Seeds of Heresy (Play-by-Post) INPLAY

By GauntZero, in Adventure: Seeds of Heresy

The viceroy repeats the sign of the Aquila, but it feels a split of a second late to be natural to you.

You can see the others at the table analyzing you, especially the symbols of your house.

As you studied some books before, you are sure that the Governour and his wife are sitting at the head of the table.

There are 2 other guests at the table whose symbols you recognize from one of the books.

> An elderly Lady who wears the symbol of the head of the Agriharvest Sodality

> a ~30 year old man who wears the sign of the Harvester-Prelate

Other than those, most at the table seem to belong to the Kathrinka family.

Teagan follows his companions while noting the moods or expressions of those that look in their direction. He salutes and greets all those taking interest. Using Scrutiny (Per 40 [GM rolls]) to see if any guests regard him and his comrades with obvious or hidden disrespect, disgust, or anger. He does this as passively as possible.

(1 DoS) The elderly Lady seems to observe you with ice cold eyes, calculating and patient. Not to obvious, but also not hidden.

I keep my findings to myself until alone with my companions. I give the proper polite greeting to the elderly woman and show no sign of ill will in return.

Reginald greets those guests he recognizes in the customary manner of the highborn. He bows before the elderly woman and thanks her for the tribute of the sodality and for her service to the emperor. He performs a pious gesture for the representative of the Prelacy and thanks him for his service to the Emperor in sanctifying the tithe of Novabella. He finally turns to the Governor and his wife and thanks him for overseeing the security of Novabella and for his generous speech. Reginald's tone is much friendlier and smooth than the acolytes or sergeant have ever heard from him, and he obviously feels comfortable in this element. Reginald studies the man wearing the symbol of the prelate, paying attention to his seating and using his knowledge of decorum to see whether anything is implied of the mans relationship to the others by how he has been seated and what etiquette he practices.

The Harvester-Prelate, who introduces himself as Manus Barahona, seems to be a man with a strong physique, even though he hides it well under his clothes. He thanks you for your appreciation and assures you to always have been taken care of the correct rites to seed and reap, so the Harvest-Father gives his blessing for the tithe.

The woman, whose name is Overseer Evaine Drachenstein, seems to be a very stern Lady with a character thats hard to read. She wears a thick off-white cloth lined with green trim in the shapes of leaves.

Her reaction towards you is distanced and careful - exact according to official protocoll, but confident and proud in every moment.

The Governeur shakes your hand happily, while his wife stays rather in the background.

He teels you how glad he is to finally get contact to imperial officials again, and how badly he needs a new astropath, since their last one died around 20 years ago. He seems to be open and friendly and his warm welcome seems to come from the heart.

The prelate seems to be the outsider at this table, but you also realize that the Overseer is quite picky on her choice of partners to talk with. The governeur seems to be the one talking most, being an open-minded man who enjoys the dinner.

Over the course of the dinner, Reginald attempts to speak to each of the guests. He first speaks to the governor. Noting that it is typical protocol for astropaths to appoint a replacement, Reginald asks if there is anything he can do to aid the process of having a new astropaths sent in. During this conversation, Reginald inquires about what prevented the original astropath from conpleting forms for a replacement, and asks what documentation he has left over that Reginald could help with. Reginald frames this conversation as an attempt to help the governor acquire a new astropath.

Reginald speaks to Drachenstein carefully, and asks about the current status of the tithe. Reginald asks how the tithe has been preserved during the wait for pickup, or why has been done with older tithes that needed to be replaced. Reginald asks her about her background, inquiring as to her family and their role on the planet. Reginald attempts to use attempts to gain an idea of her interests and her attitude toward the delay. Reginald also seizes on any more personal information that she discusses and inquires further about it.

When Reginald speaks to Barahona, he inquires about the man's family and background, listening for any ties to the previous Prelate. Reginald asks about some of the routine mandated duties of planetary stewards and attempts to gauge how strongly this man adheres to protocol. After the man has gotten a bit more drunk (drinking more at Reginald's encouragement), Reginald mentions that his paperwork specified a different Prelate. Reginald asks if there has been a change in Prelates, and then inquires about the more mundane process of how the change is conducted, so as to not ask too much.

