Looking to join a PbP game

By Heritage367, in Your Stories

The most recent FAQ added a load of guidance on optional rules.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/02/45/0245843c-6a52-4254-ad2e-eca25b2845cf/errata__faq_v30_8_12_2020_hq.pdf

I'm assuming people would want the chance to either be in charge of, or at least senior officers of, the garrison? It's not really "...and consequences" if you're not making the decisions.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Quick question for someone with Celestial Realms - how do alchemical potions work? I assume that they are stored invocations like wards, but which skill do they use and are there actually any rules differences?

I don't have celestial realms, but the beta version included potions:

"Alchemists such as the Agasha are renowned for sealing the gifts of the Kami within admixtures of various sacred ingredients

Preparation Check: Medicine

Additional Requirements: Blessed Glass Container, 1 bu of alchemical supplies

Activation: A character can drink a potion to activate it, in which case it affects the imbiber. Alternatively, a character can throw a potion at a target character or area as an action (A Martial Arts [ranged] check with a TN equal to the number of range bands between the character and the target, to a minimum of 1). If the character succeeds, the invocation activates at the chosen target or point ."

I'm a touch hesitant to use rules I don't have access to, but I am only waiting for Drivethrurpg at this point (glares at the website)......

Edited by Magnus Grendel
2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I'm a touch hesitant to use rules I don't have access to, but I am only waiting for Drivethrurpg at this point (glares at the website)......

You're not the only one...

That makes at least three of us! I don't think there's anything from Celestial Realms that I need for this character though.

Should we PM you the full 20 Questions (assuming there will be some tweaks, to fit your style and your needs for this game)?

Sounds good. I'll start sketching out some NPCs.

So far so good. Amongst the cadre assembling are:

• Shinjo Khenbish
  • Agasha Umeko

@Heritage367 has suggested they'll be using a Kaiu engineer.

If you don't know one another prior to the campaign start, it's quite likely you might start talking to one another early on - for example, one of Khenbish's distinguishing features is some very elegant looking gaijin-made scale armour - since Khenbish doesn't have smithing himself, the flashily dressed Agasha part-alchemist-part-smith is one of the most obvious people to talk to about maintaining it.

Other than the three of you, I'll throw up a bunch of NPCs. The whole 'garrison cadre' is something like twenty or thirty individuals (not counting heimin labourers or ashigaru other than NCOs) - big for a watchtower, small for a true castle.

As yet, no-one has any specific assigned posts (figuring out who takes which roles - and associated titles - will be something that happens early on).

The likely titles associated with the fort will be:

• One Castellan , nominally in overall command
  • One or Two Gunso and One Esteemed Negotiator as retainers to the Castellan
  • Advisors and Yojimbo as retainers to any of the above, as nominated.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Khenbish, are you up for being in-laws somehow? I was considering being part of the Dragon-Unicorn marriage agreement - the one where Unicorn with a dead spouse and children marry into the Dragon to get our population numbers going positive. This may also provide 1 or more NPCs.

Oh, definitely! That seems like a fun idea. Maybe you married my older sibling? Is this agreement in the current lore?

I'm updating Kaiu Hatsune with the 20 extra HP. I would assume he'd be in charge of maintaining and improving defenses.

9 hours ago, Heritage367 said:

I'm updating Kaiu Hatsune with the 20 extra HP. I would assume he'd be in charge of maintaining and improving defenses.

That's entirely up to the castellan - whose identity is yet to be determined.

We can certainly assume that the crab have sent you north assuming that's what you'd be used for, though.

Is the Castellan position on the table for players?

17 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I dig this. Are you thinking my sibling would be one of the NPCs here with us (potentially nieces and nephews too)? If they're around, let me toast to a Blissful Betrothal. 🍶

Edited by MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving
1 hour ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

I dig this. Are you thinking my sibling would be one of the NPCs here with us (potentially nieces and nephews too)? If they're around, let me toast to a Blissful Betrothal. 🍶

I was going to let @Magnus Grendel decide whether he wanted them to be with us or not - I can see the potential for good RP both ways.

