Available Soon

By kaosoe, in General Discussion

Many of you may not be con goers so what you should know is that this is sort of a peak con time. GenCon just ended, DragonCon is wrapping up, as is PAX Prime. GamesCon was not long ago, and I think Games Convention in Germany is soon. I don't know which cons FF goes to but Aug-Oct is the big time for games and computer gaming cons. Sort of like Spring is big for CosPlay Cons.

That said, If FF is dealing with any number of these then it makes sense that there is some delay as they need to ensure they have product (not only this one but all of them) for the cons.

I can tell you that the average wait in like just to get into the FF booth at GenCon was ~25min during non-peak times and as much at 1.5hr wait during some of the high peak times. The average of averages being 30-45 mins. Thats just to get in to look around! FF and Paizo both had lines to just get in to their booths. They were also the biggest booths there with Wizards focusing solely on running games and not having a booth.

Am I biased, we have to assume so since I was able to get a copy. Is it fair? Not much in life is. I have no doubt the FF wishes they could get copies to everyone on day one, they do make money on it after all so it isn't like they don't want your money, there are just circumstances.

*twiddles thumbs impatiently*

You guys think you have it rough, I am waiting for the official non-beta release. :blink:

Many of you may not be con goers so what you should know is that this is sort of a peak con time. GenCon just ended, DragonCon is wrapping up, as is PAX Prime. GamesCon was not long ago, and I think Games Convention in Germany is soon. I don't know which cons FF goes to but Aug-Oct is the big time for games and computer gaming cons. Sort of like Spring is big for CosPlay Cons.

That said, If FF is dealing with any number of these then it makes sense that there is some delay as they need to ensure they have product (not only this one but all of them) for the cons.

I can tell you that the average wait in like just to get into the FF booth at GenCon was ~25min during non-peak times and as much at 1.5hr wait during some of the high peak times. The average of averages being 30-45 mins. Thats just to get in to look around! FF and Paizo both had lines to just get in to their booths. They were also the biggest booths there with Wizards focusing solely on running games and not having a booth.

Am I biased, we have to assume so since I was able to get a copy. Is it fair? Not much in life is. I have no doubt the FF wishes they could get copies to everyone on day one, they do make money on it after all so it isn't like they don't want your money, there are just circumstances.

This isn't how it was done last year though. I think everyone would just be happy if they had a pre-order system. That way we would know that we are eventually going to be able to get our hands on the books and they will know how many books they need to print. It's obvious to me that they did not print enough for both their Cons and web followers too.

What I really find funny is that opening page on Age of Rebellion asking us to join the Beta. Only if we could, FF.

So I just heard back from my FLGS on the status of them ordering the beta in.

These are not out yet. We will order next week. (That is the earliest that we will be able to order it). **We don't have a delivery date as of yet. Fantasy Flight Games is releasing a beta-test rulebook for Star Wars: Age of Rebellion "soon" from “participating” retailers. The limited edition, 244-page, softcover rulebook will have an MSRP of $29.95. The beta period will end on October 8th, 2013.

We know that the October 8th date has already been pushed back but I don't think we'll see these available to order until next week at the earliest, maybe even the week after if they want to align with retail sales. So extrapolating from what limited info we have it's likely to be an entire month between Gencon and when everyone else is able to get a copy.

I can only assume something major happened with the printing or the shipping, since FFG wouldn't keep it back for any old reason.

So, still "available soon"? I recently bouth EoE and would really like to buy the beta for AOR.

mah... I had wishes that I would have this for my 30th on Wednesday, but it seems I can't even order it before then either... :ph34r: what should I be reading on my birthday now?!

I told myself that if it wasn't out today I wasn't going to get it. Looks like I'm not giving any feedback.

I told myself that if it wasn't out today I wasn't going to get it. Looks like I'm not giving any feedback.

I can't see how FFG expects us to order the book, have it shipped, get it to the table for a meaningful amount of sessions and give feedback with the time given us.

