Spec/Talent Sheets

By RLogue177, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I have updated my compiled talents spreadsheet and uploaded it. It includes all the new specs and talents from Dawn of Rebellion. I use this when I'm putting together new spec sheets to help insure uniformity and accuracy. On sheet one are the talents with indicators of which specs have them, if they are ranked, and so forth. Sheet two has descriptions that I copy and paste into the spec sheets as I'm building them.

Compiled Talents spreadsheet

You are doing the lord's work!

50 minutes ago, Desslok said:

You are doing the lord's work!

I'm sorry I couldn't resist

@RLogue177

Love your Talent sheets!

Any idea when Fully Operational will get added?

7 hours ago, salamar_dree said:

@RLogue177

Love your Talent sheets!

Any idea when Fully Operational will get added?

FedEx tracking currently has my arrival Monday the 9th, but I feel like it might get here sooner. Regardless, within a day or two of getting my book.

Thanks for your compliment and your patience!

Well, the wait is definitely worth it!

Thank you!

Actually, I have the book already; want me to send you scans of the Talent Trees?

@Machaeus

Was your comment meant for RLogue177 ?

Yeah, sorry; that last question was to @RLogue177

2 hours ago, Machaeus said:

Actually, I have the book already; want me to send you scans of the Talent Trees?

No worries! :)

Hey, @RLogue177 finally sent! Sorry it took so long.

Engineer specs are up. I have to say, I really like the Shipwright spec. I have a player in my group whose background is a former TIE designer. He picked the Engineer career and Mechanic as his first, and so far only, spec. I'm going to give him the option to rebuild his character from scratch if he likes the Shipwright.

Enjoy; I'm happy so many of you find my home made spec sheets usable. As always, if you spot errors, point them out. (I spotted a good typo as I was building Shipwright. Dockyard Expertise was almost saved as Dickyard Expertise, and that's a whole different talent.)

Age of Rebellion specs in green and tan

Age of Rebellion specs in traditional red and blue

Age of Rebellion specs in printer friendly grayscale

And refer to the very first post in this thread for links to other things in my dropbox including the specs for EoE, FnD, Universal specs, and the Force powers.

Edited by RLogue177

Yay! Only 3 more classes to go! Thank you so much for your time and effort!

+infinity bonus xp awarded...

Thank you!

Of course, ever since I got FO, I've been wondering why they created the new talent Creative Design instead of just giving them Inventor.

Seems more appropriate thematically and mechanically.

Just my 2 credits' worth.

11 minutes ago, salamar_dree said:

Of course, ever since I got FO, I've been wondering why they created the new talent Creative Design instead of just giving them Inventor.

That's a good question. They went out of their way to create a new talent when they could have easily just gave the spec three instances of Inventor. And what does it say for older specs who have Inventor and not Creative Design. Should there be a little house-ruled overhauling? These are my rambling thoughts and don't necessarily require debate, although that would be cool too. I'm just ramble-thoughting here...

Creative Design allows you to add Advantages with the caveat that the GM can add some Threats. These don't cancel each other out, and therefore can add some bonuses and some flaws to your crafted item. It's a cool talent, but its only purpose is in crafting. Inventor allows you to add boost dice, or remove setback dice when you craft an item. In crafting, this can potentially add more bonuses or remove some flaws. Inventor can also aid in modifying existing stuff. It's a useful talent because it is good in crafting and modifying.

Shipwright has three instances of Creative Design and, given the sorts of specs remaining, will probably be the only spec that ever has it. (Barring some future universal spec to come out of an era sourcebook.) Inventor has seven instances throughout four different specs: one in Artisan, two in Armorer, two in Scientist, and two in Outlaw Tech. Should any of these specs be altered so they can benefit from Creative Design?

The description for Outlaw Tech indicates that those folks like to modify and tinker with things - nothing about creating and crafting. So I would say no on that one. Scientists are described as being creative and enjoying creating solutions to problems. I think they definitely warrant a rank or two of Creative Design. What do you replace on their spec to have that? Maybe swap out the two instances of Tinkerer it has. There's really noting in the description about a love of modifying stuff; it's all about creating new stuff. Artisans are creators according to their description, lovingly crafting works of art (even though the spec only has one instance of Inventor...). I would drop the two instances of Fine Tuning, as nothing in the description mentions how great Artisans are on ships and vehicles, and add one instance of Creative Design, and either a second instance of Creative Design or a second instance of Inventor. Armorers are more the modifier than the creator in its description. So, even though the armor crafting rules are in that book, I wouldn't change the spec to add any instances of Creative Design.

