Available Soon

By kaosoe, in General Discussion

This ridiculous! The people at Gencin got it first; I'm fine with that. But that it's still not released? Utter BS...

[DELETED DUE TO DOUBLE POST]

Edited by kaosoe

I've seen that they have it and I don't mean any disrespect to them, I am sure they are a nice company and all but I've bought stuff from online sites that take orders for stuff that isn't available any other means and ... let's just say I never received what I paid for. So if no one else can get it, and it isn't some super obscure/out of print type thing, then I take the one place that says they have it for sale with a grain of salt.

I've seen that they have it and I don't mean any disrespect to them, I am sure they are a nice company and all but I've bought stuff from online sites that take orders for stuff that isn't available any other means and ... let's just say I never received what I paid for. So if no one else can get it, and it isn't some super obscure/out of print type thing, then I take the one place that says they have it for sale with a grain of salt.

Well, with Miniature Market, they're taking pre-orders, much as they did for the EotE core rulebook before it was released and with the recent Beyond the Rim adventure module. They've also got a really good track record in comparison to other online retailers (Barnes & Nobles and Amazon being somewhat notorious when it comes to getting RPG products in anything resembling a sensible time frame).

Well, with Miniature Market, they're taking pre-orders, much as they did for the EotE core rulebook before it was released and with the recent Beyond the Rim adventure module. They've also got a really good track record in comparison to other online retailers (Barnes & Nobles and Amazon being somewhat notorious when it comes to getting RPG products in anything resembling a sensible time frame).

After my FLGS decided not to call me about my special ordered "Beyond the Rim" arriving, I am trying Miniature Market for the first time with the explorer guide. I still feel dirty about not supporting my local store, but this makes the third time they have dropped the ball on a special order.

I have heard good things on here about MM, so I am hopeful. Maybe you guys will make a believer out of me with online retailers.

At this point though, I think I may skip the AoR beta and wait for the core rules. It sounds great, but I am tired of waiting and checking every day to see if I can purchase a book that was already released at Gencon. I have to say that still bugs me. Meh, I am enjoying the EotE core rules, and I can make up whatever I don't have until they decide to actually sell the darn thing.

FFG just announced on Facebook that the AoR Beta is now available at their game center, maybe it will be available online tomorrow.

I've preordered things from Miniature Market before and have gotten everything I have ever ordered. I highly recommend them.

I still feel dirty about not supporting my local store, but this makes the third time they have dropped the ball on a special order.

Don't feel too bad. You're still supporting Miniature Market, which happens to be my FLGS. I've never had an issue with them at all, and I've been a customer for around six years.

Edited by Yoshiyahu

I still feel dirty about not supporting my local store, but this makes the third time they have dropped the ball on a special order.

Don't feel too bad. You're still supporting Miniature Market, which happens to be my FLGS. I've never had an issue with them at all, and I've been a customer for around six years.

That makes me feel a bit better. Thank you. :)

So did the rounds today and one of my FLGS' was told they will receive *1* of the demo kits (4 copies of the books, pre-made adventures, etc) and 0 books for retail sale, they have asked for more but haven't heard back. And no idea when the material will arrive.

FFG just announced on Facebook that the AoR Beta is now available at their game center, maybe it will be available online tomorrow.

I haven't seen this on their facebook page, can you tell me where you saw this

E

I haven't seen this on their facebook page, can you tell me where you saw this

E

Original post (22 hours ago)
and new post (about 2 hours ago)
Edited by R00kie

Thanks for that, hopefully later today then.

:)

Now over a month on from GenCon.

I wonder if the ship sank?

Either that or it was hijacked before leaving China by Chinese gamers who wanted to get their hands on a fantastic game?

As someone who has dealt with the vagaries of international shipping professionally in the past, it doesn't surprise me that we occasionally have to wait while a shipment is delayed.

It surprises me that they get it right most of the time!

Seriously, when your freight is one container amongst thousands, it boggles the mind how many things can cause delays.

