SW LCG Dream Cards

By Galak Fyyar, in Star Wars: The Card Game

I want to ask FFG – do you allow dream cards on this site or they are forbidden?
I try to post one (my rough draft – low quality and simple in the text, nothing new) – hope you don’t ban me for this. ;)

rsxw_dream.png

Very nice looking card, in no way as rough or basic as you let on ;-). Good job!

FFG takes a pretty hands-off approach to their forums (fora, if you're nasty), and I've never seen anything to indicate they frown on this kind of thing. Just make sure that you make it clear that this isn't a real card. Which I think you've done here, although with the game so recently spoiled and everyone eager for new information, I could see someone not reading and just seeing a card and thinking it was legit.

It's hard to get a good dream thread going here, for a couple of reasons: 1) not everyone is skilled enough with imaging software to produce anything that looks good, and since a few people are this skilled - I must say you being one, sir - the rest including myself don't tend to bother with text-based DCs; and 2) because FFG is guaranteed to not use any card ideas found on the forum, some interpret this to mean that if they come up with a good idea, posting here will prevent that idea from ever showing up in the game. So naturally, the good ideas are kept off the forum, which kinda keeps the thread from developing anything interesting.

That all being said, I fully support a Star Wars dream card thread. Dream on! :D

Cool card!

I'm not aware of too many other cards, but this guy has the feeling of being very effective…maybe a little too effective for his cost? ;)

Still, great job, and I'd like to see more people throw up their ideas (with proper art and setup like you have).

El Chino said:

I'm not aware of too many other cards, but this guy has the feeling of being very effective…maybe a little too effective for his cost? ;)

A lot of his effectiveness is reliant on winning the edge battle. I think it's a reasonable cost.

Sandcrawlers, ion cannons, and a gibbering brown mess of Jawas. This is the beginning and end of my dreams. Tatooine Cycle next please?

I don't have specific cards or mechanics I want to see just yet, but there're definitely elements I hope end up in the game. I'm really glad that there's an Ewok pod in the core set, and I hope we get an Endor cycle eventually that'll expand on them. I'm also very much hoping that Tusken Raiders are included in the Scum and Villainy faction, and that Jawa pods be a thing that exist and are awesome.

The next cycles I would like to see:

Tatooine
Bespin
Yavin
Endor
Rise of the Empire (fleshing out the period between trilogies)

After these I would prefer sets based around thematic elements: Jedi/Sith lore, espionage, etc. I conclude the "celestial cycle" with Endor because the Battle of Endor forms the climax of the films (at least until Episode VII comes out). It should be delayed as much as possible, within reason.

You could start a thread like this on www.afewmaneuvers.com/forums the actual site isn't live yet.

;)

Just wondering if I'm the only one that hopes if this game stays along for awhile that would want cards not just from the original films. I mean if lets say after four years could only be making different versions of the main characters, and i'd rather get versions of new characters from 1-3. I am younger so guess not one of those die hard the new ones aren't the same thing. Just from game stand point as well be more interesting to me. But guess be weird playing with an Anakin Skywalker vs Darthvader.

It could be wierd, but the way that they have the game set up it's unfortunately always going to be an Original Trilogy sort of game. I'm hoping that they do go real in-depth and do some Expanded Universe stuff. Like for the one book that came out that was the creepy stormtrooper book. I'd love to see some cards pulled from that, or the Jedi Academy stuff get pulled in.

That being said, "Secret of Yavin 4" seems like a card that hints towards their being able to move into the Final Trilogy.

Dream Card number two - enjoy our favorit Sith!

s-31.png

ups - double-post

RE: Rogue Squadron X-Wing

This really feels like it wants to be a unique unit. Compare to the only other non-unique 3-cost Vehicle in AT-ST - the latter has only three total damage icons, one of which is edge-enabled, and an enters the battlefield ability, versus Rogue Squadron X-Wing's four damage icons, albeit with three being edge-enabled, Elite (thus far only found on unique units, I believe), and Shielding - both of which are once-per-turn abilities. This unit is really, really strong, especially as a "common" unit, perhaps too strong. Also, why does this card have Shielding?

RE: Darth Maul

I categorically hate this card. Not because he's overpowered (though he seems to be, what with his 5 icons and ability to get more), but because he's color hate. Cards that exist as checks to certain strategies or archetypes are fine. Cards that punish a player because they chose to play a specific affiliation are terrible. Maul is healthy enough that he can survive a single strike handily, and cuts down any Jedi Character unit if he has the edge…or just one Jedi in the opponent's discard pile. Who can easily have been put there because of a start of turn discard or an edge battle. And the Jedi's best method of locking him down, Jedi Mind Trick, is fairly ineffective due to Elite. I would be very disappointed to see this card or anything like it see print.

D.Knight Sevus said:

RE: Rogue Squadron X-Wing

This really feels like it wants to be a unique unit. ….

RE: Darth Maul

I categorically hate this card. Not because he's overpowered (though he seems to be, what with his 5 icons and ability to get more)…

Wow-wow-wow… You simply misunderstand me. Star Wars The Card Game LCG is very young game, with only one expansion – Core Set and at this point my primary concern is only one – support the game. I create those cards ONLY as examples of graphic quality – card template, fonts, icons – only what I need NOW that the cards is LOOKING like REAL SWLCG cards. Why I need this? On my opinion, FFG does not support this game enough outside US (and even inside US) - I want to play this game, and as FFG create their promo cards as “ Print on Demand ”, I want to print my dream cards to gift them as addition prizes at local tournaments. I want to make REASON to PLAY this game, not playing “Magic (MtG)” at Fridays Nights and other games. And this Darth Maul card is my first high quality example of my work in this direction – this Saturday I gift three of those cards to 1-3 players (winner gets foil). Does anybody want one of those cards to your collection?… ;)

P.S. Sorry for my English…

I wonder about Maul's tactics icon. I see him as being more direct than that. Not to say he's unintelligent, per se, but Vader certainly has more guile than Maul, yet has only damage icons on his Sith version. But again, visually an astounding card. Good job!

No disrepect to Maul but my favorite sith is Caedus. He knew every single fighting style and how to beat them except for one. Which eventually led to his downfall.

Would love to know what software you used, and general technique…. Would love to make custom pilot cards like them for a X-Wing campaign

I'd like to know what software you use, too. Astounding job mate, and a cool idea as tourney/league prizes. My shop is having similar issues with prize support as well (and our distributor isn't exactly doing a bang-up job of providing it either)

caedus89 said:

No disrepect to Maul but my favorite sith is Caedus. He knew every single fighting style and how to beat them except for one. Which eventually led to his downfall.

Caedus you say… ;)

s-32.png

P.S. I apologize for the silence, but I try to answer on all your questions tomorrow (I really try… maybe… I'm SO Busy!!!) …

These look AMAZING!

But like all dream cards, way overpowered lol.

Caedus is all around great though!

cooleo1c said:

But like all dream cards, way overpowered lol.

Little bit better playtested, revised and updated:

s-34.PNG

s-33.PNG

cooleo1c said:

Caedus is all around great though!

He also contain new custom keyword ability.

cooleo1c said:

These look AMAZING!

Thanks Ryan!!! ;)

How did you manage playstest of the cards without full objective sets?

MarthWMaster said:

How did you manage playstest of the cards without full objective sets?

Simply replace Vader with one of them avergonzado_alegre