Call for suggestions: What are you having fun with that we should try??

By Blail Blerg, in X-Wing

TAP dancers are my new bae. Outrageously fun to fly, and arguably punch well above their weight when used well. Definitely have weaknesses, but they're so much fun I honestly don't care.

Major Vynder

• XG-1 Assault Configuration
  • Crack Shot
  • Fire Control System
  • Advanced SLAM
  • Ion Cannon
  • Advanced Proton Torpedoes

Inquisitor x3

• Supernatural Reflexes
  • Fire Control System

Vynder gives you a big sweepy controller with a spike damage from APT that can really bother some aces and break the back on large ships. The Inquisitors arc dodge lower initiative guys, block high initiative aces, token stack, and generally make a nuisance of themselves dancing around obstacles and using tight repositioning to get range 1 shots.

One a tournament last Saturday using LuminARCa; good times

Prize was alt art...Deathrain!? Of all pilots!?

Oh God, the nostalgia. Despite my love of other ships, Deathrain is my favorite pilot by a WIDE margin. Won't ever forget winning a post-ep 7 core, wave 7 store championship with that guy. His Conners just annihilated all the brobots and Palp ace span...

Sigh...why did ffg have to nerf Sims? Ah, well

New Squadron

(44) "Deathrain" [TIE/ca Punisher]
(3) Seismic Charges
(5) Proton Bombs
(10) Trajectory Simulator
(2) Skilled Bombardier
(7) Barrage Rockets

(46) Sigma Squadron Ace [TIE/ph Phantom]
(5) Juke

(46) Sigma Squadron Ace [TIE/ph Phantom]
(5) Juke

(26) "Night Beast" [TIE/ln Fighter]

Total points: 199

Hoping delayed fuses can be subbed in relatively painlessly

Edited by ficklegreendice

Vorpal Blade (197)
Fenn Rau: Crack Shot (69)
Captain Seevor (30)
Black Sun Assassin: Crack Shot (49)

A fun and surprisingly effective build that I've been running in hyperspace

Sinker with R3 and Freelance Slicers. Pretty much stops all aces from shooting at him because they don't want to get jammed

fun times

frequently used to do r3 + freelance on arc Norra

problem is rolling that stupid red die can knock off your second TL, making me wonder if r3 is worth it...

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

fun times

frequently used to do r3 + freelance on arc Norra

problem is rolling that stupid red die can knock off your second TL, making me wonder if r3 is worth it...

I mostly use R3 for the flexibility.

Let's say you're going against a Soontir and Vader list. If I can get the lock on both of them, then best case I can jam both. Worst case, I only jam one. Plus, seeing as you know who will take multiple shots, you can always choose not to jam one of them.

If I have both locked, and I have more shots on Vader, I might just jam off his focus so that he has to burn his force, if he has any. Or I might jam off the lock if I don't have anyone with shots on him. Now Sinker is getting shot by a two dice attack. Or I could ignore Vader and jam off Soontir's token. The threat of jam is enough of a deterrent that my ace players at my FLGS don't shoot at Sinker at all because of the jam.

Every turn Sinker is alive makes it that much harder for your opponent.

Edited by SavouryRain

Is Sinker actually worth it?

Flew this list two tourneys here in Adelaide, fun and strong if flown well, went 4-0 in a small 9 man tourney and 2-2 at the Hyperspace Trial the week after.

Ashoka Tano w Delta 7B

Sinker

2x 142nd Battalion Pilot

200pts

Flown in formation the Arcs are great at shooting but they do die fast if you misjudged ranges.

Ashoka is a pest and can close out games after the Arcs hammer the opposing list.

The 1st engagement makes or breaks the list, my two losses have come from misjudging range and having only one ship firing. Equals 1 dead or nearly dead Arc. Lost to Rebel Beef (Wedge,Braylen,Cassian w Leia and Ten Numb) and Maul with 3Ps3 Drones w ESC plus a PS1 Kraken Bellbulab.

Beaten Tavson, QD and Kylo, other Rebel Beef variants, TIE Aces and Salad. It can be really strong if Sinker/Ashoka live past the opening skirmish. Plus ARC's look majestic as **** lol.

Edited by Brad84
More Info.

