WFRP Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds II

By neilgfoster, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Thanks for the replies... Using it during our "real sessions" : That's what I plan to do too !

I was already using a netbook ( or my android mobile ) with a custom dice roller ( based on the online roller made by Jaj22 ).

I integrated 2 mp3 players with independant playlists so I can use some ambient ( rain, storm, etc.. ) sounds in one player and music in the other one.

Of course , this was made for personal use only and all the copyrighted materials, etc...

wfrpdiceroller.jpg

I tried and I really liked what I have seen.

I intend to use the ruleset in my offline campaign, as campaign management.

there are, in my opinion, some missing features, for example:

- The only card that is kept in the character sheet is the condition card, i would like to see all the other cards in the character sheet.

Should we have some hope of seeing this kind of features on version v1.1?

3darkman said:

The only card that is kept in the character sheet is the condition card, i would like to see all the other cards in the character sheet.

All the cards are represented on the character sheet. If you see the area where you can track condition cards you will notice some small radio buttons at the bottom of the area. Clicking on these radio buttons cycles through the rest of the cards - Conditions, Diseases, Insanities, Miscasts & Mutations.

This is also true for the Action cards (Blessings, Melee, Ranged, Social, Spell, Support) and the talent cards (Faith, Focus, Oaths, Orders, Reputations, Tactics)

Love it.

Been a fan and user of Fantasy Grounds for a while now. It worked great with D&D and Savage Worlds and I kept thinking how awesome it would be to automate some of 3E's stuff into it.

15 internet kudos for this. I can imagine it was no mean feat.

Just upgraded my FG software to Ultimate on the strength of this, look forward to trying it out with my group. Few questions, is tracking token removal at end of turn automated? And do I need to know xml to create the libraries? is it better to create the libraries within FG or import somehow? should I hold out for next release (1.1) to build library?

Cheers D.

The removal of recharge tokens is not yet automated at end of turn - but you can right-click on a characters portrait or entry in the initiative tracker to remove a recharge token from any card.

You will need to know a little XML in order to create a library. I have tried to make it as simple as possible and provide a template library which includes examples of how to setup each of type of card, plus the pdf includes basic instructions on how to edit the library.

You can start building your library now but I would avoid entering any action card details. I missed the fact that an action card can have different recahrge values based on conservative/reckless stance, so will be adding this in to version 1.1. The other types of cards will not change in v1.1

Can I access the dice's symbols via the card-texts in the library-file?

socratim said:

Can I access the dice's symbols via the card-texts in the library-file?

Unfortunatley not as Fantasy Grounds does not support mixing images and text. I use NezNotation when I need to detail the results of an action.

Eventually I plan to create a custom font for Fantasy Grounds which will include the dice symbols.

Ah, okay. Thanks. Will use that then, too.

You know about the Symbol-Font on Gitzman's site, I suppose? Maybe you can expand on this, should you try to create a new font.

I have another question about adding to libraries, for action cards would enter them via the the extracted .xml file i say Noptepad++ or inside FG, also once you update the library to include new card types like from BFP how do I merge my expanded library with the new example?

Cheers D

Daedalum said:

I have another question about adding to libraries, for action cards would enter them via the the extracted .xml file i say Noptepad++ or inside FG, also once you update the library to include new card types like from BFP how do I merge my expanded library with the new example?

You can enter action cards against a character using FG itself. If you want to have all action cards available as a reference, and be able to quickly drag and drop them to a character, then this is when you create your own library module by editing the extracted xml file.

As new card types are introduced I will add new areas on the character sheet to allow you to enter these new details. You will then also be able to edit your library file again to add the new cards for reference.

A question....

When i click on the criticals cards, a severe critical card may also appear?

Hello, some little problems :

When a player draw a card ( critical wounds, insanities...), nobody can see that card (GM or PC), and it's impossible to share the card.

None player can see the initiative tracker (Only the GM)

3darkan : Yes as you can see in the module library common.xml, both critical wounds and normal wounds are of the critical class. Or else, there is a bug :D

Tunar : If you share the library with the players (the Green Check) and let them pick themself the cards then everyone have to wait for the player to drag and drop the 'grey square' to his character. Once attached, any card can be seen by all players (including the GM).

Second thing, no one can see if the players draw more than one and whoose the one they want, or worse, directly choose the card he wants directly in the library ! :(

I mastered cheating player so I prefer my way :

You dont need to share the library with the players (the Red Cross). In this way, they can read all the card directly in the library but dont have the 'Drawing Card' which I handle myself.

I recommand letting the GM draw the cards for a more Storydriven Roleplay Tension. I describe the Card then I attached it to the player character (and I can share it with the player for more fun)

Oh, the Initiative tracker for the GM is an Icon up right (Cross Swords), but for the players it's the third button between the Notes and the Token Box.