I do wonder about the delay, because, if I'm not mistaken, this is a longer delay than EotE. Not that it really matters. I'll order it whenever its available, I need this book. :ph34r: If I receive it in time to give them proper feedback I'll do what I can. Even if there's only one or two sessions worth of testing.

So could they be using some new scheme to get the Beta distributed?

Give their new adventure time to be released before releasing the Beta in case someone has to decide between both of them and they want to make sure they have the chance to pick up both except they're making any edge of the empire products more important?

Need to listen to the rest of the latest Order 66 podcast to see if they have some info on this.

I can't see how FFG expects us to order the book, have it shipped, get it to the table for a meaningful amount of sessions and give feedback with the time given us.

Yeah, I could get over paying $30 for it, but then it's late, you let some people buy it, you don't talk to your community about when to expect it or extending the time to give feedback. That's just too much for me to give them any money for this. I'm sure enough people don't find this a big deal enough to not buy it, so they'll get their feedback without me.

Agree.

If they don't sell out to quickly, I am planning on picking up a copy. Though I question what they think a 7 to 9 week beta will get them (pending it ships soon). EotE had a very active forum with some great feedback by this point.

Hoping it ships soon so many of use can logically give feedback.

Agree.

If they don't sell out to quickly, I am planning on picking up a copy. Though I question what they think a 7 to 9 week beta will get them (pending it ships soon). EotE had a very active forum with some great feedback by this point.

Hoping it ships soon so many of use can logically give feedback.

Not to mention that most, if not all, of us have existing EotE games going on that doesn't really promote a full smoke test of these species, vehicles, mechanics without complicating those campaigns.

From an email from Mark Larson, dated this morning: "Thank you for checking back in! I do not have a further update, other than that we have had to push back the release by a few weeks. I am keeping close tabs on this product, as many people are very excited about this Beta."

I just wish there was an actual date. I have the money earmarked in my account, but its like, it could sell out not long after it goes up so I'm very careful about not spending that 40 dollars, and here I am sitting on 40 dollars that I could be using to do something else and just pulling the money from my next paycheck, but I have NO IDEA when its going up.

At this point I think I've had it earmarked and put aside for 3 different paychecks between mine and my wife's. And this Friday will be the fourth.

From an email from Mark Larson, dated this morning: "Thank you for checking back in! I do not have a further update, other than that we have had to push back the release by a few weeks. I am keeping close tabs on this product, as many people are very excited about this Beta."

Wow, he did a great job of not saying anything at all. FF really sucks at talking to their customers.

Thing is, I think now I'm more pumped about the X-Wing minis that are slated to come out at any moment than I am the Beta. Ask me a week ago, and I'd have said otherwise - but this two week cooling off period has shifted my love to the next new shiny thing!

Edited by Desslok

Thing is, I think now I'm more pumped about the X-Wing minis that are slated to come out at any moment than I am the Beta. Ask me a week ago, and I'd have said otherwise - but this two week cooling off period has shifted my love to the next new shiny thing!

Quite a common consumer reaction. If there was a logistical delay they should have taken pre-orders.

Quite a common consumer reaction. If there was a logistical delay they should have taken pre-orders.

For sure, I would have thrown money down on this the moment they announced it. Now I'm not even goin to buy it.

Oh, I'll still probably buy the silly thing - just that I can take it or leave it now. I'm fickle that way. (:

Agreed except for me the next shiny new thing might be either Saints IV or Disney Infinity and I think the lure of playing either Captain Jack Sparrow, Sully or Mr Incredible is winning out especially as I have a 6 year old nephew and the fact Disney Infinity is actually available to buy now!

Sigh... trying to keep strong... I think I'm falling to the Disney side ! :blink:

Edited by copperbell

It is your destiny.

Agreed except for me the next shiny new thing might be either Saints IV or Disney Infinity and I think the lure of playing either Captain Jack Sparrow, Sully or Mr Incredible is winning out especially as I have a 6 year old nephew and the fact Disney Infinity is actually available to buy now!

Oh crap - I'd forgotten about Saints Row IV. Plus GTAV comes out in a week, doesnt it. Man, the Beta is gonna get buried on my "excited about" list real soon. . . .