That's why those few boxes that were airfreighted to GenCon were so special!

Either that or it was hijacked before leaving China by Chinese gamers who wanted to get their hands on a fantastic game?

You know, as frustrating as it may be for us, I'll bet you diamonds to doughnuts that it's a thousand times more frustrating for FFG. While I don't have any insider knowledge about the upcoming product schedule, I'm going to guess that "Delay the AoR beta an entire month" was pretty far down on the list of things to do.

You know, as frustrating as it may be for us, I'll bet you diamonds to doughnuts that it's a thousand times more frustrating for FFG. While I don't have any insider knowledge about the upcoming product schedule, I'm going to guess that "Delay the AoR beta an entire month" was pretty far down on the list of things to do.

Don't joke. I actually had a shipment of auto parts I was awaiting from Japan on a boat hit a storm and sink.

Your bringing my conspiracy mojo down! Imperial agents have a hand in this, I am sure of it. They want nobody to test whether it should be knowledge (warfare) or knowledge (galactic conflict). Boy are they good!

This is quite frustrating.

No conspiracy but I hope FFG's business division is pulling out the interrogation droids with their suppliers. As delay-prone as international shipping can be, a contract is a contract and if you can't deliver the product as requested in a timely fashion then there are consequences and decisions to be made (a kickstarter I backed hit the same problem going with a foreign printer for their product and they delayed and eventually did a bad job of it, the whole contract was voided and at cost to the KS organizer a new printing deal with a continental printer had to be found).

Sometimes going cheap will bite you in the end.

Bet the inability to distribute pdf's as a work-around really cheeses off the FFG staff as well. It would probably be worth a call to the big mouse as a sort of Hail Mary option if things continue to drag out and the slippage in the beta testing starts to rub against final publishing deadlines.

No conspiracy but I hope FFG's business division is pulling out the interrogation droids with their suppliers. As delay-prone as international shipping can be, a contract is a contract and if you can't deliver the product as requested in a timely fashion then there are consequences and decisions to be made (a kickstarter I backed hit the same problem going with a foreign printer for their product and they delayed and eventually did a bad job of it, the whole contract was voided and at cost to the KS organizer a new printing deal with a continental printer had to be found).

Sometimes going cheap will bite you in the end.

Bet the inability to distribute pdf's as a work-around really cheeses off the FFG staff as well. It would probably be worth a call to the big mouse as a sort of Hail Mary option if things continue to drag out and the slippage in the beta testing starts to rub against final publishing deadlines.

You only get what you pay for (or less), and TANSTAAFL.

Edited by FangGrip

Just a thought on timelines.

If the beta book arrives at our doorsteps on Oct 4th (10 days from now), that is a six week beta. Correct?

Is that enough time for effective feedback? I am 50/50 on that since the core rules are done, or I think they are (assuming no major core changes on AoR)

If it is mid Oct would you respond the same?

I understand some have the book. It also might not require the level of beta testing as EotE. So you could justify a shorter test window.

Thoughts?

Me, I will try to get the book regardless. I am running a game that could use the info, but I would also enjoy seeing if feedback is taken into account. Example is the xwing vs ywing stat thread.

Oh, and I wonder if the release will be Q2. EotE was until a unknown delay.

Just a thought on timelines.

If the beta book arrives at our doorsteps on Oct 4th (10 days from now), that is a six week beta. Correct?

Is that enough time for effective feedback? I am 50/50 on that since the core rules are done, or I think they are (assuming no major core changes on AoR)

FFG have already stated that the Beta testing is only for small tweaks tot he system to double check everything.

There will be no major changes made to the AoR rules to ensure that they are entirely compatible with EotE and F&D.

This isn't like EotE or The WH40K Second Edition beta test happening at the moment, this isn't an entirely new system being scrutinized by Joe public, this is a system that FFG have already decided upon.

They may well push the beta window back again, but aren't deciding on that window until they have a better idea when the books will get here.