WFRP Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds II

By neilgfoster, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Daedalum said:

I haven't confirmed whether extensions are automaticly available to players connecting to the GM or if they too must install the extension. Any FG people able to answer that one for me?

There is no need to put this extension on the player's FG install. When the player's connect to the campaign, they download all extensions enabled for that FG campaign (even ruleset data if they don't have the ruleset installed locally) and the downloaded data is stored in a cache directory locally.

Trenloe said:

There is no need to put this extension on the player's FG install. When the player's connect to the campaign, they download all extensions enabled for that FG campaign (even ruleset data if they don't have the ruleset installed locally) and the downloaded data is stored in a cache directory locally.

Thanks!

Version 1.1 in Final Release Testing. Cool :D

Great work Daedalum. If you dont have any objections, I will probably look at integrating your fonts into the next version ruleset.

Version 1.1 is nearly ready. This release adds a few new features, namely Inventions & Runes from Black Fire Pass plus Followers (Pets & Horses) from The Adventurers toolkit and Omens of War.

This release will also address the issue with allowing you to enter both Reckless and Conservative recharge values for action cards. Unfortunatley this will require a change to your library module - but to try and make it as painless as possible I have written a small utility which will make the changes for you. I am just writing up the upgrade instructions now.

Cheers! No objections :) Let me know if you prefer the text to be a clearer font, and just use Dominican for symbols and as a nice larger point burgundy header font.

Hi Daedalum,

Thanks for the great work !

The Symbol fonts are AMAZING !! It's so real on the card it's Beautiful !!

Some issue : The text is too hard to read ... The Bold is ... not readable ...

Can we have the same symbol but with the normal font of FG 2 plz ?

Ok, I am an absolute newb concerning Fantasy Grounds II.

The work that neil did for this game combined with my desire to play this game has prompted me to pick up fantasy grounds but now I realize that none of the cards and such are there. (or if they are I sure cant figure out how to find them)

I am willing to do the work to add the cards but have no idea where to start.

It's a very long work :)

Neil give us a pdf with the ruleset to explain how to add the cards in the module.

once you have Notepad++ installed and have read Neils pdf you will be ready to extract the WFRP v3 - Library.mod using FG PEM Utility and then open up the common.xml in Notepad++ and start adding stuff.

I'd recommend getting the Player and GM Guides as PDFs as it will make life easier. Though as another thread points out, the Creature Guide PDF doesn't allow copy/paste. I'm just entering what is really essential from the core at first (wounds, conditions, Insanities) Then skills and talents. Everything else (Careers, Actions, creature, locations etc) will be on an as needed basis as we play. Though I will put place holder entries in from products not in the guides by coy/pasting from the component list. Time permitting I'll go back and add everything, but I think it s best to get up and playing as I don't have a lot of time for data entry.

Its a big job though, only for the keen GM.

I am creating the xml with a program I made for this purpose, is still in alpha release, but it serves for something

Follow the link for those who want to use it .... accept feedback: http://www.mediafire.com/?5fvdeo1f8u85mcv

The use of it is pretty simple .... Ctrl + N, create the item you want, then CTRL + S. After all items are created, CTRL + SHIFT + X to create the XML.

it has a bug that I could not correct that, if the application gives an error, you lose everything that you created during the session, then I advise that after creating the items, before exporting the XML (the biggest cause of errors), close the program and reopen it

Going to start transferring action cards tonight.

Kinda funny in a sad way. Most of us here own the majority of the books/materials. But, in order to protect those materials from those that dont and keep the ruleset available on Fantasy Grounds, we each have to enter thousands of lines of data.

Sigh.

:) Is ironic, I've bought all this three times over; as cards, as guides and as pdfs. And now I have it as my own personal FG database. Although this isn't how the game was designed to be played, I think you will find the result very satisfactory. I recall someone else on these forum observed that this game would lend itself very well to augmented play. Funny thing is that I enjoy accessing this stuff in all four formats.

All, I have released Version 1.1 of the ruleset. This version can be downloaded by following the links on the original post.

This version adds Inventions and Runes from Black Fire Pass, Followers (Pets and Horses) from The Adventurers Toolkit/Omens of War, plus some other new features and fixes:

• Added missing scroll control to career description
  • Added current recharge value for insanities and conditions
  • Added recharge token to desktop
  • Added conservative/recharge values for actions
  • Added code to automatically upgrade a campaign
  • Updated template library to to reflect changes to action cards
  • Added missing scroll control from item description
  • Added Inventions from Black Fire Pass
  • Added Runes from Black Fire Pass
  • Added ability to track followers (pets, horses)
  • Added example followers to template library

This version adds the ability to specifiy both Conservative and Reckless recharge values for action cards. Unfortunaley, this change means a change to the database format used by the ruleset.

For your existing campaigns, the new ruleset will automatically update your campaign to the latest version. I advise making a backup of your campaigns before upgrading the ruleset just in case of any problems.

For your library modules I have created a simple tool which will perform the required changes. Instructions are provided in the ruleset documentation PDF. Again, backup your library module before upgrading to prevent any loss of work.

Daedalum said:

Cheers! No objections :) Let me know if you prefer the text to be a clearer font, and just use Dominican for symbols and as a nice larger point burgundy header font.

I prefer the text to be a clearer font, and just use Dominican for symbol.

