Looking to join a PbP game

By Heritage367, in Your Stories

Other NPCs still have their turns to take!

Edited by Magnus Grendel

The other Lion clan samurai take their lead from Tomuko, with the Lion Khenbish had - apparently correctly - identified as Harumori speaking in favour of Sayaka as junior gunso. In addition, albeit rather rough-spokenly, Yokoi also speaks in support.

Afterwards, Kitsuki Fuji also takes his turn to speak, also weighing in in favour of the Unicorn. The Dragon has what proves to be the final word on the matter, much to the annoyance of his Phoenix counterpart.

Seppun Hirohide makes a brief gesture of agreement. "Very well," he says , "then I shall accept your recommendations, and will name Shinjo Sayaka-san to the position."

Kitsu Harumori is a Seasoned Courtier with the Sage template, and attempts an Air Stance courtesy check with Yokoi's assistance (Air 4, Social 3, unskilled assistance, Inexhaustible Politeness ) targeting Seppun Hirohide (Base TN4, reduced to TN3 for courtesy checks due to Harumori's lower status).

Rolls: Blank, Opportunity x 2, Success, Explosive Success/Strife x4

Rerolls ( Inexhaustible Politeness ) Blank, Opportunity > Success, Opportunity

Keeps: Success, Explosive Success/Strife x4

Resolve Explosive Success: Success, Opportunity, Explosive Success/Strife x 2 > Success, Opportunity

Resolve Strife: Gains 6 Strife

Resolve Opportunities: Opportunity x 2 - Remove 2 Strife.

Resolve Success: 9 Successes vs Difficulty 3 - succeeds with 6 bonus successes, generating 4 momentum

Kitsuki Fuji is a loyal bushi with the trickster template. He attempts an Earth Stance courtesy check (Earth 3, Social 2), targeting Seppun Hirohide and Shiba Rie (Base TN4, reduced to TN3 for courtesy checks due to Fuji's lower status).

Rolls: Opportunity/Strife x 2, Success, Success/Opportunity, Explosive Success/Strife

Keeps: Success, Success/Opportunity, Explosive Success/Strife

Resolve Explosive Success: Success

Resolve Strife: Gains 1 Strife

Resolve Opportunities: Opportunity - increase the TN of Shiba Rie's next social check by 1.

Resolve Success: 3 Successes vs Difficulty 3 - succeeds with no bonus successes, generating 1 momentum

Persuade Seppun Hirohide (Shinjo as Junior Gunso) - 5/5 momentum and complete.

This ends the turn

1 hour ago, Zantosa said:

Interesting times!

Oh, I forgot there's a water bonus action, but I can't really find anything worthwhile to do with it in an intrigue. You have any idea?

Also, new initiative?

There's always Calming Breath...

It'll need to be a support action which doesn't require a check. So....yeah. Basically calming breath, unless you have something specific in your kitbag of techniques.

Yep, but unfortunally Sayaka's strife is still to low to use calming breath.

She has yet to pick up any fancy tricks for social maneuvers, so that's it I think! Thanks for the inputs!

Right....well, I broadly know what the NPCs are planning to do next round. Rie will probably open the ball (since she gets to talk before you lot if she chooses to), but I was going to give you a chance to plan your fiendish schemes first.

At this point, there are three 'major' posts still to be assigned - Ambassador, Advisor (which you've committed to make a credible effort to support Bayushi Katsu), and Priest (which Umeko has her eye on) and three'minor' posts - Yojimbo each for Shinjo Khenbish, Tsume Ron, and whoever is assigned as ambassador.

Based on what you know:

• Dragon/Ronin
    • Kitsuki Fuji - 1 strife
    • Chinatsu - 0 strife (assists only)
  • Phoenix/Crane
    • Shiba Rie - 3 strife, treats Hirohide as Vigilance 3, TN-1 from Tsume Ron, TN+1 from Kitsuki Fuji
    • Asahina Midori - 4 strife
    • Asako Koharu - 5 strife
    • Tsume no Doji Ron - 3 strife
  • Others
    • Bayushi Katsu - 2 strife
    • Matsu Tomuko - 2 strife
    • Kitsu Harumori - 6 strife
    • Yokoi - 0 strife (assists only)

can I check what strife you are on? Holdovers from previous scenes, what you've picked up in the current scene from checks, and I believe Khenbish had 2 strife dropped on him by Midori.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Sayaka is at 4 strife after the last roll. Started the scene at 5, lost two from initiative and gained one from the last roll. So either she's gained one, or she's lost one this scene, depending on how you want to see it!

