Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun’s Legion Off Topic But Very Much Star Wars Thread

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in Star Wars: Legion

10 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I have severe hangups with entrusting my Star Wars rumors news to a guy who calls himself "Doomcock". I'm just going to take this with everything else that's happened with the franchise in my adult years: what happens happens, what's released is released, and I will reserve judgement until I see things with my own eyes.

Regarding the Sequel Trilogy, it's not my cup of tea, but then again neither are all the Prequels. I think, by and large, my main interests in Star Wars start after the Empire rises, and largely end when the First Order appears. There are exceptions (aspects of the Clone Wars, and individuals like Poe Dameron ) but I'm a GCW fan and that likely won't change until Disney somehow catches lightning in a bottle (which I HOPE happens).

Same. Also when somebody "leaks" something, I go looking into their record of accuracy. The "Rise of Skywalker" leaks that "he reported on" were on 4chan and also WAY off. The bits they got close to right were all from the trailers and guessing "Palpatine zaps the Resistance Fleet in space" but is surrounded by all sorts of "but none of that happened"

This isn't a leak, this is a guy's fan theory put together by grabbing little bits and pieces of info and trying to "discover" a way to get rid of something he hates.

Would it be cool if the Sequel Trilogy was WAY different? Sure. But time travel alternate dimension retconning just makes my stomach turn. And it also sounds unlikely and just a desperate fan theory to try and push a dream he has. I already hated the World Between Worlds being created just to save the director's waifu, but like throwing alternate timelines and time travel into the movies just says "We'll retcon anything people don't like".

Plus most the guy's other claims are also all just "I HATE THIS I HOPE DISNEY KILLS THAT TOO". Talking about how he hates Captain Marvel and Disney leaks gonna get rid of her. He hates the Sequels and he hates Rey and Disney gonna get rid of those. Etc etc.

I had another point, but forgot it...

Edit: Ah right, and when you a leaker and having to point out "all this evidence hidden in the movies" that showcases your leak, you are pushing a theory not a leak. A reliable leaker doesn't need to go "This one scene in the movie kinda implies it". That's a fan theory. A reliable leaker says "Hey, I got a source, he gave me this info. And go look at my past record to show I'm not full of ****"

Plus why would they hide proof they going to retcon all the movies IN the movies? Lol. That's a fan theory.

Edited by MajorSmexy

I've seen weirder usernames of people who have inroads to companies like GW for leaking releases, so username alone isn't indicative, but yes, past accuracy is a good indicator. Thanks for doing the legwork.

It would be interesting if true, but I don't really care either way. There is still plenty of stories to be told in High Republic, Old Republic, GCW, and Mandalorian time frames that "freeing up" the sequel timeframe for a different story isn't necessary any time soon. It isn't that dissimilar to how comics handle reboots though, so it isn't completely unprecedented in media.

1 minute ago, MajorSmexy said:

Would it be cool if the Sequel Trilogy was WAY different? Sure. But time travel alternate dimension retconning just makes my stomach turn. And it also sounds unlikely and just a desperate fan theory to try and push a dream he has. I already hated the World Between Worlds being created just to save the director's waifu, but like throwing alternate timelines and time travel into the movies just says "We'll retcon anything people don't like".

The World Between Worlds was alright to me, but the entire point of it was that the Jedi Temple on Lothal was one of the few places in the galaxy that it could even be accessed. I don't buy for a second that Palpatine had his own easy way into it, otherwise the events in Rebels don't make a single drop of sense (he was pretty desperate for Ezra to open the door for him, and when you need SW Aladin to do something for you, you're not running on many other options XP). It runs the same fine line that the Force Gods did for me: a little too powerful for the SW Universe as a whole, but as long as they die/can't really be reached afterwards without some major quest, I can live with it.

2 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I've seen weirder usernames of people who have inroads to companies like GW for leaking releases, so username alone isn't indicative, but yes, past accuracy is a good indicator. Thanks for doing the legwork.

