Looking to join a PbP game

By Heritage367, in Your Stories

8 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Can I choose to use a skill I have no levels in to get the other benefits of using that skill? Ie make a Courtesy roll with just my ring dice for the approach so that the TN is reduced by 1?

Yes. A skill check remains a skill check even if your skill rank is 0. So you still have access to techniques that specify "when you make a <skill> check", like kata, get particular generic opportunities, TN changes and so on.

The only consequence of a zero skill rank is not getting to roll any white dice.

@Tonbo Karasu - I think it's just Umeko's turn we're waiting for this round now?

Umeko addresses the room for the first time:

"If we were to analyse the situation of the castle to which we have all been assigned, it would seem that the person who exemplifies the requirements for an ambassador would be Asahina-sama, as has been proposed already, and would be surprised to see them anywhere else."

The statement drops into the conversation like a rock, with no apparent effect other than making the Crane feel slightly uncomfortable.

Oops - I thought we were still waiting on something else.

Earth / Courtesy, spending a Void : [Success/strife], [blank], [blank], [opportunity/strife]

Keep 1 Opp, 1 Strife

Spend opp to increase the TN of Asahina Midori's next check by 1.

That could have gone better... I didn't even have enough successes to trigger an adversity.

Asahina Midori responds, attempting to argue for herself in the post of priest instead, but seems nonplussed by Umeko's remarks, and gains little traction with the audience herself.

Meanwhile, Asako Koharu notes that the other key post still to be filled is the priestly one - that of the spiritual advisor to the post. "Since this is a region not untroubled by landslides and earthquakes, one who can placate the Kami effectively is key - perhaps more so than merely ministering to the needs of those who I have no doubt are pious and honourable already." She says. "We cannot forget that for all the courage and skill that Shinjo Khenbish-san will no doubt show, his garrison remains an insignificant speck on the side of the great northern mountains. The Kami of the Earth and the Winds could erase Shiro Damebare in an instant of rockfall and there is little any mortal hand could do to prevent it."

Across the room, Khenbish sees Kitsu Harumori's eyes close and his shoulders twitch slightly. The Lion samurai is clearly somewhere else, trying to fight down a particularly disturbing memory.

"Since we have one of the honoured Agasha family amongst us, I propose that Agasha Umeko-san is the logical choice."

There are general noises of approval from around the room, especially from the Kitsu healer. One of the Mirumoto, with a suspicious expression, makes to speak, but Shiba Rie follows on from the Agasha courtier before they have a chance.

"I would concur with Asako-san's assessment." Rie says, bowing to the courtier. "The Kami of the northern mountains cannot be treated lightly or carelessly, and a student of the Dragon clan's respected elementalist school is the perfect candidate to see to the garrison's spiritual safety, especially as someone who shares a connection with this territory through their clan's bloodline. I also wholeheartedly offer my support to Agasha Umeko-san for this role."

Seppun Hirohide gives Rie a thoughtful nod, and then turns to gesture at Umeko. "Koharu-san and Rie-san make a compelling argument, and the risk from the elements is one we cannot overlook. I shall therefore assign you to the post, Agasha Umeko-san."

As Rie's implication - that Umeko would find communing with the Kami of Fubuki no Gake more natural than another shujenga because it is Dragon Clan territory - and the fact that Umeko's appointment might imply to someone reading the records of the debate that Hirohide is in agreement with the argument, registers with Fuji and the other Mirumoto samurai, they join their colleague in glaring daggers at the Phoenix.

Meanwhile, the Lion clan representatives speak up - one again acting as a co-ordinated group under Matsu Tomuko's leadership. Tomuko suggests that, in addition to the posts already identified, there is a reasonable argument for assigning a yojimbo to the junior gunso as well - they remain, she says, an officer in the garrison's command structure, and could well find themselves acting castellan, where obviously they would be expected to need a yojimbo.

