STAR WARS: RESISTANCE Discussion Thread!

By That Blasted Samophlange, in X-Wing Off-Topic

How are we on page 9 with no content out yet?

Two threads were merged, so that will account for some of the length. And theorizing can take up quite a bit of space.

I miss my OP. :(

On 5/1/2018 at 7:35 AM, Alpha17 said:

The stars of the show will probably be something like "Wolf Pack Squadron," or a main character's call sign will be "Lone Wolf."

I am guessing this new show may be at least partially inspired by this, Black Sheep Squadron . If so, I hope the sheep eat the wolves for breakfast. Loved this show as a kid.

11 minutes ago, acesandeights said:

I am guessing this new show may be at least partially inspired by this, Black Sheep Squadron . If so, I hope the sheep eat the wolves for breakfast. Loved this show as a kid.

But even Pappy Boyington got shot down, and the Japanese pilots were usually depicted as being somewhat competent. Let's hope that's the trend they follow, and not Rebels .

Brief little first look of the characters and style.

SW_resistance_art.jpg

Am I the only one sort of disappointed in so few alien/droid characters? It looks like only one of the main cast is an alien and maye one is a droid aside from BB-8?.

9 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Am I the only one sort of disappointed in so few alien/droid characters? It looks like only one of the main cast is an alien and maye one is a droid aside from BB-8?.

It is one of the issues of having an (known) audience that consists of all humans. The audience can relate better to humans.

Also, in the galaxy far, far away, humans are the most common species.

The novels also explain some things, many republic (pre empire) planets did not join the New Republic, such as Ryloth, instead focusing on running independantly.

As Leia, and other leaders of the Resistance have hand picked every member of the resistance, mostly from republic military, it makes sense.

yes, I would love to see more alien races, but, it also comes down to cost. For every new alien, or clothing change, you have to do a new model, even if it is just the head. That costs time and money to create, rig, skin, etc.

We should be happy at least, that we seem to be getting a Rodian into the cast - likely using some assets from Rebels.

Of note, it seems the above picture puts an end to the possibility of this being a T-80 x-wing. While the logo picture made it a slim chance of it being, this shuts that door. Still, a decent looking ship from what I can tell.

Other things of note; the red trooper may be Cardinal, a member of the first order responsible for training young first order troops - Phasma being responsible for the final training of the older recruits.

Though previously depicted as a First Order Trooper in Red with a cape, this could be a new character altogether as the armour looks more like the TIE pilot armour - maybe an enemy Ace!

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

We should be happy at least, that we seem to be getting a Rodian into the cast - likely using some assets from Rebels.

That's not a rodian. image2.png

Kalleran

2 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

yes, I would love to see more alien races, but, it also comes down to cost. For every new alien, or clothing change, you have to do a new model, even if it is just the head. That costs time and money to create, rig, skin, etc.

Nope, 2d animation. It means that they have to create everything from scratch with every cel of animation. There are no rigs, just drawings, likely in some kind of program (hopefully not flash!). Its one of the things that makes me scratch my head since if they had gone with 3d they could have reused all the assets created for Rebels and Clone Wars aside from the character models due to a style change.

34 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Nope, 2d animation. It means that they have to create everything from scratch with every cel of animation. There are no rigs, just drawings, likely in some kind of program (hopefully not flash!). Its one of the things that makes me scratch my head since if they had gone with 3d they could have reused all the assets created for Rebels and Clone Wars aside from the character models due to a style change.

2D cellshading rendering of 3D assets

Edited by RedHotDice
19 minutes ago, RedHotDice said:

2D cellshading rendering of 3D assets

Did they say that somewhere? I've only heard of them doing 2D with the inspiration being anime focused. If they are doing that then that would be great since they could reuse so many assets!

3 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

That's not a rodian. image2.png

Kalleran

Not convinced, but possible. I still think a Rodian is more likely, as far as I can tell, the characters eyes seem larger than the humans and looking black. Looks like antannae and a mohawk, which rodians have.

2 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

I haven't heard anything about 2d animation, other than bring anime inspired, and there are 3d anime characters all over. The 2016 Berserk used this technique if I recall.

Frankly, 3d animation makes more sense, as assets from clone wars were used in rebels, and likely will in this.

Cost wise it is a cheaper form of animation, as well as easier to implement different camera angles mirroring film techniques.

As noted by @RedHotDice , there are cell shading rendering that can be done. The shadows on BB-8 in the logo and the ones on Poe’s neck have such a sharpness to them that it looks like this method.