2 hours ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

As noted, there'll be an opening scene or set of scenes that are intrigues to decide who gets what titles. Even if you're not a credible candidate, you'll still be able to weigh in to support or oppose someone.

20 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

As noted, there'll be an opening scene or set of scenes that are intrigues to decide who gets what titles. Even if you're not a credible candidate, you'll still be able to weigh in to support or oppose someone.

After all, we must follow the old aristocratic tradition of giving a position to not who is the best qualified but to whomever has the right connections.

Edited by Diogo Salazar
13 hours ago, Diogo Salazar said:

After all, we must follow the old aristocratic tradition of giving a position to not who us the best qualified but to whomever has the right connections.

Well, the traditional view of the celestial order says that the highest status person (or their nominated candidate) is clearly the most qualified...

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I'd be interested if you still have a spot.

Hey @Magnus Grendel ! As I was exploring concepts, a few other questions came up.

1. Do you want my sibling/Umeko's spouse to be there? (and also, potentially, my nephews and nieces/Umeko's step-kids).
2. Do we know which clan's territory the Imperial holding is nested in?
3. Are there any mechanics that you know won't come up? For example, I'd hate to make a character good at Mass Battles if we know that part of the game won't be explored.

Also, in general, what are our next steps? Should we be trying to finish up characters or should we wait for details about NPCs or other details of the game?

11 hours ago, Zantosa said:

I'd be interested if you still have a spot.

You'd be welcome. As noted, you'll need a starting character with 20xp extra spent.

34 minutes ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

Do you want my sibling/Umeko's spouse to be there? (and also, potentially, my nephews and nieces/Umeko's step-kids).

I'd like to know who they are. Odds are they wouldn't be there, because this isn't a 'bring your family' posting.

34 minutes ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

Do we know which clan's territory the Imperial holding is nested in?

You've been told 'north' in a slightly evasive fashion. Gathering information alongside jockeying for command positions would also be a good idea.

35 minutes ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

3. Are there any mechanics that you know won't come up? For example, I'd hate to make a character good at Mass Battles if we know that part of the game won't be explored.

I would expect intrigues, skirmishes and mass battles all to be feasible. Duels are....largely up to you lot, but if they come up I'm not going to shy away.

Note that Blood and Consequences uses one-roll duels, and the grittier game rules, so they're basically a single martial arts check with instant death hanging on the result - just warning you.....

38 minutes ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

Also, in general, what are our next steps? Should we be trying to finish up characters or should we wait for details about NPCs or other details of the game

I was waiting for @Heritage367 and @Zantosa to provide their characters.

We can start - at least narratively - once I've got them.

@Tonbo Karasu , I'll let you decide more of the details about our shared family, since I think it will affect your story (& potentially mechanics) more than mine. I'm curious on your thoughts!

@Heritage367 and @Zantosa , I look forward to hearing about your characters!

Right - got initial outlines of everyone:

• Shinjo Khenbish
  • Shinjo Sayaka
  • Agasha Umeko
  • Kaiu Hatsune

Umeko and Khenbish are relatives by marriage, Khenbish and Sayaka are probably at least loosely related - could do with a link between Hatsune and others....could just be friends, but it'd be worth establishing how (given Hatsune is from the other end of the empire from the other three) - apparently there was a case of Hatsune being really diplomatic at court.

Another Shinjo! Awesome! Are you also an Outrider, @Zantosa ? I had planned Khenbish as having at least served, if not grown up, in Khanbulak and having lots of siblings. I can be flexible with background to make something work if you wanted to be, say, cousins?

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

[C]o uld do with a link between Hatsune and others....could just be friends, but it'd be worth establishing how (given Hatsune is from the other end of the empire from the other three) - apparently there was a case of Hatsune being really diplomatic at court.

Oh, how you jest! But some sort of connection would be good. Perhaps Hatsune has a sibling who married into the Agasha or vice versa? Both families are into smithing and/or making things.

1 hour ago, Heritage367 said:

Oh, how you jest! But some sort of connection would be good. Perhaps Hatsune has a sibling who married into the Agasha or vice versa? Both families are into smithing and/or making things.

I could work with that. How would you like to know a sibling of mine who trained with the Kaiu?