Call for suggestions: What are you having fun with that we should try??

By Blail Blerg, in X-Wing

Two part concept:

Suggest a build that

1. You believe is really fun or strong, (label it accordingly)

2. That you think we/forumers should try.

I'm starting off with a special request for an old 3 faction (or FO) build. Cuz I'm not happy that I don't have my Wave3 yet.

Edited by Blail Blerg
3 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

I'm starting off with a special request for an old 3 faction (or FO) build. Cuz I'm not happy that I don't have my Wave3 yet.

Took the following list 3-3 at a HS Trial (3 wins then 3 losses in a row... So close to those dice </3) after coming up with it the night before.

You deploy your obstacles beyond range 3 of your opponent’s deployment zone, using Boba (crew) to deploy Emon where his 3-straight bomb/mine will either damage the opponent’s ship(s) or disrupt their formation. After that he’s just a huge bully, shutting down lanes and helping funnel the opponent.

Composure on the Starvipers lets you get aggressive with their boosts & barrel rolls without much penalty.

Ahoy

(76) Emon Azzameen [Firespray-class Patrol Craft]
(0) Jamming Beam
(4) Boba Fett
(4) Andrasta
(5) Proton Bombs
(6) Proximity Mines
(3) Elusive

(48) Black Sun Assassin [StarViper-class Attack Platform]
(2) Fire-Control System
(1) Composure

(48) Black Sun Assassin [StarViper-class Attack Platform]
(2) Fire-Control System
(1) Composure

Total points: 200

Imperial : Double decimator!
CIS : Triple sith infiltrator!

and my favorite weird janky build to try and see if it has merit :
FO : The alpha strike galore! (Quickdraw + swarm tactic + targeting synchronizer, 3 x Omega Squaddie with swarm tactics and missile. Sample list here : https://raithos.github.io/?f=First Order&d=v6!s=200!243:132,177,,182,113,:;285:132,,,98,,108:;285:132,,,98,,108:;285:132,,,101,,108:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs= )

hhhhmmmm, fun, jank lists you say, well why not try an old favourite of mine...

YV-666 Light Freighter - •Bossk - 101
•Bossk - Fearsome Hunter (66)
•Lone Wolf (5)
Jamming Beam (0)
•IG-88D (4)
•Maul (11)
Rigged Cargo Chute (4)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Hound’s Tooth (1)
•Dengar (6)

YV-666 Light Freighter - •Moralo Eval - 91
•Moralo Eval - Criminal Mastermind (70)
Trick Shot (2)
Jamming Beam (0)
Perceptive Copilot (8)
•0-0-0 (5)
Shield Upgrade (4)
•BT-1 (2)

Z-95-AF4 Headhunter - • Nashtah Pup - 6
Nashtah Pup - Contingency Plan (6)

Total: 198/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Bossk hits like a truck, and reinforce keeps him on the table alot longer than it should. And then you have to kill him again in a Z-95 :)

the Moralo build is great fun, if you can time the teleport right. I've beaten 5x A-wings with this list, but also lost to vanilla TIE swarms.

in either case its great fun if you like an aggro build with a few tricks

I am not sure on an exact list yet, but I want to try a Scum list of the two limited Y-wings and the Black Sun Assassin Starviper.

As far as for the sheer fun of flying a list, it's probably five interceptors and Wampa. Results can vary greatly, though... :)

4 hours ago, underling said:

As far as for the sheer fun of flying a list, it's probably five interceptors and Wampa. Results can vary greatly, though... :)

I've tried this out, but I prefer 5 Sabre Squadron Aces instead. The Initiative advantage is marked, allowing them to act as mini aces in a lot of games and blockers against real aces.

Yep, I could see this also. The advantage with six is that you have the potential for six, three dice attacks. And if one gets "I" killed it's not quite as bad. The upside with the Sabers obviously is a higher I. Of course, if one does get "I" killed it's a little bigger hit. I haven't flown the Sabers yet, but I'd guess I'd fly them much the same way: independently and all over the place. As long as they're pointing at the same target when it's time to shoot... Either way this build is one of the more fun builds I've flown, and actually the main reason for me ending up with five RZ-2s. :)

I flew three Strikers, two interceptor, and Del Meeko. One because I think the I1 Striker is better than the I1 interceptor. Two because having the Interceptors deploy in The front corners of formation then break off in opposite directions as flaknkers means that your opponent turns towards these ships, exposing them to the bulk of your list or ignores them, and allows the Interceptor to get great positional advantage behind their list. Seriously, with 4 ships up the middle you can block most turn around moves easily. And finally, because I only have 3 Strikers and there are only two copies of the Alpha squadron in the conversion kit.