"I mean no offence to Shinjo Sayaka-san." The Matsu says. "But speed of maneuver has always been the Unicorn's first and greatest defence, and it is not one an ashigaru commander has available. I have heard that some amongst the clan see being forced to fight on foot, or to defend a static position, as a failure in and of itself amongst the bushi of the Clan of the Winds - is that not the case, Sayaka-san?"

Yokoi agrees, supporting Matsu Tomuko; the jisamurai pointing out that if the junior gunso was ever forced to take command, it would most likely be in a moment of crisis where Shinjo Khenbish and Tsume Ron were killed or incapacitated. In that case, the survival of the garrison might well be at stake and there would be little time to debate the appointment to the post. Therefore, he says, it would be well to have the matter established well ahead of time.

After she finishes speaking to the audience, Tomuko catches Agasha Umeko's eye. With two quick gestures, she indicates Shinjo Sayaka, and then Yokoi.

Kitsu Harumori also speaks in favour of the creation of the post, and there seems to be a general support of the idea growing with both the audience and Seppun Hirohide.

Asahina Midori

Asahina Midori attempts a Fire Stance courtesy check (Fire 3, Social 3) targeting Seppun Hirohide (Base TN4 for Hirohide's vigilance, reduced for courtesy checks due to Midori's lower status, increased to TN4 by Agasha Umeko).
Rolls: Blank, Oppportunity x2, Success, Success/Strife, Explosive Success/Strife

Keeps: Success, Success/Strife, Explosive Success/Strife

Resolve Explosive Success: Blank

Resolve Strife: Gains 2 Strife

Resolve Success: Fails

Asako Koharu

Asako Koharu attempts an Air Stance courtesy check (Air 4, Social 3) targeting Seppun Hirohide (Base TN4, reduced to TN3 for courtesy checks due to Koharu's lower status).

Rolls: Blank, Opportunity, Success x2, Explosive Success/Strife x2, Explosive Success

Keeps: Success, Explosive Success/Strife x2, Explosive Success

Resolve Explosive Success: Success/Strife x 2, Explosive Success > Blank

Resolve Strife: Gains 4 Strife

Resolve Success: 7 Successes vs Difficulty 3 - succeeds with 4 bonus successes, generating 3 momentum

• Persuade Seppun Hirohide (Agasha Umeko as Priest) - 3/5 momentum

This also triggers Kitsu Harumori's Traumatic Memory anxiety, giving him 3 strife and 1 void point.

Shiba Rie

Shiba Rie attempts a Water Stance courtesy check (Water 4, Social 3) targeting Seppun Hirohide (Base TN3, reduced for courtesy checks due to Rie's lower status, increased back to TN3 by Kitsuki Fuji).

Rolls: Opportunity x 2, Success/Strife, Success, Explosive Success/Strife x3

Keeps: Success, Explosive Success/Strife x3

Resolve Explosive Success: Success, Opportunity/Strife

Resolve Opportunities: Opportunity - Remove 2 Strife

Resolve Success: 5 Successes vs Difficulty 3 - succeeds with 2 bonus successes.

• Persuade Seppun Hirohide (Agasha Umeko as Priest) - 5/5 momentum and complete

Matsu Tomuko

Matsu Tomuko attempts a Water Stance courtesy check with Yokoi's assistance (Water 3, Social 1, unskilled assistance) targeting Seppun Hirohide (Base TN4, reduced to TN3 for courtesy checks due to Tomuko's lower status).

Rolls: Opportunity, Opportunity/Strife, Success x2, Explosive Success/Strife

Keeps: Opportunity, Success x2, Explosive Success/Strife

Resolve Explosive Success: Opportunity/Strife

Resolve Opportunities: Opportunity x 2 - Asks a question of Shinjo Sayaka - if you answer honestly she will gain 1 momentum and you may ask a question in return for the same effect

Resolve Success: 3 Successes vs Difficulty 3, generating 1 momentum

Persuade Seppun Hirohide (Create Junior Gunso's Yojimbo Post) - 1/5 momentum if you do not answer, 2/5 if you do.

