Call for suggestions: What are you having fun with that we should try??

By Blail Blerg, in X-Wing

Hilarious to fly

Wild Space Fringer (86)
Bistan (14)
Informant (5)

Ship total: 105

"Leebo" (88)
Veteran Turret Gunner (6)
Inertial Dampeners (1)

Total: 200

It shames me that I could sucumb to such feelings but...I just haven't been enjoyed four arcs 😨

I know, I'm a weak-willed heathen, but they're just not fun when dice screw you over and their stiff asses are unable to close out games by themselves

And so...my current list that I've been enjoying like mad:

Luminarca (Sinker, Wolfe)

(44) Luminara Unduli [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(4) R2 Astromech
(16) Delta-7B

(25) Gold Squadron Trooper [V-19 Torrent Starfighter]

(51) "Wolffe" [ARC-170 Starfighter]
(3) Clone Commander Cody

(54) "Sinker" [ARC-170 Starfighter]

Total points: 197

(Bid surprisingly relevant v rebel beef and other republic lists)

Good Lord are Jedi insanely fun. They compliment Arcs perfectly with an incredible late game ship chock full of options and decisions you can make. It seems that with a Jedi around to muck up enemy target priority, and a crappy little torrent to annoy the **** out of them, Sinker and Wolfe are FAR more able to exploit their auxiliary arc and the freedom it brings

Love this list immensely :) ; can't go back to four arcs :(

dunno how relevant Luminara's ability has been (******* everyone seems to have a force user or two!), but even as mini-mace she's super solid. Might be worth to keep her on just for the bid!

remember, though, it's sometimes worth it to use her ability to force a high priority target to spend what could have been a defensive modifier! More decisions for you to make!

Edited by ficklegreendice
29 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

It shames me that I could sucumb to such feelings but...I just haven't been enjoyed four arcs 😨

I tried it too. did not enjoy it. Their bases make them even clumsier than 1.0, and the lack of critical in the back is sufficient to make them worse. Along with worse upgrades, no FAA etc. They're so much harder to get on target.

Honestly, I wish they didn't do the Arc like they did in 1.0. It desperately needs a better dial and more interesting tricks. In 1.0 it could kinda be a psuedo ace. Here its just 9 points of beef that eventually gets chopped up into steak.

2 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Here its just 9 points of beef that eventually gets chopped up into steak.

Ironically that was their job in the third film.

7 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

I tried it too. did not enjoy it. Their bases make them even clumsier than 1.0, and the lack of critical in the back is sufficient to make them worse. Along with worse upgrades, no FAA etc. They're so much harder to get on target.

Honestly, I wish they didn't do the Arc like they did in 1.0. It desperately needs a better dial and more interesting tricks. In 1.0 it could kinda be a psuedo ace. Here its just 9 points of beef that eventually gets chopped up into steak.

Eh, I'm with you on the medium base thing but I wouldn't take it further than that

Small base Arcs were THE ****. You could really make their relatively lackluster manueverability into a nonfactor by weaving between obstacle clusters like a badass

With medium bases, though, they're really ******* clunky. As I discovered with kimoglia, I REALLY don't enjoy flying multiple medium bases especially close together. It makes coordinating hard turns a massive pain in the ***.

But I really wouldn't change the dial. It's good to have to work with limitations and to circumvent them with the Arc's defining auxiliary arc.

Upgrades could be better, but they tried. 7th fleet is interesting (just too expensive) and Cody...well I ******* love Cody. Die, fickle dice, die!!! Just need better crew and we're good to go!

And I LOVE Wolfe and Sinker. Their abilities are powerful, reduce fickleness, and really force you to make the most of your positioning and foresight

Course Oddball is..a ******* joke (costs the same as Norra!? Give him the Tomax treatment: non-ability = cheaper I 5!)

And I like Jag in theory but in practice...meh

Mostly, though, I think it's 90% the medium base that is really making massed Arcs lame for me. It cuts down in their manueverability to such a degree that it really makes them more limited than I'd like.