Are there any other Shugenja present? Sorry if I've missed.

At very least Khenbish needs to support Bayushi Katsu. I think Sayaka may need as well if it's not settled by that point, otherwise she'll gladly wait to advocate Umeko.

I think it might be a good idea to ensure all parties gets represented to avoid to much discontent. With Dragon and Scorpion set, we probably have a debt to pay with getting a Lion as Ambassador? Could be Sayaka's focus also?

Or maybe a Shiba as Yojimbo for Khenbish? It would be a prestigious (and suiting) responsibility?

Is Chinatsu assisting Sayaka this round with her action last round?

Umeko is at 3 strife.

Asahina Midori is a shugenja, I believe. I'm unsure of Harumori's profession.

The only Lion who I think would make a good Ambassador is Harumori, and I don't know enough about him to be sure. Would it be feasible to sugget Midori, of the renowned pacifist family, as the Ambassador? Selfishly, it removes the other obvious contendor for Priest as well.

Congrats on your new appointment, sis!

Khenbish is at 8 strife, including the 2 he was gifted. He gets so much more accomplished in Fire Stance, but I think I need to switch to Water for this next roll (and take a Calming Breath). Composure is 10, so he's definitely sweating.

I agree that Khenbish should champion Katsu as his advisor. It follows the arrangement, and if we're going to work together, I want to be supportive. I don't think anyone else should feel like they have to support him, though. Khenbish is the only one obligated to make a concession.

I like the idea of a pacifist as our Ambassador.

Khenbish's understanding is that Harumori is a medic (so bushi).

Question for our GM. Would it be reasonable to use Theology as a skill when debating the correct appointment of a priest?

• Profile-wise, Harumori is a Seasoned Courtier with Sage - so whilst he no doubt owns a suit of armour, has a decent earth ring and has extremely high scholar and - for a samurai - trade skills, he's probably not too bad as a prospect for ambassador.
    • Plus it offers the obvious benefit of him spending a fair amount of time not in the same location as Khenbish.
    • Note that Khenbish seeking to become castellan for the reasons he's done so lines up with both his ambitions and his basically compassionate nature, and is good for him personally and the Unicorn as a whole.
    • Pushing Harumori into a position of influence and/or where you are unable to pursue Barghujin's vendetta, by comparison, could be construed as a violation of your giri.
      • This is probably a minor violation of Duty and Loyalty (honour equal to attribute rank) if you as a group do so.
      • Also when/if Shinjo Barguhjin hears the outcome of this debate, you may be in for some stick if the proposal is noted as coming from you or your immediate relatives in particular.
      • Either way, it's definitely a complication, so whilst considering the choice, you can choose for Khenbish to receive 3 strife and 1 void point if you feel he'd be strongly conflicted by the choice. That would compromise you, but not so much that a calming breath can't get you back down to your composure.
  • Asahina Midori is definitely a shujenga - no others have specifically identified themselves.
    • As noted, getting her a different title will knock her out of the running for the priest's role
      • Since the idea of nominating a pacifist shujenga as a bodyguard will probably be treated with the contempt it deserves, that probably boils down to the ambassador's post, or trying to screw the scorpion out of the advisor's position.
    • There are a couple of so-far-anonymous phoenix in fairly non-descript 'posh robes' opposite you; I'd call it an out-of-sequence TN1 culture check to tell if any are Isawa.
      • Note that even if they are that doesn't necessarily follow that they're shujenga, although more successes will give greater confidence one way or another.
  • Chinatsu can certainly be persuaded to support - she's a friend and is at your table, so you can compare notes without needing a scheme action to do so.
    • Note that at the same time, friendship goes both ways, and it might be nice to reciprocate by offering some sort of post either to her in particular or at least to one of the Nanashi ronin.
    • They'd be unlikely to expect anything more significant than a yojimbo's post (they are ronin), but that is a public mark of trust and confidence in their skills and loyalty, and hence a nice thing to advocate for even if you don't make too much effort to ensure they win it.
  • It wouldn't be too out there to use theology as a skill for the appointment of a priest, though it would probably need an (easy) Persuade action first:
    • Seppun Hirohide is not a priest or scholar himself.
    • Therefore what you'd be doing is persuading him that the priest " should be the person with the better understanding of the spirits ". That's a pretty easy argument to win, and will therefore require a lot less momentum than a persuade action to pick a specific individual (and it doesn't need to be you - or indeed anyone with Theology making that argument, ). Plus you may well find that others, even rivals (like Midori) will support the idea (since naturally they think they're the best theologist in the room).
    • Once that's passed, the contest becomes an opposed theology-off between other candidates and you - and crucially, Hirohide's vigilance 4 is no longer the driving force behind the TN.
Edited by Magnus Grendel

