SW LCG Dream Cards

By Galak Fyyar, in Star Wars: The Card Game

These are all really cool!

Hmmm...Shistavanens are my favorite species, so maybe a Lak Sivrak? But would he be Rebel or Smugglers and Spies?

These are all really cool!

Hmmm...Shistavanens are my favorite species, so maybe a Lak Sivrak? But would he be Rebel or Smugglers and Spies?

Could possibly be a Neutral Light if it comes down to it. I don't think we've ever seen a Neutral Unique Unit in the game so far.

I'd like to see a Han Solo attachment like the Wedge and Luke attachments.

He could do something like grant the vehicle elite and a tactics. That would be fun :) .

Elite Sleuth Scouts with a tactics icon, my mind is blown.

I'd like to see a Han Solo attachment like the Wedge and Luke attachments.

He could do something like grant the vehicle elite and a tactics. That would be fun :) .

Elite Sleuth Scouts with a tactics icon, my mind is blown.

Sleuth Scout with 3 pilots. (I don't even understand how they all fit in that thing) Noooow your mind is blown.

They fit in it very, very carefully.

Where did you guys got the templates? :(

I want to make some objective sets for my SWTOR Guildies but cant find any Temp

I want a cantina band pod.

The cantina band Voltron pod? "We're getting the band back together"

Here you go. I threw some "limit once per turn" clauses in there just to keep it from being TOO ridiculous. Enjoy!

Intergalactic Tour - Objective (Smugglers and Spies)
Resource: 1
Capacity: 5
Reaction: After a friendly unit strikes as an attacker, remove it from the engagement. (Limit once per turn.)
The smooth sounds of Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes were frequent ambience in cantinas throughout the Outer Rim.
MWM6 - 1/6

•The Modal Nodes - Unit (Smugglers and Spies)
Cost: 3
Force icons: 3
Capacity: 2
Combat icons: B
Character. Civilian.
Reaction:
After this unit strikes as an attacker, move a token (any type) from another unit to this unit.
MWM6 - 2/6

Bith Musician - Unit (Neutral)
Cost: 1
Force icons: 1
Capacity: 1
Combat icons: n/a
Character. Civilian.
Action:
Sacrifice this unit to remove a token (any type) from target Character unit.
MWM6 - 3/6

Bith Musician - Unit (Neutral)
Capacity: 1
Combat icons: n/a
Character. Civilian.
Action:
Sacrifice this unit to remove a token (any type) from target Character unit.
MWM6 - 4/6

Kloo Horn Training - Enhancement (Smugglers and Spies)
Cost: 2
Force icons: 2
Skill.
Enhance a Character unit.
Reaction: After enhanced unit strikes as an attacker, remove all tokens (each type) from another target unit. (Limit once per turn.)
MWM6 - 5/6

Evading Capture - Event (Smugglers and Spies)

Interrupt: After edge stacks are revealed (before fate card resolution), return a card you played during this edge battle to its owner's hand.
MWM6 - 6/6

Edited by MarthWMaster

Be right back, crying because the event card in that pod is not real.

Cool but way overpowered, especially in the late game.

Might raising the cost of the Bith Musicians or enhancement, or adjusting something else tone it down some? Or are you speaking specifically of the event card?

Edited by MarthWMaster

Might raising the cost of the Bith Musicians or enhancement, or adjusting something else tone it down some? Or are you speaking specifically of the event card?

First off, awesome job! The way the objective moves units out of battle and shuffles tokens around reminds me of "The Bith Shuffle." Was that intentional? Because it's so cool. It also reminds me of entertainers from Star Wars Galaxies because the musicians could heal people, if I recall correctly.

Kloo Horn Training seems the most overpowered to me. Everything else seems nice. The problem with Kloo Horn Training is that it acts as Trust Your Feelings, except you can choose which unit gets the benefit. I can see a lot of ways to use this card well. First, there's the combo with the Modal Nodes. You load those Biths up with tokens and then sing them away with Kloo Horn Training. But you could just as easily send a unit like Chewbacca or a Blockade Runner in to deal damage to an objective, attack a different objective with the Kloo Horn Training-enhanced unit to remove focus tokens from the objective-damaging unit, then use that unit to strike again against the third objective. Alternatively, you can send Kloo Horn Training's unit into combat with a couple units, then free them up mid-battle when the Kloo Horn Training-enhanced unit strikes to allow them to strike again during combat.

The one thing that stops Kloo Horn from being too powerful is that you have to enhance a Character unit and most S&S characters don't have very much damage capacity. Kloo Horn Training will make its enhanced unit a huge target and it will be hard to avoid fire since it must strike in combat in order to gain its benefit. If you can get Wookiee Life Debt on the table with some Wookiees, this card becomes quite scary. Alternatively, you can run this in a Jedi deck and use Guardian of the Peace. Either way, you want to keep this unit alive, and if you can do that, you will have a serious leg-up over your opponent.