Totally understand. I just know that the unfortunate bedbug of pre-Disney Star Wars Fanboys does not do such an article any favors, especially since the guy supplying the info sounds like he'd fit in on COD Multiplayer lobby (likely as one of the guys people purposefully mute). XP

Definitely a better practice to get the full-story rather than judge on name alone... I just don't see the topic as being something I'd expend such energy on. ^^'

2 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Totally understand. I just know that the unfortunate bedbug of pre-Disney Star Wars Fanboys does not do such an article any favors, especially since the guy supplying the info sounds like he'd fit in on COD Multiplayer lobby (likely as one of the guys people purposefully mute). XP

Definitely a better practice to get the full-story rather than judge on name alone... I just don't see the topic as being something I'd expend such energy on. ^^'

Yeah that was the thing. Just reading how he "leaked" this information came off to me. Most leakers I know are fairly "just the facts" or at least spend their time discussing leaks with minimal diarrhea out the mouth. This guy seems the type to throw out "LEAKS" to lure people in just so he can discuss how he hates Samuel L. Jackson, Brie Larson, Rey, Star Wars, Disney, the Sequels, and anything else.

5 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

The World Between Worlds was alright to me, but the entire point of it was that the Jedi Temple on Lothal was one of the few places in the galaxy that it could even be accessed. I don't buy for a second that Palpatine had his own easy way into it, otherwise the events in Rebels don't make a single drop of sense (he was pretty desperate for Ezra to open the door for him, and when you need SW Aladin to do something for you, you're not running on many other options XP). It runs the same fine line that the Force Gods did for me: a little too powerful for the SW Universe as a whole, but as long as they die/can't really be reached afterwards without some major quest, I can live with it.

My understanding was that in this reset, the fact that he didn't have an easy way in would/could be the reason for the state of his body in RoS, that the strain of forcing himself into the World Between Worlds left him broken.
Even without Palpatine having a way in, if Ezra finds another, he or Ahsoka could always just make sure Palpatine dies on the Death Star 2, for a similar reset.

Even beyond time frames, there is so much SPACE to tell stories in. I would LOVE stories of Sabine and Ahsoka exploring the Outer Rim and Unknown Reaches looking for Ezra. Even better if a season/book/entire show is dedicated to telling the story of Ezra and Thrawn in the Unknown Reaches, perhaps even helping the Chiss Ascendency fight the Grysk.

1 minute ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Even beyond time frames, there is so much SPACE to tell stories in. I would LOVE stories of Sabine and Ahsoka exploring the Outer Rim and Unknown Reaches looking for Ezra. Even better if a season/book/entire show is dedicated to telling the story of Ezra and Thrawn in the Unknown Reaches, perhaps even helping the Chiss Ascendency fight the Grysk.

The Sequel content we deserve, indeed!

My understanding was that in this reset, the fact that he didn't have an easy way in would/could be the reason for the state of his body in RoS, that the strain of forcing himself into the World Between Worlds left him broken.
Even without Palpatine having a way in, if Ezra finds another, he or Ahsoka could always just make sure Palpatine dies on the Death Star 2, for a similar reset.

I mean, I might like those stories, but I don't necessarily want those with "Let's retcon movies"

1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

I mean, he does almost make it in on his own, maybe he knew it would be more harmful than useful to force his way in entirely?

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he had contingencies set up for Vader's betrayal either. There's nothing stopping him from setting up a portal at the bottom of that pit because he saw Vader huck him into it in a force vision. After all, we're talking about a character that is a master at pulling the strings and planning ahead. In the OT films he had asked Vader "if his feelings on this matter were clear". He straight out told Vader that he had foreseen his fall to Luke. Sounds like he may have planned it all along. Sounds more than tangible to me.

Planned to be removed from the picture long enough for Luke to die then return with an army built by his loyalists in his absence. Makes sense to me lol

3 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Pretty much this.

22 minutes ago, MajorSmexy said:

Yeah that was the thing. Just reading how he "leaked" this information came off to me. Most leakers I know are fairly "just the facts" or at least spend their time discussing leaks with minimal diarrhea out the mouth. This guy seems the type to throw out "LEAKS" to lure people in just so he can discuss how he hates Samuel L. Jackson, Brie Larson, Rey, Star Wars, Disney, the Sequels, and anything else.