Ahsoka is honestly amazing. Actions whenever?? Yes plz.

Barriss though, looks disappointing. One force??? Maybe she could be cheaper and be a good option, but I think FFG really messed her up

I think Jedi Knights could easily go down to like 35 points...

And then make Barriss like 38 points for a really affordable middle-ace. (And errata her ability to not need bull-shht-eye).

Edited by Blail Blerg

Was thinking of trying this squad. Looks super interesting.

Add some hull and shields to help.

Fanatical when you start to lose.

Midnight with Lone Wolf on a crazy flanking jaunt. (Start her near your ships but facing 90 away, will cause divergence near round3 (Pro tip guyz, don't ignore lol).

And a PS1 blocker to muck up the opponent.

Alternatively, you can take Fanatical off QD to get Null at PS7, which also looks pretty good and have BD be the tanker.

You gotta play pretty mobile with this list. Going for the joust like against Starkillers or something will not be so good.

“Quickdraw” (45)
Fanatical (2)
Special Forces Gunner (10)
Fire-Control System (2)
Shield Upgrade (6)

“Backdraft” (41)
Fanatical (2)
Special Forces Gunner (10)
Hull Upgrade (5)

“Midnight” (44)
Lone Wolf (5)

Epsilon Squadron Cadet (28)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Actually, maybe Juke is still better on Midnight.

Edited by Blail Blerg

I flew Wullffwarro War Crimes (7-dice fully-modded nuke) for Campaign Against Cancer and had fun (more info here ). I can recommend the fleet to others! But man I need to work on mentally lasting longer during long tournaments. I just shut down in the last half of CAC from being mentally tired and kept making the same mistakes. Over and over, without learning until it was all over.

I look forward to flying the fleet more in coming weeks, in not-long tournaments and casual nights where I'm at my best. If anyone here flies it, please let me know how it went! And any changes you make to the fleet!

3x Scimitar Squadron Pilot - Barrage Rockets, Proximity Mine, Skilled Bombardier

Shuttle of choice with Moff Jerjerrod (I used Jendon with Title and Shield Upgrade).

In system phase use Jerjerrod to boost right then drop the mine with a 1 or 2 bank left. It will end up to the side and a bit ahead of the bombers original position. Very difficult to avoid for the opponent 🙂

I just flew Daredevil + Advanced Sensors Dalan Oberos, and it was absolutely hilarious.

1 hour ago, mcgreag said:

In system phase use Jerjerrod to boost right then drop the mine with a 1 or 2 bank

Afraid that this doesn't work if you have I3 Jendon, as Systems Phase stuff happens from lowest to highest Initiative. Your I2 bombers would have to drop mines before boosting. You should upgrade to I3 Gamma Veterans, or drop the shuttle to an I1 Omicron Group Pilot.

Thinking of Dalan with AdvSen for focus.

Guri, Virago

Hounds Tooth + 4Lom.

Would have preferred to have Lone Wolf for Guri, but then would have to bring the large base down to the medium G1-A, and that seems less good.

While I've been enjoying the Republic, the fragility of Arcs is making it hard to consistently enjoy Sinker

Obviously, the only solution is MOAR ARCS

The classic archetype is obi wan + 3 104ths. I don't much care for this idea as every arc dodger I run into is I 6 anyway

So, my lists:

Luminarca (3 arcs)

(44) Luminara Unduli [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(4) R2 Astromech
(16) Delta-7B

(51) "Wolffe" [ARC-170 Starfighter]
(1) Crack Shot

(42) 104th Battalion Pilot [ARC-170 Starfighter]

Total points: 200

Mace WinARCs

(46) Mace Windu [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(4) R2 Astromech
(16) Delta-7B
(3) Heightened Perception

(3) Clone Commander Cody

Total points: 198

Captain Oicun w/intimidation, tac officer, veteran turret gunner

3x scimitar squad bomber with barrage missiles.

To be honest, I like any list of this archetype. 1 beefy ship with gimmicks with 3 or 4 generic fighters.

for example,

tavson w/ phasma

3x omega squadron expert w/ special forces gunner

or

vennie w/ stuff

add 3 fighters

or

falcon w/ 3 a-wings, etc.