So much debt to pay!

But yes, suggesting one of the Ronin as a Yojimbo wouldn't be more than fair.

I do believe we owe the Lion at least a show of effort, on the other hand we did support them even if it didn't carry through, so that might already count? Regardless, we should probably ensure they aren't left empty-handed, as that could backfire longterm?

I'll support whomever you want as ambassador. As castellan, wouldn't it be improper to for Khenbish to act against Harumori regardless? Couldn't it be argued that by making him ambassador in a venture by the very name expected to fail, it could be enough to soon create a lawful reason for the vendetta?

• Out-of-sequence culture TN1: Survey (Water/Culture): Blank, Opportunity/Strife, Opportunity, Success.
  • Keeping all but the blank. Using one opportunity to reduce strife by 2 (so at 3 Strife now), the other to "spot an unique or identifying quality, aspect or ability".

4 minutes ago, Zantosa said:

As castellan, wouldn't it be improper to for Khenbish to act against Harumori regardless?

Pretty much. But there's a difference between being not pursuing the vendetta when it's socially impossible to do so, and advocating for the subject of the vendetta to receive a promotion (however much of a poisoned chalice you suspect the post may be).

It's not saying you can't, or even you shouldn't. Just that there may be consequences for doing so.

6 minutes ago, Zantosa said:

I do believe we owe the Lion at least a show of effort, on the other hand we did support them even if it didn't carry through, so that might already count?

If Tomuko didn't think it counted, then Yokoi and Harumori probably wouldn't have spoken on Sayaka's behalf; Ron had already been given the Gunso's post at that point.

One of the other phoenix is only wearing Phoenix clan mons obviously, but on closer inspection certainly appears to be an Isawa, given the style of his formal clothing, typical of the northeastern coast. He doesn't wear anything that obviously speaks of a shujenga's skills (lacking the signature scroll cases Sayaka normally associates with shujenga), but is also clearly no bushi.

The clothing the man is wearing looks very well made and extremely comfortable, which lines up with a slightly overweight physique that hints at a love of comfortable living - which means the remote and mountainous Shiro Damebare is likely to prove an unpleasant shock....

I just want to say I'm really enjoying this scene. Magnus, I think you've set this up really well, leaning into one of L5R's strength. I don't know of another RPG where political conflict can be this interesting/fun.

Getting Umeko as Priest is our priority for the round, yeah? If Sayaka makes the roll, she probably has an Assist from Chinatsu and Umeko. That's good, but probably not enough to finish the objective this round. I think I'm both socially and mechanically obligated to help Katsu (which I'm okay with). Maybe we get lucky and the appointment is still available next round, but if we really want to secure it, I think we might need to get some help. Since Umeko is a Dragon, they seem like the obvious choice. I don't think the Lion really owe us anymore. If anything, we should be trying to help them, I think.

Speaking of which, if Umeko gets the Priest appointment, personally I'd like to spend round 3 helping the Lion. If the Lion propose Tomuko or Yokoi for anything, I'd back it. If we're proposing something, maybe Matsu Tomuko as my yojimbo? Obviously I want the best yojimbo I can get, but I don't think we know enough to know who that is. Tomuko seems as likely as anyone to be a competent bushi, it shows my trust in the Lion which I think is good for future relations, it returns the favor, and it avoids us having to support Harumori for anything.

Alternatively, I could try to get a Shiba yojimbo, figuring they're most likely to be the best. No Phoenix seems likely to get an appointment yet, and that would be a natural fit. In which case we try to get Tomuko (or I guess Yokoi) to be someone else's yojimbo?

Regarding my Complication, I think Khenbish is okay for now, but if the Lion propose Harumori as Ambassador (or as Khenbish's yojimbo, which I think seems less likely), that would change things. For this round, at least, I think he can still pursue all interests in good faith.

