WFRP Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds II

By neilgfoster, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Is there any word about Android/iPad support for this tool so far?

Nisses said:

Is there any word about Android/iPad support for this tool so far?

There has been some posts on the FG forums about this - last I checked the developers said that it is something that they want to look into in the future.

Neil:

I found those posts as well I think, but they were dated 2009
I figured it wouldn't hurt to check if anybody could find anything more recent :)

Neil

I can't seem to replicate the issue with the manage characters from local to server. Must have been a 1 time thing.

More questions for you it seems though.

• What is the <enter race details here> box on the creature cards? I'm not sure what racial info is supposed to go in that spot.
  • I can't seem to get the tokens size to match up to the character portraits even though the pictures are exactly the same size. Any tips on how to get this to work?
  • I can't quite figure out how the actions portion of the creatures work. the info I type in there doesn't appear.

Excited for your updates, Heroes Call can't come fast enough, I want the new dice features.

Neil, thanks a lot for creating this ruleset. It looks awesome! I learned about FG2 (and will soon be playing WFRP2 through it... oh irony) because of your ruleset. This may also save me from giving up on WFRP3 since I can't find a local group to play with, and my family group only meet every few months as we all live far away.

I started playing with the demo version of FG2 and your ruleset, and tentatively created my players' characters in it. I have a few questions/feedback:

1. When a specialization is created within FG2 (not in the library.xml), is there a way then to drag/drop that specialization to create a dice pool which automatically would add a white die? Is that working if I create the specialization in the library.xml?
  2. Is there a way to edit defense/soak values directly? For example, the troll slayer career ability gives a +1 Defense/Soak, but I can't seem to change the values manually.
  3. When a character become stressed, fatigued, or strained, it would be great if first it was announced in the chat box (for the GM and other players), and second if misfortune dice were automatically added to any checks based on those characteristics.
  4. When a player edits a value manually (e.g. fortune) by highlighting and changing its number, rather than dragging, it would be great if it could show in the chat box of the GM. This would prevent players from incorrectly adding fortune points to their characters without the GM knowing.
  5. When rolling initiative, is there a way to pick up the number of successes and move then to the iniative tracker. Otherwise is there a way players can roll for initiative automatically?
  6. Are shortcuts currently working? I tried to create a shortcut for a weapon skill dice pool, but it kept rolling it without taking in consideration stances.

I have not yet explored how to edit the library.xml and create actions, wounds, etc... I am a little afraid of it, to be honest, just because of the sheer amount of work, but we will see.

In any case, thanks again for your work on this ruleset. It has amazing potential!

Cheers

Philippe/Ceodryn

cd8dman said:

• What is the <enter race details here> box on the creature cards? I'm not sure what racial info is supposed to go in that spot.
  • I can't seem to get the tokens size to match up to the character portraits even though the pictures are exactly the same size. Any tips on how to get this to work?
  • I can't quite figure out how the actions portion of the creatures work. the info I type in there doesn't appear.

• The race details are for entering the NPC's race, e.g. "Orc", "Beastman" etc.
  • The only thing that I can think of is that Portrait images are resized by Fantasy Grounds, while tokens are not. The optimum size of portraits for this ruleset is 96x96 pixels - if your portrait image is different than this then it will be scaled down/up. Tokens are not scaled, so you will always see them at their original size. I always ensure that both my portraits and tokens are at the 96x96 size so that they match up.
  • I would suggest having a look at the 'Day Late, Shilling Short' module that I created. If you unzip the module and look in the db.xml file, you will find examples of creatures and npcs with all their details filled out correctly, including action cards. The format of a creature in an adventure module is identical to those in a library module.