Reginald also makes a point of eating all of the food set before him, lest it go to a lesser. Reginald scowls and looks dismayed if the other acolytes are seated at this table, though he does not say anything. If they are set there, however, Reginald, is likely to need extra to drink.

Teagan will sit quietly, politely, and continue to scrutinize each guest at the table as they carry on conversation with Reginald. He intends to listen in on these conversations in a passive way as to not draw attention to it. Use Scrutiny (Per 40 [GM rolls]) as needed.

Edited by Elior

I see Reginald is quite in his element down at his end of the table, so I shrug and just sit anywhere theres room, and start eating. High ranking political intrigue is not my strong suit.

After I've gotten good an started on my meal, sticking to good meat and recognizable foods, I introduce myself to the people sitting on either side of me, and try to start up a conversation.

"Angevin Rynn, former Stormtrooper in the Imperial Guard, and now Administratum enforcer. It's great to see your world flourishing despite the Imperiums unfortunate absence. And you are...?"

In Reginalds talk with the Governour, the governeur is mentioning, that the Astropaths death came rather...suddenly and was not to be foreseen. He doesnt go into details though as he doesnt wanna "bore you" with it.

Since they had no astropath anymore and around the same time the tithe ships didnt come anymore, they didnt have any chance to cummincate with the Imperium (they dont own any own Space Ships).

The Overseer doesnt reveal much about herself. The only thing you could find out, is, that she has her position since about 40 years and seems to be feared throughout her servants, nobility and the general population alike.

She tells you, that the tithes had been stored accourding to protocol in the correct amount. Not all of the tithes might be useable anymore, but she doesnt accept any discussion about this. Her task is to provide the correct amount and store it until the administratum fetches it up. And thats exactly what she did.

She tried to focus on goods that can be stored for a longer time, but there wasnt more she could do.

The prelate mentiones, that he has become prelate around 2 decades ago, when he was 15 only.

The prelate before him died at a disease that took him out of life way too early.

Usually, the prelate is nominated by the Agriharvest Sodality, but needs to be approved by the Governeur.

The viceroy also talks with you a lot about your mission to collect the tithes and what the lucky circumstances are that brought you here after so many years.

He also encourages you to drink of the good wine.

What do you tell him and who drinks with him ?

I see Reginald is quite in his element down at his end of the table, so I shrug and just sit anywhere theres room, and start eating. High ranking political intrigue is not my strong suit.

After I've gotten good an started on my meal, sticking to good meat and recognizable foods, I introduce myself to the people sitting on either side of me, and try to start up a conversation.

"Angevin Rynn, former Stormtrooper in the Imperial Guard, and now Administratum enforcer. It's great to see your world flourishing despite the Imperiums unfortunate absence. And you are...?"

"...a little busy right now, I am sorry", responds the young noble next to you, before turning himself to Reginald again.

I shrug at the young nobles attitude. I'll let Reginald deal with that fop.

As the Viceroy praises the wine I glance at it, a little wary, but shrug and pour myself a goblet from the decanter he drank from.
I take a slow sip and let it roll around on my tongue.
Yuck, typical noble swill. I wipe my tongue on a napkin, and grab the salt shaker and dump a good portion into the wine when no one is looking.
Much better.

So I eat some more, and try my luck with the person on the other side.

"I don't think we've been introduced, Mr/Mrs...?"

Edited by Felenis

The Lady at the other side stares at you with open eyes. She must have seen you dumping salt into the wine.

She stands up and excuses herself.

I mumble under my breath.
"Get used to it lady, it's a big galaxy"

I'll slurp back that goblet to make the nobles happy, but after that I go back to water.

And when I'm done that, I just sit there rigid and contemplate the roof.
Does the general atmosphere of the feast ever settle down into a casual evening, or is it formal the whole way through?

