STAR WARS: RESISTANCE Discussion Thread!

By That Blasted Samophlange, in X-Wing Off-Topic

9 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

If anything, it kinda looks like an E-wing.

That's what I was gonna say. The E-Wing was recently re-canonized in Poe Dameron comics and showed up in a (non-canon) LEGO TV show, so I'm guessing that it's next on Disney's list of ships to bring back (like the Defender in Rebels)

I'm getting a Hayao Mayazaki vibe from the show, not in the animation, but in Myazaki's adoration of airplanes especially during WW2.

I'm thinking Porco Rosso

E-WING FIX!!!!

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, Sithborg said:

Yeah, it sounds like it is going to be a dog fight heavy show, which sounds fun. So, plenty of fodder for the game. Also, not CG, which is surprising. 2D, but specifically called out as anime style.

Dollars to donuts it was inspired by this.

Dollars to donuts, that linked video is better.

It's the new E-Wing.

3 hours ago, Kieransi said:

That's what I was gonna say. The E-Wing was recently re-canonized in Poe Dameron comics and showed up in a (non-canon) LEGO TV show, so I'm guessing that it's next on Disney's list of ships to bring back (like the Defender in Rebels)

wait what?! really? issue #? must go get

2 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

wait what?! really? issue #? must go get

Very minor cameo. This was all there was:

3 hours ago, Forresto said:

I'm thinking Porco Rosso

Misread this as "Poro Racer", and I'd play that game on my phone.

@Kieransi that's good enough for me.

odd it's in a museum setting...

but still, there is a chance it can be in more stories now! Here I thought the T70/85 were the replacements.

50 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

@Kieransi that's good enough for me.

odd it's in a museum setting...

but still, there is a chance it can be in more stories now! Here I thought the T70/85 were the replacements.

Fighter manufacturers ebb and flow. Some days it's Lockheed-Martin or Mikoyan-Gurevich making your top of the line fighter, some days it's Boeing or Sukhoi, and then sometimes it goes back the other way.

So there is really no problem with continuity, here. Indeed, it's almost suggested anyway - the T-65 X-Wing was made by Incom, the E-Wing made by FreiTek (according to the EU). And the T-70 X-Wing? Canonically made by Incom-FreiTek (IE., implying the two companies merge).

If the show is set before TFA, I wonder if we will find out anything about Snoke?

1 hour ago, xanderf said:

Fighter manufacturers ebb and flow. Some days it's Lockheed-Martin or Mikoyan-Gurevich making your top of the line fighter, some days it's Boeing or Sukhoi, and then sometimes it goes back the other way.

So there is really no problem with continuity, here. Indeed, it's almost suggested anyway - the T-65 X-Wing was made by Incom, the E-Wing made by FreiTek (according to the EU). And the T-70 X-Wing? Canonically made by Incom-FreiTek (IE., implying the two companies merge).

Weren't they already the same company? Just FreiTek being a wholly owned subsidiary of Incom after Incom was liberated/reconstituted from Imperial control?

star-wars-resistance-tall.jpg
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Four years ago we started the STAR WARS: REBELS thread and in that time, there were many against it and the content it provided. As the years crawled on, good will came to the Star Wars: Rebels thread, and it got quite a bit of traction, easily becoming one of the largest threads in the Fantasy Flight Games: X-Wing Subforums. Something we can all be very proud of!

The time has come once more for an animated series directed by franchise Veteran Dave Filoni! The same Dave Filoni who brought us the critically acclaimed Star Wars: The Clone Wars and most recently, Star Wars: Rebels. Soon, I'm sure Star Wars: Resistance will reach much of the same glowing praise, as its premise is quite unique to Star Wars, and aims to bring something wholly new to the Intellectual Property!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Star Wars: Resistance will follow the story of a young pilot by the name of Kazuda Xiono , a hotshot pilot recruited by General Leia Organa's Resistance to covertly gauge the ever growing strength of The First Order's forces! While the series will follow Kazuda and many new faces and ace pilots, we will see many familiar faces too, such as Poe Dameron and Captain Phasma of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi fame, who will be reprising their roles by Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie respectively! How cool is that? It's wonderful to me how seriously animation and gaming media are taken these days, often getting very enthusiastic actors to reprise their roles with little effort. It's great and far cry from the old days!

The idea for Star Wars: Resistance came from Dave Filoni's interest in WWII aircraft and their famous fighter pilots, and his grandfather was a fighter pilot as well, Dave's uncle, flying restored planes! It's a big influence and part of Filoni's life, and let's not kid ourselves around, we have to agree with Dave Filoni here, Star Wars has a lot of high speed stuff going on. It's essential to the Star Wars formula! Name one film without something going blazing fast, whizzing around all sorts of dangers. I'll wait! Finally, the show will be heavily inspired by anime, which is cool because there's all sorts of high octane anime out there- but I imagine chief influences are Gundam and Macross, but not quite in that order! You can also bet your top dollar that the famous TIE FIGHTER animation had a hand in inspiring this effort! Allegedly the whole team's wanted to do a cool anime-thing for a long time!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Personally, I'm expecting this series to take a fair bit of inspiration from ye olde Anime, largely, Robotech: Macross Saga. It's such a proper inspiration for something like this, and the aforementioned TIE Fighter animation proved Star Wars has the mettle for such a thing! Don't be too surprised if the show is mostly anime-looking with CG models, since that's quite inexpensive. Hand drawn would of course be preferable, but hey, it's 2018. Things are expensive!

