New Custom Desgned Unit Cards - Looking For Suggestions!

By WatchItPlayed, in Dust Warfare

The complete Core Set is complete!

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/13964498/1/Dust%20Warfare%20Unit%20Cards?h=52c0b1

When I print them through Photoshop they come out as 6.5" x 4.5" (or for my fellow Canadians: 16cm x 11cm).

I am also including links to the PSD files for each so that you can do whatever you like with these - but mainly I'm hoping you will help us complete more unit cards!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fpsgzojxnli25g7/a2Me-zCbFr

If you don't know how to use Photoshop this may be a little hard to figure out, but you can still help by seeing what people upload (including me, and double checking for mistakes). It's easy to screw up a weapon state line or a rules detail.

Tips: I have layers for all the different items and I've included the fonts in the Drop Box folder with the PSDs.

To add the unit picture:

1. Find a high quality picture of the unit (Google Image search with Large Image selected is your friend).

2. Copy the unit picture you found to the Clipboard.

3. Then go to the Unit Card you are working on and go into the Unit ID layer group and select the Polaroid layer.

4. Then click in the area where the current picture is located on the card using the Magic Wand Tool, this should highlight the full square where the pictre is.

5. Then go to Edit / Paste Special / Paste Into. This will ensure that the image never extends beyond the photo square. Now you can move it around, hit Control-T to enlarge, shrink or rotate it.

And of course, ask if you have any questions. Most importantly though, please upload the full PSD and the JPG so that other people can have the PSD (and the text and stat lines) to copy and paste into other cards. Plus, if I have all the PSD files I can update any cards that might need it in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Allies%20-%20Hell%20Boys%20-%2025AP.jpg

They look great. They have all the info I put on the cards I put together, but whereas mine are a zero on a scale of 1 to 10, yours are a 10. Looks great.

Super awesome. I'd love to see the Axis cards in the same format with all their special rules and such printed on the card. happy.gif

Outstanding work man that card came out great.I think the font size will be fine as long as you only do 4 cards on an 8 1/2 x 11 landscape. Any smaller and it will be an issue I think.

Very nice and very handy.

Awesome work!

Bring on the PSD files….I would love to play with them.

As someone working on his own "cheat sheet" set of cards, I gotta say I dig the design. On initial inspection, the only quibble I've got is swapping the position of the unit's name and it's Move/Unit/DC stats. It'll make the right card easier to find when rifling through the stack. Also curious as to how you plan to implement the +3 AP weapon options of the Battle Grenadier and "The Gunners" squads. It's something I've been struggling with on my own cards.

Other than that, I think you're onto a solid formula. Really good work!

Sigh. Why couldn't FFG have done something like this in the book? Still not a good value at that page count and that price; adding something like these unit cards in the back would've improved the value (so would making the reaction/suppression/et al markers smaller and squared).

On the other hand, I could well forsee a pack of cards in this sort of format sold as an accessory. Hello, FFG, are you reading this thread? Yoo hoo, here's a chance to make money, at least from me (and probably other people, too).

Love this!

I second swapping unit name with the M, T, DC stat-line locations.

I'd prefer the finished product to be the same size as the DT cards…

Aside from having already bought several extra hard card protector sleeves in that size, I have tired old eyes that prefer to not wear reading glasses at the game table.

That looks Superb, better than the DT ones.

Very nice.

Some suggestions, if I may:

- Move M/T/DC to the unused area above the weapon names

- Use the M/T/DC icons instead of text labels

- Move unit name to the file's tab - perhaps either just the fluff name (e.g, "Corps Officers") or the 'proper' name ("Heavy Ranger Command Squad")

- Page number included with rule name. While full rule text is nice, I don't think it's fully necessary. Perhaps list like in unit entries: rule name, page number, and specify if it only applies to a certain user. I definitely like inclusion of rules for the weapons. Suggest also including chained rules (i.e, how Radioman also grants Artillery Strike, etc)

- Not too picky about the size, but for maximum compatibility and printability, I suggest having them 4-up (2x2) in Landscape mode, using custom page size using the smaller dimensions of Letter and A4 (i.e, 11" wide, ~8.25" tall)

- Small typo: Core Officers should be Corps Officers

These are BEAUTIFUL, and aside from a few minor changes as have been suggested here, I can't see how FFG could make nicer ones, OR versions more in keeping with the aesthetic of the game.

One thing I'd REALLY like you NOT to change would be having the rule text on the cards. That was a SPOT ON instinct you had there. One of the big issues in this book, in my opinion, is lists of key words without definitions and just page numbers when there's clearly plenty of space in most areas to include at least a summary of the rule. As a teacher, I can tell you: Seldom is someone hurt by repetition. On the other hand, having to constantly flip back and forth over and over again from 'See Page @@' to a 'See Page @@' and then another 'See Page @@' is frustrating as all get out. And especially with the weapon special traits . . . which during my first play (before I got my own book), I didn't even KNOW about, because they're not listed ANYWHERE except in the weapon sections . . .