Some of that depends on format. For leaks/"leaks" in text format, yes I mostly see those as you describe. For video leaks/"leaks", I often see long them padded out with a ton of speculation or opinion tacked on to pad the video, since video length determines how many ads can be included :-P.

EDIT: That said, for this "leak" the source is extremely dubious, with no good track record. The more I look into this , the more it is very much a "no way" thing to me. Still, it is an interesting theory.

Edited by Caimheul1313
9 minutes ago, MajorSmexy said:

I mean, I might like those stories, but I don't necessarily want those with "Let's retcon movies"

I was trying to indicate that those stories could be added without retconning, since the Unknown Reaches are, well, unknown. One of the major things I enjoy about the new Thrawn trilogy is getting more information about the Chiss Ascendency and the Unknown Reaches in general.

Edited by Caimheul1313
11 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Regarding the Sequel Trilogy, it's not my cup of tea, but then again neither are all the Prequels. I think, by and large, my main interests in Star Wars start after the Empire rises, and largely end when the First Order appears. There are exceptions (aspects of the Clone Wars, and individuals like Poe Dameron ) but I'm a GCW fan and that likely won't change until Disney somehow catches lightning in a bottle (which I HOPE happens).

15 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I read it, though I liked 2/3rds of the sequel movies quite a lot, I think if they plan it out they have the opportunity to tell a very compelling story.

Think that the past few decades of Star Wars showed us that the weakest aspect of the Star Wars franchise may be the movies themselves. Clone Wars, the Mandalorian, and the comics are amazing. The movies sort feel like just the building block for all the good Star Wars stuff. The Clone Wars TV show has some of my favorite characters and events, but its based off AotC the movie I think is the worse out of all of them.

5 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

It would be interesting if true, but I don't really care either way. There is still plenty of stories to be told in High Republic, Old Republic, GCW, and Mandalorian time frames that "freeing up" the sequel timeframe for a different story isn't necessary any time soon. It isn't that dissimilar to how comics handle reboots though, so it isn't completely unprecedented in media.

The only issue that comes up is that comic reboots are much more limited and bigger at the same time. When DC or Marvel reboot they usually kill everyone and then go back in time to reset everything. They then tell the same stories with some twist or crazy news ones. Star Wars would have a few problems if they try to do this "leak" reset.

I may be wrong in this, but Star Wars is the first major franchise that everything is canon and connected (I sure they have another example). The comics, movies, shows, books, video games, and to a lesser extent the board games (Starhawk was revealed by FFG). **** even the theme park has TWO rides that are canon! To just cut a chunk of the story out and then write over would cause a lot of problems across the board.

And for comics the wipe usually is total. Why would Star Wars wipe out the sequels and not the prequels as well? I would even throw out the option to reboot the whole franchise before a second partial reboot. It would be a lot clearer and could be pretty cool with Luke Starkiller and Han being an alien.

.................................Best part of that story is that you got to watch both Rebels final season and most of 9 to understand why the sequels are not part of Star Wars anymore and how the reboot even happened. That is some 4D chess right there on Disney!

2 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

Think that the past few decades of Star Wars showed us that the weakest aspect of the Star Wars franchise may be the movies themselves. Clone Wars, the Mandalorian, and the comics are amazing. The movies sort feel like just the building block for all the good Star Wars stuff. The Clone Wars TV show has some of my favorite characters and events, but its based off AotC the movie I think is the worse out of all of them.

The only issue that comes up is that comic reboots are much more limited and bigger at the same time. When DC or Marvel reboot they usually kill everyone and then go back in time to reset everything. They then tell the same stories with some twist or crazy news ones. Star Wars would have a few problems if they try to do this "leak" reset.

I may be wrong in this, but Star Wars is the first major franchise that everything is canon and connected (I sure they have another example). The comics, movies, shows, books, video games, and to a lesser extent the board games (Starhawk was revealed by FFG). **** even the theme park has TWO rides that are canon! To just cut a chunk of the story out and then write over would cause a lot of problems across the board.