Edited by MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving

I can only second

@MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving 's praise. It is really nice to see the high complexity of different wills dragging in different directions!

I can hold off until Ambassador and Advisor have been set, but it also means we have little to no influence over the choice of ambassador. If it goes in that order? Guess we'll have to see what Rie is up to - her choice of ambassador might be one that is acceptable.

Sayaka is likely to suggest one of the Ronin as Yojimbo, either for the gunso or the ambassador on round three. We can see what Rie's action will be, if there are no Phoenix is position by the time of Yojimbo, I think we should suggest a Shiba for Khenbish.

[spolier]

Are we going to try the Asahina as Ambassador? If we are, it would probably be better to do that before looking into Priest at all, since one of the reasons was to elimnate a possible candidate from that role.

[/spoiler]

Shiba Rie, surprisingly, doesn't begin the next round of negotiations, instead deferring to her Crane allies.

Tsume Ron thanks Seppun Hirohide fervently for her appointment. , She observes that the Senior Gunso is intended to act in role of field commander, and hence the gunso's yojimbo is the yojimbo most likely to be accompanying the gunso on the front lines of a major engagement. She therefore suggests " a noted warrior even from a clan famed for the prowess and honour of its bushi " - namely Matsu Tomuko.

The Lion is clearly as surprised by the suggestion as most of the other people in the hall, and it takes a second for the implications - and the duties - of the appointment to register. When it does, she catches her breath and her eyes go wide with anger, whilst the barest hint of a nasty smile plays on Ron's lips.

Thanks. That genuinely means a lot.

There's no particular order for resolving anything.

Tsume Ron attempts a Fire Stance courtesy check with Nasu Masumi's assistance (Fire 3, Social 2, skilled assistance) targeting Seppun Hirohide (Base TN4, reduced to TN3 for courtesy checks due to Ron's lower status).

Rolls: Opportunity/Strife, Success/Strife, Success, Explosive Success/Strife x2, Explosive Success

Keeps: Success/Strife, Explosive Success/Strife x2, Explosive Success

Resolve Explosive Success: Opportunity/Strife x 2, Opportunity

Resolve Strife: Gains 4 Strife

Resolve Opportunities: Opportunity x 2 - Cancel 1 Strife, Apply 2 Strife to Matsu Tomuko

Resolve Success: 5 Successes vs Difficulty 3 - succeeds with 6 bonus successes due to fire stance, generating 4 momentum

Persuade Seppun Hirohide (Matsu Tomuko as Yojimbo to Tsume Ron) - 4/5 momentum.

Shinjo Sayaka (4 Strife)

Sayaka once again steps up and bows before Hirohide " I thank you from the bottom of my heart for my appointment, Seppun-sama." She pauses a while before continuing "As Tsume no Doji-san expresses, an experienced Yojimbo would be a must for her services, and I commend her for her choice of candidate. However, if it pleases you Seppun-sama, I feel it is more vital to discuss the ambassador, lest the importance of that office becomes less than that of a bodyguard. It is my humble recommendation that you consider Ashina-san. With such a powerful warrior as Tsume no Doji-san as Gunso, I feel we may need a different perspective both for us and how are are perceived to best carve out the road ahead of us. "

Good catch @Tonbo Karasu !

Fire/Courtesy: Blank, Opportunity, Success/Strife, Opportunity/Success, Explosive

Keep all but blank:

Explosive => Success/Opportunity

4 success, 1 strife (so 5 successes), 3 opportunity

Using one opportunity to give Tsume Ron 2 strife (I think that's suiting, even though it might not really be Sayaka's intention)

One opportunity to reduce the TN by 1 for Khenbish.

One opportunity to reduce the TN by 1 of the next Lion to speak (if that's ok?)

There are murmurs of agreement to the Unicorn's argument at this.

Following on from Sayaka's statement, Bayushi Katsu also stakes his claim - this time to the post of Khenbish's Advisor, noting that " He meant what he said and I tends to keep his word ", both laying out his experience and seeking support from the soon-to-be-appointed castellan.

That's success with 2 bonus successes.

Persuade Seppun Hirohide (Asahina Midori as Ambassador) - 2/5 momentum.

