New Custom Desgned Unit Cards - Looking For Suggestions!

By WatchItPlayed, in Dust Warfare

I've just printed this out onto a 6x4 photo paper, size of the text is perfect, easily readable and I do not have good eyesight. Layout is spot on to.

IF you go public with these find a way to add a pay pal donate button - Id like to donate a couple bucks for your effort ,tons of blogs are able to do this and I would like a way to say thanks that matters ; )

Gordon

Think you might be breaking copyright laws if you did that. O'h and please leave the ability rules where they are, its where you need them everything in one place.

Rodney, I'd be happy to help with the grunt work once you're satisfied with your final design.

By the way, is there a way to privately message a forum user?

KevinBakon said:

By the way, is there a way to privately message a forum user?

Yes, but it's rather awkward. I sent you a PM detailing how to do so.

Thanks for the kind feedback everyone. I would be moving more quickly, but having been without a computer for a few days, I have some major catching up on other projects, but I've made a few more adjustments today and will continue to make some more and upload them here. I'm sure not everyone will like every decision I make, but maybe I can assimilate the ideas I like best.

I will upload a PSD eventually as well, and then people can remove descriptions, put flowers all over them, or whatever :)

Awesome card design

This is the latest draft, it's been added to the OP as well.

Basically updated all the original elements and added in a couple more. I'd say we're just about there now.

You can find the full version here: http://bit.ly/JgGKbA

SpecOpsUnitCardv0.7.jpg

When you do make these, could you please make a separate card for the Bot hunters/ Tank Killers with change in weapon lines, instead of an upgrade +3pts option.

Rock On! Looks great, text is fine for me.

Looks great! Thanks for the hard work.

By Jove, I think he's got it! To the Production Cave Batman! gran_risa.gif

i would use * instead of S for spray weapons otherwise perfect.

Dakkon426 said:

i would use * instead of S for spray weapons otherwise perfect.

Interesting idea. I guess my only concern is that in future releases they might have other funky effects that also use a symbol, so if I use a letter, it will always be clear (hopefully), what it stands for.

When I started to fill out The Hammers unit I found a few more things that needed tweaking, and also discovered that because of the graphic not having a plain white background, I needed to move the AP somewhere else. That upper space seems perfect.

So, in the OP is now Version 1.0 of the layout. And the first official unit card: The Hammers. If anyone can see any issues with the rules or can suggest a more succint description, let me know. Keep in mind, I want to include ALL rules details, but I want to do it in the shortest amount of words, while remaining clear to a new player.

More units coming soon. Once I know for sure that this format suits several units types, I'll put the PSD online. No point in doing it now and have several of you put work into filling in unit information, just to have me change the format on you again.

Go here for the full size: http://members.accesswave.ca/~rcasmith/SpecOpsUnitCardv1.0.jpg

SpecOpsUnitCardv1.0.jpg

LOVE it! Can't wait to get a set and use them to crush . . . I mean to unify the Earth! :)

Craig in NH said:

LOVE it! Can't wait to get a set and use them to crush . . . I mean to unify the Earth! :)

Which faction are you playing these days? Zombie Axis? :)

I also added the little blue medal to show which model is the Leader in the unit. Forgot to mention that.

Think I'm just gonna scrap work on my own cards and go for these when released. Beautiful work, Rodney.

Only (stupidly minor) quibble at this point is the placement of the Dust Warfare logo. For some reason, the fact that it's neither centered on the card or the piece of paper it's stamped onto is distracting me every time. On cards with many rules it'll be a complete non-issue, but on this one it's bugging me. Again, it's a stupidly minor quibble and I tend to take full advantage of the cards regardless. May even grab the PSD when available and stick photos of my own painted units (when finished) on the cards.

If you need any help propagating the book to the cards let me know. I'm pretty handy with the Photoshops.

These look Amazing! One little point… Hammers are 28 AP

Thank you for these cards!

I know what you mean :) I had the logo in the center for awhile as well, but as I thought it could make the text a little harder to read, I decided to move it to the section of the paper with the least amount of text, even when the card is full.

I guess practical concerns won out :) Thanks for the comments though and I'll be looking for your help with the Photoshops soon!

CrayolaSmoker said:

Think I'm just gonna scrap work on my own cards and go for these when released. Beautiful work, Rodney.

Only (stupidly minor) quibble at this point is the placement of the Dust Warfare logo. For some reason, the fact that it's neither centered on the card or the piece of paper it's stamped onto is distracting me every time. On cards with many rules it'll be a complete non-issue, but on this one it's bugging me. Again, it's a stupidly minor quibble and I tend to take full advantage of the cards regardless. May even grab the PSD when available and stick photos of my own painted units (when finished) on the cards.

If you need any help propagating the book to the cards let me know. I'm pretty handy with the Photoshops.

Neebs said:

These look Amazing! One little point… Hammers are 28 AP

Thank you for these cards!

Just making sure you're paying attention! (a-hem… thanks!)

I figured you where just making sure that we are paying attention??!

Yeah, currently fielding Axis with a couple zombie squads . . . but I DID just get my Gorilla order in today with Marcus (yes, got the Campaign pack. I've sold OZZ to a friend for $12 . . . but I'm still afraid this makes me a sick, sick man . . . ) happy.gif

I'm excited to say I've got a few unit cards done now. These are all the Allies cards that come with the Revised Core set. These will probabaly be the hardest ones to find pictures for, since they aren't sold seperately.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/13964498/1/Dust%20Warfare%20Unit%20Cards?h=52c0b1

When I print them through Photoshop they come out as 6.5" x 4.5" (or for my fellow Canadians: 16cm x 11cm).

I am also including links to the PSD files for each so that you can do whatever you like with these - but mainly I'm hoping you will help us complete more unit cards!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fpsgzojxnli25g7/a2Me-zCbFr

IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO A UNIT, POST HERE AND TELL US JUST BEFORE YOU GET STARTED - this way someone won't duplicate your work (but don't tell us you want to do a unit if you're going to wait a few hours to do it, someone might have it done in that time).

I will be mocking up a couple Axis cards next, so once I have any changes to the style of their cards done I will upload an Axis template for us to start working on the Axis cards as well.

If you don't know how to use Photoshop this may be a little hard to figure out, but you can still help by seeing what people upload (including me, and double checking for mistakes). It's easy to screw up a weapon state line or a rules detail.

Tips: I have layers for all the different items and I've included the fonts in the Drop Box folder with the PSDs.

To add the unit picture:

1. Find a high quality picture of the unit (Google Image search with Large Image selected is your friend).

2. Copy the unit picture you found to the Clipboard.

3. Then go to the Unit Card you are working on and go into the Unit ID layer group and select the Polaroid layer.

4. Then click in the area where the current picture is located on the card using the Magic Wand Tool, this should highlight the full square where the pictre is.

5. Then go to Edit / Paste Special / Paste Into. This will ensure that the image never extends beyond the photo square. Now you can move it around, hit Control-T to enlarge, shrink or rotate it.

And of course, ask if you have any questions. Most importantly though, please upload the full PSD and the JPG so that other people can have the PSD (and the text and stat lines) to copy and paste into other cards. Plus, if I have all the PSD files I can update any cards that might need it in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I've uploaded a new Rhino JPG to line up with the Errata that was just released.