4 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

That's not a rodian.

Kalleran

actually it looks more like a Nikto , with those spikes along the edge of the head . we see a lot of Nikto working for Jabba, and appearing in the Clone Wars show, so it would make sense they'd pick one for this show.

Edited by mithril2098
13 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I haven't heard anything about 2d animation, other than bring anime inspired, and there are 3d anime characters all over. The 2016 Berserk used this technique if I recall.

Please dear god, not Berserk, that shows looks horrible. Hopefully if they are going with cel shaded it will be closer to Windwaker or the like.

On 4/26/2018 at 4:40 PM, Sithborg said:

Yeah, it sounds like it is going to be a dog fight heavy show, which sounds fun. So, plenty of fodder for the game. Also, not CG, which is surprising. 2D, but specifically called out as anime style.

Oh dear - I hope we don’t get another set style in X-Wing. I wish they’d keep it consistency regardless of source material.

yes beserk looks so terrible compared to Windwaker.. ?

5349-SeriesHeaderAnime_Tier01_BZK_v2_200

aid3759838-v4-900px-Find-the-Bottles-in-

(if you can't notice.. i'm being sarcastic.)

19 minutes ago, mithril2098 said:

yes beserk looks so terrible compared to Windwaker.. ?

5349-SeriesHeaderAnime_Tier01_BZK_v2_200

aid3759838-v4-900px-Find-the-Bottles-in-

(if you can't notice.. i'm being sarcastic.)

Thats a bit disingenuous considering that the image is of a drawn promotional bit for Berserk as opposed to something from its actual show. Not to mention that the image of Link is from the original Windwaker on the Gamecube and not the HD release and I'd argue the celshading has helped it still look decently good.

lmyfjl.gif

Literally, from the show.

Image result for wind waker hd

Comparison between the rerelease and original. If they went with something more so on the left I could see the series looking great long down the line when people go back to it.

Edited by Animewarsdude

The quality of Berserk or Windwaker is not the point, I was only pointing out that it is possible to animate a cell shaded look.

The one scene from the show (berserk) shown is poorly animated, Guts’ hopping is meant to represent him walking. It makes me think the animators are inexperienced, wheras many of the Resistance animators are veterans of the Rebels and Clone Wars, and have a much more demanding employer, this will give us a more fluid animation.

Hey guys, just hopping in on this discussion. I love animation, I love Star Wars, I really like Dave Filoni's work. Super hyped for this series. My one hope is that we get a much better version of the First order.

This COULD be a chance to correct the disaster that is TLJ. Say, by having Luke dream it away. But somehow, I doubt Disney will seize this opportunity.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:03 AM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

The quality of Berserk or Windwaker is not the point, I was only pointing out that it is possible to animate a cell shaded look.

The one scene from the show (berserk) shown is poorly animated, Guts’ hopping is meant to represent him walking. It makes me think the animators are inexperienced, wheras many of the Resistance animators are veterans of the Rebels and Clone Wars, and have a much more demanding employer, this will give us a more fluid animation.

Japan rarely does great CG work, but the models look all sorts of off too. And you are right Filoni and his team have a lot more experience, I just hope they have a good cel shading effect on the show so that it doesn't look awkward at times.

3 hours ago, Sir Orrin said:

Hey guys, just hopping in on this discussion. I love animation, I love Star Wars, I really like Dave Filoni's work. Super hyped for this series. My one hope is that we get a much better version of the First order.

Pretty much the only reason I'm interested in the show aside from what can be added to X-Wing. Really hoping they actually give Phasma something to do, she is criminally underused in the films.

11 minutes ago, Firebird TMK said:

This COULD be a chance to correct the disaster that is TLJ. Say, by having Luke dream it away. But somehow, I doubt Disney will seize this opportunity.

That won't happen. They won't just retcon TLJ, for better or WORSE it is what we have. On the plus side, at least there is an entire 20 years worth of books, comics, and other material that we can enjoy as an alternative to how the OT cast was handed.

22 minutes ago, Firebird TMK said:

Not a chance, especially not on an animated show targeted at kids. TLJ happened. Now we wait and see how JJ handles the end of the trilogy.

12 minutes ago, dsul413 said:

Not a chance, especially not on an animated show targeted at kids. TLJ happened. Now we wait and see how JJ handles the end of the trilogy.

Pretty sure episode 9 will be good enough to appease if not justify everything that happened in TLJ

2 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Pretty sure episode 9 will be good enough to appease if not justify everything that happened in TLJ

I hope you're right. I have faith in JJ.