STAR WARS: RESISTANCE Discussion Thread!

By That Blasted Samophlange, in X-Wing Off-Topic

I’d love to see Fel return to canon, but I worry slightly that too many elements of the character were used across various Rebels antagonists (notably Kalus, Valen and Vult Skerris).

The merge has happened!

To me one of the best aspects of the original Star Wars, which is part of my gripe with Ezra, is that despite Luke being put on the path to become a jedi his use of the force is extremely minimal in all the movies.

When the force is used its significant and mystical. Ethereal and otherworldly. Unfamiliar and incomprehensible yet not so alien we can't grasp the concept of it. I think that's how it should always be portrayed.

That to me is why Rogue One also works so well. When Vader shows up its horrifying. We see the distruction regular people are capable of the entire movie only to realize with Vader the truth of his line on how insignificant any technological terror is next to the power of the force.

The Thrawn Trilogy of books also did an excellent job making the force terrifying through Thrawn's constant dance around the shifting, power hungry madness of Cbaoth.

That's maybe why I never particularly liked Ezra. In a way he's more a prequel jedi, his powers flashy and over exaggerated and the use of it is far too familliar.

The sequels on the other hand have handled the force incredibly well I think, balancing the prequel razzle dazzle with the subdued portrayal in the originals.

So if we do see a force user I hope it's made mystical, mysterious, something that will give you a dozen more questions for each answer. Star Wars doesn't have enough mystery, which is why Resistance could be incredible.

I am looking forward to this. Great to see 2-D animation come back with Duck Tales and this, maybe some day there will even be feature films using it again. I'm really tired of the Pixarisation of animated movies.

How many wolves will Filoni be able to shovel into this show?

Edited by SpikeSpiegel
4 hours ago, SpikeSpiegel said:

How many wolves will Filoni be able to shovel into this show?

The stars of the show will probably be something like "Wolf Pack Squadron," or a main character's call sign will be "Lone Wolf."

3 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

The stars of the show will probably be something like "Wolf Pack Squadron," or a main character's call sign will be "Lone Wolf."

It's so obvious that it's tiresome.

What an odd crosssover of film actors and classic VA talents. Bobby Moiynihan and Jim Rash are all over cartoons these days. But then you have Poe and Phasma actually voiced by Poe and Phasma? Weird.

I gotta be honest, I'm really hoping Donald Faison is reprising his Robot Chicken role as a stormtrooper. ?

Not SUPER psyched about the time setting. Means any new ships the show adds are probably going to be First Order/Resistance factions in X-Wing.

So...how many seasons do you think it will be before they bring back Thrawn and Ezra? Because you KNOW they're going to!

20 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

What an odd crosssover of film actors and classic VA talents. Bobby Moiynihan and Jim Rash are all over cartoons these days. But then you have Poe and Phasma actually voiced by Poe and Phasma? Weird.

I gotta be honest, I'm really hoping Donald Faison is reprising his Robot Chicken role as a stormtrooper. ?

Not SUPER psyched about the time setting. Means any new ships the show adds are probably going to be First Order/Resistance factions in X-Wing.

So...how many seasons do you think it will be before they bring back Thrawn and Ezra? Because you KNOW they're going to!

I'm not sure they will. I think we may get a seperate series down the line. I suspect this show will be 4 seasons as well.

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

I would guess the second season. Give them a season to find the show's voice, then start dragging in old characters, much like they did with Rebels .

Edited by Alpha17
1 minute ago, Alpha17 said:

I would guess the second season. Give them a season to find the show's voice, then start dragging in old characters, much like they did with Rebels .

You hear that? We’re getting an even older Old Man Hando!!!!!

1 minute ago, GrimmyV said:

You hear that? We’re getting an even older Old Man Hando!!!!!

I think by this point, he and Rex classify as Ancient.

Just now, Alpha17 said:

I think by this point, he and Rex classify as Ancient.

I guess it doesn’t matter since the World Between Worlds (WBW) will let them bring ANY character from any point in history to play in the ST era. Thanks Filoni

39 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

I guess it doesn’t matter since the World Between Worlds (WBW) will let them bring ANY character from any point in history to play in the ST era. Thanks Filoni

Oh, you really aren't even beginning to think of the implications of that, which they will be exploring in the new movies.

Hint: Luke's Force Ghost is Obi-Wan's father!

1 minute ago, xanderf said:

Oh, you really aren't even beginning to think of the implications of that, which they will be exploring in the new movies.

Or, more likely: we will never see or hear from the Lothal temple and its time magic, ever again.

It's not like the Mortis story line (ughh) is greatly featured anywhere but in Filoni's fever dream he calls a show.

He gets to play with his toys, but he is not allowed to wear big boy pants. Thank god for that.