And for comics the wipe usually is total. Why would Star Wars wipe out the sequels and not the prequels as well? I would even throw out the option to reboot the whole franchise before a second partial reboot. It would be a lot clearer and could be pretty cool with Luke Starkiller and Han being an alien.

.................................Best part of that story is that you got to watch both Rebels final season and most of 9 to understand why the sequels are not part of Star Wars anymore and how the reboot even happened. That is some 4D chess right there on Disney!

That was the case with Star Wars BEFORE Disney bought it in the first place as well. All the movies, video games, comics, etc were canon. Once Disney took over, they removed almost everything. So it isn't unprecedented for Star Wars to make things non-canon, they just haven't done it to a movie that wasn't the Christmas Special yet.

I think Star Trek comes close to depth of lore, and they've done a similar confusing thing with "alternate timeline" movies. Picard is set in the "original timeline," unlike the most recent movies, or the other current TV show.
I've seen comic reboot where just a single character's history is changed, isn't that how "One More Day" worked for Spiderman?

No more problems then the MCU is looking to end up with, especially as the actors get older...

The removal of Palpatine and Snoke would affect the last three movies, without necessarily impacting any of the other things you list. The First Order can still exist without Snoke, the mechanism for that were put in place prior to RotJ. So that leaves Mandalorian, Black Spire Outpost, and the rides (as far as I know) as basically fine. Regardless, I'm pretty sure this "leak" is just clickbait at this point, but it's also not like Disney hasn't rebranded a ride before.

Disney already requires you to watch most of Clone Wars to understand why Maul shows up at the end of Solo, so that's not even unreasonable. And they simply NEVER explain how Palpatine survived in the movies, just "Somehow he survived!"

That was the case with Star Wars BEFORE Disney bought it in the first place as well. All the movies, video games, comics, etc were canon. Once Disney took over, they removed almost everything. So it isn't unprecedented for Star Wars to make things non-canon, they just haven't done it to a movie that wasn't the Christmas Special yet.

Hold on horses there. Say what you will about Disney, but George Lucas old canon was a mess beyond words. George Lucas would come back to Star Wars now and again and just redo or change large parts of the lore for reasons. Korriban to Morband lol. Clone Wars itself made dozen of comics, games, and books uncanon and it was a mess (my hardcore EU friend hated that show for years for everything it destroyed).

canon-tiers-e1591790971597.jpg

24 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I think Star Trek comes close to depth of lore, and they've done a similar confusing thing with "alternate timeline" movies. Picard is set in the "original timeline," unlike the most recent movies, or the other current TV show.
I've seen comic reboot where just a single character's history is changed, isn't that how "One More Day" worked for Spiderman?

No more problems then the MCU is looking to end up with, especially as the actors get older...

Lets ask Treky fans how that is going with alternate timelines lol. Star Trek looked at Star Wars and really wanted that fan base hate.......... and by the look of things they have done a great job. If anything I say what Trek did is a warning to other franchises lol.

Also that what makes the article so meh. Why reboot only the sequels with this crazy theory that scenes were somehow slipped into 9 without even Abrams maybe knowing about it? Seems like a waste. Go for the full reboot rumors and get a new Luke and Han. Cash in like the other remakes Disney has been doing.

I don’t care how they do it. “It was all a dream” or even no explanation at all, is fine by me. I don’t care about keeping continuity with cartoon shows.

I just want new, good, heck even slightly above average, movies where Luke is the main protagonist and is played by Mark Hamill.

While I dislike the prequels (far) more than I dislike the sequels, they aren’t mutually exclusive with me getting the above, so I don’t care as much that they wipe them from the earth.

14 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

Hold on horses there. Say what you will about Disney, but George Lucas old canon was a mess beyond words. George Lucas would come back to Star Wars now and again and just redo or change large parts of the lore for reasons. Korriban to Morband lol. Clone Wars itself made dozen of comics, games, and books uncanon and it was a mess (my hardcore EU friend hated that show for years for everything it destroyed).

Lets ask Treky fans how that is going with alternate timelines lol. Star Trek looked at Star Wars and really wanted that fan base hate.......... and by the look of things they have done a great job. If anything I say what Trek did is a warning to other franchises lol.

