What we know so far...

By S.A.Harris, in General Discussion

I guess not everyone is familiar with BR. Their blueberry cheese ale ice cream is great.

That sounds tasty to this Irish lad.

It's okay. At least everyone here knows what a d20 is. Right? Right....?

Is that some sort of multi-sided street sign?

I do hope that the first Engineer Specialization is not still called Mechanic unless it is the same tree as the EotE Technician Specialization called Mechanic. I want the same name to be the same thing.

The first look isn't clear, is the only difference between the Space chapters in EotE and AoR the ships that are statted? Or are there new/expanded rules for space travel/combat as well?

I do hope that the first Engineer Specialization is not still called Mechanic unless it is the same tree as the EotE Technician Specialization called Mechanic. I want the same name to be the same thing.

Agreed. I'm curious if the repeat trees (Scout, Mechanic, and Slicer) will be the same as the EotE version.

After that, I'm very curious how the FSEm differs from the FSEx in terms talents. I'm glad to see that that although there is more variety for Force users, the overall power ceiling isn't going up.

Thanks, Fiddleback!

The first look isn't clear, is the only difference between the Space chapters in EotE and AoR the ships that are statted? Or are there new/expanded rules for space travel/combat as well?

In the version I have, there are no major apparent differences between the basic rules for travel and combat.

I guess not everyone is familiar with BR. Their blueberry cheese ale ice cream is great.

That sounds tasty to this Irish lad.

Sorry that should have said cheesecake.

Agreed. I'm curious if the repeat trees (Scout, Mechanic, and Slicer) will be the same as the EotE version.

The trees are the same. Ace-Pilot is the same as Smuggler-Pilot, Technician-Mechanic is the same as Engineer-Mechanic, etc.

The trees are the same. Ace-Pilot is the same as Smuggler-Pilot, Technician-Mechanic is the same as Engineer-Mechanic, etc.

Since I have a player that is currently a Smuggler (Pilot) but might be better served by recasting as an Ace (Pilot), would you please share the 8 Career Skills associated with Ace?

Since I have a player that is currently a Smuggler (Pilot) but might be better served by recasting as an Ace (Pilot), would you please share the 8 Career Skills associated with Ace?

Astrogation, Cool, Gunnery, Mechanics, Perception, Piloting (Planetary), Piloting (Space), Ranged (Light)

Astrogation, Cool, Gunnery, Mechanics, Perception, Piloting (Planetary), Piloting (Space), Ranged (Light)

Yeah, then the Ace Pilot gets NO additional career skills based upon his spec. All of them are duplicates. Yikes.

Yeah, then the Ace Pilot gets NO additional career skills based upon his spec. All of them are duplicates. Yikes.

Yeah, it's basically doubling down the Pilot idea rather than Scoundrel-Pilot which is going to be more diverse.

But I guess that is what makes him/her an ace!

Many thanks. That gives me enough to rework the character and get started now.

That's actually just what my player is looking for at the start. She's a hyper-specialized badass pilot. She has Agility 4 and Ranged (Light) 1, so for a low-XP group (we've just hit 50 earned XP), she's rather handy in a firefight too.

While on the subject of some of the new Careers and Specializations, how much difference is the really going to be between a Technician/Mechanic and an Engineer/Mechanic? Unlike the Smuggler vs. Ace, the names Engineer and Technician don't really give me much to go on as to how these are going to differ.

Are there any new Skills in AoR? I'm hoping not (excepting the possible official listing of the Lightsaber Skill). I expect new Talents, but I hope that the Skill list is essentially unchanged.

Are there any new Skills in AoR? I'm hoping not (excepting the possible official listing of the Lightsaber Skill). I expect new Talents, but I hope that the Skill list is essentially unchanged.

I believe the AoR preview on GSA stated still no lightsaber skill yet.

http://gsa.thegamernation.org/2013/08/15/first-look-star-wars-age-of-rebellion/

For anyone who currently has the book, a few things I'm curious about:

1) As previously asked, any new skills? Do the knowledge skills break down the same way they did in EotE?

2) How many new talents? Not literally how many, but what's the feel? Are the new specializations largely reconfigurations of existing talents, or are there a lot of new ones?

3) According to Fiddleback's write-up, there's a 20th talent tree called Military Training (I think) that anyone can access. I assume it's a universal tree? How is it designed? What kind of benefits does it offer?

Thanks!

I believe the AoR preview on GSA stated still no lightsaber skill yet.

The only thing that will be really missing is lightsaber talents - and presumably talent tree(s).

I kind of understand why they are opting to detail this stuff in FaD.

If FFG opts to diferenciate lightsaber forms, some will probably be based in Agility, others in Brawn. Or not.

Until then, it is for your GM (or group) to decide.

Edited by OB-1

While on the subject of some of the new Careers and Specializations, how much difference is the really going to be between a Technician/Mechanic and an Engineer/Mechanic? Unlike the Smuggler vs. Ace, the names Engineer and Technician don't really give me much to go on as to how these are going to differ.

It sounds like the talent trees are exactly the same, so the only difference will probably be class skills, and flavor.

Looking through the Career and Spec skills, the only new skill is Knowledge (Galactic Civil War). All the other Knowledges (Core Worlds, Xenology, Lore, Outer Rim, etc) make an appearance too, so I think that's the only added one.

How much information is in there about bases and headquarters? I know that it is an option at creation to select one instead of a ship, but does it go into stats/options/building tools or simply a discussion like in the EotE core rules?

How much information is in there about bases and headquarters? I know that it is an option at creation to select one instead of a ship, but does it go into stats/options/building tools or simply a discussion like in the EotE core rules?

Something like the cell creation stuff in Conspiracy X would indeed be pretty nifty.

No hard and fast stats. The intent is, I am sure, for players and GM to sit down and discuss things and then arrive at narrative solutions for the base that are appropriate for the location and situation you find yourselves in.

I suppose if you must have them you could adapt the starship statistics in a fairly reasonable and easy way.