WFRP Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds II

By neilgfoster, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Ok, today was my first tryout of FG2 WFRP3 with one of my player (my wife). She was very impressed by the ruleset! She felt it may even make it easier to play WFRP3 through FG2 than at a table. Our group of rookie RPG players (sister and brother in-law) are still confused with all the bits and pieces of WFRP3 and the recharges rules, but the ruleset allows the GM to help players resolve actions, fatigue, stress and wound management more smoothly than around a table.

I have now coded everything needed to manage PCs and basic play: all criticals, mutations, diseases, insanities, miscasts, conditions, armour, weapons and careers, talents, actions for my specific players characters. Now, I'll move on to code locations, creatures and learn to create maps and tokens.

Here are coding/test play feedback, these are not critical, but some may be possible to implement, some not.:

• My first time trying FG2 WFRP3 with my wife as player, I attempted to force load the library.mod to her while in FG2. However, she had a spider web icon appearing on her side, and couldn’t open the library. I resolved it by emailing her the library.mod that she installed inside FG2. Is that the normal way to do it, i.e. players need first to download and place the library.mod in the right folder?
  • Ranged and Melee weapon items are missing the quality & weapon group field. For now, I simply entered those under description, and it’s even better as I could put the entire explanation of each quality.
  • It would be great, in the future, for each player to be able to create a mini window (like in FG2 other rule sets) where all rechargeable actions, rechargeable talents, rechargeable conditions can be moved. Then, if a button could allow removing 1 recharge from all those at once, it would save lots of time at the end of each player turn.
  • When an ability, weapon quality, etc… has a die mentioned, it would be great to be able to grab that die and drag it to the die bar. For example, "Nature Bond" says to add a fortune die to nature lore checks. The player could then grab the die in the card and drag it. I am not sure whether it's however possible to code that within the ruleset.
  • When socketing talents, often when socketing for the 1st time during an FG2 WFRP3 session, that first socketing talent don’t socket and get duplicated. Trying again right after works and the duplicated talent just need to be deleted. It’s not a big deal, but it’s a weird behavior.
  • Drag/drop recharge tokens on talent currently doesn’t work.
  • Minor feedback (thanks the wife for pointing this out ;) ), but the challenge dice could use more red hue to make it more purple, as on some computer screens/lights, it looks almost as blue as the characteristic die.

The ruleset is amazing, especially when all the bits and pieces are coded and characters takes life. I feel it will also be very helpful to use even at a table (to manage NPCs and wounds).

I plan to show it to all my family players over Easter, and hopefully get to play WFRP3 more often after that, through it.

Thanks!

Ceodryn/Philippe

Ceodryn,

Glad to hear that the ruleset is working well for you. Thanks for all the feedback - I am not getting much chance to run many games at the moment so feedback from people using the ruleset is great for me and helps ensure that its moving in the right direction.

With regards to the feedback you mentioned:

• You should not need to email the library to your players, it should be able to be controlled by the GM - I will look into this issue
  • I will look at adding the weapon group and qualities properties to items
  • The mini window for a character sheet is already something that I want to do, so will get round to it eventually. As for recharge - the next version of the ruleset has a button on the initiative tracker that when clicked, automatically removes recharge from every PC and NPC in the encounter. The GM can use this to quickly remove recharge at the end of each round.
  • I havent seen the issue with the talent slots, but will look into it
  • I havent implemented drag and drop for talents yet, as only socketed talents have recharge. I will put this on the list for a future version
  • Yes, I had noticed that the purple dice is not very purple! I will look at changing this as well.

Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming!

neilgfoster said:

• The mini window for a character sheet is already something that I want to do, so will get round to it eventually. As for recharge - the next version of the ruleset has a button on the initiative tracker that when clicked, automatically removes recharge from every PC and NPC in the encounter. The GM can use this to quickly remove recharge at the end of each round.

Just to point out that this is going to cause horrible problems. Each player removes recharge at the end of their own turn, not at the end of the round. If you have one player who does it 'manually' and then the GM clicks the button too...

Also there are various actions and talents that increase/decrease the number of recharge on actions, you really need to have it so each player has an individual 'remove recharge' button so they can know (for example) which defences are available for use during the enemies' turns, which may come after their turn but before the end of the round (when the GM would 'press the button').

