STAR WARS: RESISTANCE Discussion Thread!

By That Blasted Samophlange, in X-Wing Off-Topic

As per StarWars.com we have the character names:

Kazuda Xiono - the main character.

Yeager - the older man that wants no part if the spy business. Obvious reference to Chuck Yeager.

Bucket - the cobbled together astromech

Tam - the female human?

Neeku - the Nikto likely.

know what that ship reminds me of?

the ships from the "space racer" game in the pilot episode of Reboot..

Tearg537r.jpg

https://youtu.be/u1pc6teZGnw?t=968

I wonder if, with this series, we could get a new form of play for x-wing? I've seen people do mario kart.. why not an official “racing mode” for the game? Larger play area, more focus on maneuvering. That could be fun.

2 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I wonder if, with this series, we could get a new form of play for x-wing? I've seen people do mario kart.. why not an official “racing mode” for the game? Larger play area, more focus on maneuvering. That could be fun.

Not all that hard to do without requiring official support. I've did a waypoint race with my daughter around instant kill obstacles to get her to work on her maneuvers. Used target lock tokens to mark the route. :)

Hmm, i don't hate the trailer but not too excited about it. But I felt the same about Rebels and I quickly grew to love it so we shall see what happens. I kinda like the animation on it, fan of Polygon's other pieces of work. And I also like the looks of the ships shown, the one ship does make me think of a z-95.

And bonus bit is new ships for Resistance and First Order hopefully.

Wasn't too hot on this on my first view, but there are details I like, like seeing some racing (which was mentioned a lot in Bloodline, my favourite new canon book). Still looking forward to this, ST era needs more auxiliary media!

On 8/17/2018 at 5:13 PM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I sure hope so. I just wonder what ships and upgrades would be allowed.

On 4/26/2018 at 12:18 PM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

That Blasted Samophlange

Can you fix the thread's title, please?

9 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Can you fix the thread's title, please?

Certainly! Thanks for pointing that out!

On 8/17/2018 at 8:23 PM, mithril2098 said:

know what that ship reminds me of?

the ships from the "space racer" game in the pilot episode of Reboot..

Tearg537r.jpg

https://youtu.be/u1pc6teZGnw?t=968

Who knows? But I intend to find out.

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Certainly! Thanks for pointing that out!

Thanks, that was triggering my OCD every time I saw it. :D

R41 Starchaser!

It's now canon!

nEffIdD.thumb.jpg.8b9dafcc4eb36647342d96388f2857ef.jpg

bmc6Lc7.thumb.jpg.29df2f230909b4deaec47c2c4aa119fb.jpg

1 hour ago, Eskandare said:

R41 Starchaser!

It's now canon!

nEffIdD.thumb.jpg.8b9dafcc4eb36647342d96388f2857ef.jpg

bmc6Lc7.thumb.jpg.29df2f230909b4deaec47c2c4aa119fb.jpg

Maybe it is an R-41 variant, maybe it isn't. Looks like a Lemans race car with wings.

56 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Maybe it is an R-41 variant, maybe it isn't. Looks like a Lemans race car with wings.

Yes it looks like a Porsche but it always looked like a race car rather then a star fighter. I believe that the Porche 917 was the inspiration for the R-41.

A Star Wars series that revolves around fighter pilots and not force users is a dream come true.

I wish it was GCW era, but this is fine too. Resistance and First Order factions in X-Wing Miniatures need more ships anyway.

38 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

A Star Wars series that revolves around fighter pilots and not force users is a dream come true.

I wish it was GCW era, but this is fine too. Resistance and First Order factions in X-Wing Miniatures need more ships anyway.

Yes, yes, yes yes. A million times YES.

That said I kinda' expect Hera's son to pop up... Somewhere.

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

True, but I would love to see a Rogue Squadron film or series at somepoint.

If they don't have a pilot ability that represents annoying the **** out of a sane person, say, handing out 1 stress just for looking at/hearing the main character, then it will be a wasted opportunity.

7 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

If they don't have a pilot ability that represents annoying the **** out of a sane person, say, handing out 1 stress just for looking at/hearing the main character, then it will be a wasted opportunity.

Sounds more like a crew ability that affects that ship's pilot.

