What we know so far...

By S.A.Harris, in General Discussion

Ithorian has low agility, high Willpower IIRC.

You recall correctly.

T

If you don't mind me asking, what is the new skill? And what are the 3 new weapons and 3 new pieces of equipment? Everything else I can wait for, but I'm super curious about those.

New skill was reported as Knowledge (Galactic Civil War).

The skill is knowledge (galactic civil war)

Armor piercing grenade, anti-vehicle mine, anti-personnel mine.

I think there are more then 3 new gear items but I didn't sit and compare side by side, alto I noticed a few like load bearing gear, fusion cutter, crash survival kit, and a few others

T

Awesome! Thanks guys :D . Sounds awesome!

So that knowledge is probably for warfare stuff, so you'll be able to use that to identify tactics, weapons, and equipment, as well as just general info about the rebellion and the empire? Freakin' sweet!

Bah!!!! give me booookkkkkkkkssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!

I needs the precioussss.

Urgh... looks like they have done the whole "Star Battlecruiser" nonsense. Erg... A Star Destroyer is not a Star "Destroyer", but a "Star Destroyer", a whole rudding ship class of its own.

I'm easy with there being star frigates or whatever, but when people say something is an Imperial Star Destroyer they clearly mean that it is a Star Destroyer operated by the Empire, not that it is an Imperial class Star Destroyer. Never liked that bit of fluff.

To say nothing of all the old Internet drama and retcons surrounding such warships, i.e. the whole Super -class thing... older sources such as WEG books labeled the Executor as being either an 8 km or 12.8 km Super -class, since 2004 it was described as 19 km, then in 2006 a WOTC article called it 19 km " as are all Super Star Destroyers of the same class " ... then finally a subsequent WOTC article said -- and the Databank subsequently agreed -- that the " Super -class" was misinformation used by the Imperial Navy in its budget requests to the Senate to the hide the Executor 's actual size, armament and role before finally being revealed/confirmed as Executor -class, while WOTC's Saga Edition Starships of the Galaxy used SSD and Super -class interchangeably.

Awesome! Thanks guys :D . Sounds awesome!

So that knowledge is probably for warfare stuff, so you'll be able to use that to identify tactics, weapons, and equipment, as well as just general info about the rebellion and the empire? Freakin' sweet!

It helps that it seems relatively adaptable to eras and settings just by swapping out the war in question, and likewise it seems that much of AoR works 1:1 for an Imperial campaign.

Out of curiosity what Imperial capital ships do they include in the new Beta?

Gozanti Class Armed Transport since it is used by some governmental organizations

Lancer Class Frigate

EF76 Nebulon-B Frigate

Deadnought-Class Heavy Cruiser (Both Imperial and Rebellion)

Vindicator Class Heavy Cruiser

Immobilizer 418 Cruiser

Imperial I Class Star Destroyer

Praetor II class Star Battlecruiser

Victory Class Star Destroyer

Oh god I really hope I can get hold of a copy of this book, just this alone makes it worth it!

Also are any of the new nemesis/adversaries force powered? Yes, The Jedi-in-hiding is a new nemesis.

Odd and they’re still claiming this is a Rebel focused book?

Do they go into any detail regarding Imperial or Rebel outposts?

Not really. Its more up to the GM and Players to work together on this. They state something along the lines of a garage, hinting to keep it kind of realistic. But the PC's get a nice sum of extra starting credits for this.

Also the adventure Operation:Shell Game does give some information on this from the GM perspective.

Taking those idea one could create some interesting Rebel and Imperial bases/posts/etc.

Much obliged.

Edited by copperbell

Also are any of the new nemesis/adversaries force powered? Yes, The Jedi-in-hiding is a new nemesis.

Odd and they’re still claiming this is a Rebel focused book?

Who's claiming anything? It is what it is.

I seriously like the look of the numbers on this.

As for it being a "Rebel focused book" and including the "Jedi in Hiding" as a new Nemesis, remember that nemesis is a level of NPC ability and detail as much as it is a role. I could also see high ranking and powerful members of the Rebellion being antagonists for non-Rebel characters.

The book is called "Age of Rebellion" not "You are a member of the Rebel Alliance, and a traitor." after all.

I seriously like the look of the numbers on this.

