Looking to join a PbP game

By Heritage367, in Your Stories

3 hours ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

Another Shinjo! Awesome! Are you also an Outrider, @Zantosa ? I had planned Khenbish as having at least served, if not grown up, in Khanbulak and having lots of siblings. I can be flexible with background to make something work if you wanted to be, say, cousins?

Yes! Shinjo Sayaka is also an outrider. @MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving

I actually like the sibling part, and have no issues rewriting/rethinking parts for it if that works for you?

I saw Sayaka as one of the younger children, more left to her own devices than being put into a position of responsibility, with a rather dominant/absent matriarchal mother running the family. Having being raised in Khanbulak works for me, even though they've served differently. Two suggestions:

• Step-siblings. Either with a shared mother or a more complex situation (with some unexpected (as far as that goes for a samurai) mortality rather than some affair).
  • Twins. I did write Sayaka's father as dead before her birth, but I'm not committed to that if you've got something else!

Also an older sister, Shinjo Aris a, who's been important to Sayaka. Would like to keep her!

I think that's probably enough to get started. My usual approach is sticking checks and other out-of-character stuff in spoilers from here

(If you've not seen that before, you

[•spoiler•] write like this [•/spoiler•]

but without the •, which gives

a 'spoilers box' like this.

So....setting the opening scenes.

Shiro Yogasha is, if not the largest fortress in the Empire, certainly one of the most politically important. It is the official seat of office of the two Jewelled Champions - Emerald and Ruby - and the headquarters of the Emerald Magistrature.

The four of you have made the journey to the castle from a nearby riverport where you met. You have all been ordered by your respective lords to travel to the Emerald Champion's fortress for today, to join a new Imperial Garrison.

Khenbish and Sayaka made the journey along Drowned Merchant River, joining Khenbish's Agasha in-law Umeko en route in Dragonfly clan lands, whilst Kaiu Hatsue came around the coast on a Yasuki family trading ship and travelled upriver, arriving at almost the same time.

Shiro Yogasha sees a continuous stream of arriving Emerald Magistrates, petitioners from various Clans and bureaucrats from Otosan Uchi bringing edicts and rulings.

Nonetheless, it's clear that today in particular there's quite a sizeable number of other guests: at least a dozen, maybe two dozen, fellow samurai are being received by the staff of the castle.

Your names are taken by the guards at the main gate, and one of the Yoriki, a Dragon Clan samurai named Kitsuki Tomo, is assigned to show you to rooms in the Invited Guests quarters in the western wing of the castle.

Edited by Magnus Grendel
1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I could work with that. How would you like to know a sibling of mine who trained with the Kaiu?

I like it!

Okay, family time!

My husband is Agasha (formerly Shinjo) Batudai. He had two children with his wife Shinjo (formerly Ide) Chikako before she died while trading on the Sand Road. Their children are Sakura (8) and Eisaku (6).

My younger brother Agasha Takeshi received training at the Kaiu school at the same time as Hatsue (part of a deal for jade) [Maybe Hatsue had a relative who came to the Agasha lands??]

My parents are Agasha Toru and Kosori and the now-retired grandfather is Wefu.

"Ah, Kitsuki-sama. Do you know when we need to present ourselves? It would be good to wash off the dust from the road."

The yoriki makes a dismissive gesture. "Please, Agasha-san; I am an assistant here, and am no-one's 'sama'. You should have ample opportunity to recover - you are, as I'm sure you saw, not the first to arrive, but you are also certainly not the last; the Crane - forgive my bluntness - do love to make an entrance at a dramatic 'last minute'. I have little business with the legions myself, but I heard that Seppun Hirohide - Champion Satsume has delegated the matter to him to avoid any perceived conflict of interest - plans to discuss matters with you as a group over an evening meal - giving you most of the afternoon to yourselves, and - within reason - the freedom of Shiro Yogasha. "

Knowing Kitsuki Tomo would be an earth/culture check but since he's a fellow Dragon it's trivial and no roll is required. He's a former side to the Dragon Clan ambassador to Otosan Uchi - a few months back he had a pretty drastic change of career and, wanting to 'work to achieve justice' decided to enlist in the Emerald Magistrature - and as a mere Yoriki rather than pulling strings to get awarded a magistrate's title. The Chief Yoriki is a fellow Kitsune - Kitsune Kagi, which might have something to do with it.

Seppun Hirohide is an Emerald Magistrate so you won't know him automatically. Knowing anything much of his history is a TN2 recall (earth)/government check, or TN1 for Kaiu Hatsune specifically.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Quick check - how are you running dice?