10 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

True, but I would love to see a Rogue Squadron film or series at somepoint.

Currently in canon, and thas is all Disney will be dealing in, Rogue Squadron has only just been formed by Luke (in the comics) and was only due to him disobeying direct orders.

Since Denis Lawson and Mark Hamil are older, and the former previously refused to reprise his role, we will not get an live action movie. Filoni is likely working on his own thing with Sabine and Ahsoka (Thrawn and Ezra will likely be handled in one of the books Zahn is writing that he can't talk about) and mentoring whoever is in charge of Resistance.

What that means is it is very likely we will only see Rogue Squadron in the comics.

2 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Since Denis Lawson and Mark Hamil are older, and the former previously refused to reprise his role, we will not get an live action movie. Filoni is likely working on his own thing with Sabine and Ahsoka (Thrawn and Ezra will likely be handled in one of the books Zahn is writing that he can't talk about) and mentoring whoever is in charge of Resistance.

Last I heard Denis Lawson was busy during the shooting of TFA and didn't want to only come back for a brief cameo when he had other obligations. If they wanted to do live action they could easily have it framed so the start is Wedge working on his memoirs or even him telling some war stories to Poe and then cutting to the OT era with a recast Wedge leading the squadron. To deal with Luke, he wasn't always a part of Rogue Squadron, at least no in Legends so they could work around it.

I suspect that Filoni will either have Resistance deal with the Ezra/Thrawn/Ahsoka and Sabine stuff or he will likely work it into a future animated project. I don't see him giving the reins to Zahn since Zahn originally wanted to use Ahsoka for Thrawn: Alliances only to be turned down due to Ahsoka being Filoni's character, though don't know if Filoni or the Story Group made that call. And while still Filoni will likely focus his efforts mostly on his own personal projects the fact is he is in charge of the animation division so they could always work on a project even if he wasn't directly involved.

Looking more at the ship that a lot of us are assuming is a built from an R-41 Starchaser (including me)

It also has a some looks similar to an A-Wing, specifically the cockpit and engine fins (not a perfect match but similarities are closer than to the R-41)

The main parts that remind of the R-41 Starchaser are the forward guns and the wings.

As others have said, I think it might be safe to call these "uglies" in that they are likely pieced together from old fighters. For this reason, I don't expect many of these to show up in XWTMG... which is disappointing. Then again, we did see two of the same ship attacking a ground target. Those might be FO or scum faction ships that we could see later.

41 minutes ago, Ixidor said:

Looking more at the ship that a lot of us are assuming is a built from an R-41 Starchaser (including me)

It also has a some looks similar to an A-Wing, specifically the cockpit and engine fins (not a perfect match but similarities are closer than to the R-41)

The main parts that remind of the R-41 Starchaser are the forward guns and the wings.

As others have said, I think it might be safe to call these "uglies" in that they are likely pieced together from old fighters. For this reason, I don't expect many of these to show up in XWTMG... which is disappointing. Then again, we did see two of the same ship attacking a ground target. Those might be FO or scum faction ships that we could see later.

They might always show up as only unique pilot ships too. I mean, it mostly just comes down to the fact that the Resistance and FO really badly need more ships to fill their factions out.

1 hour ago, Ixidor said:

As others have said, I think it might be safe to call these "uglies" in that they are likely pieced together from old fighters. For this reason, I don't expect many of these to show up in XWTMG ... which is disappointing. Then again, we did see two of the same ship attacking a ground target. Those might be FO or scum faction ships that we could see later.

You don't expect to see a ship that's seen on the poster of Resistance... To be in XWMG?

19 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

You don't expect to see a ship that's seen on the poster of Resistance... To be in XWMG?

That's the most likely one of the group, I guess.

The rest, I won't hold my breath. But I'll also be happy to see them if it happens.

20 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

They might always show up as only unique pilot ships too. I mean, it mostly just comes down to the fact that the Resistance and FO really badly need more ships to fill their factions out.

Other than the main pilot's racer and whatever the two ships are that are seen attacking the city, I would expect most of these to fall into Scum. That is, unless the other pilots and racers are shown to be directly tied to one of those two factions. I get what you're saying but what we've seen so far does not seem like it will fill in those factions very much.