Then there are other specs like Droid Tech, Cyber Tech, Modder, and Gadgeteer. These might be candidates for Creative Design. Maybe. I can throw Gadgeteer right out, I think. They modify their own gear a lot, but they pursue bounties, not crafting. Cyber Tech is a weird spec for me. It's part "creating cybernetics," part "installing cybernetics" (okay, those two can go together), and part "having cybernetics." To me, it kind of wants to do a lot of things and lacks focus. It has the talent Cyberneticist, which is almost like Inventor - half of it anyway - but I don't see this spec having Creative Design. Droid Tech is all about creating and repairing droids. (Thankfully it's not also about being a droid.) It has the Deft Maker talent, which works much like Cyberneticist, so I can see why Inventor isn't on the spec. It's certainly a crafting spec, as the description makes it out to be, and it would benefit from Creative Design. I would replace the two instances of Hidden Storage with Creative Design. I don't think Hidden Storage really fits. Modder, to me, is a bit redundant next to Outlaw Tech. They both seem to do the same sort of thing, but Modder dabbles in modifying ships a bit and Outlaw Tech doesn't. Its problem is that it needs to do more than just dabble to make it more different. Regardless of that, Modders, by description - and title even - only modify stuff; they don't create. I would not give the spec any ranks of Creative Design.

TL;DR

Creating the new talent Creative Design is an interesting choice for Shipwright instead giving it Inventor, yes. I like the new talent, though. Maybe replace one of the instances of Creative Design with Inventor.

Scientist, Artisan, and Droid Tech are all specs that could benefit thematically from having one or two instances of Creative Design.

2 hours ago, salamar_dree said:

Thank you!

Personally, I think it's an after effect of the constant tinkering with the game. They add new talents for new specs when there are talents out there that would meet the need. While this game is getting seriously bloated, there hasn't been as much power creep and the bloating hasn't threatened to crush the game yet, so we've got that at least.

Another example is introducing ranked talents in Rigger and never having more than 1 rank ever available across 3 lines and over a dozen specs since.

50 minutes ago, Jareth Valar said:

Another example is introducing ranked talents in Rigger and never having more than 1 rank ever available across 3 lines and over a dozen specs since.

That is incredibly frustrating since my Rigger is one of my favorite characters. It's also why I'm hoping v2.0 uses more of a Genesys style talent tree.

I would have made Creative Design non-ranked and put it only at the 15xp slot.

Word it: May apply 1 to 3 adv. (Character's choice), but the GM applies an equal number of Thr. (In place of per rank).

Then replace the 5xp and 20xp of Creative Design with Inventor.

1 hour ago, Ahrimon said:

That is incredibly frustrating since my Rigger is one of my favorite characters. It's also why I'm hoping v2.0 uses more of a Genesys style talent tree.

Fingers crossed for more books like Dawn of Rebellion with a new spec

2 hours ago, salamar_dree said:

Word it: May apply 1 to 3 adv. (Character's choice), but the GM applies an equal number of Thr. (In place of per rank).

I like that. Then if you want to give the talent to other, older specs, you only need think about which one to replace.

12 hours ago, RLogue177 said:

Engineer specs are up. I have to say, I really like the Shipwright spec. I have a player in my group whose background is a former TIE designer. He picked the Engineer career and Mechanic as his first, and so far only, spec. I'm going to give him the option to rebuild his character from scratch if he likes the Shipwright.

Enjoy; I'm happy so many of you find my home made spec sheets usable. As always, if you spot errors, point them out. (I spotted a good typo as I was building Shipwright. Dockyard Expertise was almost saved as Dickyard Expertise, and that's a whole different talent.)

And refer to the very first post in this thread for links to other things in my dropbox including the specs for EoE, FnD, Universal specs, and the Force powers.

Wow a whole yard, someone is certainly well endowed. :P

12 hours ago, RLogue177 said:

I like that. Then if you want to give the talent to other, older specs, you only need think about which one to replace.

14 hours ago, salamar_dree said:

I like the idea of making it a DP flip then the player could assign as many advantage up to their Intelligence then the GM get's to add an equal amount of threat.

Nice! :)

On 4/4/2018 at 11:11 AM, RLogue177 said:

These look good. Is everything in the first post up to date? I'm seeing these for the first time.