A list I flew to another small 10 man extended tourney here in Adelaide that was fun and surprisingly good went 3-1 and come 2nd.

Hera Syndulla with Swarm Tactics

Lothal Rebel with Leia

Wedge with S-Foils and Crack Shot

199pts

The 2 Ghosts fly together while Wedge picks on opposing i6/i5 pilots.

I used to fly dual Ghost lists in 1.0 and Dash/Ghost, have always loved flying the fat bastards!

I've been flying Corran with FCS and R3, two I2 65s and the I2 U-Wing with Leia (of course) and tac officer and have been doing very well with it.

I guess it's a left field Rebel Beef but it looks cool and has a lot of punch.

I'm trying to fly every ship type in 2nd ed, working my way through Scum at the moment.

I made a list featuring 4 ships I hadn't flown yet: Palob, Capt Seevor, Torani Kulda in his Kimogila, and Sunny Bounder with an ion cannon.

Got them out yesterday and realised I'd forgotten Torani's dial. Fortunately, I had some more Scyks with me so swapped in 2 of those with Ion Cannons.

Played 2 games, both against better players than I. And rolled well on my evade dice, losing 1 scyk across both games and had a great time. Ioned Soontir into a death trap, killed Duchess and a Sabre without actually ioning either and that left just Kagi vs my entire list!

Imp aces really dislike losing their tokens :D

Then I faced triple Jedi. They didn't like being ioned. :D

ITT: The way x-wing was/is meant to played :wub:

Edited by Gibbilo
12 hours ago, Gilarius said:

I'm trying to fly every ship type in 2nd ed, working my way through Scum at the moment.

I made a list featuring 4 ships I hadn't flown yet: Palob, Capt Seevor, Torani Kulda in his Kimogila, and Sunny Bounder with an ion cannon.

Got them out yesterday and realised I'd forgotten Torani's dial. Fortunately, I had some more Scyks with me so swapped in 2 of those with Ion Cannons.

Played 2 games, both against better players than I. And rolled well on my evade dice, losing 1 scyk across both games and had a great time. Ioned Soontir into a death trap, killed Duchess and a Sabre without actually ioning either and that left just Kagi vs my entire list!

Imp aces really dislike losing their tokens :D

Then I faced triple Jedi. They didn't like being ioned. :D

That sounds awesome. I’ve been having terrible luck with Scyks in 2E thus far, which makes me sad, since they seem fine on paper and I liked them in 1E. My first game with them they literally evaporated before they could do anything, and my second game was an exercise in frustration trying to line up bullseyes for HLCs (which never happened) (and then they evaporated too).

Maybe it’s ion-or-nothing? I ran missiles on them in 1E but I’m still trying to wrap my head around what’s good and what isn’t in 2E.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:16 AM, gadwag said:

Vorpal Blade (197)
Fenn Rau: Crack Shot (69)
Captain Seevor (30)

A fun and surprisingly effective build that I've been running in hyperspace

I saw this flown in Melbourne a few weeks ago at Ringwood Hyperspace Trials. Didn’t lose a game in Swiss, then finished first after cut the next day.

I wish I had the brains to make this. I love Fenn and I have struggled to find something to be his wingmen. I haven’t tried this yet, but I really want to, I love Scum and don’t want to put them away just yet.

1 hour ago, Archangelspiv said:

I saw this flown in Melbourne a few weeks ago at Ringwood Hyperspace Trials. Didn’t lose a game in Swiss, then finished first after cut the next day.

I wish I had the brains to make this. I love Fenn and I have struggled to find something to be his wingmen. I haven’t tried this yet, but I really want to, I love Scum and don’t want to put them away just yet.

I played this last month (except Fearless on Fenn instead of 3x crack shot). It’s a lot of fun, but I gave it up in the beef meta because I3 felt bad.

36 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

I played this last month (except Fearless on Fenn instead of 3x crack shot). It’s a lot of fun, but I gave it up in the beef meta because I3 felt bad.

I am hoping the points change coming soon will hurt the Cow list. There isn’t a lot it can’t do as well as every ship throwing 3 attack die in most builds.

I don’t want Rebels to go away, but it’s Beef or nothing atm.