However you want - roll-bot, actual dice, phone app, whatever. Post up the rolled and kept results.

(I will hopefully remember let you know when defining the check if you need to wait for any input from me between rolling and choosing or spending results due to advantages, disadvantages or other dice-fettling abilities like Way of the Dragon ). If you think you have an advantage that applies, let me know and wait for a nod.

Oh - in addition to the Government check; someone could instead make a TN 2 Survey (Water)/Design or culture check, they can mentally catalogue any other guests they caught sight of whilst Tomo was leading them to and through the Invited Guests quarters.

Sayaka's Keen Sight advantage will definitely apply, and - if using Design rather than Culture, so would Umeko's Fashion advantage.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

As she had been walking through the bustling castle, Umeko was carefully taking mental note of any new and interesting fashion being worn by the inhabitants and visitors. It looked like tree motifs were notable? Maybe she would be lucky enough to spot something that had been made in Otosan Uchi. Instead, her eyes were drawn to something competely different, which completely distracted her line of thought.

Water/Design - R: Opportunity/Strife; Blank S: Success/Opportunity. Keep: 1 Success, 2 Opportunity, 1 Strife.

Fail. Use OO to spot something interesting unrelated (sorry). Gain 1 Strife. Use Passion to remove Strife.

Shinjo Sayaka

---

Shinjo Sayaka is above average rokugani height with the lithe build expected of a Unicorn. Her skin is darker, but that could be constant exposure to sun as much as heritage. She carries a traditional daisho, even though it's position is more adjusted for a life on horseback. Her travelling clothes are, unexpectedly, constantly covered with dust, even though she painstakingly cleans them off as well as anyone could before resting every night during their travels. It doesn't quite remove the smell of horse on her though. She's an easy conversationalist and likes singing as a way of passing time during travels - even though she lacks real talent for it, it's easy to just join in and she'll gladly share lyrics of songs from strange parts of the empire - as best she can remember them anyway. As much as she seems jovial and easy-going, there's a definite darkness lurking below the surface, bidding it's time to lash out.

Her horse is named Fumiko is an imposing horse, at least compared to the ponies present in the rest of Rokugan. The mare clearly has a will of it's own, and at times it seems more like they two of them bargain and argue - like an old married heimin couple - rather than Sayaka being fully in control.

---

The journey had been long. Not that it bothered her, it always felt like she'd spent more of her life travelling somewhere than actually staying at a given destination. It had been good to reconnect with her older brother. He had not changed much, which felt relaxing. They had met with Agasha Umeko, who was introduced as her oldest brother Badutai's second wife. Sayaka had no idea his first wife had died, less that he had remarried. While passing a small temple she had offered a silent prayer and sacrificed some rice in hope that whatever haunted their mother had not passed off to Badutai.

Walking felt like such a chore, and she must have looked like a sailor just home from a long journey at sea for the first mile. But after they met up with their last travel companion, it would have been rude not to. She even offered her horse Fumiko for one of her companion to ride, but the sly animal must have heard and decided to become skittish for a while, so she quickly offered to use it as a pack-animal instead, to make the last stretch of travel less arduous.

As they enter the castle, her curious eyes surveys both it's inhabitants and in particular vantage points. She'd love to get up high and gaze at the surrounding terrain. Even the road they had traveled would look different. She had left Fumiko outside with a vague promise of food.

" Thank you, Kitsuki-san. " She'd never heard of this Seppun Hirode and felt a wave of shame. Was she expected to? " These are fabulous quarters. " She distracts herself by saying.

Earth/Government: Opportunity/Strife and Blank. Keep Blank.

Water/Culture: Success, Success/Strife, Explosive/Strife, Opportunity -> Reroll Success/Strife (Keen Sight) -> Same. Keep Success, Explosive/Strife, Opportunity. Explosive -> Explosive/Strife (Keep) -> Success. Final tally: Success, Explosive/Strife, Explosive/Strife, Success, Opportunity for a total of 4 successes, 2 strife and 1 opportunity. Use opportunity to reduce strife by 2, so effectively 4 successes.

Across a small courtyard from the Invited Guests quarters is the Ruby Dojo - seat of the Ruby Champion within Shiro Yogasha.

Umeko is surprised and distracted to note a banner with a familiar mon - an adapted form of the familiar Agasha mon she wears herself, paired with designs of a chrysanthemum blossom and a bokken - presumably indicating that the Ruby Champion, Agasha Sumiko-ue, is currently in in residence. Whilst she knows little about Seppun Hirohide - and Shinjo Sayaka confirms not recognising the name either - if the Emerald Champion were to delegate an important matter, one would normally assume it would in the first instance be to his immediate deputy and fellow Jewelled Champion.