Additional Water Stance action: passes message to Umeko

Kitsu Harumori

Kitsu Harumori and attempts an Air Stance courtesy check (Air 4, Social 3, Seize the Moment ) targeting Seppun Hirohide (Base TN4, reduced to TN3 for courtesy checks due to Harumori's lower status).

Rolls: Opportunity x 2, Opportunity/Strife, Success/Strife x 2, Success x2

Keeps: Opportunity, Success/Strife, Success x2

Resolve Strife: Gains 1 Strife

Resolve Opportunities: Opportunity - Remove 1 strife gained in this check

Resolve Success: 3 Successes vs Difficulty 3 - succeeds with no bonus successes, generating 1 momentum

• Persuade Seppun Hirohide (Create Junior Gunso's Yojimbo Post) - 2/5 momentum if you do not answer, 3/5 if you do.

This will end the turn once you answer (or decline to answer) Tomuko's question.

It's fairly clear from her gestures that she's trying to get the experienced leader of ashigaru (Yokoi) attached to the garrison's ashigaru commander - which is, to be fair, not a bad idea.

Currently in play objectives:

• Asahina Midori as Castellan's Ambassador - 3/5 momentum
  • Bayushi Katsu as Castellan's Advisor - 4/5 momentum
  • Matsu Tomuko as Senior Gunso's Yojimbo - 4/5 momentum
  • Create post of Junior Gunso's Yojimbo - 2-3/5 momentum

Completed objectives

• Shinjo Khenbish as Castellan
  • Tsume Ron as Senior Gunso
  • Shinjo Sayaka as Junior Gunso
  • Agasha Umeko as Castellan's Priest

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Umeko nods to Tomuko and gives a twisted smile to Yokoi.

Shinjo Sayaka (4 Strife)

" It is ." Sayaka agrees. So much more could be said on the matter, but she wasn't some grand strategist who could easily turn weakness into strength, or a retreat into an ambush. She was a solider. What had she gotten herself into? At least she knew enough that she'd probably make a fool of her family and self if she tried to explain further, and the bottom line of the statement was true. " Seppun-sama, Matus-san. You honor me with this very suggestion. " She draws a finger across her Kimono as she bows, to ward off the evil omen that her superiors may die - and the suggestion of an even worse fate - that she would somehow still be alive when that happened. Still, they raised a valid point. " But perhaps more urgent, who do you feel is most suited towards being Shinjo Khenbish-sans Yojimbo, so this terrible scenario never comes to pass? "

If possible, I'll use the momentum towards the Advisor. It's not Sayaka's direct objective, but it's the groups? Otherwise, it goes to the ambassador.

"A good question, and a hard one to answer." Tomuko responds. "Short of holding a tournament, I would hesitate to say 'this samurai is the strongest swordsman amongst us', and surely that is the person who should protect our castellan. I see the matter as simple; the castellan's yojimbo guards from overt threats whilst their other aides deal with dangers subtle and the spiritual."

The Matsu samurai makes an open-handed gesture to the hall. "I see at least one samurai whose dress makes me think they have been trained at the Path of Hojatsu, for example, and another who shows the signs of a graduate of Tsuma. I would not dare voice an opinion on the relative skills of that particular rivalry."

Tomuko's honest response gives you 1 extra momentum for the objective Persuade Seppun Hirohide (Bayushi Katsu as Advisor) , taking it to 5/5 momentum and completed.

In case people don't recognise the names, that's the Mirumoto Niten School and the Kakita Duelling Academy respectively...

Edited by Magnus Grendel

This is amazing. There is so much going on.

Katsu should be able to finish off getting the advisor position on his own, and I feel like my obligation is satisfied. I don't feel strongly that there is an especially good or bad choice here, and with a finite amount of resources that we can invest, I think we might have better battles to fight. Edit: Looks like this is accomplished. Nice.

