Looking to join a PbP game

By Heritage367, in Your Stories

" That might be a good idea, Agasha-sama. I assume - hope - at least an outline of the garrison's manpower needs will have been drawn up by someone who knows whatever it is someone is pointedly not telling us ."

Khenbish - no. She used her last round action on a second Endear objective with Chinatsu - leaving her an actual potential friend instead of just well-disposed. That may change your plans, since a 5-momentum check (getting to see Hirohide) is likely to need more than 2 actions (I guess Fire stance might help for the juicy bonus successes...)

Umeko/Khenbish - persuading someone in the stables to provide horses for you - and Matsu Tomuko - is probably water/courtesy. That would be TN3 and contribute to the Endear objective. 2 momentum is required to complete it.

Umeko - Brainstorming with Yokoi - who'd be happy to provide unskilled assistance since he'd benefit from the information too - is Theorise (Fire)/Government at TN3, but with +1 rolled ring die and +1 kept die and contributes to the Gather Information objective. 2 momentum will complete the objective.

The check about the Yasuki rumour was reason (earth) commerce.

If you're talking to Tomuko as well know, you can also try the TN2 earth/culture to recognise the mon on her swords.

You...probably....know who the Tsume are, since they're by far the most visible of the Crane's vassal families at the moment. Assume you know the name and they're a Doji vassal family (but no more than that) regardless - Pass a TN1 earth/culture to be assumed to know any elements of family description from Wedding at Kyotei Castle or Emerald Empire (note that at this time Tsume Takashi is Daimyo and his betrothal to Shiba Itsuyo is 'in negotiations')

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Dang. I must have missed a roll as I was looking back through.

Hmmm. If it takes us 2 turns to secure these horses, we won't have time to ride them. I think our best chance of getting 2 momentum in one turn is if Umeko assists me (rather than rolls 2 ring dice on her own). I either need 5 successes (TN3 + 2 bonuses successes) or 3 successes and 2 opportunity, using the Water Negotiation option in Courts of Stone to ask a question (and hopefully answer one in return). If that works, would I be asking a question of Matsu Tomuko or whoever was supplying us with horses?

That would set me up for a low TN roll against Matsu Tomuko for the last round, but we'd have already complete the Endear Matsu Tomuko objective. What do we do with the last round? Could we do Gather Information about the New Garrison while on the ride?

Umeko, thoughts? Are you down for assisting?

Edited by MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving
Added questions at the end

1 hour ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

Hmmm. If it takes us 2 turns to secure these horses, we won't have time to ride them.

You don't have to worry about that. I'm classing the checks to get the horses as generating momentum towards Endear (Matsu Tomuko), it's not a separate set of checks. I'm assuming you're not going to fail at 'getting some horses for half an hour' but you're trying to do so in a fashion that convinces everyone involved that Khenbish is all suave, charming and influential, which you could fail at.

If using the Water opportunity you could in theory ask Tomuko or the stablehands, but since Tomuko is the objective target it really should be her.

And yes, if you complete the Endear objective, you can try talking to Tomuko for Gather Information .

Odds are that's going to be a Theorise or Reason activity with stuff like culture, government or tactics to speculate rather than question with social skills, though: the odds are low she knows something highly sensitive and critical because if she did one would assume she'd have told her veteran jisamurai henchman, and it sounds like Yokoi doesn't have a clue .

24 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:
Hide contents
2 hours ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

Hmmm. If it takes us 2 turns to secure these horses, we won't have time to ride them.

You don't have to worry about that. I'm classing the checks to get the horses as generating momentum towards Endear (Matsu Tomuko), it's not a separate set of checks. I'm assuming you're not going to fail at 'getting some horses for half an hour' but you're trying to do so in a fashion that convinces everyone involved that Khenbish is all suave, charming and influential, which you could fail at.

If using the Water opportunity you could in theory ask Tomuko or the stablehands, but since Tomuko is the objective target it really should be her.

And yes, if you complete the Endear objective, you can try talking to Tomuko for Gather Information .

