Available Soon

By kaosoe, in General Discussion

I have to admit, I was seriously contemplating on purchasing the AoR Beta.

I'm thankful for FFG's delay (for whatever reason & I'm certain they have a

legit reason). None the less, as I said, I was contemplating.

For Porkin's sakes, it's "Beta" not a "Final" product. Must realize, since it is

Beta, the final could be so different and on many levels and aspects. Changes

are bound to happen.

I then told myself.. it's all about prestige! and yes, braggart rights, as well!!!

Release the Rancor already! I still want the Beta... so much for trying to talk

me out of buying it, eh!? lol

The status for the beta book recently changed to "Available Soon"

My body is ready.

5b6.gif

LOL! What is this from?

Also I'm really excited to pick up the beta book, as Dono posted on thegamernation, it's a great way to get a copy of the rules (almost the exact same as Edge) for less. (just missing the Edge specific stuff)

I'd actually dig it if after the whole series is said and done they'd make a cheapo book that just has the basic player building stuffs. Maybe ~$20 with just character creation and the careers (and spiral bound?!). While I love the fancy-ness of the big core books, I also really like being able to stuff my entire RPG kit in my backpack- with as little weight as possible.

Speaking of, can anyone comment on the heftiness of the book? I'm thinking of getting it spiral bound - if i can find a place that does it nicely enough :/

Speaking of, can anyone comment on the heftiness of the book? I'm thinking of getting it spiral bound - if i can find a place that does it nicely enough :/

The AOR beta book is about the same size and weight as the EOTE beta book. Not sure how you'd spiral bind it unless you tore it apart. The binding on it seems to be holding together pretty well so far and I've been digging into it a lot.

Edited by Ineti

Well, my Edge of the Empire Beta book did start losing pages. Was not very happy about it, but figured it was only meant to be a stop gap. Hopefully if I can get the Age of Rebellion Beta (sole distributor in Canada doesn't seem to know about it) it will be bound better.

Just watched the GenCon FFG Flight Report on YouTube. That was on Friday, August 16, and they said beta would be available for retail in 7-10 days. So that would put release date between August 23 and 26 if they stay on schedule. Also the fact they list release as Q3 instead of September implies it will be released prior to the end of the month. Hopefully that means that by next Monday it should be out.

Currently a small group of players are inside the gamestore playing the game, while the vast majority are outside with their faces pressed against the windows watching forlornly from the snowy street, with no idea when they'll be let in out of the cold.

Going for high drama much? There are greater inequalities in life than having to wait two more weeks to get a luxury item.

Words right outta my mouth. I don't get the want-rage. I mean, I want, but I'm happy the game exists and more is coming.

Currently a small group of players are inside the gamestore playing the game, while the vast majority are outside with their faces pressed against the windows watching forlornly from the snowy street, with no idea when they'll be let in out of the cold.

Going for high drama much? There are greater inequalities in life than having to wait two more weeks to get a luxury item.

Words right outta my mouth. I don't get the want-rage. I mean, I want, but I'm happy the game exists and more is coming.

Oh it's a total first world problem. On the list of stressors in my life, this doesn't even make the chart. Truth be told, I'm not even buying the book. I was just trying to make a humorous and overdramatic scenario. I like drama.

So much for my prediction based on the GenCon presentation!

So i guess, since I didn't go to Gencon I cannot be a part of the Beta testing.

Some people have jobs that didn't let them get time off to make a pilgrimage to gencon. it was a lot easier for me when it was in Milwaukee, but NOOOOOO. Gencon got to big for Milwaukee, and had to move.

heck, i am closer to Minneapolis now, might stomp over there and cause a "disturbance in the force" over at FFG (KIDDING!)

Being tempted by the darkside and it's quicker and easier path is starting to get to me. Going to have some warm blue milk to calm me down

Where did you get that impression? They're releasing the Beta for general retail.

Where did you get that impression? They're releasing the Beta for general retail.