Midori as Ambassador doesn't seem as important anymore, since the Priest position is secured. Maybe this is another one we can afford to just let play out?

Tomuko as Rin's yojimbo feels pretty messed up. This is definitely where I want to invest my energy this turn. I think I make a bid for Tomuko to be my yojimbo? The idea being, if she's all that, she should be protecting the castellan. This works with my goals to build trust between the Unicorn and Lion. I think I would even switch back to Fire Stance, though it risks me getting Compromised. Would either of you Assist/try the same? If we team up with the Lion, I think we can get that 5 momentum pretty quickly (and it would have to be quick, since the objective to be Rin's yojimbo is already at 4/5).

If Sayaka is cool with a jisamurai as her yojimbo, that seems pretty solid. Probably the next best thing we could have hoped for with Yokoi.

Edited by MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving

I aim to please!

I agree that the ambassador can pan out. If something strange happens, we might need to put the fire out though.

I like the idea of trying to steal Tomuko, we might just not have enough time to do so - unless Katsu throws interruptions again. Tsume-san might be dangerously close full strife too?

I do however feel that Sayaka needs to put an effort into getting one of the Ronin represented as Yojimbo. I'm unsure how many would support that. Maybe should try for the yet unassigned Ambassador?

Sayaka is quite dumb-founded by the idea that someone would protect her, and wouldn't mind at all really. She'd rather have a hardened veteran at her side than someone who looks nice in kimono any day of the year! I more feel bad for the poor Yojimbo who'd have to follow her on horseback.

That reminds me, we still have an ace in the hole with Born in the Saddle, but it might be tricky to pull of in these premises. These posh rokugani has probably never shared a meal with a horse!

8 minutes ago, Zantosa said:

That reminds me, we still have an ace in the hole with Born in the Saddle, but it might be tricky to pull of in these premises. These posh rokugani has probably never shared a meal with a horse!

....yeah, I think that'd be pushing it.

8 minutes ago, Zantosa said:

Sayaka is quite dumb-founded by the idea that someone would protect her, and wouldn't mind at all really

Without talking to Tomuko, it's hard to know what proportion is "protect the gunso" and what proportion is "make sure someone who has at least a vague idea what an effective spear formation looks like is nearby to make helpful 'suggestions' to the gunso "....

2 hours ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

This is amazing. There is so much going on.

And not just in the room itself.

Rie and Koharu are clearly far more bothered on how what happens plays in the courts debating ownership of Chisanryu than it's effect on Shiro Damebare.

Surprisingly, the next to speak is Bayushi Katsu, who thanks Matsu Tomuko for her candour and wisdom. The Scorpion follows this by giving his own views on a yojimbo's function - namely that in addition to being one's champion in a duel when commander to do so, a Yojimbo must also provide an alert guard and a tireless guard for the close protection of their principal.

" These are skills not as easily learned on the battlefield where the enemy is obvious, or the duelling grounds where honour is all, as one might hope. They are nevertheless vital, and - as one might imagine - schools exist throughout the Empire to teach and perfect them. I believe one such noted school resides in Yasuki Yashidi, and that Yasuki Keigonin-san ," he bows to the Crab samurai, " hails from the Black Crane Estates ."

Bayushi Katsu attempts an Air Stance courtesy check (Air 4, Social 4) targeting Seppun Hirohide and Shinjo Khenbish (Base TN4 for Hirohide's vigilance, reduced to TN3 for courtesy checks due to Katsu's lower status).

Rolls: Opportunity x3, Success/Strife x2, Explosive Success/Strife x2, Success

Keeps: Success/Strife, Explosive Success/Strife x2, Success

Resolve Explosive Success: Blank, Success

Resolve Strife: Gains 3 Strife

Resolve Success: 5 Successes vs Difficulty 3 - succeeds with 2 bonus success.

Persuade Seppun Hirohide (Yasuki Keigonin as Castellan's Yojimbo) - 2/5 momentum.