Ceodryn said:

1. When a specialization is created within FG2 (not in the library.xml), is there a way then to drag/drop that specialization to create a dice pool which automatically would add a white die? Is that working if I create the specialization in the library.xml?
  2. Is there a way to edit defense/soak values directly? For example, the troll slayer career ability gives a +1 Defense/Soak, but I can't seem to change the values manually.
  3. When a character become stressed, fatigued, or strained, it would be great if first it was announced in the chat box (for the GM and other players), and second if misfortune dice were automatically added to any checks based on those characteristics.
  4. When a player edits a value manually (e.g. fortune) by highlighting and changing its number, rather than dragging, it would be great if it could show in the chat box of the GM. This would prevent players from incorrectly adding fortune points to their characters without the GM knowing.
  5. When rolling initiative, is there a way to pick up the number of successes and move then to the iniative tracker. Otherwise is there a way players can roll for initiative automatically?
  6. Are shortcuts currently working? I tried to create a shortcut for a weapon skill dice pool, but it kept rolling it without taking in consideration stances.

1. This feature has been added and will be in the next version of the ruleset, which I plan to release after I have got my hands on Hero's Call.

2. Not at the moment - the Defence and Soak values are automatically calculated from the items in your inventory. You can set an item to being 'Armour' and assign a defense and soak value. I hadn't realised that some careers also give a bonus - I will add this in for the next version. Thanks for pointing that out!

3. The latest version (v1.2) does show some indicators on the character sheet and initiative tracker for when a character is stressed/fatigued. In the next version, I have added the automatic addition of the misortune dice when creating a dice pool.

4. I will look to add that in to the ruleset.

5. I have looked into this, but haven't found out a way to make it work smootly yet. I am still looking into it so will hopefully come up with something for a future version.

6. The shortcuts to dice pools are only a 'snapshot' of when the dice pool was created, so do not get updated to reflect a change in stance - Unfortunely this is how FG works. However, in the next version I have found a work-around for this - I have added support to the dice pool builder so that you can drag and drop the window shortcut instead (the small sigmars comet icon). This allows me to rebuild the dice pool every time to take into account stance - this then works well with the shortcut bar.

neilgfoster said:

cd8dman said:

• The race details are for entering the NPC's race, e.g. "Orc", "Beastman" etc.
  • The only thing that I can think of is that Portrait images are resized by Fantasy Grounds, while tokens are not. The optimum size of portraits for this ruleset is 96x96 pixels - if your portrait image is different than this then it will be scaled down/up. Tokens are not scaled, so you will always see them at their original size. I always ensure that both my portraits and tokens are at the 96x96 size so that they match up.

Ok, thanks and yes that was the issue. My tokens were being resized by the portrait piece.

neilgfoster said:

1. This feature has been added and will be in the next version of the ruleset, which I plan to release after I have got my hands on Hero's Call.

2. Not at the moment - the Defence and Soak values are automatically calculated from the items in your inventory. You can set an item to being 'Armour' and assign a defense and soak value. I hadn't realised that some careers also give a bonus - I will add this in for the next version. Thanks for pointing that out!

3. The latest version (v1.2) does show some indicators on the character sheet and initiative tracker for when a character is stressed/fatigued. In the next version, I have added the automatic addition of the misortune dice when creating a dice pool.

4. I will look to add that in to the ruleset.

5. I have looked into this, but haven't found out a way to make it work smootly yet. I am still looking into it so will hopefully come up with something for a future version.

6. The shortcuts to dice pools are only a 'snapshot' of when the dice pool was created, so do not get updated to reflect a change in stance - Unfortunely this is how FG works. However, in the next version I have found a work-around for this - I have added support to the dice pool builder so that you can drag and drop the window shortcut instead (the small sigmars comet icon). This allows me to rebuild the dice pool every time to take into account stance - this then works well with the shortcut bar.

Thanks Neil! Looking forward to the next release then!

Regarding pt 2, I went back and indeed icons on the fatigue/stress counters show the character being stressed or fatigued. Very cool! A nice to have feature for the future, but not critical, would be to have also a message appear in the chat for all players and the GM to know when it happens. It would help the roleplay, the characters would realize their comrade is not doing too well, and would help new players/new GMs who aren't used yet to the stress/fatigue system.