2 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

Reaction+Head+Bash.gif

3 hours ago, xanderf said:

I see you and raise you one:

In a mind boggling, universe-ending paradoxical twist, Darth Vader is not only Luke and Leia’s father, he is his own father, too!!!

raw

6 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

I don't... Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk but I don't think you got what exactly the World Between Worlds really was, if you believe they can just do that. Everything that was going to happen had already happen. Nothing could be changed.

Echoes of Kylo Ren himself could be heard in there. By Ezra. Who has no reason to know who he is.

Ezra, Ahsoka, Palpatine, none of them changed anything, or even could. Ahsoka's fate was decided in Season 2's ending, Ezra did not save Kanan despite having the chance (or so he believed- he didn't have the chance, because he already hadn't saved Kanan.)- nothing could be done in the world between worlds to change the constants within the universe.

Nothing that had not already been done. It's abstract.

6 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

Or, more likely: we will never see or hear from the Lothal temple and its time magic, ever again.

It's not like the Mortis story line (ughh) is greatly featured anywhere but in Filoni's fever dream he calls a show.

He gets to play with his toys, but he is not allowed to wear big boy pants. Thank god for that.

So I disagree on the last line, but I'm not big on the Mortis stuff either, in fact, I really don't like it... but it's here to stay, y'know?

But I will say that, yeah, we definitely won't ever hear from the Lothal temple again. See above: All that had transpired will have happened anyway. It's like a fixed point.

1 hour ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk but I don't think  you got what exactly the World Between Worlds really was, if you believe they can just do that. Everything that  was going to happen had already happen. Nothing could b  e chang  ed. 

I know, the writers opened a can of worms and tried to contain it as best as they could. And demonstrating that any time travel is predestined and ‘already’ happened is the least messy way to handle a single rigid timeline. Basically it’s Bill and Ted time travel, not Back to the Future. (A more recent example would be Bran’s green seeing causing Wilis to become Hodor in GoT)

and no I don’t believe Ezra the magic Jedi street rat can just go through any portal or ****** people from the past or future just willy nilly. At least not with the meta-rule of timeline conservation. As long as ‘destiny’ is present any ‘time travel’ is going to be safely contained in a rigid unchanging static timeline. How boring. Give me alternate universes any day.

2 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

I know, the writers opened a can of worms and tried to contain it as best as they could. And demonstrating that any time travel is predestined and ‘already’ happened is the least messy way to handle a single rigid timeline. Basically it’s Bill and Ted time travel, not Back to the Future. (A more recent example would be Bran’s green seeing causing Wilis to become Hodor in GoT)

and no I don’t believe Ezra the magic Jedi street rat can just go through any portal or ****** people from the past or future just willy nilly. At least not with the meta-rule of timeline conservation. As long as ‘destiny’ is present any ‘time travel’ is going to be safely contained in a rigid unchanging static timeline. How boring. Give me alternate universes any day.

I'm relieved.

I've run into lots of people who just bellow, "Nothing matters now!" and leave it at that.

All this force talk makes me think of two things;

1. That no one is ever happy with the force being pseudo scientific or being wholly mystical.

2. I hope Resistance doesn't have any force users at all. I think Hera, proves that you can have an interesting character without the force.

50 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

1. That no one is ever happy with the force being pseudo scientific or being wholly mystical.

2. I hope Resistance doesn't have any force users at all. I think Hera, proves that you can have an interesting character without the force.

I thought the Clones proved that despite being (mostly) identical visually and all voiced by the same guy. But yeah Hera is awesome.

Also im totally happy with the force being mystical. It is a nice contrast to the reliance on technology, as Vader said, and all of Yoda’s teachings were completely science or pseudo science free. When Ben called it an energy field he was trying to explain it to a motor-head farm boy who had never heard of it despite being super strong in the Force. And, before the mistep of Midichloreans that was all the explanation we ever had.

Basically the Force in SW is the one source of all weirdness and unexplainable spiritual/religious/supernatural stuff. So it shouldn’t surprise anyone that flying, solid astral projections, time traveling portals and Force Gods appear. And that goes for Ewok and Night Sister Magic too

Edited by GrimmyV
1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Personally, like I’ve said before, I wouldn’t mind seeing a naturally Force sensitive species, like the Miraluka, but not the point of “actually” being force sensitive. i.e. Using the force for a sense but not to move objects, heighten reflexes, etc.... Maybe one old enough to have lived during the Empire’s rein, and that could remind the squadron why they’re fighting the First Order (I’d imagine such species would have either been nearly wiped out like the Lasot, or put into slavery like the Wookies). Just a thought.

At the same time though, I like the idea of no Force sensitive main characters.

Edited by sf1raptor
7 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I for one like it being wholly mystical.
But yes, I agree. I don't want force sensitive main characters.

hey wait where'd the other thread with my fancy OP go