If I go for the objective of making Matsu Tomuko my yojimbo, would I have an Assist from Umeko? Or anyone else?

3 hours ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

If I go for the objective of making Matsu Tomuko my yojimbo, would I have an Assist from Umeko? Or anyone else?

I'm probably better for assisting than anything else, so yes. It appears that being your bodyguard is a coveted post :)

because clearly Matsu couldn't have any sort of ulterior motive...

@Magnus Grendel , just checking, but I'm not getting an Assist from anyone else, am I? The Lion are rolling for themselves?

Edit: Actually, is there any way Paragon of Compassion could come into play? Since I'm doing this to avoid the cruelty to Matsu Tomuko?

Edited by MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving

4 hours ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

I'm not getting an Assist from anyone else, am I?

Not unless it's another PC.

4 hours ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

Actually, is there any way Paragon of Compassion could come into play? Since I'm doing this to avoid the cruelty to Matsu Tomuko?

...Maybe?

You can, but it would only really count if you are arguing it on the basis of compassion - which means explaining that it is cruel.

Which is possible but means calling Tsume Ron (who, let's not forget, is your immediate subordinate and someone you'll need to work with and rely on to exercise effective command in the garrison) on the reasons for her nomination and openly saying (a) " you're a liar " and (b) " you're a vindictive, petty jerk " to the garrison's field commander.

It would probably also require you to explain why Tomuko's nomination for a theoretically prestigious post is cruel, which means dragging up Ron's rumoured actions at Toshi Ranbo, and why it's especially traumatic for Tomuko more than the Lion in general, in a big public forum.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

"I applaud our senior gunso-to-be on his taste. I too have been impressed by Matsu Tomuko-san. If she is the warrior you have heard her to be, then as commander of the army, I must request she be appointed as my yojimbo. But I am eager to hear from the Lion contingent on their thoughts on the matter. They have perhaps better insight than any of us as to where Tomuko's gifts might best serve the Emperor. "

Fire/Courtesy targeting Seppun Hirohide (Objective: Matsu Tomuko as yojimbo to the castellan)
Would be TN4, but reduced to TN3 because I'm lower status that the target and using Courtesy.
Roll: Ring : Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Success Small.png , Success Small.png , Opportunity Small.png / Strife Small.png ; Skill : Opportunity Small.png , blank
Keep: Ring : Success Small.png / Strife Small.png , Success Small.png , Success Small.png , Opportunity Small.png / Strife Small.png
Resolve Opportunity: One opportunity. I'll reduce the TN by 1 for the next person working towards this objective (assumed to be the Lion).
Resolve Strife: Two strife puts me at 9 (out of 10).
Resolve Successes: 3 successes is success at the action. Two strife means two bonus successes, which should be 2/5 momentum for the objective.

Not as good as I was hoping for, but 2 momentum and lowering the TN puts Tomuko halfway there. We just need them to go next!

Tomuko seems almost as surprised by Khenbish's proposal as she did by Tsume Ron's, and her unprepared response reflects this.

"I seem to be greatly in demand ." She jokes. "I think, Shinjo-san, that your contribution to the debate that we seem to have started would be worthwhile. I have suggested a Yojimbo guards a commander's back in battle. Katsu-san suggests they must first protect their ward in darkened rooms and back alleys. Both are true. But there is another function. Tradition and protocol dictates the yojimbo fight on their Lord's behalf in duels. What would happen were you. .." Tomuko displays admirable restraint in not even glancing at Kitsu Harumori here, "... to somehow become involved in any private grievances? "

Tsume Ron and Nash Masami meanwhile speak up, following on from the train of thought. The various functions of a Yojimbo are all significant, but for a military garrison, she says, only one truly matters. As the senior gunso is the officer whose duties will take them into the field most commonly - " As Seppun-sama rightly noted ", it follows that they have the most need of a gifted sword at their back.

Sadly, it seems the use of Seppun Hirohide own words have convinced him, and at this he nods and gestures to Matsu Tomuko, stating that " I shall appoint you to the position of Yojimbo to the senior gunso ."