Fortunately, just having two small bases has really opened up Wolfe's and Sinker's ability to dance like they were meant to :)

For fun, a little jank, and if you do not want to hear from the folks in your local group for a few days I have this Scum list I call Emon Aholes:

Emon Azzameen

• Trick Shot
  • Tractor Beam
  • Cluster Missles
  • Proton Bomb
  • Inertial Dampeners
  • Shield Upgrade
  • Slave I

Sunny Bounder & 2 Cartel Spacers

• Mix between Ion Cannons & HLC (198/200 w/ 2 HLC & 1 ion but all 3 can carry ion for 200/200)

The M2s tie up ships while Emon flies around dropping/launching stuff at them. Went through a mini x-wing swarm by running 2 off the board.

This is on the table for me right now. Slight variation on something with a decent road test.

(82) Rexler Brath [TIE/D Defender] (6) Outmaneuvre. Points: 86

(50) "Echo" [TIE/ph Phantom] (6) Outmaneuver, (9) Fifth Brother. Points: 65

(38) Inquisitor [TIE Advanced v1] (8) Supernatural Reflexes. Points 46

Total points: 199

Juke and an FCS or bid likely better but I'm bored of Juke, Outmanoeuvre is more fun to play around. FCS is missed on the Inq though.

@ficklegreendice

Do you think 4 Arcs is really ever worth trying again? (Last two times I flew it I was kind of dumb. and they want smallest rocks far away/open field)

I had relatively good success actually with this. The hull region is GREAT on these arcs. The last 3 points are kind of not useful: You could go bid, or elusive on Wolffe or Swarm Tactics. Cody I find just doesn't work with this list, as you rarely ever get the arcs to hit the same targets. OR HULL UPGRADE.

Sinker really isn't worth the 12 points increase either. I might suggest the astromechs that allow better K-turns. Or palpatine, or SyncCon

<b>“Sinker” (54)</b><br /><i>R5 Astromech (4)</i><br /><br /><b>“Wolffe” (51)</b><br /><i>R5 Astromech (4)</i><br /><br /><b>104th Battalion Pilot (42)</b><br /><br /><b>104th Battalion Pilot (42)</b><br />
<br />
<b><i>Total: 197</i></b>
<br />
<a href="https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic%20Republic&d=v6!s=200!280:,,,6,:;342:,,,,6,:;341:,,,,:;341:,,,,:&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron&obs=">View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0</a>

I love my quad arc list:

“Jag” (49)
Synchronized Console (2)

104th Battalion Pilot (42)
Synchronized Console (2)

“Sinker” (54)

“Wolffe” (51)

It hits hard. Sinker gone? Jag can pass locks. Go for Jag first, Sinker shines. Go for Wolffe first and you probably lose with Sinker and Jag still around, but if you dont go for Wolffe, he is the Arc I want towards endgame since he is self-sufficient. The 104th can be aggressive and any range 1 shot gets a lock passed from Jag. It's a beast of a list. Pain to fly properly cause Sinker,Jag,and Synched console dont work at range 0, so self bumping is a no-no.

For CIS, I have fun with double infiltrator + wat:

Count Dooku (61)
Hate (3)
Scimitar (4)
Kraken (10)

0-66 (55)
DRK-1 Probe Droids (6)

Wat Tambor (43)
Trick Shot (2)
Impervium Plating (6)
Soulless One (10)

Release the probes and get some locks, have the infiltrators hold onto calcs to proc Wat and have all three ships get full mod alpha strike. People want to take out infiltrators first, which means you can be aggressive with Wat, and he hits really hard at close range. Those Calcs on both infiltrators just leaves Wats ability on most of the game. All three ships being init 3 helps movement options.

Quad arcs is probably strong, I just didn't find it enjoyable

Too many medium bases made it difficult to fly in the manner I wanted to. Last time I played them they got outjousted by 3 strikers and a Reaper...******* awful time

Also, Sinker is THE **** but idk the actual math. I'd personally never fly without him because rolling bad without rerolls feels bad, man

On the other hand, Jag and Wolfe are already 50% rerolls so maybe...