Also that what makes the article so meh. Why reboot only the sequels with this crazy theory that scenes were somehow slipped into 9 without even Abrams maybe knowing about it? Seems like a waste. Go for the full reboot rumors and get a new Luke and Han. Cash in like the other remakes Disney has been doing.

I made zero claims the old canon was well organized, nor even that this was a "good" idea, just that these sorts of timeline shenanigans had happened before in franchises, both Star Wars and otherwise.
To be fair, isn't every other Star Trek movie widely held to be "bad" anyway? Plus, even some of the original shows get a lot of hate from fans.... Enterprise was widely disliked well before any of the current stuff, not to mention the mixed reactions to individual episodes of certain series. Star Trek had fanbase hate before Star Wars did in many ways.
Once the fact that the source of this "leak" isn't trustworthy was pointed out, I stopped treating this as remotely plausible, at this point it's just an interesting piece of discussion.

I think a full reboot would cause more consternation than selectively filtering out 7/8/9. A complete reboot would probably come the closest to unifying the fanbase in their hatred.
The cast is part of the reason for the love of the original films, as is 1970/80s campy nature of the film, which would likely be lost in a reboot.
I think the better bet is what they are doing: switch to a vastly different time frame. They also have the option of switching to a vastly different locations with the Unknown Regions.

Edit: I think it's far more likely that like Midichlorians, Disney will just stop referencing the sequel trilogy, and hold off on doing anything set after that timeframe.

Edited by Caimheul1313

It’s worth noting that back in the olden times, if it wasn’t in a film, it wasn’t canon. Poor Jabba!

3 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I read it, though I liked 2/3rds of the sequel movies quite a lot, I think if they plan it out they have the opportunity to tell a very compelling story.

Before 9 released I suspected they'd introduce the World Between Worlds as a means of explaining Ole Papa Palps survival. When they didn't I was surprised (the canon reason for Palps return was a little lame IMHO, but it is what it is).

I was speaking to a friend about this earlier.

Because of the nature of the world between worlds they have a lot of opportunity to undo the sequel trilogy without it being heavy handed. The first few options that come to mind are using Ahsoka and maybe Ezra in conjunction with the Mando series to set up the High Republic era movies to do it. For instance, Ahsoka discovering that Palps is still alive in Mando time, goes on a journey with Sabine to find Ezra Bridger, the only living Jedi to have entered the World Between Worlds by himself and also the only one who may know how to get there. (this is the scene we see at the end of Rebels, where Ahsoka shows up and recruits Sabine. It would likely lightly touch on the time she appears in the Mando series).

From here there are so many options, maybe Ahsoka mini series into the unknown regions searching for Ezra (maybe she's the one that wounds a younger Snoke even?) They could just start the High Republic era movies and throughout the course of the 3 films we could discover that Ezra and Ahsoka changed events so that the protagonist would be in the right place and time to enter the World Between Worlds to stop Palpatine as he entered from the fall on the DS II. The end of the new trilogy could just show Rey and her family living happily together and maybe Jedi Master Ben Solo with Grand Master Luke Skywalker training a new age of students, all this seen through the portals of the World Between Worlds...

If it was well done, they could tell a very compelling story.

I think it would make a lot of sense too. None of the Jedi from the current cannon were really match for Palps. Even Ahsoka likely wouldn't be enough. Rey had to be a "force dyad" and just barely beat him backed by most of the Jedi we knew, but one of the Jedi from the peak of their civilization? Maybe? It could be as simple as Ahsoka seeing the future where the Jedi end at Rey and realizing that they need to exist, in some form or another, to maintain the balance in the galaxy.

Based on what we see from the Jedi on screen I've actually been giving a fair bit of thought as the difference between light and dark in the terms of Star Wars, and I think I've boiled down what the Jedi actually are.

The Jedi are the light and exist to serve the will of the force. They exist to live and die at exact moments to maintain the balance of life within the galaxy. They are used by the force.