Matsu Tomuko attempts a Water Stance courtesy check (Water 3, Social 1,) targeting Seppun Hirohide (Base TN4, reduced to TN3 for courtesy checks due to Tomuko's lower status, and to TN2 by Shinjo Khenbish).

Rolls: Blank, Opportunity, Opportunity/Strife, Success, Explosive Success/Strife

Keeps: Opportunity, Opportunity/Strife, Success, Explosive Success/Strife

Resolve Explosive Success: Blank

Resolve Opportunities: Opportunity x2: Asks a question unrelated to the objective.

Resolve Success: 1 Success vs Difficulty 2, fails

Persuade Seppun Hirohide (Tomuko as Castellan's Yojimbo) - 2/5 momentum (3 if you answer her question).

That was the closest I can get with her roll. Sadly, even if you answer honestly and then get her to respond, that only puts you on 4 momentum - not quite enough!

The exchange of questions is still worthwhile as you can use the bonus momentum towards something else (do your best to shape the question appropriately..)

Tsume Ron attempts a Water Stance courtesy check with Nasu Masumi's assistance (Water 3, Social 2, skilled assistance) targeting Seppun Hirohide and Matsu Tomuko (Base TN4, reduced to TN3 for courtesy checks due to Ron's lower status).

Rolls: Blank, Opportunity, Success x2, Explosive Success/Strife

Keeps: Opportunity, Success x2, Explosive Success/Strife

Resolve Explosive Success: Success

Resolve Strife: Gains 1 Strife

Resolve Opportunities: Opportunity - Apply 2 Strife to Matsu Tomuko

Resolve Success: 4 Successes vs Difficulty 3 - succeeds with 1 bonus successes due to fire stance, generating 1 momentum

Persuade Seppun Hirohide (Matsu Tomuko as Yojimbo to Tsume Ron) - 5/5 momentum and complete.

bonus water stance action: calming breath

Shinjo Sayaka (7 strife)

" Seppun-sama, a most wise decision to appoint Tomuko-san as yojimbo ." She bows deeply. " If it pleases you, I will advocate for another yojimbo. There has been a lot of discussion about the dangers a Yojimbo must face, and I must say all the speakers have swayed me the wisdom of their arguments. There is one danger though as of yet not discussed, and that's the danger of the locals. I feel a someone more accustomed to living close to the land, and someone relatively familiar with the area, would serve excellently, seeing things we creatures of the courts wouldn't. I recommend... " she falters, hesitates for a moment. Just as she was to suggest Chinatsu, but unexplainable pangs of jealousy interrupts her, and she feels her cheeks heat up. " My apologies Seppun-sama, the food was so delicious, I must have eaten to much. " She pauses slightly to regain focus " As I was saying, I recommend Hakane-san. If the Dragon trust to bring them on this endeavor, so must I. " she states, maybe a bit to quick and forceful, pushing down the warmth on her cheeks. " Perhaps Seppun-sama, this Yojimbo would be best suited for our ambassador, who might have more unpredicatable encounters than anyone else? " She bows again as she finishes, avoiding looking at Chinatsu but instead making a smaller bow to Hakane.

Assuming assist from Chinatsu!

Fire/Courtesy: Success/Strife, Explosive/Strife, Opportunity/Strife, Opportunity, Success/Opportunity

Keep: All but opportunity/strife

Explosive -> Success/Strife

4 successes, 3 strife (so 7 successes), 2 opportunity

1 opportunity to give Tsume-san another 2 strife

1 opportunity to lower the TN for the next to advocate for Hakane.

Not sharing the strife.

Chinatsu appears a little confused, but nevertheless speaks in support of Sayaka's nomination.