On the other hand, Echo Caverns seemed super powerful, but I don't hear many people talking about it much anymore. Maybe Kloo Horn Training would be a fad like that. It's certainly powerful, but not necessarily game-breaking.

Sorry for going so long, but another card worth mentioning is Evading Capture. I would love to throw down Twist of Fate with a couple other cards, then, if I have more icons than my opponent, I can pull Twist back out and save it for later. This is just brutal! I do feel like it outclasses Reversal of Fate by a lot. Typical of a Smugglers & Spies card. :) Reversal doesn't let you see the cards first, but this one does. That's a huge advantage.

I think you did a good job of trying to keep balance by pairing stellar cards like Evading Capture and Kloo Horn Training with cards like Bith Musician. The little guys are still useful, but people would be running this set for the other two power cards.

The way the objective moves units out of battle and shuffles tokens around reminds me of "The Bith Shuffle." Was that intentional? Because it's so cool. It also reminds me of entertainers from Star Wars Galaxies because the musicians could heal people, if I recall correctly.

The Bith Shuffle didn't even occur to me. It's more the latter: I was wondering, "How exactly could the cantina band help save the galaxy?" And I decided they should be about token removal, since it's rejuvenating to sit down and drink some ale while listening to music. That, and I felt that since the Modal Nodes are touring all over the Outer Rim, they're going to be dealing with a lot of stress, so in a way, the relief they give to the cantina patrons is siphoned onto the Nodes themselves. Then it was just a matter of adjusting costs and abilities to keep it somewhat mellow.

I'd say a big part of playtesting is figuring out which cards work well together, which cards work too well together, and which don't work at all. I can only imagine what a headache it must be for this game in particular, since the cards need to be evaluated both by themselves and as objective sets.

Edited by MarthWMaster

Hi All,

First time poster in these forums. Loving the game, and loving the fan cards posted in here.

I have a few questions, and the answers will help me improve my own fan cards:

1 - What is the font for the card title. I know Eurostyle is used for the game text, but I can't find the Title font, even after using font search software

2 - What are the font sizes for the various texts? Specifically on the cards posted by Galak Fyyar (good job btw!)

3 - Where can you get the icon symbols (tactics, blast etc) for the body of the card text - ie the "this unit gains (blast)"? Are they just .png files or is there a font?

4 - Anyone got any good quality scans of cards on par with Galak's for the other factions and card types? Most interetsed in smugglers and scum cards. I know how to create templates from the cards, and using medium grade scans is fine, but i want them to look as good as possible

5 - How do you actually post pictures to this forum? Do you have to post them elsewhere online first? I have some cards made already and would to share them to get your thoughts and feedback for game balance etc

Many thanks

I was listening to Geoff Engelstein's Ludology GameTech segment on the Dice Tower podcast recently and he raised a mechanic which I would love to see somehow employed in a game, and could probably find a place within Star Wars.

He called it Liturgy & Antidosis; the elemental example given was Player 1 having the freedom to divide a pie in two any way she likes, with the understanding that Player 2 has the freedom to elect which player gets which portion.

I can already think of half-a-dozen ways to apply that which could be interesting... it's a mechanic that would tend towards a balanced mean but also show the impact of wild imbalance.

Edited by Demas

The Black Sails agenda from AGoT works like that: you cut your deck, and sn opponent chooses one portion to be your draw deck, and the other to be your Hold, which you can pull cards from during the game as per the agenda's text.

Hm, that's interesting. The dagger or the poison, as Eleanor of Aquitaine would have asked.

We actually discuss this very topic on Star Wars TCG podcast! www.starwarstcg.com Love the Darth Maul.

Okay - so I worked out how to upload photos finally..

Thought I would share some cards to see what you guys think. Particularly any thoughts on balance etc, or ways to improve design (I don't know font for card titles for example) woulb be welcomed

This objective set is based on Darth Talon's exploits. I know it's set a few years later in the SWEU, but this is fan stuff so, what they hell...

D01-1of6-mission-to-vendaxa_zps43c933a3.