Lately I’ve been flying a lot of Jedi. And one list I tried, because I thought it was bad but wanted to be sure, was as follows:

Jedi Knight: Battle Meditation, CLT

104th Battalion Pilot x2

Gold Squadron Trooper: Concussion Missile, Munitions Failsafe x2

The shocking thing is… it may actually be good. Beat two very different lists with it. A Kylo QuickDraw Backdraft list and an 8 energy shell droid list. The ability to flip crits was nasty, especially against the droids. Was able to take two off the table before they even shot, and forced all but 3 calculate tokens to be spent to prevent destroying 3 or more. Even managed to flip a direct hit for the kill.

Jedi Knights seemed bad. Battle Meditation seems bad on them due to one force. But being able to get potentially 3-4 double modded shots on the initial pass is certainly powerful.

Torrents have a bad dial, underwhelming stat line, missiles aren’t great, low initiative lock based missiles in particular seem bad, which all adds up to bad. But for some reason this list, with all its pieces, works. It shouldn’t, 60% is things I thought were bad, but it works. The Battle Meditation, though removing the Jedi as an offensive threat, really helps key off your bigger guns, whichever needs help most.

Not super powerful, but this was a fun list to fly!

T-65 X-wing - •Luke Skywalker - 64
•Luke Skywalker - Red Five (62)
R4 Astromech (2)
Servomotor S-foils (Open) (0)

T-65 X-wing - •Wedge Antilles - 56
•Wedge Antilles - Red Two (52)
Predator (2)
R4 Astromech (2)
Servomotor S-foils (Open) (0)

RZ-1 A-wing - Green Squadron Pilot - 40
Green Squadron Pilot - (32)
Daredevil (3)
Homing Missiles (5)

RZ-1 A-wing - Green Squadron Pilot - 40
Green Squadron Pilot - (32)
Daredevil (3)
Homing Missiles (5)

Total: 200/200

Okay here comes my wave 3. Gimme your best lists for Seps and Rep. Best this time. I want to have fun doing the most powerful things.

Not the strongest but certainly fun and super tanky.

4x Red Squadron Veteran - S-Foils- R2 Astromech

flavor with EPT to taste

stong against lower initiatives and block and tough against higher Initiative pilots.

I've had a fair amount of fun with the following:

TIE/in Interceptor - •Soontir Fel - 54
•Soontir Fel - Ace of Legend (52)
Predator (2)

Lambda -class T-4a Shuttle - •Lieutenant Sai - 65
•Lieutenant Sai - Death Squadron Veteran (47)
•Grand Inquisitor (14)
ST-321 (4)

TIE Advanced x1 - •Darth Vader - 73
•Darth Vader - Black Leader (65)
Fire-Control System (2)
Afterburners (6)

Total: 192/200

The action economy from the shuttle is strong, and both Vader and Soontir are agile enough to avoid the worst of whatever you enemy throws at you.

It is somewhat risky, however, as losing either of them to a bad roll or poor flying (hello Debris Clouds!) will seriously hinder your options. I'm most likely going to fly this at my local tournament this weekend, as I feel it measures up very nicely against the Republic.

This triple Silencer list is amazing fun to fly, with your ships' attacks getting stronger as they lose shields. It's very reliant on good flying (which is why I've had not entirely consistent results with it ;) ), but if you get yourself with both Fanatical and Advanced Optics online, it's some incredibly reliable offence. There's an argument to be made for Trick Shot on Blackout, but I've found Fanatical to be better for more consistent attacks when you don't pull off the obstructed shots.

The Fanatical/Advanced Optics First Order Test Pilots are some of the best value ships in the game at 64 points apiece - well worth throwing in as filler for pretty much any First Order list.

“Blackout” (64)
Fanatical (2)
Advanced Optics (4)

First Order Test Pilot (58)
Fanatical (2)
Advanced Optics (4)

First Order Test Pilot (58)
Fanatical (2)
Advanced Optics (4)
Total: 198

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Thought I'd add another one.

It's a variant of the five Rz-2 lists that have been going around.

This one has: Greer, Zari and three Green Squadrons, all with Heroic and Advanced Optics.

I think Republic needs some point tweaks to be fully competitive, but ho boy are they fun to fly. Mace Windu and Wolffe are both pilots that are crazy fun to fly. Last night I flew:

Wolffe

-Clone Commander Cody

54 pts

Mace Windu

-Calibrated Laser Targetting

52 pts

Luminara Unduli

44 pts

Gold Squadron Trooper x2

25 pts each

200 pts

I was nervous about flying a jedi naked, but as long as you don't expect heavy damage output, they're actually really great. Basically an A-wing with force tokens. She pulled her weight and was still alive at the end of the match. I pulled out a win against Darth Mau, General Greivous, and 3 Precise Hunters.