Sayaka - to whom the sight of an Agasha family mon draws less immediate attention, does keep a careful note of the others bustling through the Invited Guests quarters behind Kitsuki Tomo's peers and various servants and attendants. Her sharp eyes miss little, and she recognises several family mons.

By the unicorn's best estimate, there are somewhere in the order of twenty guests including themselves - less the late-arriving Crane Tomo referred to - about half the total either Dragons like her sister-in-law or members of the Phoenix clan. The others are a hodge-podge of different clans and families, including Lions, one Crab other than their travelling companion (this time a Yasuki), and - lurking at the edge of the courtyard - one samurai wearing the black-on-blood-red of the Bayushi. Most unusually is that someone - presumably one of the Dragon clan? - seems to have brought along a small cadre of four smartly-attired ronin, who she takes a moment to place as members of the Eyes of Nanashi Otokodate, from a mercenary-run village nestled within Dragon clan lands.

"How fortunate we are to have an excuse to visit Shiro Yogasha!" By looks alone, you might not be able to tell Khenbish was related to his half sister. He doesn't share her height, and his features suggest gaijin heritage, at least Ujik if not something further west. His style is equally foreign, a Qamarist-style armor on his chest and a scimitar at his side. He does, however, share his sister's tanned skin, initial discomfort off his horse, and affable nature. "This is the furthest east I've traveled!"

"I'm eager to see the sights of the city, but are there any preparations we should make for tonight, beyond a change of clothes? In many ways our meeting this evening is still a mystery to me."

Earth/Government to recall anything about Seppun Hirohide : R: Success/strife, blank. I'll just keep the one blank.

Would we be expected to bring a gift in this situation?
Also, is it obvious where our horses could be kept?

there's a map of Shiro Yogasha in the beginner's box set, if you have access?

You're in the 'dignitary's quarters' and or the 'visiting magistrates quarters', next to the Ruby Dojo.

There are stables at the back of the fortress, and given the cross-clan nature of the Magistrature, there's probably a fellow Unicorn as a stable master. Someone will have taken, or at least offered to take, your horses to be cleaned, fed and groomed.

12 minutes ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

Would we be expected to bring a gift in this situation?

Offering a gift never goes amiss, but you're technically redeploying soldiers, not a diplomat or guest, and it doesn't sound like you're meeting the 'lord' of the castle anyway, but an underling that so far, no-one's heard of (its basically up to Kaiu Hatsune now), so I can't see one would be expected.

It wouldn't be a surprise if the Crane bring some gifts, but then (a) thats the Crane for you and (b) that's because Satsume-ue is also Doji family Daimyo.

" Khenbish-san, you have lived in Khanbulak. From all I have heard of it, you have seen all sights any city could offer, except Otosan Uchi itself ." She looks at his current clothing askance, "I would definitely get changed and probably have a bath. I know I intend to." She rubs her right arm. " There would likely be no harm in circulating a bit and finding out who else is here. Maybe one of them knows a bit more about what's going to happen. "

The first thing most people notice about Umeko is her stylish clothing: It is bright and surprisingly fashionable for a Dragon. But the eye can’t help but be drawn to her unusual hairstyle, which leaves a fall of straight black hair covering the right-hand half of Umeko’s face. If the light falls just right, or the wind blows in such a way, it can be seen that the skin beneath is reddened and twisted by a terrible burn scar.

I'm waiting to let

@Heritage367 / Kaiu Hatsune have a try at the checks, but this will broadly open out into an intrigue scene, for, say, 4 rounds, before we end scene and you cut to dinner-and-official-briefings. You and a large number of NPCs will all be circulating trying to find angles to play the s-yet-not-especially-clear situation from - for the sake of my sanity, the active NPCs will mostly be acting in faction groups, whose identity you'll figure out in the process.

Broadly, there's a bunch of social objectives that would make sense, and each of you should pick one (two or more can pick the same ones and it's frankly encouraged).