As for it being a "Rebel focused book" and including the "Jedi in Hiding" as a new Nemesis, remember that nemesis is a level of NPC ability and detail as much as it is a role. I could also see high ranking and powerful members of the Rebellion being antagonists for non-Rebel characters.

The book is called "Age of Rebellion" not "You are a member of the Rebel Alliance, and a traitor." after all.

I think Age of Rebellion implies the time frame not the "sympathetic" faction. If I have an RPG called "Rise of Rome" I would assume I could play a Roman, Carthaginian, German tribal, or a Macedonian, for example.

"In the Star Wars®: Age of Rebellion™ roleplaying game, you and your friends take the fight to the oppressive Galactic Empire as cunning spies, cocky pilots, and dedicated soldiers in the Rebel Alliance . Each member of the Rebellion has a unique and important part to play in the galaxy-spanning conflict, and as you play Age of Rebellion, your character will leave his mark on the Star Wars universe."

Seems pretty faction-specific to me...

I think Age of Rebellion implies the time frame not the "sympathetic" faction. If I have an RPG called "Rise of Rome" I would assume I could play a Roman, Carthaginian, German tribal, or a Macedonian, for example.

I don't think people would expect to play the Nazis in an Indiana Jones RPG.

True, but even as someone that doesn't play Imp, it would have been nice to see. It is an RPG after all.

You need to know the stats on Imperial vessels if your going to fight against them, or send a strike team in to hijack them, or steal the plans for them, or any other of an assortment of reasons.

Curiosity question here: What's the Silhouette on the Lancer -class Frigate? I ask this since I brewed up a Tartan -class patrol cruiser, but considering that they're both 250 meters and I chose Silhouette 5 specifically to maintain its threat against starfighters (capital ships are treated as one Silhouette smaller when firing laser cannons and quad laser cannons, so it'd be treated as Silhouette 4 -- a difference of one from starfighters' Silhouette 3 -- and thus Average difficulty) so I want to see what FFG chose... that difference of 5 or 6 (the latter being the 300 meter Nebulon-B) makes a lot of difference as far as how the Tartan -class and Lancer -class fare at their raison d'etre , so I hope that they're Silhouette 5.

Curiosity question here: What's the Silhouette on the Lancer -class Frigate? I ask this since I brewed up a Tartan -class patrol cruiser, but considering that they're both 250 meters and I chose Silhouette 5 specifically to maintain its threat against starfighters (capital ships are treated as one Silhouette smaller when firing laser cannons and quad laser cannons, so it'd be treated as Silhouette 4 -- a difference of one from starfighters' Silhouette 3 -- and thus Average difficulty) so I want to see what FFG chose... that difference of 5 or 6 (the latter being the 300 meter Nebulon-B) makes a lot of difference as far as how the Tartan -class and Lancer -class fare at their raison d'etre , so I hope that they're Silhouette 5.

Lancer is indeed sil.5 with 5 sets of quad laser cannons.

T

Don't start that crap again.

Edited by MILLANDSON

T

Thanks for the confirmation! Sounds like the writer of that and I had the same idea re: Silhouette size and "game design" (keeping a 250 m warship within one Silhouette of starfighters when using laser cannons or quad laser cannons for the purposes of attack difficulty) and now we know that Silhouette 5 can stretch from about 50 meters to over 250 meters but under 300 meters in length.

Although, shouldn't it be four sets of five quad laser cannons per facing? How did they arrange five sets of four quad laser cannons?

T

Thanks for the confirmation! Sounds like the writer of that and I had the same idea re: Silhouette size and "game design" (keeping a 250 m warship within one Silhouette of starfighters when using laser cannons or quad laser cannons for the purposes of attack difficulty) and now we know that Silhouette 5 can stretch from about 50 meters to over 250 meters but under 300 meters in length.

Although, shouldn't it be four sets of five quad laser cannons per facing? How did they arrange five sets of four quad laser cannons?

No five sets of 4 quads front, left, right, rear, and ventral.

T

Another nice review. Thanks for the link, Fiddleback!

Don't start that crap again.

Honestly, just set your profile to ignore any posts from him. It'll certainly improve your forum browsing experience when you can just skip over his tripe and bile without even having to glance at it.

Thanks for the plug on the review Fiddy. As I stated at the end, I do plan on doing a review of the various new careers as separate articles rather than bloat the book review.

It was a nicely done review Donovan