Available Soon

By kaosoe, in General Discussion

They had the perfect time to launch and that was before GenCon. A new iPhone got announced today, GTA V comes out soon, and that's just a couple of things. August was the best time to throw this beta out and the screwed it.

Agreed except for me the next shiny new thing might be either Saints IV or Disney Infinity and I think the lure of playing either Captain Jack Sparrow, Sully or Mr Incredible is winning out especially as I have a 6 year old nephew and the fact Disney Infinity is actually available to buy now!

Oh crap - I'd forgotten about Saints Row IV. Plus GTAV comes out in a week, doesnt it. Man, the Beta is gonna get buried on my "excited about" list real soon. . . .

Yeah... I know what you mean. I was super excited and pumped for this Beta and while I am still wanting it... this delay has caused my excitement to dwindle pretty hard and now I am looking ahead to Watchdogs and Assassin's Creed IV and upcoming Legend of the Five Rings rpg books.

FFG dropped the ball on this.

... That's no ball :D

Perhaps they are waiting on the materials for season kit.

Perhaps, but I don't think they should have released it at GenCon if it wasn't available for the rest of us to order and get copies of. I hope they are realizing they made a mistake on how they have handled it this year.

It's a space station...?

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Perhaps, but I don't think they should have released it at GenCon if it wasn't available for the rest of us to order and get copies of. I hope they are realizing they made a mistake on how they have handled it this year.

Seeing as how GenCon is, has been, and will continue to be one of the biggest sale dates in the gaming industry (on par with Black Friday for many U.S. retail chains), they'd have been colossal idiots to have not sold copies of the book at GenCon.

It's been a long-standing tradition by almost every big-press game company to sell "advance copies" of a book at GenCon, even if said book won't be available to the masses for another several weeks. The fact that they can sell those books at full sticker price without having to go through a distributor and a retailer (both of which eat into the profits of a book) means that companies can reap a lot more dollars for their product than they could through the normal distribution channels. Every business that is a "for profit" organization is going to pounce on a chance to sell a product at the sticker price and get to keep the majority of the revenue for themselves.

As I've said in another thread, I'm thinking something threw a wrench in the works in regards to why the AoR Beta isn't available for purchase on the webstore. Yes, I do have my own copy, but I've also got a couple gamer friends that would like copies of their own, so I do understand the frustration of not being able to buy it. There could be any number of legitimate reasons that the AoR Beta isn't for sale on the website, many of which are factors beyond FFG's ability to control.

However, not every company is as open and transparent about their inner workings as Fred Hicks is about Evil Hat (the company that makes FATE), and in fact a lot of them are pretty tight-lipped when it comes to internal issues. I've worked in companies that outright said "if you talk to the media about Topic X, consider your employment here to be terminated," which is a worrisome thing if the company's employment contract includes a "employment can be terminated at-will" clause.

Also, could be that the FFG legal and/or marketing departments have issued a directive to not address the issue in a public forum. Right now, the issue is fairly small and contained from a legal/marketing perspective. But if FFG were to make a public statement, in today's world of social media, that statement could very easily be twisted to say something entirely different than what was meant. So in that light, sometimes it's better to say nothing at all, as frustrating as that might be.

From what Andy had to say during his guest appearance on the recent Order 66 podcast, he sounds to be chomping at the bit to hear what folks have to say about the AoR Beta, good or bad, and is likely just as upset that his "baby" (seeing as how he's the lead designer) hasn't made it out to a broader audience.

But, if taking a rational view of the matter instead of leaping on the "FFG is trying to screw us little folk over!" bandwagon makes me an FFG apologist, then so be it.

mah... I had wishes that I would have this for my 30th on Wednesday, but it seems I can't even order it before then either... :ph34r: what should I be reading on my birthday now?!

No book for you! Happy birthday btw :D .

Whatever you do, don't read a newspaper. That s--- is far too depressing for a birthday.

NOW, back to AoR not being available and so on ...

So nothing new then.

I know its not intentional, and they mean nothing bad, but did it really seem like "Thank you for picking up a copy of the Star Wars®: Age of Rebellion™ beta at Gen Con and getting the conversation started on the forums!" was the best way to start a post when the biggest issue right now is that almost everyone is waiting on the book?

Actually, this doesn't say anything really. I mean, its a nonpost. Its nice that someone said something but it really didn't say anything. It was an excellent politicians post.

(I'm not blaming anyone. I work in marketing, sometimes its best not to say much, and sometimes you can't say what you want to say because of unrelated reasons or company policies, and other silly things, but it would be nice to actually receive some actual information)

(I'm not blaming anyone. I work in marketing, sometimes its best not to say much, and sometimes you can't say what you want to say because of unrelated reasons or company policies, and other silly things, but it would be nice to actually receive some actual information)

Hear, hear.

I think it's because they don't have the answers to our questions. They don't know when stores will have it. And they aren't opening pre-orders on their site either. I have to wonder why they are struggling so much with running out when there is so much demand for their product they could take pre-orders and get all the revenue they need to get more printed.

I think it's because they don't have the answers to our questions. They don't know when stores will have it. And they aren't opening pre-orders on their site either. I have to wonder why they are struggling so much with running out when there is so much demand for their product they could take pre-orders and get all the revenue they need to get more printed.

It's not a demand thing, they haven't taken any pre-orders so they only have their EotE sales to base demand on. I imagine they are having issues with their supply chain or logistics in getting the stuff to the US and EU distributors or a massive problem with their production/project management for the printing of the beta book.

I wonder how they're gauging interest without taking pre-orders?

I'm also wondering how well the edge of the empire beta did in comparison?

Well some news is better than no news...

I don't think they are trying to gauge interest. It is a limited print run so I think they expect to sell whatever they have.

I wonder how they're gauging interest without taking pre-orders?

I'm also wondering how well the edge of the empire beta did in comparison?

Well some news is better than no news...

The EotE Beta book sold out a couple weeks after Gen Con. But that was including online sales as well as FLGS sales.

Here's hoping I can find one at a booth in Montreal but I'm not that hopeful (anyone with some likely sold them since GenCon).

Heard from my friendly local shop in Canada. The distributor has it on backorder but when the link is clicked there is nothing but a bad link. Seems to be a larger issue at work. Perhaps some crustaceans are piloting our x-wings.

Maybe someone didn't get the shields down in time :|

I would've thought we could get some reading shields up or down

excessive_quotation.png

Any news when the book comes out.

Not that I am aware of. My local stores have no info. :/

By coincidence and bad schedule clashes my first session of a campaign has been pushed back to Oct 7, I really really hope to have a book available for character creation.