• Assess the qualities of another guest - Generally 3-4 momentum, depending on who you pick.
  • Spread a rumour - 4 momentum
  • Endear yourself to another guest - Generally 3-4 momentum, depending on who you pick.
  • Gather information about the new Garrison - 4 momentum
  • Gather information about the 'perceived conflict of interest' Kitsuki Tomo mentioned - 7 momentum
  • Gain an audience with the Emerald Magistrate Seppun Hirohide, prior to the briefing - 5 momentum
  • Gain an audience with Agasha Sumiko, the Ruby Champion, prior to the briefing - 8 momentum
  • Gain an audience with Doji Satsume, the Emerald Champion, prior to the briefing - 9 momentum

Shinjo Sayaka

" Ah! " Sayaka exlaims at the mention of a bath, repressing an urge scratch herself due to the real - or imagined - dust. " A bath sounds like just the thing. " She produces a genuine smile, before remembering where she is and represses it. " Most of our other guests seems to be Dragon and Phoenix, with some Lions. I saw a single Scorpion ." She pauses to reflect on what it might mean that the more influential clans have a relatively small presence. " Oh, and some ronin mercenaries. " She blinks and taps her chin as if thinking. " Eyes of Nanashi, maybe? " She glances at Agasha Umeko to see if that rings any bell to her.

" But I have bored you enough with idle chit-chat. Agasha-san, I would be honored if you could chaperon me for a bath. " There were distinct disadvantages of being of marriageable age. One of those were the inability to enjoy a bath without having the correct company, but she wagered to herself that it couldn't get any better than a sister-in-law as chaperon.

Sayaka will attempt to endear herself to another guest, perhaps someone else who's taking a bath?

Please correct me if my idea on public bathing/chaperoning as presented is wrong!

"Oh Umeko-san, The City of the Khan is indeed as wonderful as you say. From the architecture within the white walls to the multiculturalism of the tent city outside to the great steppe beyond. But for all it has to offer, I have never seen a palace quite like this one. I could never tire of Khanbulak, but for now, my longing to return is exceeded by my excitement to explore."

"Once I've made myself a little more presentable, I would like to meet some of our fellow visitors. In some ways I know the travelers of the Sand Road better than many of my own compatriots. I would be especially interested in meeting any Lion who might be with us this evening. Relations have been..." Khenbish pauses for a moment to look for a word, but can't seem to find an ideal one. "Perhaps I should just say tense , of late. I hear rumor that a treaty and marriage are being arranged even as we speak, and I'm optimistic about it's resolution, but if we're to collaborate on any task here at Shiro Yogasha or beyond, it might be wise to get a read of their attitude toward us" and here Khenbish gestures towards himself and his sister "as soon as possible.

"In the interest of being entirely honest and forthright, I should let you know my lord has asked me to settle a feud between her immediate family and the family of one Kitsu Harumori, who she believes to be here in the palace. I would ask for your discretion, and not tell others until I have had the chance to inform Harumori-san myself. I can see, of course, how this might complicate building a spirit of cooperation, and if you feel the need to distance yourself from me, I understand."

Khenbish turns towards Umeko-san specifically here, "I hope that we may still be able to work towards common goals. As new family, if there is anything I can do to help you, please know you need only say the word." Turning once again to a more general audience of the room, " I think we should use this opportunity to be somewhat strategic, but my hope is that this can be a chance not just to make new allies but new friends."

Okay, team, what do we want to do? I like the idea of shooting for the moon and getting an audience with Doji Satsume, except that I'm not sure what I have to say. But if others have an idea, I'm down to support it. I think Khenbish's instincts would be like Sayaka's, trying to endear himself to new people. With four people and four rounds, I think we have a decent chance of getting a couple things accomplished, even if one is among the more challenging.

Also, Magnus, I found the map you mentioned. Thank you.

Edited by MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving
Fixed a typo and weird background color issue

Sayaka - Whilst it's not on the map, there will be a bath-house somewhere, and you can be pretty sure someone else (or several someones) will have had the same idea. If you're 'just going there', you'll have the chance to pursue an Endear objective but it'll basically be a pot luck draw to see who your potential target(s) is/are (although I promise it won't be someone completely irrelevant!).

Khenbish - I'd agree - getting an audience with Satsume-ue is possible, if challenging, and has the potential to bring huge advantage but I'd make sure you're walking in there knowing specifically what you want to talk about . The Grinning Crane is not big on having his time wasted, so just going in to say "err....so.....how you doing?" will not go down well.

Umeko - since they're based in Dragon lands, you'll know at least a vague overview about the Eyes of Nanashi without needing a check.

Also - note that if it's relevant, the Spending Opportunity in Negotiation rules (Table 3-1 in Courts of Stone) will be in effect.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I don't see Umeko as someone who loiters or socialises while bathing. Would there be a good place to sit down with someone and play shogi? Probably one of the Lion, since we have no in there yet.