11 hours ago, Zantosa said:

One opportunity to reduce the TN by 1 of the next Lion to speak (if that's ok?)

Sadly, no. The Fire social opportunity is " 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 ", not " 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 +", so can't be used multiple times per turn.

Bayushi Katsu attempts an Air Stance courtesy check (Air 4, Social 4) targeting Seppun Hirohide and Shinjo Khenbish (Base TN4 for Hirohide's vigilance, reduced to TN3 for courtesy checks due to Katsu's lower status).

Rolls: Blank, Opportunity x2, Opportunity/Strife, Explosive Success/Strife x3, Explosive Success

Keeps: Explosive Success/Strife x3, Explosive Success

Resolve Explosive Success:Opportunity, Success, Explosive Success/Strife, Explosive Success > Opportunity, Success/Strife

Resolve Strife: Gains 5 Strife

Resolve Opportunities: Opportunity x2: Provide Skilled assistance to the next character to attempt a check for this objective.

Resolve Success: 8 Successes vs Difficulty 3 - succeeds with 5 bonus success.

Persuade Seppun Hirohide Bayushi Katsu as Advisor) - 3/5 momentum.

Ok, will change opportunity usage to:

(1) Give Tsume Ron 2 two strife

(2) Choose a demand or statement another character in the scene has made. Their player (or the GM, for NPCs) must tell you any hidden motivations behind that demand or statement. (From CoS). Tsume Ron would have to explain why she picked Matsu Tomoko.

Hmm, I might be making enemies!

Technically, I have to explain on her behalf, which is not quite the same.

it's not especially 'hidden' per se, but - well - imagine someone you know and dislike (a) hates your guts and wants you dead, and (b) has an utterly inflexible personal code of honour.

Making them your sworn bodyguard not only removes any possibility of them trying to kill you, but also hurts them by twisting the knife emotionally into the bargain.

Technically it also puts them under your direct command, although as #2 in the garrison's command structure that's kind of the case anyway so it's a minor point by comparison.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

In contrast to his impassioned speech seeking the castellan position, Khenbish is now more humbly accepting the gracious generosity of the Scorpion. He publicly thanks Katsu for the support and says he hopes the re-establishment of Shiro Damebare can be the beginning of many new friendships.

Water(Charm)/Courtesy to Persuade Seppun Hirohide that Bayushi Katsu should be my Advisor (with Skilled Advantage from Katsu)
TN 4 becomes TN 3 since I'm targeting someone with higher status than myself
Roll: Ring : Success Small.png , Opportunity Small.png / Strife Small.png , Opportunity Small.png / Strife Small.png ; Skill : Success Small.png , Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , blank
Keep: Ring : Success Small.png , Opportunity Small.png / Strife Small.png ; Skill : Success Small.png , Success Small.png / Strife Small.png
Resolve Opportunity: One opportunity, which I'll use to reduce my strife by 2, putting me at 6.
Resolve Strife: And then I'll gain 2 strife, putting me back at 8.
Resolve Successes: 3 successes means I succeed but only get 1 momentum. We should be at 4/5.

I'm also going to take a Calming Breath, so my strife should end the round at 7.

Kitsuki Fuji takes Sayaka's argument up, lending the support of his higher status to the Shinjo samurai.

Kitsuki Fuji attempts an Earth Stance courtesy check (Earth 3, Social 2), targeting Seppun Hirohide (Base TN4, reduced to TN3 for courtesy checks due to Fuji's lower status).

Rolls: Success/Strife x 2, Explosive Success/Strife x2, Explosive Success

Keeps: Explosive Success/Strife x2, Explosive Success

Resolve Explosive Success: Success/Strife, Opportunity/Strife, Blank

Resolve Strife: Gains 3 Strife

Resolve Opportunities: Opportunity - increase the TN of Asahina Midori's next social check by 1.

Resolve Success: 4 Successes vs Difficulty 3 - succeeds with 1 bonus successes, generating 1 momentum

Persuade Seppun Hirohide (Asahina Midoro as Ambassador) - 3/5 momentum

On 11/21/2020 at 8:03 AM, Zantosa said:

Hmm, I might be making enemies!

In Rokugani politics, if you're not, you're not doing your job right....

Can I choose to use a skill I have no levels in to get the other benefits of using that skill? Ie make a Courtesy roll with just my ring dice for the approach so that the TN is reduced by 1?