The Mirumoto who was interrupted by Shiba Rie earlier also supports the proposal, introducing herself as Mirumoto Megumi - presumably the previously unnamed ' Mirumoto-sama ' who retained the Nanashi ronin. Her compliments are somewhat begrudging - reminding Sayaka that Hakane appears to have changed employer in the time since she first met the ronin - but she speaks emotively of Hakane's skills and suitability for the role. Hakane herself accepts the compliments with the best grace she can muster - she is clearly somewhat overawed by the attention of the high-status nobles in the room, all the more so when she is addressed by Seppun Hirohide personally to confirm her appointment.

Hakane and Chinatsu are friends (as you could probably tell from their appearance in the bath-house, despite their differences, so don't worry on that score.

TN3 (courtesy check targeting Hirohide) means 4 bonus successes, which means 3/5 momentum.

Mirumoto Megumi is a Loyal Bushi. She attempts a Fire Stance courtesy check with Hakane's assistance (Fire 3, Social 1, Skilled Assistance) targeting Seppun Hirohide (Base TN4 for Hirohide's vigilance, reduced to TN3 for courtesy checks due to Katsu's lower status).

Rolls: Opportunity, Success, Explosive Success/Strife x2, Explosive Success

Keeps: Opportunity, Explosive Success/Strife x2, Explosive Success

Resolve Explosive Success:Opportunity x2, Success, Explosive Success/Strife > Opportunity/Strife

Resolve Opportunities: Opportunity x4: Reduce the TN of Agasha Umeko's next Social Check, Increase the Difficulty of Asahina Midori's next Social Check if it does not target Mirumoto Megumi, Anyone performing a Scheme action targeting Mirumoto Megumi receives 2 strife.

Resolve Success: 4 Successes vs Difficulty 3 - succeeds with 5 bonus success (fire stance), gaining 3 momentum.

Persuade Seppun Hirohide (Hakane as Ambassador's Yojimbo) - 6/5 momentum and complete.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Did Khenbish use Umeko's assistance? If not, she's the only PC still to act this round, whilst the Lion and Phoenix haven't acted yet, and nor has Kitsuki Fuji.

Midori will be doing a calming breath because she's basically unable to act without having a spontaneous aneurism if she doesn't.

The only outstanding appointments are the ambassador - where Midori has a commanding lead - and Sayaka and Khenbish's yojimbo - where Yokoi and Yasuki Keigonin respectively are in the lead.

Umeko has sorta/kinda implied support for Yokoi, otherwise I don't think you have any particular dogs in the fight.

Midori's appointment was mostly about getting her out of Umeko's way, and the Dragon already has the post she wanted. That doesn't invalidate the arguments you made, and she is probably a pretty good choice, though.

Katsu presumably has some reason for pushing the Yasuki, but he's sat too far round the hall for an incidental exchange of words, so unless you publicly challenge him on it across the floor, or spend an action to talk to him privately, or spend 2 fire opportunities to "determine hidden motivations" you're not going to know what it is.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

So sorry! I somehow missed this last post. I'm following this topic, so I'm not sure how that happened, but my apologies. I think maybe I thought the email I got was regarding the previous post? I feel bad for slowing things down. I'm super into this game.

I did use assistance from Umeko, so I guess we're done for the round.

I went into this not expecting us to get everything we wanted and knowing that there would be secret motivations and objectives we couldn't control for. I won't be surprised if we later find out why some appointments are better or worse than we knew. But based on the knowledge we had, I think we did pretty well. We got the appointments that we wanted for ourselves. Most of the other appointments seem okay (if these last two shake out how they look like they're going to). The only real tragedy is poor Matsu Tomuko. I feel a little better knowing I did what I could, even switching back to Fire Stance at the risk of becoming compromised, trying to get more successes.

are people bothered about resolving the other appointments 'longhand'? If people are bothered, then yes, if not, we can tie up the scene here with the end of the turn and skip to the official investigate.

There's so little to tie-up, and it looks like players probably won't be involved in it. I'm okay with wrapping up the scene however you want to.

Thats fine with me! I am mostly just curious about if Tsume-san will explode or not!