Then again,

Republic Beef

(3) Clone Commander Cody

(42) 104th Battalion Pilot [ARC-170 Starfighter]

Total points: 200

Can't imagine playing without Cody. I've never hit 3 agi without him

Edited by ficklegreendice

How long does strain stay on again?

strain is for the next time they defend or perform a blue maneuver, so it's fine even 1v1

also, found a good moment to illustrate how flying two Arcs gave me much more freedom than four

60353396_10161702942425142_2370134542171

59777437_10161702942710142_1935026493633

poor baby torrent didn't make it...but better him than an Arc eh?

Here's two fun lists I'm torn between -- I need to choose one to take to Campaign Against Cancer. It's a tradition in our area to bring fun janky lists to that event instead of top meta.

A) Wullff Nuke

Fully modified (focus + lock) 4-, 5-, or 6-dice shots are very common, and you could potentially get 7 dice if all the factors aligned (though that hasn't happened in my games).

Because someday Wookies will be the galaxy's villains!

1053201527_WookieKrennicsm.png.4887dd8e1fd97207328b382bf12a9362.png

B) Four Kimogilas?! It'll Never Work!

Pure Kimos, including the named pilots. Dalan can steal a shield after taking a shot or stopping with Inertial Dampeners. Torani can double-tap her railgun ability when she fires cluster missiles. All four ships ignore green tokens when attacking down their bullseyes, like god intended.

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Too many medium bases made it difficult to fly in the manner I wanted to. Last time I played them they got outjousted by 3 strikers and a Reaper...******* awful time

Also, Sinker is THE **** but idk the actual math. I'd personally never fly without him because rolling bad without rerolls feels bad, man

Then again,

Republic Beef

(3) Clone Commander Cody

OMG I just played this very list last night, except I didn’t have Cody! The bid was a huge help, though, because my opponent had 2 2s and a 4. I can confirm that Sinker was amazeballs while he lived, and he represented the top kill priority for my opponent.

Boy do ARCs burn fast under concentrated fire! And crits are devastating—almost enough to make me want astromechs to help compensate! Torrents are interesting but not amazing... need to keep flying & experimenting.

Definitely a solid list though, and a fun introduction to Republic!

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Then again,

Republic Beef

(3) Clone Commander Cody

Perhaps this?

Luminara Unduli (44)
R2 Astromech (4)

Ship total: 48 Half Points: 24 Threshold: 2

"Wolffe" (51)
Clone Commander Cody (3)

Ship total: 54 Half Points: 27 Threshold: 5

"Sinker" (54)
Ship total: 54 Half Points: 27 Threshold: 5

104th Battalion Pilot (42)
Ship total: 42 Half Points: 21 Threshold: 5

Total: 198

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Republic&d=v6!s=200!274:,2,,:;342:,,,225,,:;280:,,,,:;341:,,,,:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Changing crits to hits sure would help no?

2 hours ago, Wazat said:

Dalan can steal a shield after taking a shot or stopping with Inertial Dampeners.

That's a really clever piece of kit for Dalan. Seems like a lot of the time he won't have had a shield lost, or your opponent won't have a shield left, when you want to use it. Inertial Dampeners gives you a chance to cancel your move if you already have BE on someone who already moved.

//

The thing I think folks ought to try flying is TIE/sfs without the gunner. I've been pleasantly surprised by their effectiveness, with how good simply having rear guns is. Not quite as fast or mobile as an A-Wing, but they don't have to worry about guessing arc wrong, and the full-white dial of a SF is also really very good, with both fast and slow maneuvers. A-Wings can't slowroll nearly so well, and the defensive toughness of a SF is a bit better.

I've mostly flown with Advanced Optics, which makes their guns super consistent, but I'm planning on trying out Fanatical Omegas. I feel like that'll add some decent toughness to them.

5x is a decent swarm, with points around for either small toys or Backdraft.

4x gets you lots of toys and at least Backdraft, if not also Quickdraw.

3x fairly trim SFs (Optics or Fanatical) will allow a strong 4th ship, like a decent Kylo (10 points for upgrades so no SNR) or a wicked loaded Upsilon (Tavson + Advanced Sensors + Hux seems spicy).

