Seeds of Heresy (Play-by-Post) INPLAY

By GauntZero, in Adventure: Seeds of Heresy

As the viceroy appraoches you, he shows the sign of the aquila, before he starts speaking:

"Welcome on Novabella, dear Adepts of the administratum. A long time has passed since we last had the honour to give our tithe for the imperium, and be assured, even though in the past we didnt get any visit from your department, we are not unprepared to give our share. I am glad that the Harvest Father finally guided your face towards our planet. While my assistants will check your forms and identifications, I will let my servants bring you into your quarters. We will provide you with listings of the goods we have in store in all detail before the sun sets down, so there will be no delay in your work. I will add a handfull requests of Novabella to the listings, which I am sure you will forward to the correct departments."

He takes the documents from Reginald and calls over the Sergeant to bring you to your quarters.

"If you have any more questions, Sergeant William Crouze will be close to answer them.

Before he came into military service, he worked quite some time at the Sodality, and should be able to answer most of your questions.

Tonight there will be a banquet for your honours - if you need anything to prepare for it, please also let it know to the Sergeant."

He turns around to leave, already starting to study the documents, like a man whose time is severely limited.

Edited by GauntZero

I talk to Sergeant Crouze.
"If you don't mind, could I request to bunk in with the PDF? I'm merely an ex-Imperial Guardsman brought on for security, and a barrack is just where I feel more at home. Maybe we can swap a few soldier stories."

And if I get a chance to speak to the others alone

"I'll make it my business to see if I can dig up anything from the PDF. If there have been any major events, they are sure to have some inkling of it. Plus it's my element. I'm not the best at your bureaucratic intrigue investigations"

Edited by Felenis

"I am afraid, the Viceroy insist of you all being his special guests...you have to understand...it is kind of underlining his status..."

After the Viceroy speaks, Reginald thanks him for his gracious hospitality and hands him an additional report. It is a document outlining the performance of the sergeant stating that it was "above acceptable". Reginald tells the Viceroy that the document is in recognition of the sergeant and that all due protocol has been followed for this evaluation.

Before the Viceroy has completely turned away Reginald announces that he wishes to dine, as per Imperial Sustenance Regulations. Reginald states that he is of the Grimstone family, and shows the broken saber carrying his family crest. He says that per his duty he will need to dine with others of his station, lest he bring shame upon Imperial society. Reginald looks expectantly at the Viceroy.

The viceroy assures that Reginald will be placed according to his standards. He shall be placed at the table of the Kathrinka families highest members.

He says, that Sergeant Crouze, who also is a cousin of 2nd degree to him, will certainly get what he deserves for his good services.

Edited by GauntZero

I head off to the quarters prepared for us, and find something nicer to wear.

"Reginald, whats Protocol on weaponry at the Noble table? Would a Laspistol and Sword be out of place?"

While they're being directed to the quarters, Camyll takes some time for a few questions.

"Excuse me, Sergeant. Could I find some interesting lectures from now until the dinner time? I'm specially interested in local customs and society" - Smiles-. "It's unpardonable being a host on your table and have as little knowledge about your planet as I have."

"Sure there will be representatives of the Strictionists and the Sodality, amon others, and I don't want to feel like an uneducated brute. I'd also have a shower, If there's no problem with it."

"Of course, Mylord, I will let some books be delivered to your room in short notice."

Sergeant William Crouze leads you into the 3rd floor of the huge building complex, where he leads you through a maze of corridors. Finally you arrive at 4 rooms, one for each of you.

"If you have any more wishes or questions, I am at your service. You can ask me now or call me with this vox", he hands you over a small military vox caster.

Edited by GauntZero

"Mind if I take this? I've got experience with soldiers."

And on a similar note, I take our other Vox, along with my belongings and stack them neatly in the closet. And I'll pull out one of my hairs and place it on the pile, where it isn't visible without searching

Reginald turns to Angevin.

"On my home planet, we never dined without blade, lest our lessers find weakness to take advantage of. Of course, other arms are seen as a terrible faux pas."

Reginald hands Angevin another form and tells him that it is for recording the journey made from the terminal. Reginald points to a line of information stating what he learned from the sergeant during the ride, and tells Angevin to fill out his part on a blank space below it.

Reginald also asks the sergeant if there is a terminal through which he can access any information on his datapad.