The dark side, the Sith, and others, represent those who use to the force for themselves. Those who wield it and try to create their own path. They exist naturally and because they have free will are the source of unbalance. They use the force.

It could explain why the Jedi needed to be purged, by the time of Palptaine they were no longer serving the force but rather became servants of the Republic.

Just some loose thoughts though.

TLDR: If it is true, even if you liked the sequels, there's an opportunity for a good story.

Perhaps that was already done.. there are still the legends fiction being printed. Suurely the legends fiction can endorse that idea.

I love the sequels, despite any flaws, because by son has grown up with them they are his era.. ****, Star Wars is probably more his now than mine, and I love every part of that.

When I was a little kid I liked a LOT of films that don’t hold up nearly as well as the OT. Our kids liking these new movies doesn’t mean they’re good. It means they’re at least no worse than The Care Bears movie.

Doomcock is a "personality" youtuber. I tend to share a lot of his opinions about how awful nuTrek and nuWars are, but he and the little circle of other youtubers that make their coin from the Disgruntled Fans audience are a bit too vested in publishing any rumours they can find which would please said audience, regardless of how unlikely they are. I'd have been more willing to think this particular rumour was a possibility if he hadn't felt the need to invoke the Kennedy Boogeyman(for the record, I think she's a toxic individual and a hack, but the whole "factions within Lucasfilm warring for the soul of Star Wars" thing comes across as a bit...overwrought) to give himself an "out" when it almost inevitably doesn't happen.

But oh my, it really would be nice if it were true eh. Not just because it would open up the possibility of giving the OT heroes a real and deserved legacy rather than utterly trashing them(and don't try and argue otherwise, Sequelfans - all of Han's character development was stripped away and he reverted to being a rogue and a deadbeat dad, Leia's entire life's work turned to garbage, and Luke ended up a nephewcidal old hermit who repeated all the mistakes of those who came before), but because I'd enjoy watching the "Rebels is mouseketeer trash with dumb time travel in it" crowd's heads explode as they attempt to reconcile the fact that it's exactly that conceit that would erase the Sequels 😆

I really doubt it will happen though.

And y’know. I might not even care if they would just release nice pre-1997 blu rays of the OT.

32 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

And y’know. I might not even care if they would just release nice pre-1997 blu rays of the OT.

So much this. Just give us as close to the original theatrical release as still exists on blu-ray. Heck, make it a special feature like they did with the laserdisc version the anniversary edition two dvd release of each film.

19 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

So much this. Just give us as close to the original theatrical release as still exists on blu-ray. Heck, make it a special feature like they did with the laserdisc version the anniversary edition two dvd release of each film.

Or put in actual time and effort like when they restore things like Snow White. The money and love of the old fans of the old versions built the entire franchise. Show some us gd gratitude instead of acting like the various mistakes at the top are our fault for being “toxic”.

If fans my age were the problem, we wouldn’t come out in massive support of actual good art in our favorite franchises when we occasionally get it. Such as Rogue One or Mad Max: Fury Road.

Not attacking you. But I am getting a little weary of how the Star Track is being run.

Edited by TauntaunScout

@TauntaunScout No worries, i could tell you were more aggravated with the way things are run than my comment. Yes, I would love a restoration of whatever still exists that is closest to the originals. The problems is, as far as I'm aware Lucas destroyed the originals, so the closes in existance is the laserdisc version.

Until recently, the other problem with doing that sort of release was the Fox had distribution rights for a New Hope (irrc), but of course that's not an issue now that the Disney amoeba has enveloped that company as well.

1 hour ago, Caimheul1313 said:

No worries, i could tell you were more aggravated with the way things are run than my comment. Yes, I would love a restoration of whatever still exists that is closest to the originals. The problems is, as far as I'm aware Lucas destroyed the originals, so the closes in existance is the laserdisc version.

Until recently, the other problem with doing that sort of release was the Fox had distribution rights for a New Hope (irrc), but of course that's not an issue now that the Disney amoeba has enveloped that company as well.

Knowing how George Lucas was when it came to ANH and ESB I would bet money that somewhere in that contract he signed with Disney that said they could never release the original versions. A maclunkey clause if you will.