Odds are that's going to be a Theorise or Reason activity with stuff like culture, government or tactics to speculate rather than question with social skills, though: the odds are low she knows something highly sensitive and critical because if she did one would assume she'd have told her veteran jisamurai henchman, and it sounds like Yokoi doesn't have a clue .

Okay, cool. So I'm figuring Born in the Saddle applies in the last round either way. If that's correct, I'm just waiting on confirmation of an assist from Umeko before I roll.

To get those last couple of momentum points for Gather Information , I think Theorize(Fire)/Tactics is a viable option for me. Are any of those skills a better option for you than assisting, Karasu?

Clarifying some language

I'm not too good at doing either of those things on my own, so I'm happy to give you an assist on them.

However, remembering mon that I may have seen in passing:

• Earth/Culture : [Success], [Opportunity,Strife], [Blank]; [Opportunity]
  • Precise Memory reroll 2nd and 3rd Ring [Blank], [Success] - 2 Successes, 1 Opportunity.
  • Succeed, putting the Opp towards being careful about it.

And the Tsume

• Earth/Culture : [Blank], [Success], [Blank]; [Opportunity] - Success, 1 Opportunity
  • Succeed with just the basics

The Yasuki

• Earth/Commerce: [Exploding, Strife], [Blank], [Opportunity] - Keep the Opportunity only
  • Fail, but recall a couple of Yasuki proverbs about trade (-1 TN for someone else making a Commerce check this scene, probably pointless.

Khenbish inspects the horses at the stables for a good courser to request on Matsu Tomiko's behalf, a horse that seems well-behaved and capable of a hearty, invigorating ride.

Water(Charm)/Courtesy with Assistance from Umeko
Original roll:
Ring : Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Opportunity Small.png / Strife Small.png , blank, blank; Skill : Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Opportunity Small.png

Bummer. If I try to make sure I'm finding an impressive horse for Tomuko, could the Animal Trainer distinction apply?

If not, I just keep the Opportunity Small.png / Strife Small.png and the Opportunity Small.png to ask a question. That puts my total strife at 5. I'll try to politely steer the topic of conversation to her relationship with Tsume no Doji Ron to find out what their history is.

As Umeko is introduced to the Matsu Samurai, she bows, finding her eyeline pointed at the daisho sheathed at the Lion's waist without being obvious about it. The mon on the weapons is not that of the Matsu itself, and it takes her a moment to place the heraldry as that of a former Matsu vassal family, the Goseki. The scabards are ornate and look quite old.

Umeko - you know a broad recent history of the Tsume in general and Tsume Retsu in particular , then.

This may help inform your behaviours - and Khenbish's!

Khenbish - I think applying animal trainer isn't unreasonable. You're trying to give the impression of being someone worth knowing

Edited by Magnus Grendel

As he's inspecting the horses, Khenbish turns the conversation back to the Doji. "You mentioned you know the Crane as well as you wished to. I sense there may be some bad history. I'm loath to pry, but I'd like to know what company I'll be keeping while at the garrison. Would you be willing to share what you know about this Tsume no Doji Ron? Do my sisters and I have cause for worry?"

Awesome! Then the roll looks like this:

Water(Charm)/Courtesy with Assistance from Umeko
Original roll:
Ring : Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Opportunity Small.png / Strife Small.png , blank, blank; Skill : Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Opportunity Small.png
Animal Trainer reroll (the two blanks): Ring : Explosive Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Opportunity Small.png / Strife Small.png
Initial Keep: Ring : Explosive Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Skill : Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Opportunity Small.png
Explosion: Opportunity Small.png / Strife Small.png
Final: 3 successes, 2 opportunity, 4 strife

I'll take it! With reciprocal questioning, that should be two momentum points, completing the objective! The strife puts Khenbish at 8 total. He's working hard for this friendship. I'm not sure what objective Tomuko is working towards (if any), but if she answers this question, that will be a second momentum point towards it.

If this is a Persuade action, could I use the second action of Water Stance to take a Calming Breath? If so, strife drops to 7.