Teagan turns to his comrades when given a moment of privacy and says, "Just a loose theory but the soldier I spoke to in the transport vehicle asked if the Imperium had forgotten Novabella. While this question isn't overtly suspicious, I could only ponder if the Nobility would use this as a reason to turn to heresy and then slip it under the noses of their people. Exactly how long has it been since the Imperium has collected a tithe from Novabella?"

Edited by Elior

"The records show nearly 2 decades, I believe. 20 years is a long time for anyone. A whole generation has grown up without feeling the embrace of the Imperium. I would not be overly surprised if the Governor has turned. It happens even on regular worlds of the Imperium, as shocking as that may sound to you. The fact that he has kept the tithe all this time is admirable however. A less Governor might be inclined to cease production until the return of his superiors. The well equip PDF forces are also a bit of a mystery."

Reginald turns to Angevin.

"On my home planet, we never dined without blade, lest our lessers find weakness to take advantage of. Of course, other arms are seen as a terrible faux pas."

Reginald hands Angevin another form and tells him that it is for recording the journey made from the terminal. Reginald points to a line of information stating what he learned from the sergeant during the ride, and tells Angevin to fill out his part on a blank space below it.

Reginald also asks the sergeant if there is a terminal through which he can access any information on his datapad.

"I am afraid - this kind of sophisticated technology was last known to have worked about 10 years ago, when our Techpriest Aramus was still alive. Since he died, maintainance of most technological wonders we had was not possible anymore."

Camyll speaks quietly to Rynn and Teagan.

"There are Imperial representatives in every planet of the Imperium. Are you telling me there is NOBODY here? All of them died or disappeared in 20 years? Even all the Tech-priests of the entire planet? That doesn't sound right, you need a huge cuantity of Imperial officers to support a planet like this one, don't you?"

"The Governor and his office IS the Imperial representative, Camyll. I believe that Novabella's youth, good behaviour, and low population also led to very little interest. I don't think there was even an Arbitres presence stationed on the world. And they only needed one Coghead to keep all the cogitators running. Everything else the populace can likely handle"

As Reginald is walking to his room, he overhears the discussion.

"It does not matter how long the planet was lost. All that matters is that you perform your duty now!"

Reginald scowls angrily. He sarcastically hisses under his breath, "And please, feel free to have these conversations in places in which we may be recorded." Reginald glares at the other Acolytes.

After dressing in a uniform and buckling on my sword and pistol I ask the others if we should head on down to the event

Camyll spends the time remaining after the reprimand taking a quick shower and trying to adquire some superficial knowledge about the public intimacies of the world's society. At least enough for not to fail at naming the several power groups for sure are going to be at the dinner.

When Rynn knocks to the door, Camyll just finished to dess in, wearing his las pistol unloaded at one side, and a standard battery at the other side of his bwelt.

Edited by Eisenhorn_Puritus

Edited by Eisenhorn_Puritus

We head down once we are all ready

Ready to head down after dressing formally for the feast.

The sun sets as Sergeant Crouze returns to fetch you for the dinner.

He seems a little nervous - like a man who is not used to spend that much of his time with the high nobility.

He brings you into a huge dining hall, where classical music is played by a small orchestra.

A lot of people already took their seats at the large tables that are placed everywhere throughout the hall - you estimate between 100 and 150 at least. As you look at their clothes, you start to feel underdressed (all of you but Reginald).

The main table seems to be at the backside of the hall - the Viceroy stands there with some other nobles, giving you a gesture to come to the table as soon as he sees you.

Camyll walks confident following his companions, saluting politely with his head to anyone he sees looking at him specially interested. Knowing it would be educated to let Reginald start the talk, lets him space and time to do his mannerisms with the Viceroy before starting to thank him and his colleages because of the dinner.

Reginald proudly walks to the table of the Viceroy. He notes the attire and heraldry of the assembled guests as he walks forward. The other acolytes get the distinct sense that he is ignoring them as he walks forward, paying his full attention to decorum and etiquette of the situation. Reginald walks to the viceroy and makes the traditional sign of the Aquila, waiting for the viceroy to do the same. His manner is relaxed, and although he is dressed in finery, he still has his chainsword visibly strapped to him on one side, and the broken sabre of his family crest on the other.

Teagan follows his companions while noting the moods or expressions of those that look in their direction. He salutes and greets all those taking interest. Using Scrutiny (Per 40 [GM rolls]) to see if any guests regard him and his comrades with obvious or hidden disrespect, disgust, or anger. He does this as passively as possible.

Edited by Elior