Yeah, I'll look into creating a set with a clearer font set, with dominican as only symbols and perhaps header.

Any suggestions of a free font that looks good as tiny bitmaps welcome

What method did you folks use to get the character/monster token images into fg? Is there a site somewhere that has these images already?

I like the actual art on the individual pieces and short of scanning each one wasn't looking forward to such a lengthy process.

Any news about the new font ?

Look at Dafont.com for more fonts

No idea but hot **** is it taking forever to load all these cards into the toolset. I have enough in that it is starting to look nice but my eyes are beginning to bug out of my head.

It looks like my group will be trying out this ruleset very soon. Life events are making it harder for us to meet in person, but we can probably meet for 90 -120 minutes online to supplement.

Definitely not looking forward to entering the data in (did that for the original WFRP rulesets back in the day - ugh!). Wondering how I might better manage the whole thing - in lieu of entering all data. I.e. maybe just letting the players take notes on criticals drawn, etc.

Thoughts anyone?

If I get time I'll do a new set of fonts this week

For minimum play I'd advise at least entering wound card data and basic stats for the creatures to be encountered then use the FG roller and character sheet and combat tracker but run all actions etc on cards and chits. Would require everyone had access to their own stuff though

I think the ruleset works fine without the need to create a library and enter all the cards.

During a session I let the players draw their own criticals/conditions and keep track of their character details any way they want. They can either create a card directly on their character sheet (entering just the name for sake of speed) or have their cards next to their laptop as they play. The players then take responsiblity for ensuring that they apply any effects for these cards to their dice rolls - but that is no different from when playing sat around a table.

The only thing I ask the players to keep up to date in FG are the details that are seen in the initiative tracker - Wounds, Stress, Fatigue, etc. This helps me as a GM to keep an eye on how 'Healthy' the players characters are, allowing me to adjust the difficulty of encounters if they are finding things too easy or hard.

At the end of a session we dedicate a bit of time for the players to bring their character sheets up to date in FG. This ensures that we have a record of each character ready for the next session.

I think this works pretty well - Careers, Action cards do not need updating or adding too often. Dedicating some time at the beginning and end of a session to allow players to enter these details means they are available throughout the session. I have never bothered entering any of these details into the library as Im just too lazy!

If a player does not have access to the cards, the as GM you could setup their action cards in advance so that they have a reference during a session. The GM could then draw Critical/Conditions for them and read out the effects. It would then be down to both the GM and Player to remember to apply these effects when required.

As for Creatures and NPCS - as GM I always set-up these details in advance, but enter them straight into the campaign and only enter their basic stats. I rarley bother entering action cards details for creatures - as GM I simply use the actual cards and chits to keep track of these while playing.

Oh, and in addition...

When I first created the ruleset and ran the first couple of sessions, I tried to use the ruleset to track absolutely everything. This ultimately just ended up slowing the game to a crawl - using a laptop and FG is just not a fast or as easy as having the cards to hand for reference. Resist the temptation to enter everything and keep things simple to start. If you find after your first session that you would like more information to be tracked by FG then just add it as and when you need.

neilgfoster said:

Oh, and in addition...

When I first created the ruleset and ran the first couple of sessions, I tried to use the ruleset to track absolutely everything. This ultimately just ended up slowing the game to a crawl - using a laptop and FG is just not a fast or as easy as having the cards to hand for reference. Resist the temptation to enter everything and keep things simple to start. If you find after your first session that you would like more information to be tracked by FG then just add it as and when you need.

Although my goal is to enter everything in to satisfy my ocd, I plan to start small and expand as needed. Most of my players do not have the materials. I as GM am the primary owner. I know most of them personally but until we have more experience, the fg toolset is my tool for explaining it. If things go well, I expect many of them may purchase the Player's Guide but I highly doubt they will expand beyond that point. As for the rules, I will start small and expand only as needed.

For example, once we use the toolset to play, I plan to start with what I consider the basics. In fact, the first session will consist of incomplete characters as they gain an understanding of the system and hopefully by the end of session one, we will be able to complete character generation:

Character sheets.
Basic Actions
Stances
Nonspellcasting careers
Wounds/Critical Wounds
Talents
Stress/Fatigue

I am hoping to record this first instance and send it to gitzmans group if they want it . I wont post it up unless all of my players are ok with it. It will depend on how well I can keep us on track and edit out internal jokes as needed. Unlike DnD, this is a new system to them, I expect there will be more questions and less off topic chatter than usual.

Great - thanks for the feedback!

Most of my players (3 of 4) have the core set and a few of the expansions. I think I'll keep all of the encounter level stuff on paper/cards in front of me at my desk, and deliver the details of crits, insanities, etc. as they pop up. Over time, I'll likely create condition cards, etc. eventually adding in everything I own (which is everything so far).

Looking forward to playing with the ruleset further. Thanks for making this happen Neilgfoster!

cd8dman said:

I am hoping to record this first instance and send it to gitzmans group if they want it.

I would be interested in seeing that as it would be good to learn about how other people are using the ruleset. As I created the ruleset I know how to use it in the way it was 'designed' - but that may not be the same way as others who are coming at it fresh. It would be interesting to observe other peoples sessions in action so I can learn from them and see if there are areas in which the ruleset could be improved.

As always, feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need any assistance.

I do have one question. Is it possible to disable the players ability to read creature stats?