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

As Umeko is introduced to the Matsu Samurai, she bows, finding her eyeline pointed at the daisho sheathed at the Lion's waist without being obvious about it. The mon on the weapons is not that of the Matsu itself, and it takes her a moment to place the heraldry as that of a former Matsu vassal family, the Goseki. The scabards are ornate and look quite old.

Umeko - you know a broad recent history of the Tsume in general and Tsume Retsu in particular , then.

This may help inform your behaviours - and Khenbish's!

Khenbish - I think applying animal trainer isn't unreasonable. You're trying to give the impression of being someone worth knowing

OOC: Oh, this is going to be messy :D

Also, Khenbish (I have no idea what to call you out of character - McAdd?) are those dice symbols emoji of some sort? It would be much easier to put them in.

Karasu, t hanks for the Assist, by the way! I needed all the help I could get on that last roll. I pulled the dice symbols from a post by Magnus in the other game he ran ( here if you want to check it out). I wish they were emoji! That would be so slick!

McAdd seems fine. I have deep regrets about the account name. I made it to ask a quick Star Wars question and just typed in whatever nonsense came into my head, thinking I probably wouldn't be using the account much. That was before FFG got L5R (or at least before I realized they had).

" Tsume Ron is one of Nasu Shimazu' s trusted officers, and led Tsume Retsu's storming party at Toshi Ranbo. " Tomuko all but spits the names. " Tsume Retsu did not intend to face any future claim to the castle, so he gave orders regarding the Goseki no Matsu family. Tsume Ron....enacted....some of those orders ."

The Lion Bushi is lost in what are clearly painful memories, somewhere, somewhen and with someone else. After a few moments she turns back to Khenbish, who is taking a moment and giving her space to calm himself and let the Matsu process whatever she is dealing with.

" So. Do you intend to speak with Kitsu Harumori-san?"

That is indeed an Endear objective competed. It's not as good as Chinatsu - where 2 objectives were completed - and won't (yet) open up bonds, but Tomuko will be well disposed to you and you can count on her support for titles in the garrison unless you're competing with a Lion samurai.

Khenbish gasps upon hearing what the Tsume have done. "Tomuko-san, I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. There are no words. Compassion is a too often forgotten tenet of the way of warriors."

After hearing about the Goseki, Khenbish is washed over by a feeling of almost unbearable sorrow. Why must the lives of samurai involve so much death? Is this what honor is - to follow orders to kill until we are ourselves killed one day? And why must my mark be a man who is actually saving lives? This cannot be what honor is. But my daimyo's orders were clear. Khenbish realizes too much time has passed since Tomuko asked the question.

"Given that he and I are both here, I can see no honorable path forward where I don't meet with Harumori-san."

Khenbish wonders how he'll ever duel the man, when he can't even quite give voice to those intentions. He searches for an easier subject.

"I wonder if you've heard any rumors about the garrison? An imperial holding so far north, surely there must be concerns about Yobanjin." Khenbish continues to speculate, encouraging the others to theorize as well, hoping to take Tomuko's mind off of her family and his off of his duty.

Could/should I have Khenbish's Soft-hearted anxiety trigger at being told about someone losing their entire vassal family? It's not him personally having to kill someone, but it is a pretty extreme personal account with a lot of death. I envision Khenbish as being pretty empathetic, so I could see witnessing Tomuko's pain in the retelling as being enough to trigger his own.

Either way, can the ride trigger my passion, Animal Bond (Khünbish is the animal I'm bonded to)?

Theorize(Fire)/Tactics with Assistance from Umeko to Gather Information about the Garrison
Original roll:
Ring : Explosive Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , blank; Skill : Opportunity Small.png
Keep: Ring : Explosive Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Skill : Opportunity Small.png
Explosion: Success Small.png / Strife Small.png (I actually don't think keeping this helps me)
Final: 3 successes (+3 bonus successes from strife), 3 strife, 1 opportunity.

I'll use the opportunity to reduce strife gained by 1, meaning he's at 9 total. I'm not sure if Born in the Saddle still makes sense, since I'm theorizing about tactics instead of trying to befriend someone on a nice ride. If it does, I'd keep one less Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , meaning he's just at 8. And then possibly modified by an anxiety and/or passion.