Until you find time to program that in I would not add a 'remove one from all' button, it's going to cause more problems than it's worth (And I understand you're busy and would be happy to wait, not being a code money and with no way to help)

You could always tie the recharge to the next initiative increment, ie: hit the Next Initiative button and that will auto deduct 1 recharge for all actions / talents with recharge for the last acting PC/NPC.

Instead of a global refresh tie the function to an individuals particular action in a round?

Alp

alp said:

You could always tie the recharge to the next initiative increment, ie: hit the Next Initiative button and that will auto deduct 1 recharge for all actions / talents with recharge for the last acting PC/NPC.

Instead of a global refresh tie the function to an individuals particular action in a round?

Alp

That wouldn't work as any PC can act on any of the PC's initiative, for example the dwarf could go on the Elf's initiative if the group decides that is more advantageous to them (and the same goes for the GM's NPCs too).

The current version of the ruleset already allows a player to remove one recharge token from any action/talent that currently has recharge. The player can right-click on their character portrait, or their entry in the initiative tracker, and an option will be shown that allows them to remove recharge.

My thoughts on having a button that removes recharge from all actors in an encounter was that it would help speed things up a little if players didnt have to remember to remove this themselves. Matchstickman is right though - I didnt think of the situation where, in the same round, the fact that recharge has not been removed could cause a problem.

Best example is the one Matchstickman gave: A players active defense has 1 recharge token left, which will should be removed at the end of his turn. If it isnt removed until the end of the round, then the player cannot use that active defense in response to a NPC who goes later in the round as they think the action is still recharging.

I avoided trying to automatically remove recharge when initiative moves to the next person as this is just as prone to error if the GM accidentally clicks the wrong character, or characters start going out-of-order.

I think I will take out the remove 'recharge from everyone button'. Allowing the players to perform this themselves is the safest way to ensure that they can quickly remove recharge only when they are meant to.

Thanks for pointing that out Matchstickman!

Wish I could have done it before you spent your time adding it in in the first place!

Can will keep the remove active players tracking tokens 'auto after active players End Turn Phase' As an option?

I like it automated on the active player level.

neilgfoster said:

The current version of the ruleset already allows a player to remove one recharge token from any action/talent that currently has recharge. The player can right-click on their character portrait, or their entry in the initiative tracker, and an option will be shown that allows them to remove recharge.

Wow, I had not realized that existed. That's what I was meaning! Just tried it, very cool, it removes it from actions/talents/conditions at once. Perfect!

I am glad though that the confusion helped. So, while the GM button to remove all isn't possible, it'll be great for the GM to have a button to remove a recharge from all NPCs/Creature at the end of a round.

Thanks again!

Ceodryn

Hi Neil,

Im trying to figure out how to create the Enhanced Cards in my player's library (I already cut your library into three different library modules).

Is there an EnhancedCard class cause it is a new card type (like melee, ranged etc.. card type) ?

How do you want us to handle that special type of cards ?

ummaner said:

Hi Neil,

Im trying to figure out how to create the Enhanced Cards in my player's library (I already cut your library into three different library modules).

Is there an EnhancedCard class cause it is a new card type (like melee, ranged etc.. card type) ?

How do you want us to handle that special type of cards ?

There is no special class for Enchanced cards. I did think about adding one, but thought that may end up confusing things even more with another type of action card. My thoughts were that you would create this just as a new Melee action, entering the special details in the conservative/reckless description.

I would be interested to here how well you would think that would work, and am open to suggestions if you you can think of a good way to handle them.

Ok, so here is what I will do.

As I m a huge fan of separating things so that all cards dont appear like an endless list I already create some new <entries> </entries> in your module. I did so many organisation in the librairy modules (I have currently three) that it will be too hard to me to explain it in clear english (Im french ;) )

I ll just add 'Enhanced Cards' entries in the Action Card entries (i.e. Basic Actions, Melee, Ranged, Social, Support, Spell, Blessings and Enhanced Card)

In the Enhanced Card entries, i ll add the 6 cards (4 Melee class type and 2 Ranged class Type so that they appear in the right 'Cards type' on the PC actions cards sheet). I suppose there will be Social, Spell, Blessing Enhanced Cards someday.