IIRC Darth Talon uses the force to get creatures to attack Skywalker Jnr and Co. Thought it would be good to get some synergy with creatures as the sith have a few, but mechanically this card does not truly represent the story point as the ability should be in offence, not defence

D01-2of6-darthtalon_zps3d6f7b30.png

Art is a little cartoony, but its still a cool picture.Stats reflect her decent combat ability (are there any sith/jedi who are not good in combat?) and her effects reflect her ability to heal using the force and again her control of creatures - this time in offence. Whilst she has not got objective damage this is more than compensated for with her ability, which she can activate whilst out of the combat - perhaps it is too powerful once a few creatures are dropped on the boards? Instant kill for objectives if there are enough - though this is no more powerful than a tooled up Yoda, and 5+ creatures would stand a chance of destroying an objective in combat anyway

D01-3of6-acklay_zpse779e8a7.png

One of the better creature designs from the prequels. This art is a direct lift from the story the objective set tells. Decent in combat, but a slow creature so icons are edge enabled

D01-4of6-talonsabre_zpse008344f.png

This card was made using a lower quality scan (anyone know where to get better quality ones?). Also, not sure where to get icons from for the text box - though I actually prefer the graphic based icons as it is more immediately obvious whether they are edge enabled etc. Ability for Talon reflects her loyalty to her master and combos nicely with her regen ability, Also at potentially 4 unit damage icons she can take down most units in the game

D01-5of6-beastmastery_zpsc2867f7c.png

Another card for the creature synergy. I wanted a 0 cost card. Not sure if the other cost is too high as a result. I forget the name of the alien in the art but I think she is a nightsister who controls a group of Wampas using the force.

D01-6of6-Succumb_zpsed60bc0d.png

Whilst the effect is limited I think placing focus tokens outright would be too unbalanced, plus I liked the idea of wounded units actually suffering due to their injuries/damage. A very Sith concept I think....

Edited by Marshal Lambert

I saw someone already took a shot at a Thrawn Trilogy set and I wanted to add to it. I have 2 Sith sets and a 3rd in progress. Here is the first one:

****SPOILERS FOR THRAWN TRILOGY**** (My bad again to Threebilbo)

Set: RLR 300

Card: 1/6

Title: Mt. Tantiss Cloning Facility (Sith)

Life/Resource: 5/1

Traits: Wayland

Action: While this Objective is in play, all friendly players may ignore the Limit 1 Unique Unit restriction on all Character Units they deploy

Flavor Text: "This secret storehouse was used by Grand Admiral Thrawn to create crewmen for his Dreadnaught fleet, but the insane clone Joruus C'baoth had uses for it as well."

Card:2/6 & 3/6

Title: (*) Luuke Skywalker

Faction/Type: Sith/Unit

Traits: Character, Clone, Force User

Cost/Life: 3/3

Combat icons: 2 Black Unit Damage, 2 White Objective Damage

Force Icons: 2

Action: none

Flavor Text: "Luuke was made from the lost hand of Luke Skywalker at Cloud City and wields the Lightsaber he also lost there."

Card: 4/6

Title: Clone

Faction/Type: Neutral/Unit

Traits: Character, Clone

Cost/Life: 2/1

Combat Icons: none

Force Icons: 1

Action: When this unit focuses to strike during an engagement, pick any other participating Character unit. This unit get all combat icons the chosen unit has (If the chosen unit won the edge battle, this unit gains those as well).

Card: 5/6

Title: (*) Luke's Old Lightsaber

Faction/Type: Neutral/Enhancement

Traits: Weapon

Cost: 2

Force Icons: 2

Action: Enhance a Force User or Force Sensitive unit. Enhanced unit gains two standard unit damage. Forced Reaction : When enhanced unit leaves play, this enhancement must move to another Force User or Force Sensitive unit (even an opponent's). If no such units are in play, discard this enhancement.

Card: 6/6

Title: (*) Spaarti Cloning Cylinder

Faction/Type: Sith/Enhancement

Traits: Wayland

Cost: 3

Resources: 1

Force Icons: 1

Action: Enhance your play area. You may discard this enhancement to resolve the following action. Interrupt : When any Character Unit is to leave play, instead place it aside. During your deploy phase, you may pay the cost to put this unit back in play under your control (It does not count towards your reserve value).

What do you guys think?

Edited by Gunner070

I think this is interesting. I've never read the Thrawn trilogy, though, and I think I just got massive spoiler overload. Alas!

I think this is interesting. I've never read the Thrawn trilogy, though, and I think I just got massive spoiler overload. Alas!

My Bad.... :(

You should totally still read it. It's the 1st and best EU series I have ever read.

Edited by Gunner070

No, no apologies needed! I'm more intrigued now, actually.

...and I have to admit, I saw 'Wayland' and thought it was the Netrunner Corp. Very confused for a second, but subcontracting with the Empire is totally something Weyland would do. XD

I think this set is way overpowered.

The objective itself would be a field day for Sith control, 2x Vader, 2x Emperor, then you can duplicate them again with the Clone unit? That's way too powerful. I think you'd have to balance it with a strong drawback, like those units are destroyed after they strike, or each time you play a duplicate you deal 2-3 damage to the objective. It definitely can't have 5 health in it's current state.