" Ironic, isn't it, Shinjo-san? " Tomuko replies, with a smile that doesn't quite reach her eyes. " The duty laid on you by your lord would have you draw steel on an honourable man you barely know, to avenge an honest choice declared a crime; that laid on me by mine compels me to keep mine sheathed in the presence of a woman whose neck I could gleefully snap with my bare hands with a smile on my face because it is politically inconvenient to acknowledge her crimes exist ..."

Tomuko shakes her head. " Fortunes give me an honourable fight for a good cause. One of the few benefits of guarding the edge of civilization - at least you know in which direction your enemy lies. I envy the Crab the uncomplicated simplicity of their clan's duty ."

She pauses, considering Khenbish's question.

" As I understand it, a former watchtower on the northern border is being re-instated and upgraded to a full garrison, but there my definite knowledge ends. That alone, though, speaks of sizeable yobanjin raids - enough to justify a full guntai of Bushi to stop them and enough to concern one or more someones with the political influence to assign us there. Yokoi-san's inclusion is also telling; whilst he is a trusted retainer and I am pleased he is here, his name was mandated to me rather than my own choice. Since his - well-deserved - reputation is as a drillmaster for common soldiery, we can assume an ashigaru contingent will be found from somewhere, which further highlights the scale of the threat."

Tomuko jerks the reins of her pony roughly, trying to stop the beast wandering, whilst Khünbish placidly wanders along at the gentle direction of his rider. Whatever Tomuko's skills as a swordsman or commander, it's clear she is no cavalryman.

" Your travelling companion, the Crab, is a Kaiu: it is an assumption but the obvious reason for their presence would be to oversee construction and repair work - suggesting the existing fortress is too small, in poor repair, or both. I cannot imagine large-scale construction in the Northern mountains is easy, so a skilled engineer's inclusion is comforting ."

The Matsu looks thoughtful.

" My biggest concerns are these: First, so far as Harumori-san and his contacts within the legions are aware, this post has not been an Imperial garrison within living memory. That means either it has been derelict for decades, maybe centuries, or else it is a former great clan outpost which has been recently made the responsibility of the Emerald Champion, which suggests some political manouvring, either by the Imperial families against a Great Clan which has committed some failure ot transgression, or else of one Great Clan against another using the office of the Emerald Champion as a playing piece. Second, I hear rumours of the Yasuki nosing around like merchant peddlers looking to hawk supplies to the garrison. I find it distasteful to imagine a samurai engaged in such, but the Yasuki must be acknowledged to know their business. If they have spent time and effort chasing an opportunity, one should assume it exists. Which raises the question - why does Yasuki Taka-dono believe the garrison will be prepared to consider drawing supplies from across the entire length of the Empire?"

Soft-hearted triggering makes sense. Khenbish is smart enough to read between the lines and picture what ensuring 'no future claim' would require when storming a family's home.

The ride...I guess so? It is getting to spend time with your horse, and triggering either Animal Bond or Born in the Saddle but not both would seem wierd...

Success with three bonus successes is going to get you the two momentum you need to complete the Gather Information.

I think that's probably it for the scene unless @Heritage367 turns up.

Objectives completed at this time:

• Endear (Matsu Tomuko)
  • Endear (Yokoi)
  • Endear (Chinatsu x2)
  • Gather Information (Garrison History)
Edited by Magnus Grendel

Wow. That's really great writing, Magnus. I LOVE this exchange between them.

[spoiler]This game got up to speed a lot quicker than I thought it was going to! I'm going to see if I can get caught up in the next day or so, as I'm trying to focus on school right now. If I'm not able to, I hope that you all are able to continue without me.[/spoiler]

no worries. It's basically a matter of figuring out what Kaiu Hatsune did during the intrigue - feel free to compare notes with the others.

Khenbish- thanks! I'd got a mental image of Tomuko as someone trying to deal with stereotypical anger issues and making her situation the inverse of yours felt narratively appropriate... fortunately this is - currently - pre Altansarnai breaking her betrothal or she'd not be being so polite.