Edited by Felenis

Teagan notices the exchange between Angevin and the lady that excused herself. He looks at Angevin and gives him an amused half smile before going back to his other observations.

The viceroy also talks with you a lot about your mission to collect the tithes and what the lucky circumstances are that brought you here after so many years.

Reginald agrees to drink with the Viceroy, although he engages the Viceroy in a typical toast of trust typically used in noble circles, in which the drinkers each clink their glasses together and pour some of their wine into each other's glass. After toasting in this way, Reginald finishes his glass, although he refuses another.

Reginald discusses the basic story of his tithe ship being delayed by warp storms, and "let's slip" that he is very interested in bringing an excellent harvest to his superiors, so as to make up for the delay of his ship. He promises the viceroy that any aid he may gain in this will be returned in kind. Reginald uses this discussion to request that he be able to help oversee the tithe and to current state, and asks the Viceroy if there is anything he may be able to add to the value of this mission.

I mumble under my breath.

"Get used to it lady, it's a big galaxy"

I'll slurp back that goblet to make the nobles happy, but after that I go back to water.

And when I'm done that, I just sit there rigid and contemplate the roof.

Does the general atmosphere of the feast ever settle down into a casual evening, or is it formal the whole way through?

I am afraid the whole dinner is rather a formal event. ;D

Reginald agrees to drink with the Viceroy, although he engages the Viceroy in a typical toast of trust typically used in noble circles, in which the drinkers each clink their glasses together and pour some of their wine into each other's glass. After toasting in this way, Reginald finishes his glass, although he refuses another.

Reginald discusses the basic story of his tithe ship being delayed by warp storms, and "let's slip" that he is very interested in bringing an excellent harvest to his superiors, so as to make up for the delay of his ship. He promises the viceroy that any aid he may gain in this will be returned in kind. Reginald uses this discussion to request that he be able to help oversee the tithe and to current state, and asks the Viceroy if there is anything he may be able to add to the value of this mission.

The viceroy seems to try to convince you that they already maxed out their output to create the full tithe.

If you could be helpful to get support from the Mechanicus, many of the old machines could be maintained and repaired to increase the output.

He also asks you where the tithes will be headed.

Reginald informs him that the tithe is going to be used as part of the creation of a new series of regiments for the Emperor's great army. He don't specifically mention the fake penal legion on the orbiting ship's charter, but that is the intended new "regiment ".

Reginald says that his training at the Adminstratum have him some ability and authority in the understanding of machines, although he smiles and assures the viceroy that his ability is only at the lowest levels of understanding. Reginald says that he may be able to assess the existing machines being used on the planet in order to provide a report to the Mechanicus. He offers to do so for the viceroy.

The viceroy seems sceptical about your offer. He would prefer to get a mechanicus adept on Novabella as soon as possible. He doesnt think such work would be suitable for a man of your position. He wouldnt want to insult his guest, so he can by no way accept this offer.

Reginald nods and assures the viceroy that he is capable of creating the report, but that he does not wish to place the viceroy in any uncomfortable position. Reginald apologizes for his exuberance being mistaken for impertinence, as he merely wished to increase efficiency. Reginald says that he would be happy to deliver any existing reports to the mechanicus, or to speak to any representatives currently on-planet.

The viceroy thanks you and excuses himself, as important business seems to long for his awareness.

The remaining dinner runs out during the next hour and soon you are guided back to your rooms to spend the night there.

I check my belongings, and see if the hair has been disturbed. Then jump into bed with a pistol under the pillow for a good nights sleep.

Camyll feels like in safe refuge when in his bedroom. Noble's feasts and false gestures are not made for him. Takes a look around, looking for some not-so-discrete hearings, but doesn't care enough for a deep search, reading an hour or two about the planet before falling asleep.

I check my belongings, and see if the hair has been disturbed. Then jump into bed with a pistol under the pillow for a good nights sleep.

The hair fell to the ground

All of you who drank from the wine experience a state of being severely drunk and tired, if they do not pass a Toughness(+0) test.

In this case you receive fatigue accourding to your DoF.

From your experience with wine in general - this is unusual.