The initiative tracker for the player is only control by the GM. Players can only modify their own numbers. If the player wont see GM's modification then I don't know :P

ummaner said:

3darkan : Yes as you can see in the module library common.xml, both critical wounds and normal wounds are of the critical class. Or else, there is a bug :D

No, this is not a bug. When a library is loaded the ruleset scans the library and builds a list of all criticals, including severe criticals. When you draw a wound card, the ruleset randomly selects a card from this list. This simulates the way that severe wounds are meant to shuffled in with normal wound cards.

ummaner said:

Tunar : If you share the library with the players (the Green Check) and let them pick themself the cards then everyone have to wait for the player to drag and drop the 'grey square' to his character. Once attached, any card can be seen by all players (including the GM).

Second thing, no one can see if the players draw more than one and whoose the one they want, or worse, directly choose the card he wants directly in the library ! :(

Only the person drawing the card can see the card. They can share the card by right clicking and selecting 'share'. They can drag and drop the card to the character sheet or character portait and it will be automatically added to their character sheet, plus a message is sent so everyone knows which card has been added.

ummaner said:

I mastered cheating player so I prefer my way :

You dont need to share the library with the players (the Red Cross). In this way, they can read all the card directly in the library but dont have the 'Drawing Card' which I handle myself.

I recommand letting the GM draw the cards for a more Storydriven Roleplay Tension. I describe the Card then I attached it to the player character (and I can share it with the player for more fun)

I haven't had any problems with players cheating, but Ummaner's way is the right way to do it if you want the GM to be in control. The GM can choose to share or not share the library with the players - if he doesn't share the library with the players then he can draw cards and assign them to players instead.

ummaner said:

Oh, the Initiative tracker for the GM is an Icon up right (Cross Swords), but for the players it's the third button between the Notes and the Token Box.

The initiative tracker for the player is only control by the GM. Players can only modify their own numbers. If the player wont see GM's modification then I don't know :P

I haven't had any problems with the initiative tracker. Ummaner is right in that the GM and players have different icons, so thats something to be aware of.

Hi Neil,

Sorry, I didnt meant to say that there was a bug with the severe wounds. Please apologize my english syntax :)

On the contrary, Players cant share the cards with the 'Right Click' and 'Share' method when they draw cards directly from the 'Drawing Card' image. I tried it and I dont see the 'Share Icon'. The player have to attach it to his Character as/like we described.

May be I did it the wrong way, hihi !

ummaner said:

Hi Neil,

Sorry, I didnt meant to say that there was a bug with the severe wounds. Please apologize my english syntax :)

On the contrary, Players cant share the cards with the 'Right Click' and 'Share' method when they draw cards directly from the 'Drawing Card' image. I tried it and I dont see the 'Share Icon'. The player have to attach it to his Character as/like we described.

May be I did it the wrong way, hihi !

No worries - I was only pointing out that its meant to work that way!

You're quite right - players can't share cards at the moment, only the GM can. I will look at adding this feature in to the next version.

Thanks for your replies Ummaner and Neil.

I'll explain to my players where is the initiative tracker :)

The ruleset is a success, and the library too...

font%20image.jpg?w=a0845ee0

With Neils help I've taken the excellent symbol font from Gitzmans site and created a set of fonts for Fantasy Grounds. Enlarged, rejigged the symbols and edited them to suit the monochrome text of FG. Symbols unavailable in chat box though, so be mindful when dragging blocks of text into the chat box.

Place the extension file in the extension folder of your Fantasy Grounds directory. You will then be able to select the extension each time you load the ruleset.

Link: dl.dropbox.com/u/43520673/FG/WFRP%20v3%20-%20Thete%20Font.ext

I haven't confirmed whether extensions are automaticly available to players connecting to the GM or if they too must install the extension. Any FG people able to answer that one for me?

**edit** heh oops, just noticed an error in the image above, code equired to view fonts should be <i><b>*</b></i>

Hi Daedalum,

Thank for the work, but can you tell us how to use it plz ?

Umm.

1. Download WFRP v3 - Thete Font.ext

(rename extension if download manager renames as .zip)

2. Place WFRP v3 - Thete Font.ext file in the 'extensions' folder of the Fantasy Grounds install
  3. Run Fantasy Grounds, at launch screen after selecting rules set, make sure extension 'Thete Fonts' is selected
  4. Once the program is running you will notice description text that you create in Story entries and Items, Locations etc from the Library is displayed in Dominican font. If you select the appropirate lowercase letters and set to both Bold and Italic, the symbol font will be displayed.
  5. Or, if you are editing the actual xml, you can simply use the tags: <i><b>q</b></i>

Hope this image is a bit clearer:

fonts%202.jpg?w=63c45a60

fonts%2525202.jpg

Thanks Daedalum for the explanation.

Yesterday I finish all the Player and GM guide cards so I ll try a Replace Function !

Right on time :D

So, what has been the best way to input all the the cards into re-usable modules (i.e. more than 1 campaign) in to FGII. Is there an editor that is better to use than others? Thanks!

Working with the Common.xml file is the simple way to control what your doing.

I use Notepad++ and the PDF version of the Player, GM and Creature Guide.

Work with small Xml files and integrate them in the Common.xml once you are satisfied with the quality of your work.

I Use the Replace function a lot to enhance the reading on FG2.