Fortunately that, like Kitsuki Tomo, is a tomorrow problem...

@Heritage367 , you really haven't missed too much - just one scene where we got the lay of the land a little before the dinner. I'll try and summarize what we know. Magnus, Karasu, and Zantosa, feel free to correct or add.

We're here by order of Doji Satsume, Emerald Champion and commander of the Emerald Legions, for some cause related to the re-establishment of a garrison in the north. We're meeting with Seppun Hirohide, representing the Champion, this evening for dinner.

We think there are 2 dozen-ish guests total. Half-ish are Dragon or Phoenix. Here's who we know:
Crab: You, some Yasuki
Crane: Tsume no Doji Ron (a shugenja?), two yojimbos
Dragon: Agasha Umeko (whose brother you know), maybe 4-ish more?
Lion: Kitsu Harumori (a medic who I'm supposed to kill), (Goseki no?) Matsu Tomuko ( HATES Doji Ron for involvement in killing the Goseki), Yokoi no Yanagibashi Mura (a jisamurai)
Phoenix: No names yet. Maybe 5-ish?
Scorpion: A Bayushi who we have already seen being dragged to the magistrate's quarters by a yoriki
Unicorn: Yours truly, my half-sister Sayaka
Eyes of Nanashi (ronin): Chinatsu, Hakane, two others

There's also Kitsuki Tomo, the yoriki, and Agasha Sumiko, the Ruby Champion. I think that's everyone we know about so far?

Sayaka went to the bath house and made friends with a couple of the Eyes of Nanashi (Chinatsu in particular). Umeko and I met with two of the Lion (not Harumori), and we've mostly befriend them as well. If you look at Magnus's post just a couple posts back, you'll see basically everything we've put together about the garrison so far.

My guess is that the political maneuvering alluded to has to do with the Crane and Dragon. Crane because Doji Satsume made Seppun Hirohide our contact "to avoid any perceived conflict of interest." Dragon because Satsume didn't appoint Agasha Sumiko (and it makes sense with the garrison being in the north).

I think the next scene is our best shot at getting a title. It looks like options on the table include (but maybe aren't limited to?) castellan, gunso (possibly 2), esteemed negotiator, yojimbo (probably can be multiple), and advisor (probably can be multiple). We can almost definitely help each other get the appointments we want, but we haven't really discussed intentions yet. Maybe we should do that now...

In terms of where you've been, maybe you just showed up? Boat delay?

If you have any questions, speak up! I'm glad you're back. You are the one who got this whole thread started, after all. :)

I'm excited to see where this story goes!

pretty good summary, with a few corrections/observations:

• You don't actually know which of the Cranes - the shujenga or one of the bushi - is Tsume Ron.
  • The ronin have specifically been hired by the Dragon (though it was implied at least one of them might be open to better offers). The one they report to is a Mirumoto, though you've not met him/her.
  • Chinatsu did observe that "Legally, the Eyes of Nanashi are still ronin, not Dragon vassals, which is important when the Dragon want someone legally 'independent' for a task". Given that the Dragon seem to have bought as many Eyes as 'proper' Dragon samurai, maybe this is them trying to have a big presence whilst staying officially 'hands off'?
  • Again, could be connected to whatever this "conflict of interest" is?

Ahhh, I'm glad I wrote this summary then! That clarifies a few things for me.

Ideally, we should probably have some intention heading into the dinner. Do people have titles/positions they particularly want? Khenbish would go for castellan, if he thought he had a shot, if only to bring honor to his family. He probably presumes it would be someone better connected though, so realistically, I think he would try for gunso or esteemed negotiator. It's easier for me to see the fun RP potential of him being a gunso, so I probably lean slightly that way. I guess depending on the advisory position, Advisor could be great RP too, if there are interesting and challenging decisions to be made, though I probably wouldn't pursue the title mechanically. Yojimbo is bottom of my/Khenbish's list.