Hope i made myself clear :D

ummaner said:

[...] I suppose there will be Social, Spell, Blessing Enhanced Cards someday.

There are, in the Hero's Call box. :)

ummaner said:

Ok, so here is what I will do.

As I m a huge fan of separating things so that all cards dont appear like an endless list I already create some new <entries> </entries> in your module. I did so many organisation in the librairy modules (I have currently three) that it will be too hard to me to explain it in clear english (Im french ;) )

I ll just add 'Enhanced Cards' entries in the Action Card entries (i.e. Basic Actions, Melee, Ranged, Social, Support, Spell, Blessings and Enhanced Card)

In the Enhanced Card entries, i ll add the 6 cards (4 Melee class type and 2 Ranged class Type so that they appear in the right 'Cards type' on the PC actions cards sheet). I suppose there will be Social, Spell, Blessing Enhanced Cards someday.

Hope i made myself clear :D

Makes perfect sense ummaner!

P.S. > In the next version of the ruleset, I am adding the ability to be able to change the language of the ruleset using a simple extension. That means I should be able to produce extensions which change all of the text to say, French. I may need some help with that as my French is very bad!

Do you mean 'translating the technical names' ? You mean like translating Conservative, Reckless, Fatigue, Stress etc ... which appear in the ruleset ?

Or do you want us to be able to change the card text langage with a button ? I mean like having for each card the german, english and french texts and switching German, English, French like in a langage rotation choice button ?

Oh as I re-read for the fourth time your message, I suppose it is my first setence ;)

Well, I ll be really happy to translate the technical terms in French if you wish. Do you have a list of all the term ? I'll sent my email in PM

ummaner said:

Do you mean 'translating the technical names' ? You mean like translating Conservative, Reckless, Fatigue, Stress etc ... which appear in the ruleset ?

Or do you want us to be able to change the card text langage with a button ? I mean like having for each card the german, english and french texts and switching German, English, French like in a langage rotation choice button ?

Just the technical names - I have moved all the text labels that appear in the ruleset into a single file, making it easy to change them to fit another language.

Hi Neil,

Two quick issues to report, as I am learning to create an adventure (An Eye for an Eye):

• A location, once coded into the library, cannot be dragged and dropped to the location folder (the folders on the right side of the screen in FG2)
  • Talents cannot be moved to creature groups. Actually, creature groups don't have talent coding in the library, yet they have space for talents when creating one in FG2.

Also, it would be great to have the wording "items", "locations", "npcs", in the windows of FG2 when opening the folders on the right side (like the original d20 ruleset). It gets confusing after opening them all and creating an adventure.

Finally, in the code of progress trackers, can you explain the fields stepstate and stepcount:

<progresstrackone>
<value type="number">0</value>
<direction type="number">0</direction>
<stepstate type="number">0</stepstate>
<stepcount type="number">10</stepcount>
</progresstrackone>

Thanks again
Ceodryn

Ceodryn said:

Hi Neil,

Two quick issues to report, as I am learning to create an adventure (An Eye for an Eye):

• A location, once coded into the library, cannot be dragged and dropped to the location folder (the folders on the right side of the screen in FG2)
  • Talents cannot be moved to creature groups. Actually, creature groups don't have talent coding in the library, yet they have space for talents when creating one in FG2.

Also, it would be great to have the wording "items", "locations", "npcs", in the windows of FG2 when opening the folders on the right side (like the original d20 ruleset). It gets confusing after opening them all and creating an adventure.

Finally, in the code of progress trackers, can you explain the fields stepstate and stepcount:

<progresstrackone>
<value type="number">0</value>
<direction type="number">0</direction>
<stepstate type="number">0</stepstate>
<stepcount type="number">10</stepcount>
</progresstrackone>

Thanks again
Ceodryn

Hi Ceodryn,

Thanks for point out those two issues, I will get them fixed for the next release. My copy of Hero's Call arrived yesterday so once I have digested the new rules I should be able to get the next version out pretty soon.

As for the progress trackers:

Value - the current progress value

Direction - 0 = ascending left to right, 1 = descending left to right

StepCount - The number of 'steps' in the progress tracker. E.g. A progress tracker with a StepCount of 10 will show numbers 0-9.