If you're looking for a Lion to play shogi with, Khenbish would definitely accompany you! He's not much of one for games, but maybe he would go under the pretense of trying to track down a copy of Akodo's Leadership . In general, I like the idea of us trying to work towards the same objective.

Edited by MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving

I am ok with it being quite random. If it turns out to be dull, Sayaka might look elsewhere. But she's more interested in making friends than anything else. The bath is pretty off-guard, so Sayaka figures it would be a good place to start, as it removes many of layers of protection, so to speak!

@Tonbo Karasu @MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving A lion sounds like a good plan! Sayaka mostly wanted Umeko present for appearances, excuses can probably quickly be made to find a game of shogi once everything is seen to be in order?

Sayaka makes her way to the bath-house, initially with Umeko in tow. A short while later, once the two samurai have soaked the dust and achesof the journey away, Umeko bids her farewell and goes to find Khenbish, whilst the Unicorn takes the opportunity to strike up a conversation with two of the ronin - named Hakane and Chinatsu - who had been unashamedly taking advantage of access to Shiro Yogasha's palatial bath-house at the same time.

Umeko finds Khenbish in the courtyard, eyeing up the Lion clan representatives, just as trio of Crane clan samurai - what appears to be a gorgeously attired shujenga and two well-armoured yojimbo - sweep through like they own the castle, surrounded by a small cadre of attendants. Past the Cranes, Kenbish can see two Lion samurai. If Kitsu Harumori is here, he's not currently in the courtyard - instead the Crane shujenga's arrival is watched by a two others.

The first is a Matsu samurai in elegant lacquered armour whose face is twisted into an expression of ill-disguised disdain only slightly less rigid than the one on the steel menpo hanging on a cord from her neck. She also wears a second family mon on the scabbards of her daisho.

The second is an older man sitting in the shade of a cherry tree, wearing the Lion clan mon but no family mon - generally the mark of a jisamurai not entitled to a family name - on simple but functional light armour. He wears a wakizashi but unlike most bushu in the courtyard not a full daisho; instead leaning against the wall beside him is a worn yari that looks at least as old as he is.

Sayaka - Hakane and Chinatsu are both vigilance 3 (i.e. a default TN3 for social checks), and will require two momentum each, for a total of 4, to complete your

Endear objective

Khenbish/Umeko - your approach and target is up to you - as is if you're trying to Endear, Discern Qualities, or whatever else.

Do we know the Vigilance of the Lions (or Cranes, I suppose) in the scene?

Shinjo Sayaka

Its not without tension that Sayaka begins conversing with the two ronin. Bathing is disrobing to say the least, in particular alongside strangers. One she’s tested the waters, she entertains the ronin with stories from far and wide. She does her best to include them, without probing them but rather just going with the flow of their reactions.

Would have been a nice roll for a fire approach, but that’s not Sayakas angle here!

Water/Courtey (charm): Explosive/Strife, Explosive/Strife, Success/Strife, Success/Strife.
Keep explosives and success with strife.
Explosive -> Opportunity (keep). Explosive -> success/strife (keep if it generates extra momentum, otherwise not!)

3(4) successes, 3(4) strife, 1 opportunity. I’ll use the opportunity to reduce strife by 2, so will gain 1-2 strife!

Umeko glances at Khenbish then walks over to the shade of the tree " Greetings, Akodo-san, do you mind if we join you here? ". Assuming that there is no objection she kneels down. After a short pause she reaches into her battered satchel to pull out, not a theological scroll, but a travel Shogi set. " I don't suppose you play, by any chance? I have played my brother-in-law here, Shinjo Khenbish, a number of times on the journey and could do with a change. Oh, and I am Agasha Umeko."

I'm working from the guide I once saw that said if you don't know someone's family name for a Clan with multiple families, it's acceptable to use the Champion's family name since they 'represent' that clan. If the player is wrong, I'm sure the character would have been right.

I'm attempting to endear myself here, with the currently nameless Lion. I'm going to do a Fire/Games roll - playing aggressively and also trying to keep up an ongoing series of pleasantries and dropping in the occasional question.

3 Ring, 1 Skill: {Blank}, {Exploding, strife}, {Opportunity}, {Success, Opportunity}. Explosion: {Success}

• 3 Success (+1 bonus if successful), 1 Strife, 2 Opportunity. 1st Opp: reduce Strife. 2nd Opp: reduce the TN of next social check by Khenbish before end of scene by 1.

By-the-by, does Khenbish have another older sibling who died young?

Also, does anyone else have social skills? 'Cos that's my one there.

Batudai is Khenbish's only older sibling (excluding a possible infant mortality, I suppose)