Looking to join a PbP game

By Heritage367, in Your Stories

Hello! I've just started to learn the new addition, and it occurs to me that one of the best ways to do that is to actually play. Are there any active play-by-post games on this site or other sites that people know about?

I was running one , and there was a second running on the site, but both seem to have died a death a couple of months ago.

I'm not especially opposed to starting a new one, if people are interested.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I'd definitely be interested! So far, I've just been reading the corebook and making characters. So far, I've made a Kaito Shrine Keeper and a Kaiu Engineer, and they both turned out very cool.

I have a character that got 1 scene into Test of the Topaz Champion twice, and would not be averse to playing her again, possibly tweaked.

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I have a character that got 1 scene into Test of the Topaz Champion twice, and would not be averse to playing her again, possibly tweaked.

Cool! What clan and school?

39 minutes ago, Heritage367 said:

Cool! What clan and school?

An Agasha Mystic, with attempts to go down the smithing path, although the lack of an Artisan tag for Dragon makes it harder.

36 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

An Agasha Mystic, with attempts to go down the smithing path, although the lack of an Artisan tag for Dragon makes it harder.

Nice! Smithing does look like a big part of their curriculum, so over time that could be something to develop.

EDIT: I take it back; it's only part of two ranks worth of training. So I guess you could take it, but it would only contribute to Rank 1 and Rank 4 in terms of XP.

Edited by Heritage367

For this game, I think I'd like to use my Kaiu Engineer; I think it's a very interesting School, and I really like how the character turned out after the 20 questions.

On 9/20/2020 at 6:09 PM, Heritage367 said:

EDIT: I take it back; it's only part of two ranks worth of training. So I guess you could take it, but it would only contribute to Rank 1 and Rank 4 in terms of XP

Not true - it contributes at any rank, but it counts half in other ranks.

What sort of game would people want to play?

Well, an Agasha Swordsmith and a Kaiu Engineer seem to indicate some sort of Artisan thing...

Maybe they're being sent to assess an abandoned fortress and see if it can be reclaimed? First thought to enter my head.

EDIT: I can always make another character.

Edited by Heritage367

It's two different clans, though - and not close allies (from literally opposite ends of the empire, in fact), which implies an Imperial operation.

Maybe establishing a new minor clan? Some sort of border defence, like the Badger or Firefly...

Edited by Magnus Grendel
Establishing a new minor 'clan'. Establishing a minor clam would be a job for a fisherman.

And what if we want to establish a major clam. Whose job is that? Yoritomo’s? 😂

Oh, if there's a PBP game getting started, I'd love to get involved. Think you'd have room for another, Magnus? I'd be happy to make whatever character would make sense in the context of whatever game ends up starting.

Well...that sounds like three - @Heritage367 , @Tonbo Karasu , and @MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving - which is enough to try a game.

If people have any preferences for game type - see the suggestions in the latest FAQ - then let me know. I suggest 3 people isn't a full 'cast', so I'm tempted to try the 'creating a court' approach to generate a cast of NPCs.

Looking over the game types, the description for "Blood and Consequences" appeals to me the most. I like games where it feels like there are real stakes, and the players aren't guaranteed to win. The stakes don't have to be death or of Empire-wide consequence. Just something the players/characters care about deeply.

Some of these game types might lend themselves to PBP more easily than others. Something like "Courtly Fantasy" might be easier than something like "Tactical Engagement," where positioning really matters, but I'm up for trying whatever.

In terms of which optional rules, I don't have any strong preferences.

Edited by MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving

I like the sound of 'Blood and Consequences'; PbP L5R is definitely an environment where I am willing to take some risks.

I'm happy to go with Blood and Consequences, although have a bit of a penchant for Court Intrigue. I'm going to review my character sheet based on new stuff since I first did it.

What do you want to do about the heritages? Can I be very cheeky and ask about the possibility of learning Blessing of Steel at some point?

Nothing stops a blood-and-consequences game having a largely court setting (in fact, given that it's deadly as heck, it's probably a good idea!).

I'm fine with people selecting rather than rolling heritage results, and you'd need to pick your driving bushido tenets (ronin-style honour and glory is in effect). But I would appreciate running through characters in PM first - your advantages and disadvantages need stitching into the story and with bonds in effect I'd like to see people use them, which also needs to be planned cooperatively.

I'll have a think for setting. The suggested 'establish a fortress' makes sense, I think - just need to get the details.

Just to clarify, are we doing 5e or 4e?

5th edition. It's the one I'm far more used to.

Okay. Rough - very rough - outline (both leaving space for the story to evolve and to keep a few nasty surprises for the PCs).

The year will be 1123 (naturally), just after the close of 1122's Winter Court.

You - whoever 'you' are - are part of a sizeable contingent of samurai, from various clans, meeting at Shiro Yogasha by order of the Emerald Champion, Doji Satsume.

You are meeting him not in his capacity as chief magistrate, but as commander of the Emerald Legions (Assuming you actually meet him in person, which isn't garuanteed as none of you are especially high status). The rumour is that an Imperial garrison is being established, or re-established, in the north of the empire, but details at this stage are limited.

Intriguing start!

I'll start brainstorming some character ideas. Just a few questions:
Should we make characters that could reasonably be drafted into the Imperial Legion?
Should we use the 20 Questions from the core rulebook? Any modifications?
Are we using all of the optional rules listed under "Blood and Consequences" (including extra starting XP)?
Is there anything in particular you know will be off-limits? For example, is Miya Cartographer fair game?

Oh, I'm loving this set-up. Perfect for my Kaiu!

11 hours ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

Should we make characters that could reasonably be drafted into the Imperial Legion?

Not necessarily. Or rather, yes, but the cadre being sent north will of necessity include artisans, ambassadors and administrators as well as sword-swinging soldiers and shouty sergeants, given the job they need to do. There's probably limited need for kabuki actors and gardeners, though.

Are we using all of the optional rules listed under "Blood and Consequences" (including extra starting XP)?

Yes, in all cases. You'll start with 20xp over and above character creation, are encouraged to select your own driving bushido tenets, and glory and honour shifts may be doubled and halved respectively. Bonds are available, and can be picked in character creation by mutual agreement if two characters have some credible shared backstory.

Blood and Consequences" (including extra starting XP)?

Mostly as per the main rulebook. Note I'm happy with picking not rolling your heritage, and Crane and Crab characters should feel free to use heritage results from Shadowlands and Courts of Stone . Also note that since you're able to pick your own driving tenets of Bushido, this should also inform your answer to whether you conform to your clan's view of Bushido (i.e. if you use the stereotypical values of your clan or not).

Is there anything in particular you know will be off-limits? For example, is Miya Cartographer fair game?

For reasons which will become clear in game, that's a perfectly logical school to want as part of the group heading north. I'm not ruling out any school or family (including Imperial families) someone wants to use - even if someone has a school catastrophically ill-suited to the task, it's quite feasible that their lord has said something like " samurai, I am dispatching you on a vital task that requires you to go a long way away for a very long period of time and not be my responsibility anymore..."

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Where can I find the FAQ with information on 'Blood and Consequences'?