StepState is a little more complicated - It is a single value which is used to hold which steps are highlighted in the progress tracker (in order to hightlight on which step an event occurs). If is made up as follows:

0 - No steps highlighted

1 - '0' step highlighted

2 - '1' step highlighted

4 - '2' step highlighted

8 - '3' step highlighted

16 - '4' step highlighted

etc.

This number can also be a combination of any of these values, so if steps '0', '3', and '4' are highlighted, then the value would be 25 (1+8+16).

Hi, Neil,

When playing face-to-face (or just using the actual wound deck) each wound suffered by a player or monster (if you use the suggestion of drawing one card and using tokens for monster health) changes the possibilities of which critical hits can be applied as the wound cards are depleted.

Does your ruleset in FG take this into account at all? Or does it treat possible crits as being completely separate from wounds being doled out?

Mordenthral said:

Hi, Neil,

When playing face-to-face (or just using the actual wound deck) each wound suffered by a player or monster (if you use the suggestion of drawing one card and using tokens for monster health) changes the possibilities of which critical hits can be applied as the wound cards are depleted.

Does your ruleset in FG take this into account at all? Or does it treat possible crits as being completely separate from wounds being doled out?

Hi Mordenthral,

It treats each critical seperately, ie. it does not keep track of those criticals that have already been drawn from the wound deck making it possible, for example, for the same severe wound to be drawn twice, even though there is only one actual card.

Ah, thanks. I assume it's the same for the insanities, etc.

I guess I'll use the actual decks while running, then, and just drag the necessary effects from the library as they are applied to the PCs. :)

e- Oh, I also noticed that there were no tags for talent slots in the Nemesis definition, but my cards have slots on them. I'm not entering them into the library, but thought I'd mention it.

To be honest, I like that the ratio doesn't really change. Just because one guy has a severe head wound doesn't mean I don't want another guy to get one. More blood for the blood god.

:)

cd8dman said:

To be honest, I like that the ratio doesn't really change. Just because one guy has a severe head wound doesn't mean I don't want another guy to get one. More blood for the blood god.

:)

True. But there's always a 1-in-100+ chance that a particular crit will be "drawn" with a virtual deck. Depending on how many cards you entered. I think it matters for crits like Concussion and Flesh Wound.

With the real deck, the chance will fluctuate. But hey, it's probably just me. :)

The ruleset does allow you to take into account the number of cards you have for each type, which affects the odds of drawing any card. For each card, you can specify a special 'Quantity' value in the library which is the number of cards of that type that you actually posses.

E.g. If you have 4 Concussion cards and 1 Severe Wound, the ruleset would give you only a 20% chance of drawing the Severe Wound. This replicates the odds of drawing a card from your deck, assuming that no card has already been removed.

Hi Neil,

Again more feedback from using the ruleset, from nice to have to more important:

• Nice to have: Would it be possible to code "encumbrance limit"? It's obviously a GM's role to code the items within the library, but could the sum of enc be compared to a character STRx5 (+5 for Dwarfs) and show an icon when encumbred (like you do for fatigue and stress). The cherry on the cake would be to add then a misfortune dice to STR, TO, AG checks :) .
  • Nice to have: In the inventory tab, it would be great to have a note about the exchange rate: 1g = 100s; 1s = 25b
  • Nice to have: A useful mini to have for the future: the tension meter of party
  • Nice to have: The transformation of the "dices symbol references" into dice symbol (ex: (S) or ÿ for success) is not working in the "story" section of FG2. It may not be possible given the "story" is formatted text.
  • More important: Would it be possible to give diseases, mutations to NPCs? The same way it is now for criticals and conditions.
  • More important: Would it be possible to give actions to NPCs/Creatures groups in addition of a given creature? (My understanding of the rules is that a group of creatures shares a pool of actions, and once an action is used, it has to recharge for a creature of the same group to use it. It would faciliate management of the group is actions could be added to the groups instead of a given creature. Leaders could still have special actions available only to them)

I started building an adventure using the ruleset (The Oldenhaller contract, easy to work with, and everyone knows it). It works very well, and I hope to play test it soon with players. I am looking forward to the next release of the ruleset.

Thanks again for your work!

Ceodryn