Nope, other than those minor tweaking issues, I LOVE these. Especially the rule summaries, and ESPECIALLY especially the weapon rule summaries.

GREAT WORK!

If these were available I'd run-not-walk to wherever I had to to get them! :)

A printer friendly version for us ink-impared cheapskates please bostezo.gif .

King Jareth said:

A printer friendly version for us ink-impared cheapskates please bostezo.gif .

Although these ones are WAAAY prettier than mine, and look much more professional, if you're interested in ones that are more printer-friendly (or just temporary ones until these prettier ones are all finished up), you can use the ones I created and uploaded here:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7EBY279BZSWNDk4ZU51V3REUEk

They don't look nearly as professional, as they are just copy / paste from the rulebook, but they do contain all the rules for special abilities / weapons, and are more ink-friendly.

Anyways - no intention on hijacking Rodney's thread here - his cards look fantastic and they might even replace my own when they're done.

I think they look great, and would only echo the idea of moving the Unit Name to the tab area and the movement & other stats down on the card.

PSD file please! I'd be happy to help populate things.

AMAZING and HANDY our group will surly love these ,please stop by and join out yahoo group we love to have any fans from this site and our files section is great for hosting this items ; )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/NEAT-43/

Great job and thanks for picking up the slack FFG left behind. Really, these should have been put out when Warfare hit the shelves; c'mon FFG! corazon_roto.gif

Okay, I've moved some things around based on suggestions and continuing to add some visual fluff.

The content is not accurate - I wanted to show what it looks like with all the weapon lines filled in and also when there are Upgrade Unit options.

In the PSD, a person would just turn these layers off as required.

I finally had a chance to print one of these out and while they are certainly readable, the print is VERY small. I'm thinking I might enlarge these. The idea is that they help gameplay, and if I'm having to constantly put the cards up to my face, that might not be so good

JXLrmn

Looks good! Maybe get rid of the black stripe lines in the abilities section. They are a little noisy with the text. Alternatively, you could shift their color to pale blue. That would make them less prominent.

I'm sure FFG will be grateful for the design experiment!

I agree with the comment about removing the lines between the abilities. I would also shrink the size of the ability/skills text. Possibly changing the font too. It looks very busy w/ the ability labels on top of each other like that. You'd get more room for the explanation text as well. You could also reduce the black border by 1/2 to give you more real estate. Also if you shopped out the paperclipped "photo" behind the main photo of the units, you could slide their picture all the away to the right edge, this would give you more room as well for the abilities.

Much better placement of the various data!

536RodneySmith said:

I finally had a chance to print one of these out and while they are certainly readable, the print is VERY small. I'm thinking I might enlarge these. The idea is that they help gameplay, and if I'm having to constantly put the cards up to my face, that might not be so good

Especially for me, as I'm far-sighted without my reading glasses. I definitely vote to make them the same size as the DT cards.

I also agree with KevinBakon's recommendation to lose the horizontal lines in the abilities section.

Other than those two issues, it looks amazing! Fix those two issues and I'd say you are set to go! Looking forward to the finished product! Thank you for the time and effort, and for implementing the community feedback.

Looks awesome! I would remove the descriptions of the special abilities and place the page numbers instead. If you want the full rule ,then have it listed on the back page. Man it looks really awesome.

Where can I get some Axis ones please?

Ace job, squire. 5/5.

thejughead said:

Looks awesome! I would remove the descriptions of the special abilities and place the page numbers instead. If you want the full rule ,then have it listed on the back page. Man it looks really awesome.

Do you mean have it listed on the other side of the card? That would work, but if the back sides are identical, these cards could be used for random deployment. Not to be contradictory, but my favorite bit about these cards is that the relevant information is right there in front of me.

I've got to agree with Mr. Bacon, as I've said on this thread earlier. On these cards the rules are right there, easy to read, no need to go flipping through the rulebook. The number one issue I have with the rulebook is the organization of information. Don't get me wrong, the 'See Page @@' is very helpful, and I'm appreciative. But I'd ALSO like the info to be in more than one place, especially if it would fit, which it would. The fact that you need to flip the pages of the book a MINIMUM of 3 times to get the full picture of each unit is epicly disappointing to me. These cards fix ALL of that, and in a great, easy to read, aesthetically pleasing package.

I think the cards are FANTASTIC just the way they are. Thanks again! And I'd love to take a shot at helping flesh them out, if you need it!

~Craig