Do other people have things they're hoping for?

also, the last point I forgot on a related subject - if assuming the Dragon are trying to pack the garrison with friendly faces without including too many members of the clan, a suspicious mind might also point at Agasha Umeko's selection - yes, shes competent but she also just so happens to bring the Unicorn contingent (i.e. you two) along as allies...

and has family links to the Crab

17 hours ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

Ideally, we should probably have some intention heading into the dinner. Do people have titles/positions they particularly want? Khenbish would go for castellan, if he thought he had a shot, if only to bring honor to his family. He probably presumes it would be someone better connected though, so realistically, I think he would try for gunso or esteemed negotiator. It's easier for me to see the fun RP potential of him being a gunso, so I probably lean slightly that way. I guess depending on the advisory position, Advisor could be great RP too, if there are interesting and challenging decisions to be made, though I probably wouldn't pursue the title mechanically. Yojimbo is bottom of my/Khenbish's list

Just to note: you should consider more than 'look, I has a cool title' - Umeko and Khenbish both have a strong interest in the chain of command due to their giri.

Presumably the castellan is the outpost commander, and as such an in locum 'Lord' to the samurai stationed there. That means:

• They'll set policy on stuff like travel papers and support offered to and demanded from the clan in whose territory they are. Meaning if a clan were to want to abuse the position - or at least to prevent a less moral rival from doing the same...
  • Their permission would be needed for a legal duel between two of the garrison's soldiers, but also a samurai challenging one of their own subordinates (who they can order to lose and who is obligated to serve and protect them) to a duel is ethically dodgy at best.
Edited by Magnus Grendel

Hmmm. Points well taken. With that in mind, I'm imagining a 2x2 grid with the columns being whether or not Khenbish gets a prestigious appointment and the rows being whether or not Harumori does. I imagine it will be more complicated than this in practice, but I think this is the extent to which Khenbish can plan before dinner.

1. Khenbish no, Harumori no: It seems this is the scenario in which a duel is most likely to be approved. Good news regarding his duty, but not great for his psyche. If Khenbish ultimately can't bring himself to duel Harumori, this is the worst case scenario.
2. Khenbish no, Harumori yes: While Khenbish would be relieved that he would be unlikely to get the chance to duel Harumori, it's kind of a double failure regarding duty/honor. Not only did he not duel Harumori, but because Harumori was a better fit for an appointment than him, he allowed Harumori to get a promotion that puts him further out-of-reach for anyone to settle the feud. So this also seems really bad.
3. Khenbish yes, Harumori yes: If they're equal station, I think requesting a duel might be okay, just unlikely to get approved. So probably no duel, but at least he has something to show for it. This is kind of a partial success.
4. Khenbish yes, Harumori no: Probably the best case scenario, given the circumstances. He probably won't be allowed to duel Harumori, but has a good excuse, earned honor in another way, and Shinjo Barghujin might still be able to get someone else to duel Harumori.

Harumori aside, Khenbish hopes the Yobanjin will be dealt with fairly and compassionately, which he thinks a Unicorn is more like to do than other Rokugani.

Also, I'm trying to read the room, and I'm not sure if other players aren't interested in any of the potential appointments, or if folks just haven't had a chance to post yet. Totally fine either way. I've been trying to step back the last couple days, because I sense I have more availability to post than others, and I don't want to be taking up all the oxygen. But if we are ready to move on, I'm pretty jazzed to see where dinner takes us.

I was trying to give

@Heritage367 a chance to catch up, as requested, and either outline or ask for advice on what they were doing during the intrigue scene. Since their last post was Thursday, I was going to give them the weekend (which they've had) and if they didn't at least indicate that they wanted to participate in the intrigue by...say close of play tomorrow? Skip ahead to the dinner - where, amongst other things, you'll get to find out what everyone else has been doing with their time.

That evening, dressed in their finest, the samurai all gather in a formal audience hall on the second floor of the castle - nominally part of the Ruby Champion's estate.