7 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

you'd probably enjoy battle meds (heh) more with Ahsoka's ability triggering it

and a 7th fleet and cody instead of shields, since Arcs burn fast you gotta kill fast too!

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Republic&d=v6!s=200!276:212,2,,:;341:,,227,,:;341:,,225,,:;341:,,,,:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=gascloud1,gascloud2,gascloud3

edit: ...wait...no Delta B!?

ABANDON SHIP

(seriously, that config makes the tiny thing worth flying at all)

In 2ish games I have lost 1 arc. Delta B is solid for a front line attacker but mace is a double coord support plinking from the back. As you note medium bases need to spread out a little bit more. Hence why the r1 of ashoka is less useful than maces 3 force charges and higher ps. Arcs move and focus. Mace coords TLs to two. Sometimes he uses tuned controls to manage range (hence 3rd fp for defense is good, same with 3 agility).

Won w/ 0 losses against Boba & 2 butterflies. Won with 1 loss and 1 with 1 hp against Han, Fenn, Old T.

For kicks and giggles, a suicide Z scum swarm.

The Unlucky 7: 7bof the following.

(24) Binayre Pirate [Z-95-AF4 Headhunter]
(2) Deadman's Switch
(2) Electronic Baffle

Total points: 196

The baffle gives you some control of when you blow up.

Bite Me

Saw Gerrera — UT-60D U-Wing

Juke 5
Tactical Officer 2
Perceptive Copilot 8
Pivot Wing 0
Deadman’s Switch 2
Ship Total: 69
Wullffwarro — Auzituck Gunship 56
Juke 5
Perceptive Copilot 8
Jyn Erso 2
Ship Total: 71
Kullbee Sperado — T-65 X-Wing 48
Deadman’s Switch 2
Juke 5
R2 Astromech 4
Servomotor S-Foils 0
Ship Total: 59

As it dies, it just fights harder and harder until it blows up in your face. All I4, all Juking. You could leave off the Tactical Officer to give Kullbee a bid, or drop him to a CAZ to give Saw Advanced Sensors.

Not quite Beef though, and struggles against any dedicated aces

Edited by ClassicalMoser
7 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

That's a really clever  piece of kit for Dalan. Seems like a lot of the time he won't have had a shield lost, or your opponent won't have a shield left, when you want to use it. Inertial Dampeners gives you a chance to cancel your move if you already have BE on someone who already moved.

Yea, I've flown Dalan in a lot of matches now and his main problem is he almost never gets to use his ability; he's either not hurt when he lines up foes, or he can't for a while and then everyone's shields are already gone. Inertial Dampeners is a nice control point with great utility, like putting Saw and/or Selfless on Wullff.

Also worth noting, he can steal shields from allies. Those two scrubs flying with him can be useful shield batteries if he's getting beat up.

Edit: I also like the idea of giving him Electronic Baffle, but points are a bit tight and I don't want to steal from Torani, though the astromech is an option.

Edited by Wazat
forgot something

A modification of my original 'Vessery & Friends' list (basically just swapping some tops around to include the fully operational Hatchetman:

V for Victory

Major Vynder (39)
Fire-Control System (2)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Proton Torpedoes (12)

Ship total: 62 Half Points: 31 Threshold: 4

Colonel Vessery (86)
Juke (5)
Jamming Beam (0)

Ship total: 91 Half Points: 46 Threshold: 4

Ved Foslo (45)
Fire-Control System (2)

Ship total: 47 Half Points: 24 Threshold: 3

3 hours ago, PartridgeKing said:

V for  V  ictory 

All Vs. That’s pretty clever! Hatchetman really wants Jendon though, or at least a coordinate. Try Vermeil with Vader?

Edited by ClassicalMoser
9 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Hatchetman really wants Jendon though, or at least a coordinate. Try Vermeil with Vader?

Originally Vynder (like Ved) was just a vehicle for free mods with Vessery, but you know, a vehicle who could punch well above his weight. The list formed from a 'reactive manoeuvring' idea with Ryad instead of Vessery so they all had I4 movement shenanigans as well.

I think you're right that at a proper competitive level you need Jendon or coordinate, but so far I've been enjoying decent results without.