Edited by Spartan556

TIE Advanced v1 - •Seventh Sister - 54
•Seventh Sister - Sadistic Interrogator (46)
Fire-Control System (2)
Concussion Missiles (6)

TIE Advanced v1 - Inquisitor - 44

Inquisitor - (38)
Concussion Missiles (6)

TIE Advanced v1 - Inquisitor - 44
Inquisitor - (38)
Concussion Missiles (6)

Lambda -class T-4a Shuttle - •Colonel Jendon - 57

•Colonel Jendon - Darth Vader’s Shuttle Pilot (46)
Jamming Beam (0)
•Emperor Palpatine (11)

Total: 199/200

Jendon gives everyone the ability to lock beyond range 3. You pick a Target and just unload with missiles that are double modded.

3 agility dice with a force token AND Palp is very difficult to chew through.

Edited by IceManHG

So, CIS... @Blail Blerg - I've found them very fun. Those little droid fighters and their crazy dials are wonderful fun. I keep throwing them into lists but I've yet to unlock their secrets. At the moment they pop like popcorn...

Items of strength:

• The Infiltrator - I've yet to be disappointed by any of the pilots. Even the lower generics. Cloak'em and run them as network hub and blockers.
  • Grievous, crew and pilot.
  • Good ol' Butterbot, DFS-311 - a ship that provides coordinate from out to range 3, on a basically I12 level? Sure... Yes, I'm aware it's only a calculate token. It's been good.
7 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

So, CIS... @Blail Blerg - I've found them very fun. Those little droid fighters and their crazy dials are wonderful fun. I keep throwing them into lists but I've yet to unlock their secrets. At the moment they pop like popcorn...

Items of strength:

• The Infiltrator - I've yet to be disappointed by any of the pilots. Even the lower generics. Cloak'em and run them as network hub and blockers.
  • Grievous, crew and pilot.
  • Good ol' Butterbot, DFS-311 - a ship that provides coordinate from out to range 3, on a basically I12 level? Sure... Yes, I'm aware it's only a calculate token. It's been good.

Grappling Struts are pretty legit, too.

Not a whole list, but a fun ship to try out: jek porkins+elusive+chopper

I credit myself for the initial discovery of this build

Has anyone tried 5 Bellyrubs?

Something like this?

Feethan Ottraw Autopilot (37)
Kraken (10)
Hull Upgrade (5)

(Currently I have a mere 2 but this seems like a load of fun albeit in a rather uncompetitive way)

4 hours ago, Spartan556 said:

I think Republic needs some point tweaks to be fully competitive, but ho boy are they fun to fly. Mace Windu and Wolffe are both pilots that are crazy fun to fly. Last night I flew:

Wolffe

-Clone Commander Cody

54 pts

Mace Windu

-Calibrated Laser Targetting

52 pts

Luminara Unduli

44 pts

Gold Squadron Trooper x2

25 pts each

200 pts

I was nervous about flying a jedi naked, but as long as you don't expect heavy damage output, they're actually really great. Basically an A-wing with force tokens. She pulled her weight and was still alive at the end of the match. I pulled out a win against Darth Mau, General Greivous, and 3 Precise Hunters.

That’s definitely a lot of beef.

1 hour ago, Roller of blanks said:

Not a whole list, but a fun ship to try out: jek porkins+elusive+chopper

I credit myself for the initial discovery of this build

When?

I saw it on the squad forum and took him to Gdansk Open back in November. Alongside Wedge, Thane, and Garven. Lots of fun.

Sidious' Sidekicks (Seps)

Maul w/Hate

Dooku w/Hate, Scimitar

Grievous w/Outmaneuver, Soulless One

Super fun list with lots of Force trickery- it is also surprisingly forgiving for those that tend to misjudge and bump other ships/run over obstacles. Grievous runs up on a flank while Maul/Dooku charge the enemy. The Sith use their Hate to recharge Force, while using their abilities as much as possible- Dooku re-cloaks and removes stress to set up his next turn, Maul takes double-shots when possible. The list is strong against lists that try to mess with dice modifiers, as both the Sith have good dice modification built-in with Force and don't "require" a focus/TL to mod their attacks. The Infiltrator is a strong ship, due to its very maneuverable dial, while the Bel-22 can do decently if not spectacularly as a flanker/dogfighter.