One side of the room is open to a balcony to the west, giving a beautiful view of the early evening sun. It is noticeable that the loose gaggle of individuals seen earlier in the day seem to be cohering into three groups, broadly along clan lines despite there being no officially assigned seating - Crane and Phoenix along the left hand side of the room, with their backs to the balcony, Dragon and Unicorn opposite them (joined by three of the four Nanashi ronin), and a final group of the Scorpion, Lion and Crab clans seated around the entrance, along with the fourth ronin. Kaiu Hatsune is seated at the right-hand edge of this group, adjacent to low table where the Unicorn, Agasha Umeko and Chinatsu are seated.

Seated opposite the latter group, on a cushion below the formal dais, is the stern-looking figure of an Emerald Magistrate, dressed in an elegant kimono of green and grey worked with the Seppun family mon. Laid to one side of him is a battered-looking officer's gunbai fan, whilst laid to the other is a beautifully ornate daisho.

"Greetings, samurai-san, on behalf of the Emerald Champion." He says. "I am Seppun Hirohide, Magistrate by appointment to Doji Satsume-sama and the Son of Heaven, and I have been given the duty of outlining your responsibilities as the new garrison of... " He pauses for a moment "...what has been named Shiro Damebarē."

There is a suppressed but detectable whispering from some of the guests at the name, but whatever is being said, no-one is prepared to voice it out loud.

"This outpost lies in the region noted on maps of the area as Fubuki no Gake, which forms part of the border of the Empire itself. Those assembled here, have been given the honour by their clans of forming the first cadre of the Imperial Legions to garrison this outpost. In short, your duties will be to secure the valley from gaijin raiders, as well as policing bandits and providing a way-station for sanctioned travellers in the harsh northern mountains. Your particular care will be the protection of the settlement of Chisanru and its surrounding farms and hamlets, since they would make a rich prize for some Yobanjin warlord and at this time are undefended. To this end, the garrison has also been given permission to raise and maintain a guntai of ashigaru through contributions from the local Daimyos. "

He gives a curt gesture, and attendants begin bringing in plates of food.

"Which leaves, of course, the question of the appointment of the garrison's officers. We shall eat, and then I shall be open to your thoughts on the matter."

No further responses, so I guess we'll move on. This is a new scene, so if you managed to rack up more than half your composure in strife, reset to that value.

Okay....there's a fair amount to unpack from Hirohide-sama's introduction.

The fact that it's not been named after the region and called Shiro Fubuki no Gake (' snowstorm cliffs castle '), but instead Shiro Damebarē (basically ' no-good valley castle ') is presumably significant in some way, and may be the other shoe Yokoi has been waiting for hitting the ground. This is also the first time you've seen the entire garrison cadre in one place where you can see everyone's faces. Assume you're all sat together (except Kaiu Hatsune, who's on the adjacent table and 'back-to-back' with Agasha Umeko)

Sayaka - if you're discussing your thoughts over dinner with Chinatsu then she will be happy to act as a sounding board and provide her own insights if she has any. This means one of your checks can have her assistance - she will give skilled assistance for Sentiment, Games or Tactics and unskilled assistance for any other skill.

Checks you might want to consider (TN as listed but obviously bonus successes in most cases are good) - let me know how you're divvying these checks up between you.

• Scrutinise (Air)/Design/TN2 will pick out details of Hirohide's dress and gear that might give you a clue as to his history.
  • Scrutinise (Air)/Sentiment/TN3 will give you an insight into the magistrate's feelings.
  • Survey (Water)/Sentiment/TN2 will let you read the room's reaction to his announcements.
  • Survey (Water)/Culture/TN2 will let you eye up the rest of the room and see if you recognize anyone by family or even by name.
  • Recall (Earth)/Culture/TN2 will let you recall what you know about Chisanru valley.
  • Reason (Earth)/Government/TN2 will draw attention to something unusual in the terms of the garrison's authority.
  • Theorise (Fire)/Games/TN1 will let you speculate on the name of the outpost, since you suspect whoever chose it didn't do so out of a hat.
  • Theorise (Fire)/Tactics/TN2 will give you an insight into the officers' posts and the means by which Hirohide is selecting them.

Edited by Magnus Grendel