I don't see it for sale yet

I don't believe that it is in FF's best interest to delay selling AoR. My guess is that they got the book together at the last minute, got a bunch of copies printed in China and flown in on a plane for Gencon (at $$$) and the rest of the print run is coming in on a boat. From my understanding is that the SOLD OUT in Gencon, so obviously there supply was very limited. They are in business to sell books, they are not in business to NOT sell books.

If that scenario is true, they took a hit on profit in order to get the book out in time to get Gencon hype. This isn't a move calculated to punish/reward anybody...it is just the byproduct of this particular situation.

I don't see it for sale yet

I think the issue some people are worried about is getting enough playtime in to actually test, either in or alongside their new EotE games, before November.

I s'pose if I were honest, the chance to help beta test, while really cool, is a little less cool than being able to see new specs, new ships, etc., before they are officially released.

If I were being honest...

I s'pose if I were honest, the chance to help beta test, while really cool, is a little less cool than being able to see new specs, new ships, etc., before they are officially released.

I have zero interest in beta testing or providing feedback on AoR. I want my book for new specs, talents, ships, adversaries, etc.

I have zero interest in beta testing or providing feedback on AoR. I want my book for new specs, talents, ships, adversaries, etc.

In which case you should wait for the full book, because if you aren't going to beta test, that's one book wasted that someone else who was willing to beta test could have bought.

In which case you should wait for the full book, because if you aren't going to beta test, that's one book wasted that someone else who was willing to beta test could have bought.

Oh well. If you want one then order as soon as they are avaialble. I had no problem ordering the EotE beta last year.

Oh well. If you want one then order as soon as they are avaialble. I had no problem ordering the EotE beta last year.

The least you could do is giving a little feedback, you know? Not to offend you or anything, but by your purchase maybe one less actual tester gets to feedback his or her's impression on the game...

If I see something that looks wrong to me I may send in some feedback but I really doubt I am going to find something a more thorough play tester will miss. And no, I am not offended.

If I see something that looks wrong to me I may send in some feedback but I really doubt I am going to find something a more thorough play tester will miss. And no, I am not offended.

There's also the possibility that a good chunk of that new material (particularly talent tree arrangements and bonus career skills) will change quite a bit between the Beta and the final core rulebook, so it's your call if you want to spend 30 bucks on something that's largely reprinted material from EotE with some new stuff that may be totally obsolete by this time next year.

I don't mind paying for the Beta rulebooks and then the core rulebooks later, as I enjoy watching the changes and evolution of a game from roots to finished product. Heck, I've got about zero interest in D&D at this point, and I've been keeping tabs on the playtest changes (enough to gather that at this point, WotC is relying on the Spaghetti Approach to see what sticks rather than having an actual vision for where the next edition of D&D is going to go).

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

I don't mind the changes. It is expected with a beta.

I would have paid $30 for it but a friend is giving it to me as a gift so it isn't costing me a thing. I just wish she would send it to me already. :)

Hope it comes out by the end of August.

Well, even if you buy the book and give 0 feedback or comments to FFG, you are still giving them 30 bucks. I mean, that definitely helps in its own way :P

Look here is my gripe. (Yes it is a first world problem)

I am in Melbourne Australia. We got 0 copies of EOE beta in my FLGS or any other I could find.

I am wanting to participate in the Beta.

For EoE and AoR but I am not able to because I am not able to get a copy. I have played Star Wars and want to run a game using Duty Mechanic and provide feedback so I can make the game better.

However if it becomes instantly unavailable then I don't know how valuable the beta will be if it is only availible to those lucky enough to get a copy from Gen Con or before it sells out.

Please FFG provide enough to meet demand so that I can feel part of the community and participate

Thank you

I seem to be the only one not bothered by this. They sold a few copies at a special event.

So...?

You know what *is* a first world problem. FFG have time to hire a full time head cook but can't get (pre)orders going for AoR Beta :P :D :)