I have started to work editing the library, and wow, it's actually very easy. Thanks for the examples you provided! I am confused however about lines within the "item" class:

• <isidentified type="number">0</isidentified>
  • <magic type="formattedtext">
  • <p>Enter identified description here!</p>
  • </magic>

What is the "isidentified" for?

Thanks again! As I am going to work on editing the library in the next few days, and play test the ruleset, I am sure I'll have more feedback.

Cheers

Philippe/Ceodryn

Hi Ceodryn,

You have actually found a mistake in the example library module! I changed the format of items when Black Fire Pass introduced Runes but must have forgot to update the library.

I have updated the library and re-uploaded to the website. You will now see that <isidentified> and <magic> tags have been removed and replaced with the ability to specify a number of magical runes for an item instead.

Thanks Neil! I got the file. There is another thing I am confused about, the code for actions (any action):

<examplemeleeone>
[...]
<requirements type="formattedtext">
<p>Enter the action requirements here!</p>
</requirements>
<description type="formattedtext">
<p>Enter the action description here!</p>
</description>
<conservative>
<recharge type="number">0</recharge>
<p>Enter the conservative details here!</p>
</description>
</conservative>
<reckless>
<recharge type="number">0</recharge>
<p>Enter the reckless details here!</p>
</description>
</reckless>
</examplemeleeone>

The 1st description field, right after requirements is slightly puzzling. Since action cards don't really give a description of what they do, I thought instead I would enter the special or effect fields of an action card. However, I realized that for many actions the special/effect fields are different whether it's the conservative or reckless side.

I am curious then, how are you using the description field? For now, I have entered a wording of my creation to try explaining the action. I am however thinking of letting the field empty.

Thanks
Philippe/Ceodryn

Hi again Ceodryn,

Yes, that description field is meant to detail the effects of an action, however, you are correct that at present I have only one node to store this information, when it could be different for conservative/reckless stances.

As I have added more and more features, I have come to the realisation that pretty much all of the details for an action card (apart from the name!) can differ based on stance.

My plans are that after the next release, I will focus purely on sorting out the action cards - this will include making them look like actual action cards, plus resolve the missing details between conservative and reckless stances.

Whenever I make a fundamental change like this, I provide a tool that upgrades your library to the latest format. The ruleset also automatically upgrades any of your existing campaigns as well.

As a work around, just put the information in like this:

<p>Conservative: This action does something cool in a conservative way etc. </p>

<p>Reckless: This action does something cool in a reckless way etc. </p>

Then it separates the lines and is fairly easy to read.

Cheers,

cd

neilgfoster said:

My plans are that after the next release, I will focus purely on sorting out the action cards - this will include making them look like actual action cards, plus resolve the missing details between conservative and reckless stances.

Whenever I make a fundamental change like this, I provide a tool that upgrades your library to the latest format. The ruleset also automatically upgrades any of your existing campaigns as well.

Thanks! That's great to hear. I am really impressed by the ruleset, and can't wait to test it out with my players (a few weeks away).

Cd8dman, yes that's pretty much what I first did, but then I just left it blank and put the special/effect under the conservative/reckless description as a <p></p> field.

Neil,

This is so minor, it's barely worth mentioning but while entering in Severe injuries today I noticed the threshold field missing from severe injury example 2. Surprised I even noticed it as I usually delete the examples once I have one entered in.

~cd

Is there a better way to debug errors in the library.mod than what I am doing?

Here is how I do it:

1. I create a bunch of actions/careers/etc... in the client.xml of the library. After packaging the content, I move it to the right place in FG2
  2. I open FG2, create a WFRP3 campaign, wait for it to load, load the library and get 1 error
  3. I go and correct that one error in the client.xml, and start all over from 1

Entering the actions/careers/etc is actually pleasant, it teaches me more about the game... but the debugging part is very long since, despite being very careful, I will have xml code errors.

