, and has more to do with how dialogue is scripted case-for-case.

In the first/recommended scenario; you can

retry an influence check with the butler as many times as you'd like to spend action points on

, which leads to the player/s thinking this is how interfacing during dialogues work. While in the fourth scenario this is proven to be quite opposite, which apparently broke neosmaguses' session (edit: in tandem with the fidgety easy-to-miss entry form). Discrepancies like these should be avoided or, if not possible for artistic or story-telling reasons, should come with some kind of sign. This problem was very common in computerized story telling games of the 90's, maybe most notably in Realmz which had different scenario constructors with very different scriping styles and ideals - something that often led to headaches.

Edited by Aelitafrommars

In some states clicking outside does nothing, like when you enter number of successes. In cases of legend text and just one continue button, it is equal to pressing continue. In some instances (monster management from what i know), it means 'cancel'. It sort of works, but it'd be better if it did nothing during storytelling aswell, as to minimize the window for mistakes that breaks storytelling.

Actually when entering number of successes, clicking outside does do something, it selects "Confirm".

The way it seems the prompts are scripted is if there is only a "Confirm" button, clicking outside is the same as confirm. This is fine.

If there are multiple buttons, like "Confirm" and "Cancel", or dialog options, clicking outside does nothing, and this is also fine.

Whats annoying is with tests, the + and - buttons don't seem to count, and it treats it as having only the confirm, so clicking outside submits the test! When it should act like the second situation where it has multiple buttons.

I tested on an iphone and on pc to verify this. I found it's not the same as clicking anywhere outside continue during for example storytelling, where the whole screen effectively acts as one big active click field.

In the case of the test result input, the 'click anywhere to continue' feature is disabled, but the hitboxes seem to be misaligned and larger than the graphic elements, Hence if one clicks between '+' and 'continue', one will likely trig continue. Curiously enough, '-' seemed to take precedence over 'continue', so i guess that condition is checked before. Or i may have managed to hit it just right.

This is fortunately likely to be super easy to fix as it's just a matter of correcting hit box coordinates (or changing the priority in which conditions are checked, but that's bad practice as the underlying problem is just swept under the rug that way and can resurface if they start restructuring stuff). Edit: It's actually not a problem that + and - have slightly larger hit boxes than graphically displayed, but continue shouldn't be that way as it's final. Anything that takes the user elsewhere should be precise.

Edited by Aelitafrommars

Hmm, you're right, just tried it on the Steam version, and it didn't click continue when I clicked outside. But I did find that if I clicked at the bottom edge of the + (but still inside the circle), it triggered the continue, so I must have done something like that. I was pretty sure I'd clicked to the right of the +, not at the bottom edge... So yeah, definitely an alignment issue between the plus and continue.

Edited by neosmagus

It also goes to continue when clicking anywhere between + and continue. It is worse still if one can manage to go to continue while actually clicking within the + element. This could explain why this has happened quite a few times with my playgroup.

A couple of grammar issues in Mythos events (I had to type these out, despite the fact that I have screen shots -- grrr -- BGG next time).
This is from using 1.0.4.

-----

In the Poltergeist mythos event, it currently starts "A chill runs through the building, causing the paintings and curtains to shutter. This mythos event affects the investigator in a hall, office, or study with the highest [influence]."

The text should read "shudder" rather than "shutter".
-----

In the Baffling Voices mythos event, when applied to Minh Thi Phan, it currently reads "Whispered voices drift down the halls. Their chanting becomes louder and louder. Minh Thi Phan covers his ears and starts banging his head against the wall to get the voices out. Minh Thi Phan suffers 1 facedown Damage and 1 Horror ([Will] negates).

The gender is wrong, the text should "genderize" to "her" rather than "his" -- I'd check either the assigned gender for her as an investigator, or maybe there aren't gender tags in the mythos event (hard-coded "his"?)

-- joshua

Edit: fixed typo in my own text from "current" to "currently"

Edited by dulcaoin

In the scenario. When we arrived to the docks after our research for the final showdown. The game spawned all the tiles but nothing else. Then started spawning monsters

I want to start by saying I love this game and app. My first solo play through was really fun. Great work!

Below is my bug/feedback list for my first game with details.

Played on a windows 8.1 laptop with app version 1.0.4(270) from steam.

Investigators chosen are Preston F. and Kate W.

Mission was Cycle of Eternity.

I have all of 1st edition unlocked in the app.