I think this is gonna' be great, but remember, the path will be long and hard. There will be naysayers that say it's dead on arrival, and maybe even the pilot episode (ahah, I hadn't even considered that pun...) will be as blah as Rebels' pilot episode. But maybe it'll be extremely cool! One way or another, I say, hey, stick with it! It'll probably only get better.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
So no matter what happens, no matter who tells you your tastes are dumb and so on, enjoy what you want, go for it, have a good time, and above all else...

Don't let those thugs scare you!

Alright guys, there's the OP. Remember, if you're here to just go "Argh is kids show dead on arrival sequel trilogy is dead the last jedi ruined star wars forever raddahrabrarlgharhargggghhhhh", this thread probably ain't your thing..!

Everybody else? Feel free to discuss it, be it criticism or praise, it's welcome here.

Hey guys! Just want to let you know the full thread for Resistance is up! I'd be happy to let somebody else do it but, like. I was kinda' requested to so I did. It should be right there on the front page.

Hey guys! Just want to let you know the full thread for Resistance is up! I'd be happy to let somebody else do it but, like. I was kinda' requested to so I did. It should be right there on the front page.

I'm disappointed that Disney isn't branching out into different timelines. Their sequel-era trainwreck is probably going to continue from here on out. I'mm expecting a very, very close parody of Rebels in spirit (not necessarily plot or characters), with little to no meaningful plot or character development.

If Filoni does go back to his Clone Wars way and starts making quality episodes again, I'll be happy. But otherwise, this is not the kind of series I'd enjoy flying ships from.

Soooo waves 15-20 right here?

Would like to see something for Luke Skywalker more but getting more depth and information for the sequel trilogy stuff is always good. Since Filoni is working on this I hope we see return characters for Rebels.

46 minutes ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

Would like to see something for Luke Skywalker more but getting more depth and information for the sequel trilogy stuff is always good. Since Filoni is working on this I hope we see return characters for Rebels.

I don't think we'll see much of the likes of Luke. I kinda' figure this is set a bit after the time he's managed to vanish from the public eye, given how close to TFA it seems to be set. I can definitely see Rebels characters re-appearing, but I gotta' say, it'll be weird to see them so far ahead. I was expecting Resistance to be quite a bit before this particular time period.

It's hard to know what to expect.

19 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

I don't think we'll see much of the likes of Luke. I kinda' figure this is set a bit after the time he's managed to vanish from the public eye, given how close to TFA it seems to be set. I can definitely see Rebels characters re-appearing, but I gotta' say, it'll be weird to see them so far ahead. I was expecting Resistance to be quite a bit before this particular time period.

It's hard to know what to expect.

Yeah, agreed. Would love to see more about the Resistance and it's people. After the Poe comics been really interested in Black Squadron and everything they do. Would be nice to see more characterization for some that got killed so quick like Tallie Lintra.

13 minutes ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

Yeah, agreed. Would love to see more about the Resistance and it's people. After the Poe comics been really interested in Black Squadron and everything they do. Would be nice to see more characterization for some that got killed so quick like Tallie Lintra.

It'd be nice to pick her in Battlefront II 2 without thinking, "Literally who?"

Also can I just say, I'm very excited to fly this new ship as a hero in BFII2.

24 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

It'd be nice to pick her in Battlefront II 2 without thinking, "Literally who?"

Also can I just say, I'm very excited to fly this new ship as a hero in BFII2.

Ha! Glad i am not the only one who feels like that. Every other pilot in that game I feel excited to play but she is such an unknown character to me. Wish we saw more of her in the movie, cause man I love using her ship.

I just hope someone on his team can restrain him from including Ashoka, Sabine or anyone from Rebels in this without being willing to actually kill them off by the end of the series. Because that would raise another host of "Where were they during the movies?" questions. Or giving the Resistance a series of unrelenting wins that has us seriously questioning how the First Order was supposed to be a threat in "The Force Awakens". I can't fault him for his energy and enthusiasm but I felt at times he needed someone to tell him "No, that's silly even for Star Wars" during the last show he was in charge of.

55 minutes ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

Ha! Glad i am not the only one who feels like that. Every other pilot in that game I feel excited to play but she is such an unknown character to me. Wish we saw more of her in the movie, cause man I love using her ship.

Her ship is stealth-strong. People don't realize it but Tallie can proper shred.

26 minutes ago, Deimos said:

I just hope someone on his team can restrain him from including Ashoka, Sabine or anyone from Rebels in this without being willing to actually kill them off by the end of the series. Because that would raise another host of "Where were they during the movies?" questions. Or giving the Resistance a series of unrelenting wins that has us seriously questioning how the First Order was supposed to be a threat in "The Force Awakens". I can't fault him for his energy and enthusiasm but I felt at times he needed someone to tell him "No, that's silly even for Star Wars" during the last show he was in charge of.

It's a big galaxy. Characters don't have to die, there are thousands of possible stories. They'll meet their ends when they need to.

But we're hardly gonna' question how The First Order was a threat in TFA. They didn't know about Starkiller until TFA, so there's that.