If there is an easier way to do it, let me know?

Cheers

Philippe/Ceodryn

cd8dman said:

Neil,

This is so minor, it's barely worth mentioning but while entering in Severe injuries today I noticed the threshold field missing from severe injury example 2. Surprised I even noticed it as I usually delete the examples once I have one entered in.

~cd

What is the "threshold" representing? A critical wound only has a name/effect/severity in the GM's guide.

Something added with Severe Critical wounds in Omens of War.
Basically it's a rather permanent effect that only comes into play if the combined severity of all your other critical wounds is higher than the threshold value.

For example a severed limb is actually permanently lost when the threshold is exceeded.

Ceodryn said:

Is there a better way to debug errors in the library.mod than what I am doing?

Here is how I do it:

1. I create a bunch of actions/careers/etc... in the client.xml of the library. After packaging the content, I move it to the right place in FG2
  2. I open FG2, create a WFRP3 campaign, wait for it to load, load the library and get 1 error
  3. I go and correct that one error in the client.xml, and start all over from 1

Entering the actions/careers/etc is actually pleasant, it teaches me more about the game... but the debugging part is very long since, despite being very careful, I will have xml code errors.

If there is an easier way to do it, let me know?

Cheers

Philippe/Ceodryn

I use Notepad++ when editing the library - its free and you can download a XML Tools plugin that includes validation and syntax checks. I find that this catches most of issues with the XML, saving me the same problem that you are having.

Names can also vary between stances, actually. I know of at least one that does so. It's in the Lure of Power set. Conservative, the card is named Good Witch Hunter. Reckless, it's named Bad Witch Hunter. The effects also differ, obviously, as do the requirements (Good requires you use it after an Intimidate check, Bad requires after Charm)

Though I suspect that there aren't many that change the name.

Neil,

Under actions, you have Blessings, Melee, Ranged, Social, Spells, and Support. If I understand it correctly, all social actions are support actions. Is this division a personal preference thing or did I miss a rule somewhere?

Also, is there a way to separate the creature actions from the character actions?

As always, keep up the good work.

cd

cd8dman said:

Neil,

Under actions, you have Blessings, Melee, Ranged, Social, Spells, and Support. If I understand it correctly, all social actions are support actions. Is this division a personal preference thing or did I miss a rule somewhere?

Also, is there a way to separate the creature actions from the character actions?

As always, keep up the good work.

cd

Yes, social actions are support actions, but I thought that it made sense to track them seperatley, making it easier to organise things.

To seperate creature actions and character actions in a library, you can add additional levels into the structure of the xml file. For example, if you look at Blessings in the example library, you will see that I added additional levels so that you can group the actions by Faith. The library supports any number of these levels.

Hope that makes sense. If not, then PM me and I can give you some better examples.

neilgfoster said:

Yes, social actions are support actions, but I thought that it made sense to track them seperatley, making it easier to organise things.

To seperate creature actions and character actions in a library, you can add additional levels into the structure of the xml file. For example, if you look at Blessings in the example library, you will see that I added additional levels so that you can group the actions by Faith. The library supports any number of these levels.

Hope that makes sense. If not, then PM me and I can give you some better examples.

That is nice to know. I have since changed the social category to creature, and then duplicated the melee, ranged, and support under the creature section. I haven't really started entering blessings or spells so I haven't had to worry about them. I currently have no magic users as characters in my game.

Ok, very stupid question.... but hoe does one PM someone on this forum?

Good to know we can add more subfolders to the library. I basically added all minor spells before the section starting with each order, but I'll go back and create a section for those minor spells.

Ceodryn said:

Ok, very stupid question.... but hoe does one PM someone on this forum?

You must first send a friend request. Once accepted, you can then send personal messages through the 'My Friends' page under your profile.