******warning spoilers below*****

Cthonian spawned behind the door (study, top right in pic) but since the door has a wall token on top and the search token the monster is not able to move anywhere when activated. Since I never searched the wall to reveal the door. The app should know not to place it there or should allow the monster to burst past the blocked door. In the picture , he spawned in the very top right space.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B27RgdL0EXQrakRJRGlWOGt1YnM

Next up we got a text box that was worded oddly:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B27RgdL0EXQrSk9XRWh0WlJCaEU

When I got to this part of the quest I had a investigator who could cast a spell to make the team focused. This seems to have the same if not better effect than the Evidence cards had and I felt it should have been better than the focus condition since It was hard to find these Evidence cards. Maybe have them let you re-roll blanks this way its not competing with the focus.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B27RgdL0EXQrc2Q0M3dNc0dLZk0

The master bedroom was never revealed so with this bug I now know where it is, loosing some of the exploration feel. I think the app should know its not revealed and not generate this text.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B27RgdL0EXQrMEUwMGxkdW50eWs

A quick note on the sound, I hook my laptop up to a 7.1 home theater system via hdmi. I'm pretty sure the app is only using stereo but since its got such great effects and ambiance I would love to see it support surround one day.

In the rules reference page 4 it says:

"A door is adjacent to each space for which it is a space edge."

I'm pretty sure there is some kind of typo here as this makes no sense to me.

____

When the app tells you to place a map tile after doing an explore action, you cant zoom or move the view and the Text box can take up most of the view and make it hard to tell where to place things.

I think it should center on the new tile but then allow you to zoom out and move around with that text box still there or make the text box transparent so you can see the map and the spots that get obstructed by it.

Edited by oldtimer

As of 1.0.4:

In the Baffling Voices mythos event, when applied to Minh Thi Phan, it currently reads "Whispered voices drift down the halls. Their chanting becomes louder and louder. Minh Thi Phan covers his ears and starts banging his head against the wall to get the voices out. Minh Thi Phan suffers 1 facedown Damage and 1 Horror ([Will] negates).

The gender is wrong, the text should "genderize" to "her" rather than "his" -- I'd check either the assigned gender for her as an investigator, or maybe there aren't gender tags in the mythos event (hard-coded "his"?)

I played again last night, and I think I realized this bug is different from what I thought.

BUG: Mythos events will display with the proper gender during the game, but when reviewed in the Message Log, will always specify male gender.

NOTE: this occurs after a save/restore cycle. When the messages are "fresh" (before a save), they have the right gender, but after a restore, they will always have male gender.

EDIT: updated to note that a save/restore is necessary to observe the behavior.

Edited by dulcaoin

2 issues that annoyed me today playing on my mobile. Sound notifications completely cut the sound out from the app, and only quitting, and restarting, fixed it. It happened because of a Facebook notification. So I turned off my data to prevent further interruptions, but when my mobile notified me it was at 10% battery, the sound cut out again.

Second is that even with auto rotate off, the app couldn't make up its mind and kept flipping when the phone was lying flat on the table. I had to prop it up, which was annoying. It seemed to prefer the bottom of the phone in my left hand, when I prefer it in the right because the power, volume buttons are on the right and I don't like them pointing down, in case I want to rest the mobile on the table...

There is a major bug during the rising tide finale. I have played through the scenario once on my computer, and "tapped" through on my phone as well, and both times during the finale the unique named NPC monsters spawn as soon as you arrive at the proper location, then you get a turn, then during the next mythos phase the same unique NPCs spawn again, outside the building they spawned in the first time. One of them is even a monster that only has one token.

In 1.1.0, after restoring a saved game, the message log will only show messages from turn 1.

As you continue to play, additional messages will append to the end of older turns, started with turn 2 (so, if you save after turn 3, then restore, turn 4's messages will append to the end of turn 2's, turn 5's messages will append to turn 3, etc. -- and you'll be able to see the messages from turns 2 and 3 as you complete turns 4 and 5). If you save again, the counter resets to 1 on restore, and the message queue becomes further "corrupted".

App version v1.1.1(328)

This puzzle popped up during the "Dearly Departed" scenario. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to connect that Start tile to both End tiles.

14445004_10154560666509568_7260406978306

Edited by TalonMC

Yes, there is one. Your tiles:

1 2 3 4

5 6 7 8

If you go

2 3 1 4

7 6 5 8

the puzzle is solved